Paizo Games General /pgg/

/pgg/ - In Space edition

Have your Pathfinder characters gone to space? Were your Starfinder characters thrown into the distant past? Tell us all about it!

/pgg/ Unified Link Repository (trove contains all current leaked PDFs in Starfinder folder): pastebin.com/YLikTing

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Previous Threads:

Things to do:
Celebrate the death of /sfg/
Talk about games
Play games

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/crusader-s-flurry/
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93553/a-wizard-tower
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93719/welcome-to-north-high
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94913/pointy-hats-or-gods-blessing-on-this-wonderful-tower
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94777/the-fields-of-asphodel
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/quick-reposition-combat/
app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5794993/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

WE'RE BACK /PGG/AS!

I need help building cancer. Is there any way for to treat a martial weapon as if it's unarmed?

Not to my knowledge. There's a few things about treating natural weapons and unarmed attacks as manufactured, but nothing that treats manufactured weapons as natural.

There's Crusader's Flurry, but it's not really what you're looking for.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/crusader-s-flurry/

based op
anyway, yeah mechanics are a super fun class. powerful too. engineering appears to be the god skill of the game, ive used it to build a weapon, patch a hole in a ship, identify armor and weapons, investigate ship components, disarm traps.

droids are amazingly powerful and fun as well. im using my hover droid to tow prisoners through space from a derelict ship to the brig of our ship

its a fun game, and having a blast so far. i want to DM my own game too, once i work up the courage to actually start it.

>Celebrate the death of /sfg/
thats not a good thing user. /sfg/ was a good place

Does anyone actually play Starfinder? It seems to have bombed pretty hard, and with good reason.

Anyone have experience with playing female characters as a male in voice games? My voice is extremely fucking male so I don't know how I could pull off someone dainty.

You don't have to do voices, it's always cringey when someone does.

No, fuck you, take your trash to your fucking garbage compactor of a thread and let /pfg/ be.

>acting in a RPG

Just describe her actions.

Calm down /pgg/a.

Just take on the mannerisms of the character rather than trying to fake a voice; for instance, a noblewoman should talk with a more refined, barely-stilted tone and little in the way of contractions or swearing, while a mercenary or barbarian chick would swear all the fuckin' time and shorten words whenever they're too long to say all quick.

Yes. Just don't try to actually sound like a woman and you will do fine. At best heighten your a bit or talk a little more gently.

Unless you sound like a bear then just say everything in your normal voice.

Is anyone following Ruins of Azlant? Any good?

I've been looking for the 2nd and 3rd PDFs actually.

Fuck your grilled cheese metaphor. Pathfinder has flaws, and it's alright to appreciate the flaws as something that gives the game its unique qualities, but claiming that the game is all the better for having them and defending Paizo for refusing to fix them will only make the game stagnate and rot.

Paizo's decision to avoid power creep is a noble one to have, but ultimately is hurting the game itself as they introduce new mechanics that they're too afraid of becoming gamebreaking, and keep kneecapping every new mechanic, feat, and class in hopes that it won't push the power ceiling in their game. This leads to classes like the Shifter and the Corruption mechanics from Horror Adventures, which are promising in theory but intentionally terrible to prevent clever power-gamers from breaking the game with them. This leads to a game where each new book has one, maybe two options that are worth cherry-picking while the original classes and options that Paizo made back when they were still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed will continue to be the most consistently useful ones available.

In a way that can be a good thing; 3.5's problem was the abundance of options that were better than the vanilla classes which led to a constant race to one-up the last book's power level, which ultimately hurt the game as inexperienced players simply couldn't keep up with the experienced ones, leading to a decline in new customers. In Paizo's case, however, their paranoia of introducing anything that could overshadow their original options has led to the reverse problem where experienced players don't trust the company to write anything 'fun,' leading to a reliance on 3rd party content and pirating books. It hurts the company and it hurts the community; the only people it doesn't hurt are the 3rd party publishers who benefit from veteran players being fed up with Paizo's design philosophy but still want to see the game improve.

How does Lycanthropy work with Dhampirs?

In other words, what happens if a dhampir survives an attack from a werewolf?

Dhampirs are still humanoid, and thus capable of being infected.

What would you guys think about a campaign where every PC is undead (say, letting everyone pick a +2 CR undead template)? Anyone ever played/run a game like that?

Thank you. Though it does seem kind of weird

Why? Pathfinder as a universe isn't one where being a vampire werewolf is impossible.

Currently recruiting games:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93553/a-wizard-tower
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93719/welcome-to-north-high
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94913/pointy-hats-or-gods-blessing-on-this-wonderful-tower

don't forget
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94777/the-fields-of-asphodel

>GM: Rand O
100% bamboozle.

spiked gauntlets, to a degree
also scissors i think

God you're a cancerous fuck.

Decided to give another sStarfinder race a shot, based on old Chinese myths that work better in a sci-fi game than in pure fantasy. Jade Rabbits in space.

Very much in Alpha (And designed with the fact in mind that from level 5, people can have functionally infinite flight with a jump pack + batteries, since batteries can be recharged for free in a spaceship. The Yutu's jumps lack the easy finesse in 3D movement of flight but they do allow for much faster movement.)

Still tinkering about with a few ideas for actual spaceships for them (Will add them when I've got solid ideas) since their nature means they'd have rather different ships than most (A lack of need for oxegen seals unless other races are onboard for example and travelling rather than having permanent shipyards).

That's what got Ascetic Style banned, wasn't it?

What ever happened to the shortstack archer meme? I thought it was a good meme, a cute one

Shortstacks can't use bows that are as long, which has all sorts of ramifications on the effectiveness of longbow archery.

>I thought it was a good meme, a cute one
I agree completely.

>Shortstack Archer
>Not crossbows or guns
I know they're mechanically inferior, but they're much more aesthetically functional with that body type. Alternatively, just make them a mage.

Indeed, they can only use shortbows and shortswords.

Has anyone played/made a Spheres of Power game where Talents or Spheres were locked into certain traditions for world-building reasons?

Crossbows are not aesthetically functional at all when you start to imagine a heavy crossbow shooting four shots in six seconds. You have to start imagining some kind of repeating bow, but really then they're basically guns.

Been trying to make a setting with that, however I never finished it, and I could never decide on what sort of magical tradition would suit humanity the best

Depends on what aspect of humanity you want to focus on or just make your own tradition.

In the setting, humans tend the be the most durable, adaptable, and martially oriented of the races, yet are also considered to be very hot headed and prone to rushing around and making mistakes a lot. In general, most forms of martial arts and fighting styles are developed and perfected by humanity, and they tend to be more physically oriented and less prone to mysticism and esoteric crafts.

it's part of the setting lore about how Humans were not intentionally created, but we're accidentally born when magelords of the old race were overthrown, and in the resulting chaos the blank protoforms from their magical/genetic experiments ended up escaping and wandering off unsupervised. They were meant to by physically mutable and adaptable for easier alteration, while still being weak and not too dangerous mentally, so the humans descended from those escaped experiments and freezer-beings inherited a bit of that over the years

How should I build my Musket Master?

How much damage would I be losing if I dexfagged with just a dagger instead of a two hander dex weapon? What if I was using Riven Hourglass?

By making a Gun Chemist instead

>with good reason
Because the skirmish mechanics are superior to Pathfinder?

Just started the first and it’s a solid start to an adventure.

Get outta here smug gnome!

A lot.

Let's say you have a +4 Dex modifier.
1d4's average is 2.5, so your average damage is 6.5.
Elven Curve Blade gets 1d10, average of 5.5, and if it gets x1.5 Dex, then it gets +6 to damage so your average is 11.5.

Nearly a whole second attack with 5 damage on average. Even when the elven curve blade rolls minimum damage it beats the average of a dagger by .5 and only loses to the max damage of it by 1.

And we're not even getting into crits. Basic math here, user.

So would it be a decent enough handicap to offset Rapid Strike and Minute Hand spam?

At that point, you might as well pick up a rapier or something and do SOME damage.

I think it could have been better without the summoner, the magnitude of that fuck up probably scarred them.

Rapid Strike and Minute Hand is broken.

Friendly reminder that Gareth...

Got burned by Ssalarn.

Turns out that Gareth never even played Pathfinder even after writing for PoW1.

Explains a lot, right?

That's why I'm looking to handicap myself.

>Turns out that Gareth never even played Pathfinder even after writing for PoW1.

Honestly, I'd call bullshit on that one. But, you know, this is just an online shitflinging between two people and not really relevant here.

>Turns out that Gareth never even played Pathfinder even after writing for PoW1.
You're probably right - he probably hasn't been a player in a campaign since then. He's been too busy running games in his little free time to play. After all, there was LITERALLY a game that got greentexed here that he ran.

Should I even bother investing into Strength/Con when I have levels in Barbarian, and I'll just enter Rage whenever it's necessary for a FREE +4 on both?

Yes. More is always better.

I was part of that. Well, maybe not that one. I was asked to storytime some of his Ravenloft game but my only experience with it was Shadowrun Storytime and got yelled at when I went longform rather than greentext. Sadly life consuming time had that game eventually fall apart since getting everyone together was tricky reliably.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/quick-reposition-combat/
Someone tell me if I'm understanding this correctly. These are unlimited attacks by RAW right?

You get as many attacks as how many times you moved your opponent 5ft through a drag or reposition maneuver. So unless you know a way to move them an infinite amount of distance with one combat maneuver, no, it is by no stretch infinite.

>-5 penalty

yeah you'll be making attacks at like -20 eventually.

If you move them at least 10 feet every time, and never fail the check/attack, technically sure.

That's only -5 more than your last iterative, and many builds can still hit with that, plus it's yet another chance to roll a nat 20 crit. If you can make your unarmed attacks into touch attacks (or count some kind of touch attack as an unarmed attack, touch AC is way lower) you can keep hitting for a lot longer.

Quick Resposition is only in place of a single attack, you only get to use it once per round. So no, not infinite, but a lot of hurt regardless.

What about cumulative penalty do you not get.

So, would it make sense to have a scimitar, or any weapon without reach for the matter, when you already have razor-sharp claws?

Oh wait no fuck, you'd be able to move them infinitely but never get to attack.

app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5794993/

Are we boycotting Arkwright for supporting 2hu and doing a bamboozle with Pointy?

What do you not get about every roll is another chance to crit, the fact that it's possible to boost your attack roll to absurd amounts, and the possibility of targeting touch AC? -20 is NOT an insurmountable penalty, and yes you fucking retard I know it can get larger than that, and that can be dealt with as well. The point is that you can get a lot more attacks than an actual full-attack could, if you can break the CMD enough. Honestly Crashing Wave Style is begging to be mixed with SoM, there has to be something in Brute sphere to make it ridiculous.

>break the CMD enough

So its garbage, we agree.

Anyone who made an app to it had it coming, the rest of us had effectively already boycotted the faggot.

So rate my character art for a minor Chelaxian noble. I'm thinking a Demibaron. I like the snake in it as it a proper Asmodean symbol. The character art would be a portrait he commissioned to be painted of himself.

Stop posting anime just to be a shithead.

>whining about anime on Veeky Forums

An infinite number of attacks means an infinite number of nat 20s.

Who cares? The game was going to be shit even if it did happen, who the fuck wants boring anime SoL shit in their Pathfinder game?

>Posts Bike Cuck comics
What a crushing, biting retort. Truly, I am undone.

>beating cmd by an infinite amount

ayy lmao

That's idiotic. Even if you could somehow get "infinite attacks" there's no fucking way a -100 should allow you to hit. Also, gambler's fallacy, look it up.

>Also, gambler's fallacy, look it up.
???

That has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. If you make an arbitrarily large number of rolls on a fair twenty-sided die, then you're going to get an even distribution between all the numbers; with each showing up 1/20th of the time.

Replace "large" with "infinity" and you get a number of 20s equal to infinity/20, which is infinity.

It's literally basic math.

You realize that Gareth didn’t main-contribute to that one, right? ErrantX was the lead there. IIRC Gareth was in the lore role until he wrote Harbinger.

What is a good template to write a scenario with? I do want to eventually run a game some day in spite of my irl difficulties but one of them is that I don't know how exactly to structure an adventure.

Who gives a fuck, someone shouldn't write lore unless they are good at the mechanics already.

Less whining about anime, more purposefully posting baiting or retarded posts with "cutsy" anime in an attempt to make said anime automatically and reflexively associated with stupidity and assholishness, therefore ruining it for the rest of us.

How the fuck does that make any sense whatsoever? That's like saying someone can't decorate a cake unless they have a degree in chemistry.

Overpowered fucking much?

Fluff is secondary at best, it's something you can hand off to people between mechanical stuff. There is no need for a dedicated lore person.

AS LONG AS THEY DO THE COOKING BY THE BOOK IT SHOULD BE FINE

Take the DnD videogame from Capcom as inspiration

A Lich, emerging after ten thousand years, sends monsters to destroy a Kingdom. A group of plucky adventurers must unite, stop his minions, and help all the people on the way to the boss

Turns out the Lich was just a pawn...

Are scimitars a good pick if you don't have weapon finesse?

It's just a slashing version of a rapier that isn't a finesse weapon, so yeah, it's pretty good.

>people who can do mechanics can also do fluff equally-well

Well what I mean is how to structure the adventure itself.

For example, when the PCs go into this area these are things that can happen based on X actions from them and these are skill checks they can make and potential answers they can get stuff like that.

Alright, I should likely stop now. was me messing about/sarcastically disparaging fluff because this argumentative shitshow about developers is silly. But you know how it is with humour/sarcasm online. Fluff is very important (Though I do hold that mechanics should do a good job of helping sell the fluff, thus a synthesis is wonderful)

What are the advantages of dipping a lvl in fighter or barbarian as a rogue?

But did Gareth have any Pathfinder experience when writing the Harbinger?

Is a barbarian archer viable?

With Urban Barbarian yes