rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/: >Thread question
How would YOU make a ghost pirate?

RE:
Why do you people let WotC get away with shit like saying that "the bard gets ritual casting and the sorcerer doesn't because the bard studies and the sorcerer is a prodigy" (they're a prodigy and thus they utterly lose out on an amazing feature???) while simultaneously putting spells like teleportation circle on the sorcerer's spell list?

Pirates can't be ghosts because ghosts don't have booty.

>ghosts don't have booty

This is the internet, I guarantee someone has a picture that proves you wrong.

Trolley question. A is the illusion of choice. B is open world. Trolley heading straight toward A. You can choose to pull the lever and switch to B.

I did a rework/rebalance of the Lolth pact that Mike Mearls posted on Twitter a few days ago.

What do you guys think?

Incorporeal butts are to booty as illusory apricots are to nourishing food.

Original, for reference.

>Many expanded spells are already on the warlock spelllist
Is he even trying?

If my group is a good group open world is generally better, if my group has bad players I'd rather just be railroaded and have my fun along the path instead of the retards taking utterly pointless detours every thirty feet.

>In my made up theory room Tiamat starts directly in front of the archer
Why?

>Otherwise my level 1 wizard with a dagger can beat her by Tiamat starting bound entirely by adamantium with only a dagger sized portion of her belly left bare
I don't think Tiamat is into bondage, but she'll gut your autistic wizard like a squealing pig. You just don't offer yourself as food like that, there's no dignity to that.

His scenario is possible, yours entirely isn't.

Can a level 1 wizard with shocking grasp solo Tiamat?

It is kinda disheartening to see one of the game's main designers TOTALLY NOT UNDERSTAND how warlock expanded spells work.

It's Mearls. I don't know what you're expecting.

But honestly the expanded spells should work like the cleric ones.

Legendary action are not reaction.

But the wizard can use dash to get behind Tiamat.

Well it is just Mearls homebrew. For all we know they do gain all those spells in his games

No, fuck that. They should encourage people to build their characters in a certain way, not just hand them three million spells just because.

Just count to potato.

She has limited magic immunity, up to 6th level spells.

Warlocks don't learn the spells on their expanded spell list unless they CHOOSE to learn them.

Thus, any spell that's on a warlock expanded spell list should be a spell that's NOT on their actual spell list, because all the expanded list does is broaden the potential choices. On Mearl's expanded spell list, ~4 of the spells there are already on the core warlock list.

But shocking grasp is a cantrip, not a spell.

But by giving them more spells they don't use anything. Its actually the opposite, because when you want to be viable you are pretty much forced to pick certain choices (like hex, or agonizing blast with the invocations). Giving you more extra spells (especially more mandatory things) encourages you to take things you normally wouldn't

Are you legitimately literally retarded?

Cantrips are 0th level spells.

*they don't loose anything

Casters in a nut shell, they have no fucking idea what they're doing or how anything works.

Cantrips are spells. If a mechanic demands a non-cantrip spell, it would specify "a level 1 spell slot or higher".

But will continue to say bullshit.

Wait so I can cast infinite spells? That's pretty good.

Yes. Infinite spell slot 0 spells, AKA cantrips.

I thought druids and wizards are the only two that get ritual casting unless you get the feat

I can store a bunch of firebolts using the ready action and then 1-shot Tiamat then.

You'd be wrong. WotC is literally retarded. "You're a prodigy so you can't cast rituals xD"

Cantrips are all under the spells section in the PHB, you fucking illiterate, autistic monkey. Read the fucking book.

Why are you all so easily baited?

Bards/Clerics/Druids/Wizards can cast rituals, as can Warlocks if they go tome pact.

Which, really, why wouldn't you.

Can you not actually read? Are you legitimately literally retarded? She is immune to 6th level and lower spells, you fucking imbecile.

Well that's why I'm asking, I was gonna run a School of Blades Bard and I was gonna grab detect magic as a backup but it'll be more useful if I can ritual it, a fellow player told me only Wizzaros and Droods can ritual

>Whale joins into Curse of Strahd campaign for one session
>She's playing a cleric, which we all were fine with as we were lacking one
>We get into an encounter and I cast Darkness on a segregated group (Shadow Monk) and teleported in
>Unfortunately our sorcerer strayed away from our party to poke at corpses before the encounter started and gets caught in the darkness
>Sorcerer gets hit a couple time but is still up
>Cleric reveals she's a light cleric and immediately dispels my darkness to save the sorcerer
>I get knocked unconscious due to being nearby the enemy

I was quite annoyed that she did this as it caused the party to be basically surrounded immediately after I went down. I should mention that the sorcerer was the reason the encounter happened and that he is almost consistently useless. Am I wrong for frustrated at these events?

The problem with that logic, especially with the example given, is that the must haves of a warlock are must haves because they're cheap and require minimal investment. So investment was never really an issue. Now instead of me making a cautious choice to take certain spells that might be less effective you limit the amount of avenues one can differentiate ones character, whilst also bloating a characters spell list with shit he might not ever care about.

>You point at one creature you can see within range, and the sound of a dolorous bell fills the air around it for a moment.

How can you justify this attack deals any damage at all?

Chain can be really good.

But if they're all combined at once they'd be better than meteor swarm, so it'd work.

Rituals are great. Sorcerers being denied rituals because they're too good for rituals (?) ain't great.

Baiting by actually being a literally legitimate retard is not baiting.
They need to put you in special ed school and give you a helmet for life.

It's magic sound. Ya know - cuz it's a magic spell.

It's important to know whether the other members of the party are idiots that will get you killed, and to plan your character accordingly.

That's a seems a bit shit, I think Web DM hit it on the head in their sorc episode about how Sorc gets fucked up. I feel like Metamagic should be way fucking better to makeup for no rituals, no expanded spell lists, a smaller spell list than wizards, no way to gain extra spells over time etc.

We had a battle royale tonight and the barb is salty that bells hurt him

You cast it, nothing happens. Roll a new character with the caveat that you don't contribute something so utterly worthless.

>Chain can be really good.

Not sure if serious, chain seems like it's the worst available option, since tome can get Find Familiar as a ritual.

Unless you count the new Chain invocation in Xanathar's, in which case all hail the ridiculous chain tank multiclass build.

Help! Never played 5e before and trying to decide between a shadow monk or kensei monk using polearms

Also: what’s an effective way to build both?

Death toll on his soul as the bell ring.

They've caught on a little bit with the divine soul and especially the shadow sorc being pretty good mechanically, but it's not good enough to compensate for all the ways they're shafted compared to wizard. I'm working on some sorc archetypes rn - might just try an overhaul of the class at a later date.

I think he needs to appreciate the whole "magic" thing.

But I can use the dash action to run behind Tiamat - why am I dead?

An invisible flying and possibly shapeshifting familiar with a decent stealth check that I can look through the eyes of, resummon endlessly, and which can deliver spells ain't bad son.

What polearm did you have in mind? All of the 'traditional' polearms are Heavy and can't be used by kensei

In most cases I would agree with but this person was there for only a single session, so I would assume she would y'know try not to play anything contradicting the main party's dynamic. That's what I do when I'm in those situations if I'm ever a one-off player

But just like you said, they don't have to use them. You can just as well differentiate your character with some extra spells.

Let's take invocations as an example again. Tell me how many invocations do you have at level 2 that you can choose? Unless you go Hexblade (which weren't a thing when the PHB came out) the answer is 1. You will always take agonizing blast unless you want to royally fuck up. Same goes for cantrips, because with only 2 cantrips one of them will always be eldritch blast.

Now if you got them for free, you would get more options to differentiate your character.

And that is just what the cleric's domain spells do. Of course the life cleric will take cure wounds and revivify.

Well my DM gave my Sorc buddy an expanded spell list that works like the Cleric's, it seems like it's helping him out.

Not him, but is a Spear heavy?

Spears are not Heavy, but they're also not very good. Doesn't matter that much for a kensei, I suppose

How am I supposed to knock the target prone exactly?

I imagine in that the bells awaken a primal fear inside the target that weakens their resolve

Are there actually any good spells with a range of touch that the warlock can deliver through his familiar?

Did you try reading the text in the image you posted?

An expanded spell list is okay if it works like the cleric's. I think sorc should just start out with 2 more known spells right from level 1.

Am I the only one who thinks that the free knock prone is really overpowered? The target should at least get a saving throw.
You can knock a giant prone by just hitting it with a normal attack roll.

The story
>Paladin of the god Tyr
>On a holy crusade to genocide all abberations, monstrosities, fiends, undead and exceptional criminals
>Recruiting as many followers to his crusades as possible(in the form of skilled workers)
>Even sought help from the Fey being given a psuedo dragon as an act of good will

The mechanics
>2Paladin >3 warlock(pact of chain) > 5+ fighter(battle master)
>2 paladin slots for smite, and 2 2nd level, short rest-regaining slots from warlock, also for smite.
>Battle masteries: commander's strike, Maneuvering strike, Pushing strike for commanding and protecting my fellow crusaders

I think this character might be pretty fun. Tips on making him better?

>inb4 hurdur multiclassing

Eh not really.
It's handy for scouting and help spam. Really, really handy for scouting.

Oh no not prone. Whatever shall they do?

Prone is not a crippling condition, and warlock spell slots are few to begin with. I think it's fine.

>handy for help spam
Don't fill his head with dumb memes user.

>You can knock a giant prone by just hitting it with a normal attack roll.
And spending a Warlock spell slot. Those don't grow on trees, you know.

But that's a good use of it's action. If something uses an attack to swing at it you've already won.

What is the best class and why is it thief rogue?

it's level 14+ illusionist wizard

You should treat your little buddy better, and not constantly get them killed for something totally trivial.

Besides, you could only ready one fire bolt per turn and if you don’t use it by the time of your next turn, you no longer have it readied.
Tl;dr READ NIGGA

Why are you arguing about the rules if you don't understand how the game works? Protip: you're not a rogue or monk.
Read the fucking book and stop contributing worthlessness.

My familiar is made of my magic and exists for the sole purpose of serving me. It is literally your creation.

If you were sent to Faerun, what race and class would you pick?

A spear is already a monk weapon by default, you don’t even need to be a kensei.

What if I cast timestop and store more firebolts?

But I don't need to be a rogue or monk to use the dash action...? Pic related.

Just because you create something doesn't mean it exists for the sole purpose of serving you user.

Do you exist for the sole purpose of serving your parents?

>illusionist
That's the strangest autocorrect for "Diviner" I've ever seen

My parents didn't create me. Humans don't create anything at all - we put existing things together. I certainly do exist for the purpose of serving God though.

Seriously, how much longer are you going to feed this fucker? Again, how are you so easily baited?

can you even use warlock spell slots to cast smite?

Illusionist capstone puts it above diviner. It's why "14+" was specified.

Yes.

Errata.

Time stop just lets you take extra turns. The readied firebolts will still disappear.

Also it's called "find familiar", not "create familiar".

But if I shoot them they don't move because time is stopped, so I can ready more firebolts and then shoot them so they're stored in time.

This man understands.

I disagree with your interpretation of the result, I find that the domain spells being always on, is more of a way to give them some inherent value in the eyes of a class that has its entire spell list. But I digress, the main reason I tend to disagree with you is that it essentially dilutes the theme of my character, you say that I'm not forced to use certain spells but with that same logic I was never forced to use eldritch blast or pick up agonizing blast. Its the fact that I chose which angle I wanted my warlock to take that made that choice matter, giving every fiend warlock the entire expanded spell list lessens that impact and moves casters torwords having more spells known then they actually need.

I better be level 9+ because I swear to Christ on a bike if I'm getting sent to another dimension while I'm level 5 AGAIN I'm going to surgically implant d4s into my DM's nipples.
Also probably High Elf Feylock tome pact. That way if they fuck with me they'll have my boss to answer to, and I have less of a chance of someone drawing dicks on my face.

Do all of your characters live only to serve the d&d gods? Polytheistic gods are always such shitters, sounds like a drag.

You could still only suspend a maximum of one fire bolt mid-air before time...
Be honest. This entire thing is just shitposting isn’t it

You can look at sage advice for this.

>muh skydaddy

>Do all of your characters live only to serve the d&d gods?
I'd say they exist for whatever purpose they were created. So you'd have to ask whatever gods you're talking about why they made humans.

If I can store firebolts in time, then Tiamat can't move. And if Tiamat can't move, I can dash behind her and use shocking grasp.

Diviner:
>replaces enemy saves that he sees
>gets spells back just for casting information gathering spells
>can see invisible shit all the time, or ethereal shit if you need to
>has a bigger dick
Nah m8, illusionist is cool and all but Diviner is GOAT.

Or whatever race you're talking about.