Sealed non-evils

How would you feel if instead of working to stop some great evil, you were working to stop some great chaotic?

In this instance, the seals on the god of debauchery, celebration, inebriation, and rampant good times are weakening. The players have to quest to re-strengthen the seals before he is released. This is important because the last time he was unsealed, mass death occurred in the following 100% participation worldwide party, with causes including trampling, mass alcohol poisoning, disease, starvation, burning buildings, and more.

Sound good? Too silly?

Other urls found in this thread:

alicesoft.wikia.com/wiki/Balance_Breaker
mythcreants.com/blog/five-dualities-that-can-replace-good-and-evil/
mythcreants.com/blog/five-more-dualities-that-can-replace-good-and-evil/
youtube.com/watch?v=ez90azx4LKk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How is that not also a great evil?

It isn't, OP is just dumb

technically speaking, it's just too much of a good thing.

I mean the god of debauchery is probably aware dying really kills the mood of the party, he's just a dick and doesn't care

>drowning is "just too much of a good thing"

Hey, sometimes if a party gets REAL hearty, you find out someone died the the next morning when you are cleaning up.

But then the dead guy can't party anymore

True.
Also how the god of partying usually gets sealed. During the "hangover" phase.

Imo it would be interesting if no one was harmed in the partying but that people were still opposed since they feel like there's more to life than base pleasures

But people get harmed with regularity in petty mortal parties. And those don't even have a deity amping 'em up.

alicesoft.wikia.com/wiki/Balance_Breaker

Sure but I feel like the god of partying if he wasn't malicious would protect people from injury and death since he wants everyone to have a good time. The problem comes in when everyone is to busy partying to make art, explore the sciences or really do anything productive

Well, I guess that's one way to take it, if you wanted to kind of avoid dealing with the more obvious problems of partying, and wanted to deal with the next level partying problems.

I think it presents a better dilemma, if the party god causes mass death to his followers he's an asshole, but if he just keeps people in a hedonistic haze that keeps them from higher pursuits it's more interesting

Well, it's entirely valid, and I would accept that take. I just quite enjoy semi-apocalyptic scenarios, events, and incidents.

I'd go the complete other direction.

Everyone becomes so contented and pacifist that they just stop doing anything. You'd say I'm just ripping off the Firefly movie. And you'd be right.

I've always been more fond of a Sealed Order, like Jyggalag. A force of absolute, uncompromising order that it causes the good and evil gods to go "look, alright, fuck whatever we were doing, that's a problem."

I always liked the idea of something being outside the alignment and scaring the shit out of everyone else, it doesn't even have to be powerful, you could have an old peasant unaware that he doesn't have an alignment and the gods would still be throwing a fit, bonus points if being unaligned can spread

The first neutral in a universe of good and evil is an interesting idea.
Though, most things already have neutral, so the un-alignment would have to be some other made up word.

The way I see it everything else exists in a universe where morality is objective but anything unaligned is subject to moral relativism, like there's some cosmic force that gives purpose to and decides what's good and bad but the unaligned is cut off from it and so there's nothing that gives its actions moral meaning

Jyggalag Isn't really an existential threat though he was more fucked over because people were jealous, not because he was going to create a dystopia

Once had a party that accidentally unsealed a Great Evil, only, it was actually the Hero that was thought to have sealed said Evil in the first place.

No one knows what happened to the Evil from that time since it's not like the world was destroyed or anything. The Hero, on the other hand, had gone completely mad during his time being sealed; later became a villain, himself.

If too much debauchery is bad, then it's still bad. i don't understand how this is different. You're overthinking this, OP

A Great subjective morality is unsealed.

The actual greek god of partying killed people a lot. His most devoted followers were known for senseless slaughter.

i like this twist, reminds me a bit of what Sanderson was doing with the Mistbron books, before it devolved into mormon "normal man ascend to godhood" angst

>shitting on Sazed's character development
nigger I will fight you

It could eventually lead to a desire for balance.

how about freeing a great "good"
Like, a god of storms that rumbled out a promise to help the people in peace and war if they get it outta this box

See, you seem to be attributing him being a dick to him being a party god, and not to him being a Greek god, so I'm driven to doubt you.

>How would you feel if instead of working to stop some great evil, you were working to stop some great chaotic?
Just make it a trickster deity, like Prometheus. Since, you know, he was actually chained up.

The Great Sealed Thingie might want to cause a massive shift in society, and we can see from history that it was never clean. The industrialization led to a convenient world we have today, but caused environmental degradation and exploitation of workers. You can pick an extreme and push it. Some examples:
mythcreants.com/blog/five-dualities-that-can-replace-good-and-evil/
mythcreants.com/blog/five-more-dualities-that-can-replace-good-and-evil/

nice

Well, water is a good thing, right?

Would play in that game, bonus points if the guy that's sealed is super nice

I, for one, one welcome our True Fae lord & master!
youtube.com/watch?v=ez90azx4LKk

Bump

You mean like this guy?

That's happened in one of my games.
One god got sealed away after he literally stole three millennia just to show he could. Everyone else in the pantheon got fucking pissed and he was forced to give it back. They saved the three millennia in a magic jar and used it later to recover the land after a plane-blasting apocalypse-level war.
Except now it's come back to bite the pantheon in the ass, since the part he took it from is 13 years out and they'll need to do some major shenanigans to prevent the world from turning into a desolate wasteland due to time stopping. Basically, the timestream needs to be shut down for repairs and they don't know how to tell the mortals without confusing them or making things worse.

The sealed evil is objective morality. Should it be released, the world would be subjected to the horrors of the alignment system.

shit, we're powerless to stop it.

drowning in pussy

Because he isn't evil? You can't insert moral ambiguity in a world with a detect evil spell.

You don't need everyone to unite to seal someone.

Maybe the person sealing the great _____ just really wanted to seal the great _____? Maybe the great ______ killed his waifu or something.

>water is a good thing
not in your lungs

killing people is evil. whether or not he is evil, he leads to evil things happening.

Something particularly chaotic can be almost indistinguishable from something evil unless you look closely. What you want to deal with is a sealed Lawful, which can cause actual ructions amongst a good-aligned (i.e. 99%) party between each end of the chaos/law spectrum. For inspiration, look at Sheogorath/Jyggy/Shivering isles, which is the only vidya that actually represents the lawful/chaotic divide well that i've ever played

it must be, I haven't heard any citations of anyone else that does it.
And I didnt' play skyrim, so I wouldn't know

You’ve got to stop Prometheus from being unchained because he’ll steal the fire again and make more things sapient. Just look at The Birds by Aristophanes! We can’t have dolphins and apes building their own cities!

I am immediately conflicted.

On the one hand, I want octopi and crabs to gain intelligence.
On the other hand, I would have to exterminate them all if apes or dolphins got intelligence.

Fuck apes, if they get smart they gotta go, we've seen where that leads, better to let other strains have a go.

>You don't need everyone to unite to seal someone
This just gave me the idea of an old group of ex-adventurers who have since gone their separate ways, and the wizard decides he wants a reunion before they start dying of age. So he hires some new heroes to "gather the heroes of old so they may combine their powers to seal this ancient evil!", except he's perfectly capable of doing it himself, he just really wants to see his old friends again.

Dude, I’m stealing this.
Of Course he unleashes the grand evil on purpose just because he wants to fight alongside his companions and not die of wasting age

Couldn't he just visit his friends in the afterlife using magic?

>It's been nearly a 1000 years
>the world is stuck in the medieval age
>The god of technology and his son the god of industry have been locked away by the gods in fear of his growing power
>Actually it's just the god of magic being a dick and smooth talking the other gods to lock him away
>PCs accidentally releases them
>Shit gets fucked up, the harmony of the world is screwed up by the sudden increase in industry and technological advancement.
>god of magic and a few good aligned gods track him down
>Send out hounds specifically made to track down gods
>god of tech is constantly on the run
>finally lose the god hounds for a while
>PCs forget about techno god and industrial son
>a few decades past
>savage tribes were the first to embrace him since he actually approached them directly out of desperation
>suddenly the savage tribes all have better armor and weaponry than the settled kingdom
>they also have a significantly higher standard of living
>meanwhile civilized kingdoms are executing tinkerers left and right
>only magic is allowed
>the civilized kingdoms that reject technological advanced are rewarded with more potent magicks
>the savages become a technocratic society devoid of magic
>the Luddite kingdoms find a tribe of technocratic nomads
>luddite kingdoms collectively loses their shit
>crusades declared
>techno savages vs DEUS VULT wizards
>flame throwers vs fireballs
>PCs get to choose a side, they decide the course of the war.

I mean people can still die, its just from no fault but their own and party reasons.

Other weird apocalyptic stuff could include say, no one tending the farms, or garrisoning cities. Things go into disrepair as the party heats up. But additionally, the chaotic-ness of the chaotic god being out and about reveling, could empower chaotic individuals. Which yeah means chaotic good and chaotic neutral types party their asses off and drink get high etc... but chaotic evil types feel more empowered to rape murder rapemurder and murderrape their way through Uncle Warren's pig farm.

Another idea could be the party god being unsealed only really effects the truly sentient. So the only creatures distracted with partying are your humans dwarves elves whatelse have you.

meanwhile your goblins, beholders, owlbears, and illithids, or whatever are uneffected, simply because "PARTY" or "HAVE FUN" doesn't really cross their mind in the same way.

So a lich and his zombie army is unneffected by the global party mandate, so he's just free to raid some graveyards and build up an army in peace. The illithids start spiking people's drinks with little tadpoles to turn people into more illithids, because they aren't thinking clearly enough. And goblins get some good downtime while people aren't busy clearing out goblin hovels.

Sure you can. Just look at the way 5e does it.

>PCs get to choose a side
>Choose a side.
Please, if that's our plot/setting, the only real option is ONE MORE GOD REJECTED.

But user, the objective morality that is most recognizable is also one that is better than the alignment system.It's the moral system that presides over our reality.

Unsealing a great good could be a neat objective for a heroic campaign. It'd probably be a good idea to make sure the great good still needs the player characters' help after being released, to keep whatever comes after from just being a cutscene.

>a sealed true neutral god
>his influence makes people get apathetic
>"we could go hunt the dragon, but we could, like, go watch a game, dude."

>That's like your opinion, man.

Chaotic aligment is just less efficient form of Evil Aligment.