Excited to play a new character that has a mount and some other shit

>excited to play a new character that has a mount and some other shit
>GM: I guess it's time to kill another mount
>introduce or mention any background character to my backstory
>GM: Ah, right, I gotta kill that one eventually
>make a new character
>GM: I wonder how much it will last lol

why do these type of throbbing anti-fun faggots exist? what motivates them to be such huge dicks and actively trying to take a dump on everything players love?

maybe it's funny if we're playing a hack and slash campaign where we don't really give a shit about anything but monsters and loot, but we're all heavily invested in the narrative of his game and the relationships our characters have, why is does he feel it's anything but a dick move to try and shit on us any chance he gets?

I don't mind some drama or facing hardships every once in a while, but actively trying to fuck up everything we care about is eventually gonna make us not care about anything at all, assuming we continue to play with him

Some GM's are just terrible

another never happened greetext dysfunction thread?

no, it's an "it literally just happened before posting and i'm pissed the fuck off" thread

seriously, he's been trying to shit on us for a good while now, we've lost two wagons and like 6 horses already due to explosions, monster attacks and i can't remember the third one

i was just talking with the other players about how my halfling has a donkey mount/pet and he showed up to say "it's time to kill another mount, how much does the donkey and cart cost?"

Honestly, it sounds like your GM might just have fundamentally different preferences in terms of style of play to you and your group.

Talk to the other players about it, and if they fee the same way try talking to the GM, to understand why they're doing it and to see if you can find some compromise.

I was trying to give you an out to save face, but instead you intentionally want to admit to being a spineless faggot? Fine by me.

It's been months of NPCs and pets dying, valued equipment getting lost, characters getting killed, etc., user, it's getting harder and harder to give a shit about his campaign at this point. It's like he wants us to just be mindless murderhobos instead of engaging with the shit he presents.

As a DM I hate pets and mounts, but I make sure to tell my players before we start a game.

If they come to me with a pet/mount, I tell them to find a way to not.

This is how the murderhobo cycle starts. Next time, everyone roll up homeless orphans from far off countries they will never go back to, who lived for years on their own, and see how the GM handles it.

Yep. For all you see people bitching about murderhobos, it's bad GM's like this who create them.

Then get the point. Your DM doesn't like or want that crap.

>Have owl familiar
>it has flyby and can provoke enemies without getting attacked
>does this to some goblins
>DM: ''Well I don't like you fucking up my goblins, I am gonna have to kill that owl at some point''

I just left that game

There are such things as bad GM's who don't realise how their actions affect their players. I've known people who wanted to run a strong story focused game and who got confused why it kept falling through when they played super lethal because someone told them they were 'supposed to'. It's a very basic thing, but some people need to be told that how you treat your players and their characters will guide their degree of investment in the game, as well as which aspects they come to care about or focus on.

See, the thing is, if he told us we'd be okay with it. But he expects us to engage with his world, he wants to know where we come from and what we do. He motivates us to make characters rather than spreadsheets, and has given us plethora of tools to work on how our characters can fit his world. He wants us to be a part of his world.

But he thinks the only way to generate drama and conflict is by killing off the things you care about, apparently. And it pisses me off.

Sounds like a guy who thinks the GoT TV show is the finest example of drama there is.

Death is a crutch used by a lot of bad GMs

Pretty much this.

I had one DM that LOVED this. If you had any family mentioned in your backstory with more importance than "they exist," they were dead within the first 3 sessions, every time.

He wrote this off as "Well I want to give your PC a reason to adventure" which was silly because at the same time he also demanded we put a reason for us to adventure in our backstory(which isn't bad in and of itself mind you).

Have you tried talking to him? Tell him that he's being a dick and if he keeps it up you'll leave the game, and if he does keep it up do just that.

I'm going to speak from experience here. I'm sure this varies from GM to GM, but maybe this will add some context to this sort of nonsense happening. I used to pull this exact same bullshit all the time when I was still new to running games. Killing a background character or family member was almost always an attempt to create drama, which I thought was great at the time. Killing a mount or taking away a caravan that my players bought usually was an attempt at that too, but way more spiteful on my part. Either I thought it made things "Too easy" for my players or I just didn't want to have to account for that extra element in whatever encounters I'd prepared. Not justifying it at all, but back then I just didn't understand how cheap having the entire world go out of its way to fuck up my players' families/friends/stuff is or how deflating it was for my players' enjoyment. I also didn't want anything I planned to be trivialized or bloated by all the extra npcs/familiars/ect being added to the mix. I never meant to be malicious when I did it, but it was still incredibly shitty. There's a difference between building up to an attempt on a background character's life and just doing it out of nowhere. There's a difference between the bandits who defeated you stealing your stuff and your horse going missing because "You left it outside the cave! I know no one else was around in this area, but still! It goes missing!" If there's a valid reason for something to happen by all means go for it, but if you're manipulating events to make it so don't do it. Shock doesn't equal drama. It'll surprise your players, but not in the good way. Some guys will never get it, but if you just let your players enjoy what their characters have access too and let them bring in things they care about they're more open to getting attached to elements you introduce. Maybe it's a control issue, that's where it was for me, but some guys also enjoy being an asshole when they get the seat.

>no, it's an "it literally just happened before posting and i'm pissed the fuck off" thread
Maybe things will get better if you keep impotently whining on Veeky Forums instead of talking about the problem directly with your DM.

Then maybe his DM should stop being a passive-aggressive faggot and talk to his players

PARAGRAPHS, MOTHERFUCKER

I'm not gonna read all that shit