Leman Russ

Why do so many people make fun of the leman russ for not having sloped armour? Maybe I am just an idiot, but I don't really see how useful sloped armor is when you are dealing with meltas or plasmas or other non physical projectile based anti armor weaponry. I mean aside from the imperium, tyranids and tau, does any other faction use physical projectile based at weaponry? And the leman russ was designed before the imperium needed to fight the nids or tau.

Other urls found in this thread:

mraverage.deviantart.com/art/Centurion-Main-Battle-Tank-704476859
vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/novan-regulars-centurion-main-battle-tank/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_tank
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It depends on the models. I love the looks of the Exterminator and Vanquisher, but the other ones look like something is missing from the front half.

I see. I personally like all variants of the Russ for some reason.

Well they have sloped armor on the front. I like using that, and even if they aren't true ballistic projectiles, angles matter, like if a plasma shot went into a flat surface, it would penetrate and melt way easier than it being against a slope, since more of the speed and heat would be dispersed. Not sure about meltas though

I see. I still feel like the design is justified in the context of the 40k universe.

>regimental-standard.com/2017/10/25/the-history-of-the-imperium-tanks-of-old-terra/

Everyone read this

At the time the Russ was designed, the Imperium's enemies consisted primarily of less advanced alien species, rebel elements, and uncontacted human colonies, all of whom relied substantially on conventional weaponry.

>regimental-standard.com/2017/10/25/the-history-of-the-imperium-tanks-of-old-terra/
will do

guess I was wrong then. Or maybe the imperium just believed in drowning them with bodies, and cared more about fire power than survivalibity

>aside from the imperium, tyranids and tau, does any other faction use physical projectile based at weaponry?
Orks use physical projectiles. So would Chaos using bolters and such.

Also aren't Eldar Shuriken catapults a physical projectile weapon.

The Leman Russ does have sloped armour though.

People make fun of it because it has no suspension.

The imperium spends 75% of it's effort fighting itself or orks. Both use conventional arms heavily.

Also, sloped armor would work just fine against energy weapons. It increases the thickness of the armor from the angle of attack. Shots wouldn't bounce as easily though plasma probably still would, but it primarily increases thickness and that works regardless.

The lack of sloped armor is one tiny thing of many that make the Russ look like shit. It's also an ancient kit with little detail and bad molding issues.

It also rolls forward when on a slope and it's tracks are so thin it would barely work in dry sand let alone any sort of mud. Its super tall for no reason as well. It's loaded with shot traps, the gun couldn't work without killing this loader because the turret is impossibly small, and it has no suspension so driving over simple rocks would throw off aim and give the passengers concussions.

It does almost every possible thing wrong.

and that's why it's great.

I hate it so much but it's never going to get fixed. It's in too much art.

Sloped armor would mean more plate any energy would have to burn through, it makes sense both ways, you're right.

For Tau you want to just not get hit and the Russ is fuckheug so there a massive issue right there. Otherwise the Imperium spends most of it's time on Orks who use projectile rounds and themselves who would use the either autoguns and solid shells or lasguns and energy weapons looted/stolen/whatever from Imperium sources.

No matter what Slope would be beneficial, especially with the space-magic-bullshit materials they use in the armor for those things.

Then again, there are lots of ways to slope apparently flat armor plate, the Germans do it with the Leopard. Pic related.

I think the biggest issues are the dumb proportions of the thing and the suspension honestly, the armor is just because the designers wanted some WW1 bullshit.

I just use this in any non-wargame stuff for 40k. Had it be a local variant in an Only War game.

can I have a link to this tank?

>modeling tanks after obsolete shitpiles
>no active defense systems or cool modern tech
boooooooooooooorrrrring

Because they are realismfag fuckwits who think they know more about a topic than they actually do.

Not only is their WW2 tank armor knowledge flawed, they know fuck all about the last 50 years of armor design. They probably think the Abrams has monolithic blocks of ceramic in it.

In conclusion, they're nitpicking fuckwits for a fantasy game that don't actually know about the subject about which they are trying to offer their expertise.

modern tanks don't have lasers or plasmas or flame throwers. I think we all know what the true boring tanks are.

Attacking the enemy with a cavalry sabre from the turret hatch would be all but impossible due to its awkward position, even if the crew drove the officer very close.

lol

>strawmanning this hard
t. autistic 40kiddo

>overcompensating this hard

Here's the artist who drew it
mraverage.deviantart.com/art/Centurion-Main-Battle-Tank-704476859

And here's the place to buy it
vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/novan-regulars-centurion-main-battle-tank/

It's epic scale (I think) and I think a lot of their catalog is too. The company does a bunch of (not)40k molds. A lot look like shit but some are neat looking and pretty much all of them are good enough to use if you want to.

I mean to be fair, realism in a fantasy setting should be only applied to a certain extent,

cool, thank you

Happy to help, my dude!

The kit is like 25 years old and looks like shit. Stop defending it, it's a dumb looking design even if you ignore the fact that it makes no fucking sense.

Proportionate Russ coming through.

I think it looks cool. Not arguing that it makes sense or is the best tank ever but it looks cool. A lot of stuff in the 40k universe makes no sense or is just done for the cool or grimdark factor.

I wish this was the standard design. Looks way better.

Reasonably sized barrels in 40k make me rigid, holy shit

"Dude, I called Bolter"
"No fuck you, it's my turn"
"Would you two cut it the fuck out?"
"Emperor dammit, these assholes are going to argue the whole trip now..."

The kit is outdated, but the design is fine for the baroque, industrial silliness that is 40K.

Ok, I laughed.

You'd change your tune the moment something better came out. Just like what happened with marine dreads when the heresy dreads came out, deldar raiders, the rhino and land raider, the battlewagon, and every other redesign gw has ever redone.

You have Stockholm syndrome. It's a bad model.

I don't get what you are trying to say. Just because I find the new models better that doesn't mean I think the old model is shit

But the old models ARE shit. By comparison. There is just no new model to make the LR look like shit yet. There may never be an official one, but it would be pretty easy to release a tank and it'd look better almost by default because the LR is almost indefensibly bad.

It's nostalgic in the way 70s Soviet cars are, but it's bad by almost every metric beyond indefinable taste that one can measure a designs quality.

>Sloped russ

Here ya go.

The only thing that boths me about the Russ is the sponsons. Sponsons feel exceptionally silly to me for some reason.

Only the Land Raider really makes them work, visually.

They stopped using sponsons pretty fast after ww1 because they're a terrible idea and machine guns got a lot better. The leman Russ is a weird ww1 tank. It doesn't even fit the games "WW2 in space" aesthetic.

But without sponsons where would I put my Russ's other two heavy flamers?

what game is this? im new here but the tanks look cool

I always figured the sponsons were more for table top benefit than anything else.

no i know its warhammer but i thought it was space marines against monsters

>WW2 in space"
The guard is WWI in space.

Nah it's totally WW2. Hence the infantry machine guns, tank lines, mobile artillery, and bombers. They use Soviet tactics with American equipment and Nazi clothing. There's also a lot of Korean and Vietnam war stuff in there too. Not a ton of ww1 outside of death korps and tallarns.

Out the sides of the turret probably. Or the front/back. Generally having holes in the side of your tank for more dakka defeats the point of it being a tank because now you're just covering it in holes.

Coaxial mounting or controlling extra guns by wire on top of the tank is 1970s technology.

I can only think of one example of a tank with a revolving turret and sponsons outside of 40k.

Fairly high chances that it was deliberate.

The Russ first turned up in Epic in like 1994 was it? 5 years after the Last Crusade.

>REEEEEEEE REALISM

My dick

On second check the Russ came out for epic in 1990-1991 seemingly.

The OG Russ is heavily based on the FT-17. Sorry mate, but I don't think they're that connected.

It would be so easy to introduce a new Russ model and just say caul updated the chassis. We have like 40 marks of predator and rhino with the same stats, just do it like this for the Russ.

The Imperium of Man doesn't have enough Space Marines for them to do all the work. The Imperial Guard provides the unaugmented-human grunts.

>It's epic scale (I think)
i own some (both leman russes and centurians in epic scale) i can confirm they are roughly epic scale.
they are much better than the churchillian which is machanerius sized.
but they are still slightly wider than lemans.
just a bit enough to pass

Those look like tiny little sponsons on the side to me, aren't they?

The OG Baneblade in 1990 for sure has sponsons and a rotating turret.

It's canon that Forge Worlds can produce local tanks, Gaunts Ghosts has Urdesh make a local Light Tank, MBT, some Super Heavy, as well as an armored car halftrack thing.

Push comes to shove just get the model you want, slap Russ stats on it, and call it a localy designed MBT and if anyone gets snippy just bundle all your GG's Omnibus' together with a belt and use it as a flail.

Also, have another decent looking Russ.

Even if you don't have any chance of deflecting shots the armour is still thicker due to trig.

The current kit was released in '09 or '10 it's pretty new

And the Leman Russ which is an upsized Renault FT-17 (a ww1 tank)

yes they look very similar don't they :)

Funny enough, the FT is also the basis for some of the Grott tank models.

>badmouthing the wacky glory of world war tank design

Get that shit opinion outta my face

Leman Russ is not really hiding anything of being the result of the guys at GW paying a visit to Bowington.

The tractor engine and all the other little things about Leman Russ are all just retellings of the actual WW1 British tanks.

When they updated the Russ kit why didn't they just make it look like this? So much better.

Still better than the T-34.

sloped armor helps against most types of weapons, not just solid shot.

Think about how if you have a piece of armor angled at 45*. That means that a weapon trying to penetrate it has to get through more steel than if that same plate was at 90.

Pic related explains it best.

I was thinking about slopes. They obviously better at close range but at range with parabolic arcs etc then they will start helping the shell right?

Modern and/or futuristic penetrators of the type that would be able to penetrate the Russ in the first place move so fast that the angle of the armor doesn't give much of a difference in performance. It's why tanks like the Merkava have apparent shot traps: it the shot doesn't puncture the armor, it basically vaporizes from the velocity, with little chance of ricochet.

Because it’s a Day 1 tank knowledge oversimplification meme.

Most sections of the latest Leopard 2s are square as anything on a Russ.

Why are the smoke grenade projectors designed to kill the driver?

that's ugly as shit though

>it's a dumb looking design
You just have no taste.
The model needs an updated sprue, though.

Officers still carry sabres, cavalry is a thing and commissars are everything. Kriegers and Steel Legion even have greatcoats. How retarded do you have to be to think it's WW2?

>Also aren't Eldar Shuriken catapults a physical projectile weapon.
True, but they're not really anti tank weapons.

People wore great coats in ww2 though. Also see steel legion.

There's a reason nobody likes WW2 fags and and modern fags and this thread illustrates this reason.
Go dress up as SS or soemthing and fuck off from 40k.

Sloped armor is still "thicker" for the same weight. Take a 4'x4'x3/8" plate of steel, and shoot it head on. You only need to penetrate 3/8" of steel. Now turn it on its side and shoot the edge. You need to penetrate around 100 times further to get all the way through.

Steel legion wear basically fallschirmjaeger outfits

Just leave and masturbate to Dunkirk, autist

>40k is a setting that has reactors literally running on blood, space marines gaining memories by eating brains and people swinging chainsaw swords around
>there are literally people so autistic they complain about tanks not having sloped armor in such a setting
I'm absolutely baffled. How do you even function in reality?

Sloped armor stopped counting in our world already, thanks to special armors (like layered) and ERA. Modern weapons back so much punch any advantage sloped steel armor would give is negligible.

user, it§s the 40k fan base.

It's not something I would complain about, but I just think sloped armor looks cooler. I understand that aesthetic values are not the same for everyone. Realism never factored into it for me.

Tell me you don't think the IS-3 armor profile looks rad as fuck. I would kill to see a GW/FW variant of a leman russ, predator, or even a new tank inspired by this thing.

>It's also an ancient kit
Are you stupid?

>Also, sloped armor would work just fine against energy weapons. It increases the thickness of the armor from the angle of attack. Shots wouldn't bounce as easily though plasma probably still would, but it primarily increases thickness and that works regardless.
It also increases the surface area contacted by the plasma/melta/whatever which doesn't hurt either.

Well you really have to consider the enemies the Leman Russ will be fighting.

Orks for example. They run fast and like to charge. What do you do when you have a dozen orks banging on your hull in all directions and all you have is a turret gun that can't traverse low enough or a precision laser in the frontal hull?

>>ball turret for the HB.
>>still way to small turret.
>> retarded exposed viewing slit for the driver, who neither him or the gunner for the HB have any way of exiting the tank.
>> still no ground clearance.

this one is pretty sensible althought it looks a bit back heavy and still stuck with a small turret - is it a kit or a one of conversion?

I think that tank looks like a zit.

Only a million or so Marines in the entire Empire. They are the Special Forces elite, performing surgical strikes at command centers or key positions. The Guardsmen are the massed infantry and tank armies who man all the fortresses, airfields, trenchlines, cities, etc and perform the major battles.

Most 40k vehicles are like that, guns placed all over it like flies on shit, with no concept of fire arcs, etc. I mean check out the Taurox with it's autocannons glued to the sides of the hull and apparently aimed by the driver?! They also kill anyone using the side doors. 8th edition got rid of 'fire arcs of the model' because the vehicle designs were getting more and more retarded.

From what I can see, conversation.

I got the picture offhand on Veeky Forums and never followed up.

Without looking up anything, I'm pretty sure flamethrowers have been put on tanks.

It has, just that it's worthless. Here, this is their inspiration
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_tank

what's more egregious is 40k fighters still using guns as their primary weapons when beyond visual range guided missiles should would be an ancient and simple weapon in the time of 40k, even if you take in to account the decay the Imperium went through

Pretty sure the Taurox has safety locks to prevent accidental friendly fire, also how does this conversion look? Just primed it yesterday.