/L5RG/ Legend of the Five Rings General

L5R / Legend of the Five Rings General

Good guy Yoritomo edition

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
ME GA[New Zeland]/#F!EuB3yRRI!FjYeEU2FdqzIZ6cM1dKoHA

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

Latest Beta Update:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/99/6e/996e894d-b3d4-44e8-810e-d1824b82fd18/l5r00_beta_updates_v20.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - jigoku.online/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

>Veeky Forums L5R Discord
discord.gg/CJfVQ7B

>Clan Allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/14339259

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/22/beneath-below-beyond/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/games/)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Not "Honor Wins are totally viable guys!" edition

>9 dynasty cards that honor themselves
>6 conflict cards that honor your guys
>3 dynasty cards that just give you an honor
> honored blade can give multiple honor
> air and fire ring exist and can be resolved multiple times
>spirit caller

Your right guys there is absolutely no way anyone could get that last 5.

I mean, they could. If they had any cards in hand to push that through

>card draw does not exist
>over half the engine is in the dynasty deck

>people thinking Way of the Chrysanthemum is good
Even when honor finally becomes playable, Way of the Chrysanthemum won't be in the deck. It's not a card that even helps honor.

Chrysanthemum has two main issues. The first is that it's only useful on turn one. If you're playing a dedicated honor deck, one that's actually willing to slot a card like Chrysanthemum, your opponent will have figured it out by the end of the first round. So either you hit them with it round one, or it sits in your already small hand and does nothing. And even with an aggressive mulligan it's only going to be in your hand for the first bid 49% of the time.

The second issue is that at any tournament people will know you run Chrysanthemum by the end of it. Once you've made it to the top tables, even without the newly implemented decklist sharing rule, scouting alone will tell your opponents that you run Chrysanthemum. And then guess what? They open with bids of 2-3 against you and Chrysanthemum turns into a remarkably shitty card.

Honor is slowly getting better, but Chrysanthemum isn't why. Guard Duty, for example, is a much, much bigger card for honor than Chrysanthemum, because not only does it give you honor it actually helps your board state while it's at it - and that's what honor decks actually need.

>>card draw does not exist

In Lion? No, not really.

>>over half the engine is in the dynasty deck

And? Having dynasty cards doesn't mean you didn't gimp your self by losing 5 on card advantage. The opponent also has dynasty cards, and now also why more conflict cards. Keep up please.

>already said I didn't need it to win
> if my opponent wants to bid 1-3 the whole game with me I am fine with this. My dudes in general are better.
>guard duty and before the throne hit next week making my deck even better

>if my opponent wants to bid 1-3 the whole game with me I am fine with this. My dudes in general are better.
Jesus christ, you really are that fucking conceited are you.

Don't feed the troll, guys. We tried actually reasoning with him; it didn't work.

I do agree.
It is a good meta card to change 5 bids in friendly games, but it is hard to use in the real deal.
I do disagree with the assessment that it needs to be played turn one. One can stay with 5 bids and later on switch to a honor win, if he got all the pieces in place. (Toturi in the graveyard and spirit caller out; honored character and such)

>I do disagree with the assessment that it needs to be played turn one. One can stay with 5 bids and later on switch to a honor win, if he got all the pieces in place. (Toturi in the graveyard and spirit caller out; honored character and such)
The difference here is that your opponent is going to figure out that you're playing an honor deck within the first round. You're going to play cards that aren't normally played, they're going to get randomly discarded, Policy Debate'd, etc etc, and then they're going to be more cautious with their second bid. The probability of being able to keep your entire deck archetype on the down low for a whole round is very low in this game.

You're being a dick

His card advantage usually evaporates in two turns then my better personalities can can stall if needed.

Glad you also think spirit caller, LPB and Ujiaki are not busted. Man all the people complaining about Lion are surely mistaken.

>hey guy honor can work as a switch win condition for lion right now its not the best but it will get good next week once it gets more cards.

>REEEEEEEE get out you fucking scrub! yYour wrong conform to the group think and don't try new decks.

>No listen let me explain how it can work

I'm the dick somehow

>painting everyone who disagrees with you with one brush
>actually, unironically accusing someone of groupthink
>I'm the dick somehow
Yes, you are.

>honor is bad because we say it is
>disregard your play test experiences in both friendly and semi competitive games

Ok

Says the man who is disregarding everyone else's experiences.

Projection, much?

>Implying most of these fags even tried to run lion honor when the wide board military deck is better.
They are talking out of their ass

Yup. Pure fucking projection.

Sorry bud, I've probably played more games as and against honor lion than you have. It's just not viable against a smart opponent. The game itself is not structured in a manner to make it work.

>His card advantage usually evaporates in two turns then my better personalities can can stall if needed.
>2 turns

How long do you think this game lasts? You're fucking dead by then because you were too busy durdling with honor and fucking yourself over. You're not winning conflicts, and you're not able to control the board.

If you think card advantage just just "evaporates" from you just taking the brunt of it, then you're not remotely respecting it's value in the game. Of all the things to argue in a card game, card advantage not mattering has to be the most indefensible ones.

>It does not work because I say does not
>All your opponents are trash
>I am the better than you at this game
>I still don't understand switch

Ok senpai

>muh anecdotes

Post waifus from clans you hate.

Fucking sick of seeing this Honor Sperging.

>autist OP shills his pet clan again

this is why the community is garbage.

Feel free to leave any time. Or at least to have the agency to bake the thread.

Also its relevant to the latest fiction
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/22/beneath-below-beyond/

I've been making threads for some time, but mantis-fag took over, and I would say fuck him, but honestly I don't care

Ok I will stop for now. After I play some more later I will return though.

What a stupid fucking reason to condemn the whole fucking community on. If you think clan loyalty is making the community garbage, oh wait sorry clan loyalty for the "wrong" clan, then you've entered the wrong fucking game. Go away, you make the community garbage.

Bruh the thread sometimes goes past the bump limit for hours. I usually wait to give you a chance to do it.

No, clan loyalty at all is cancer. "my clan has all the chill people, the clan i dont like is full of autists" is cancer.

You're playing the wrong game.

Why are you even here?

Fuck off you spike cunt.

Well that escalated quickly

Clan loyalty has been part of L5R for over 20 years. There was an entire bounty system that only worked because people were willing to throw down real money and prizes to make the story go certain ways.

It's almost as if "clan loyalty at all is cancer" is the antithesis of the community.

I'm notI am

I know. I hadn't meant the "almost as if" statement aggressively.

This card is broken right? Like as soon as they are not attacking it falls off?

Technically yes

Depends on whether or not you're a part of the group that ignores the developer's rulings or listens to the developer's rulings. For the former it falls off immediately; for the latter, it does not.

Does it check for attacking state only when played or constantly?

This game has dev rulings? How do I find those? Are they on the FFG site?

I believe its already been errata or they announced they will errata it or what have you. Still pretty annoying but the intent is pretty clear.

They really need to just put out a FAQ

>This game has dev rulings?
Yup, and quite a number of them.

>How do I find those? Are they on the FFG site?
I wish. We only get them via email, and they get stored on cardgamedb.com and referenced at fiveringsdb.com . This fact leads some to call them unofficial and go so far as to say you're "cheating" if you use the developers rulings.

They've said that they're going to issue errata for it, and in the meantime to play as if it doesn't fall off.

If they are not on the FFG site how can they be rulings? No way I can be expected to email devs constantly to figure out how to play their game...

They're rulings because the devs gave them out and they are publicly available. I too wish that it was done better than it is, but this is what we have. FFG is a bunch of incompetent shitstains, so we do what we must to keep the ship afloat.

Yeah, Nate said they are going to address it in new RR.
It is really fucked that we haven't got any updates to the RR before the worlds and GK though.
Like, what the fuck they are waiting for? No FAQ, no official RR. My bet right now is that they are waiting till all IC packs are released, to be able to address cards in those without "spoiling" them or something.
This is retarded though, and I don't understand why they bothered so much with making it a digital only document when they update it one in a year.

Public where? There is a rule document on the FFG site but I don't see the ruling you are talking about there. I am not trusting anything but official FFG documents on rules.

Then you get to play with a Pit Trap that immediately falls off, because that's what the official FFG documents say.

They get collected and hosted on cardgamedb.com, which coincidentally is an official FFG website. They're also linked on fiveringsdb.com .

>I am not trusting anything but official FFG documents on rules.
Then you can be wrong.

FFG OP updates all their rules documents at once. They do this most the time once a year, but some times twice.
FFG OP supports 11 games. (fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/games/) right now so they don't have the time or need to focus on L5R at the moment.

Star Wars games get the top bill when it comes to OP support and LCGs only get side support, that is why they outsourced running the Kotei Series events. They don't have the man power or desire to focus on running one game as FFG is not a one game company like WotC, Konami, Nintendo, etc. That is why MTG, YGO, and Pokemon all have great prize support and huge events. Even a small WCS for YGO is 500+ people. L5R will never hit those numbers and FFG knows that, so they just don't care as it is another flash in the pan LCG they will milk for 2 years then forget about.

This thinking is why they shouldn't have overpowered you Lion faggots in the core like they did. Between this and the slowgun you all are going to be insufferable for at least 2 years

Lion is now OP you just suck.

All the email work has been done for you asshole, all you have to do is look the card up on fiveringsdb

Do they include the email that said email rulings can't be used in tournaments?

3rd party site. They can lie to change game balance.

Lmfao i beat Lion all the time, I just hate their players.

What would be their incentive?

All the rulings can be verified through cardgamedb which is owned by FFG

If you don't believe it then email the devs yourself.

The people who maintain that stuff barely even fucking play the game; they do it because they're autistic about getting the rules right.

If you want to be a cunt and further fracture the community then go on ahead, but this is quite literally the only way we're ever getting rulings for the next several months.

Boosting their Clan to get better story rewards.
Happened all the time in old L5R.

Netrunner has updated FAQ announced on 16th of October. Effective 23.10.2017
GoT on the 23rd of October. (Document states 12.10.2017)
Destiny got a new RR on 16.11.
Even L5R got an update for RR on strongholds separately from other games in August.

Stop talking out of your ass, there is nothing stopping them from making an update to RR or producing a FAQ.

That alleged "email" was not from a developer, it was from some random organized play worker. The game without thr developer rulings is beyond broken and every person I play I ask to make sure they want to play the healthier game. I haven't run into someone who doesn't but, If I ever do, I'll auto concede and get up from the table.

Not that guy, but clan loyalty is both the best and worst thing about L5R. It's brought great results that have resonated with player bases over multiple story arcs, kept the game alive, etc etc ... but also encouraged a strong "not in my clan" knee jerk reaction to anything that detracts from the idealised clan people have in their minds, and even Flanderisation of clan values. It creates an inclination towards the status quo, where no one wants their clan to lose or be less than good - and that has been powerful enough to shift around entire factions within the story. (even when the story wasn't able to accommodate the shift particularly well)

/2 zeni

I got an email from a dev telling me For Greater Glory costs 3 Fate and it is going to be added to the next RR update.

Better start playing that way now!

Right but you didn't

But I did.

So we care about what a developer says about the rules, but not what an organized play worker from FFG says about organized play? Doesn't really work like that.

Ok. That's not what he said. Cancer is not a best and worst of anything. It's just the worst.

October is all at the same time. RR updates at core release is normal as FFG only cares about Core sales.
Destiny is a Star Wars product so it gets special treatment.

>Playing RPG
>PbP game
>Running Topaz championship
>Roll Lion girl
>Wannabe Kensai
>Falls in love with a scorpion at the Topaz
>really cool sideplot
>both get sent to same winter court
>try to hang out and get caught by NPCs every time
>caught by Lion NPCs when they're all having tea at the exact same time
>caught doing what my character was told to do which was break it off
>in the only secluded spot they could find - the roof
>question GM about this
>Lion's aren't meant to love Scorpions
>Both Lion and Scorpion sudoku because the daimyo thought they were assassins
>Seriously
>Friends go to mourn their seppuku'd friends
>Nope, show must go on and they had it coming

Same campaign had a ronin and a matsu almost beat each other to death with wooden swords as well, amongst other things.

Why didn't L5R get an October update than?

It did not need one?

All of the valid rulings can be verified on the FFG owned cardgamedb

Well now, isn't it a good thing you aren't one of the people who maintain these things.

There's two ways you can go about it. You can listen to the random mook and have a game that is literally unplayable because of all the inconsistency involved, or you can listen to the people who designed the game and have a game that actually functions.

Your choice. It's not a hard one.

>Lion's aren't meant to love Scorpions
Your GM sounds dumb. The stereotypical in-universe attitude shouldn't create a meta situation like that.

FFG owns CardgameDB but does not handle any of the content. Nothing there is official.

No, I do. Like I said if someone wants to play the broken game, they can have the win. I play the game to have an enjoyable game, not to argue over rules interpretation.

Listen to the random mook as he is the one with all the power when it comes to official events?

FFG OP isn't in charge of the official events any more. Not until next Worlds. Cascade Games is, and they're incompetent as fuck anyways.

"Organized Play is responsible for hiring third parties to run events, but they don't actually know or make any decisions about the game itself" See how stupid you sound?

Judging by the amount of rulings it is in desperate need of a one.

They probably just want to play the game like the publisher is telling them to play it or have to because those are the rules of the tournament. Nobody is playing with intent to play a broken game and saying people are actively wanting to play a broken game is ignoring any legitimacy to listening to FFG in the first place.

Almost like FFG pushed a broken game out the door to sell some Core sets.
Almost like 6 packs in 6 weeks is a cash grab as they know it is unbalanced as fuck.

Except the "random mook" here is employed by FFG, so not really a hard choice at all. I can either listen to the publisher of the game and the rules of the OP, or not play in anything official in any capacity. You're right, that wasn't a hard choice.

The developers are not separate from FFG. If FFG rrally didn't want us to listen to their rulings, they would disallow them from answering rules question through official company email addresses. You sound stupid, and like I said I would get up from the table.

Devs have no power at FFG tho. Marketing and OP does.

It is now, yes. But the game didn't even come out until October.

Let me explain to you how thoroughly broken the game's rules is. You know Shameful Display? That province that was in 87% of decks at Worlds? Without a developer ruling we have no idea how that card actually functions. There are at minimum three different and legitimate interpretations for very common cases that crop up all the time in actual play.

Without a developer ruling you literally cannot determine how one of the most played cards in the game even functions. That is how thoroughly screwed this game is. And that's just one example.

Watch Commander vs. Let Go? Developer ruling. RRG is unclear.
Pride vs. Spies at Court? Developer ruling. RRG is unclear.
Togashi Yokuni vs. Cloud the Mind? Developer ruling. RRG is unclear.
The entire card that is Back-Alley Hideaway? Yeah, good luck figuring out that with the RRG.
The list goes on and on.

Without the developer rulings you don't have a ruleset - you have an argument simulator. And if that's what you want then fine, you can go have it, but don't be surprised at all if the community shuns you for being a prick.

So they really want us to use developer rulings but really not use the answer from the organized play department? Why not disallow them?

And I'd gladly take the win. I don't give a fuck about your sentiments in a competitive setting.

I don't care how "broken" you think the game is. I don't care if the "community" wants to shun me for being a prick. That doesn't change that organized play employees have given their answer on the validity of the developer's rulings in organized play settings.

If someone argues this, they're not interested in playing the game and they can play against someone else.

If that's how you feel then you're a fucking asshole who should who desperately needs to fuck off and find a different game to play.

Every game needs OP's permission to allow anythingin OP. L5R is not unique in that aspect at all. Someone arguing that is literally anybody playing OP in any card game.

Using unofficial rules to "fix" a game is what scrubs do. Your rulings mean nothing at real tournaments. Don't whine that your house rules are not legal, don't be a scrub.

Exactly this. I have no desire to play rule debater, I want to play L5R. Anyone I sit across from that doesn't want to play L5R will have one less opponent.

It's not a matter of how I "feel". It's a matter of listening to the people in charge of OP.

Lmfao if you're playing this game competitively and want to win nothing so badly that you would play a broken game, I feel very sorry for you.

>Your rulings mean nothing at real tournaments.
Nothing means anything at real tournaments now. Expect to have judges rule right in your face that what you know to be a fact isn't how it'll be - because they aren't beholden to anything.

They don't even have to be consistent. They can give you one ruling and turn around and give the next table a completely different one for the same situation. Isn't that nice? Better hope you've got spare cash on hand to bribe the judge.