Exalted General — /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Fanfic edition
Are there any fanfiction that you like?
Are there any you would recommend?
Are there any you don't like?

What sort of campaigns do you have in the West?
Right like I am aware that The West is a bunch of small islands and the occasional weird city (like City-Ships and turtles with islands on their back). Are games more about Island hoping like One Piece or more focused on just one or two island/nations?

Both.

Is there a good wiki for exalted?
Any of the ones I've looked at all seem to be missing tons of pages.

Rathess was one but it ded

I'm interested in Dynast fics too, are there any?

It's also a bunch of really large islands, with room for cultures that aren't all that focused on maritime pursuits.

Mercenary exorcist, like Geralt or Anime Geralt: which caste would that be? Dawn feels obvious, because obviously there's going to be swordplay at work, but I'd like to look at another caste for the concept. Problem is, I'm not sure that mechanically speaking they offer much that helps with identifying and dealing with tricky spiritual problems when the option of "hit it really hard" is available.

Geralt and Claymores really are best represented by Dawns, because both of them are swordsmen first before everything else.

You'll want Occult and Lore as favored abilities, and maybe Survival too because they're lone wanderer types that are adept at surviving in the wilderness.

I fap to a fucked up text-based Exalted game I secretly read and obsess over.

It took me far too long to recognise Geralt's name.

Link?

To place Geralt's name*
I guess?

Not really, no. People use ad-blockers aggressively these days so you're reduced to begging for donations.

I've discovered that people will donate and donate well, if your website is useful and entertaining to them.

It doesn't take hundreds of $/month to run a fandom website. You can get away with $50/80 a month.

We did a pirate crew campaign that became the conquering of An-Teng. Lotta fun, highly recommend the West.

So, when the book says that I can't combine melee/brawl and martial arts, just how much do they mean by that? If I'm in a martial arts form, can I not use any melee/brawl charms at all, even if I don't combine them with any other martial arts charms, or does the form count?

Does anyone else think that having separate skills for different weapons doesn't really fit Exalted's theme? Over the top combat tends to involve switching weapons, kicking a guy while you're fighting with a sword, a whole series of variants on close combat with ranged weapons... I feel like having separate skills and charm sets for Brawl, Melee, MA, and ranged combat doesn't support what could otherwise be a lot simpler and closer to the theme.

there's not a perfectly clear answer on that part, so it should be best to ask the devs on that.

That's why Stunts exist.

Is something considered to be a Full Excellency only if the dice were added entirely with an Excellency, or does any combination of charms that bring you to the dice limit count as a Full Excelency?

Pretty sure it's the latter.

As a player, I hate West campaigns, but if I had to play in one, I'd definitely prefer One Piece island hopping style to "The neverending fucking voyage across vast swaths of literally fucking nothing" or "Heres one island, you're basically stuck here because this is where the campaign is taking place".

I would hedge my bets on the former, not the latter, if only because the latter possibly opens up retarded exploits at some point. When in doubt, say "No, suck it up and pay the motes for a full Ex if you want to trigger stuff based off of that".

>The neverending fucking voyage across vast swaths of literally fucking nothing
I think that's the problem here. The Western Ocean shouldn't feel like vast swaths of litterally nothing. You've got spirits and fair folk and weird sea creatures and pirates and natural or supernatural weather and a whole bunch of stuff to fill up the ocean. Just because there's no land doesn't mean there's nothing there.

Trying to use Rising Sun Slash and Excellent Strike with the same attack, aren't you ?

certain instances of form allow things like that. so tiger form would be a no go on the combo but a form like single point works because the sword and you operate as "different " players. so your turn you could use melee but the sword could only use single point. I'm pretty sure that was a Vance original idea but I'm gonna have to check that

Worst case you can choose whether to take the success or the two extra dice.

does anyone here have any experience using a grid for exalted 3e? I've bought one recently and don't want it to go to waste (bought it mainly for DnD4e). How does one model range bands in a square grid?

Exactly as you would with a Hex grid. The range band Character A sits in is Close Range, Character B on the square next to A is a Short Range from A, Character C two range bands away is at Medium Range, etc. Things'll look distorted due to Diagonals counting as "the next square", but the grid's not supposed to represent actual position on the battlefield so it's fine.

I'd rule that way in my game as well.

the 2e spell "Sworn Brother's Oath" wasn't intended to be dragonblooded only right? just poorly worded?

otherwise it'd be an occult charm

No, this fucking retarded. That would make long range to mean 20' away.

Range bands are best represented in a grid by great and great rings of tiles.

Close range would the ring of tiles directly around the character.

Short range would be the next two rings. So the outer range of short range would be 3 tiles away.

Medium range would be something like the next 10 rings of tiles. 13 tiles away is the max of medium range. At 5 foot tiles, this is about 75 feet, the reasonable limit of thrown weapons as the book describes.

Long range would extend beyond medium range by like a 150 tiles. 800 feet, the outer range of a long bow.

Extreme range is anything beyond that.

The outer ranges of long range and any kind of extreme range are narrative ranges. This system would work well enough for grid play, I think.

Nope! Trying to use Rising Sun Slash and Divine Executioner Stance. Same principle, though.

You're a dumbass. Each 5 foot square is "one range band".

There's only 5 range bands, you tard. Close, Short, Medium, Long, Extreme.

It's relative, you hoser. Someone can be at Short range to you and Medium range to another party member.

I could see merging skills, but the charmtrees should be separate.

And my example is from each person's perspective. There can be an entire snarl of a dozen melee combatants, some even as far as medium range from one another, but they'd all be at long range to a bowman sitting 50 tiles away.

To the bowman I'd say the two people at medium distance then would appear at short range to him.

Stop thinking in such concrete terms, you are limiting yourself.

Also, as an addendum if you have a dozen melee combatants you've fucked up and need to start using battle groups correctly. That isn't a real use case.

See image to understand what I'm talking about, tard.

Disagree. The long range band is wide enough that two people could be at medium range from one another with getting into close range.

Guys, this isn't fucking DnD. Everybody doesn't have their own unique place of a grid for a rangeband system.

Although their size is purposely kept nebulous, the "squares" of the grid are big enough to fit multiple individuals. If you share a square with someone, you're in close range of them. If they're in the next square over, they're at short range. Another square, and they're at medium. Etcetera.

And I think that's a stupid system. I hate wishywashy nebulous mechanics like that, it just tells me that the developers(who are tards in this case) couldn't come up with a proper system for it.

It's not really that nebulous. In fucking pathfinder you can have characters occupy the same square you dolt, that doesn't make shit "nebulous".
It's VERY simple. It just doesn't do great on a standard grid. Oversized hexes do fine. THe only nebulous bit is really the fact that a range band in one scene isn't the same as a range band in another. The game runs on cool mental images instead of hard rules about how many feet per second you can jump.

It's not laziness. The lazy option would be to keep the grid system that 2e had, instead of making a completely new one. Rather, they just wanted to make movement less tactical and more rules-lite esque.
Personally, I'm usually against that sort of stuff, but I think it works well for Exalted. When you're dealing with enemies of wildly different sizes and characters who can move an obscene distance in a single turn, it makes sense to me that someone would want to just make the whole thing abstract.

The entire fucking thing is nebulous, faggot. I'm not trying to use Shitfinder mechanics, I'm trying to create a visualization and grid placement tool. I have no desire to change range bands or the range band system. I'm just tired of willing to leaving it up to ST fiat and getting different fucking answers every round for the same fucking distance.

Then you're going to gnash your teeth and flail and ultimately fail because the range band system is meant to be nebulous and you're trying to make it something its not.

Get more mad assbaby lol
I already told you how you fix it. Hexes are best, but still inelegant. And people in close range are in the SAME square. It's DESIGNED for theater of the mind shenanigans and works decent in it. There isn't going to be some easy port over to a grid. Maybe with a program that could give you relative distance and placement or some shit, but that's more effort than it's worth.

Then just make very big squares/hexes on your grid. Problem solved

No wonder Veeky Forums is such a shit hole, it's filled by neckbeards that can't even math.

Basically, you need to pick which Ability you want to apply to a given roll, and then you can only enhance it with that Ability's charms.

So, you can activate a Martial Arts Form and then make Melee attacks just fine, but you won't get the benefits of the Form on the Melee attacks.

How does that work with Single Point form?

Your sword's attack has to be with Martial Arts, but your main one can use any ability.

How does Respect-Commanding Attitude work for sex-based Performances? Does the object of your affections need to spend Willpower to refuse consent? If someone wants to attack you, would they need to do so by engaging in your sex scene (most likely forcing them to have sex with you in order to make attacks)?

It just means they'll hear you out without an immediate 'get lost asshole' dismissal. They can still say no.

I don't care about that, but the first line in the description really got me thinking.
>The return of the Solars is a miracle never before seen.
hmmm

Also, it's a Performance Charm. You'd be using it while doing a performance like a dance or something, and the charm just means they'd watch til you were done.

In terms of power, Are Exigens more comparable to Celestial Exalted or Terrestrial Exalted?

A-user I don't think sex is a rolled performance thing. Performance has sex charms but thats specifically for like dancing sexy, or doing something else and making it sexy so you can do a seduction attempt in it, but you can't like roll an inspire action when fucking someone as far as I'm aware

The act of sex itself has typically been relegated to performance in publication.

Lies. How does my waifu Anjei have a +3 (sexual techniques) performance specialty in that case?

>I don't think sex is a rolled performance thing
It is, actually. It's why there's sex charms like Celestial Bliss Trick that make you superhumanly good at sex, and why the DB prostitute/serial killer from DotFA has a Performance specialty of "Sexual Techniques".

>serial killer
Stop your slander. She's WAY beyond mere serial killing.

Oh, using sex as a sort of performance. Not many people are going to try and withdraw consent while having sex with someone, so RCA wouldn't accomplish much of anything except to waste motes.

If I were the ST, I'd rule that you couldn't use sex to social fu more than a positive intimacy towards yourself or reduce a love-based intimacy towards someone else. You ain't gonna be using sex to convince someone the Realm is wrong.

They can range in power based on their patron god so while there could be an Exigent at Solar level it will be rather uncommon and need a very powerful god to make it happen.

I would guess most are probably gonna settle around Celestial tier in things directly related to their god while likely Terrestrial tier in things pretty far removed from their god's portfolio.

I don't know about that. I think you're limiting it far too much. There's more to sex than just rutting after all. In fact it's kind of a story cliche that people get convinced into the stupidest things after having their brains fucked out.

It's a mystery for now, A safe bet is that extingents will vary wildly in power. an extengent of the god of a specific shrub isn't going to be on the same footing as an extegent of the god of trade.

That's pillow talk after the sex and would be Presence. The actual sex itself is different.

You're already implying the perfomance must be seen as 1 on 1, and you want to nerf it even further? You'd be a bad ST.

No, the point is that people let their guard down because of the sex, so any persuasive efforts are directly based on the sex. It's just that the words get spoken afterwards (and prior) to the act itself. But that doesn't mean the performance can't push any kind of agenda a clever player can put in there.

The sex creates a positive intimacy they can use later for the Presence rolls.

It's like the system already thought of it, amazing!

The afterglow is not an intimacy of any sort. It's just a particular mood you're in.

At the very least, you would likely be able to create or strengthen Intimacies like Principles along the lines of "I am a whore and noone will ever truly love me", or those that reflect sexual fetishes, like a Tie of "Women being humiliated: Lust".

Yeah, because that would really work in a game.

>It is
No, it isn't. Point to me in the book the system you use for fucking someone, point to me where it even mentions a dicepool for something like that. Celestial bliss trick is specifically unrolled, it dosen't enhance any preexisting sex rules at all.

So it'd be considered an emotion which modifies Resolve like a Major Intimacy.

Sex would likely count as the evidence needed to boost those Intimacies higher up.

>putting down fetishes in your intimacy list
What are your games like, user?

Man, I thought the red rule was a stupid pointless addition but you guys prove to be worse than I thought every day.

Fucking thank you. At least one other person on this fucking board has a brain.

Well you have Anjei Marama's performance specialty.

I don't know where exactly you're coming from, user. It's pretty obvious that any sort of interpersonal contact can be rolled if you want to use it as a social combat battlefield. Which is the point here.

I mean they don't list things out specifically, like they don't list out many things, but Performance is the one most likely to be rolled I think. Though I think a game I was in called for Stamina+Resistance for a marathon of fucking, other than that Performance seems the most logical choice. What would you suggest instead?

>Well you have Anjei Marama's performance specialty.
The 2e character? I don't think that has much impact when discussing a 3e charm.
My point is that trying to finagle it so you can force someone to spend willpower to not fuck you is dumb and we both know it. If you want sex off rules try and convert that old DnD thing with the rules for sexual performance
>What would you suggest instead?
Nothing. Why would someone want to roll dice for sex, why would you want mechanics for that? Even in a full blown ERP game it seems utterly idiotic

>implying that there isn't one hyper-sexualized female character in every game
Using their intimacies to define whether they're a domme or a sub is a useful character building tool.

>My point is that trying to finagle it so you can force someone to spend willpower to not fuck you is dumb and we both know it.
The discussion has moved past that a while ago. I agree with that (for reasons related to the fact that the "performance" doesn't involve onlookers as participants in the first place), but what we're discussing now is whether sexual conduct can be rolled or not.

>Why would someone want to roll dice for sex, why would you want mechanics for that? Even in a full blown ERP game it seems utterly idiotic
Because you can use it to create intimacies and emotions that you can then use to manipulate the character further. Create an Intimacy of Love, then get them to do stupid shit for you in the name of that love. It's one of the oldest story tropes around.

Feel like simple enough Intimacies related to boning or Inspire actions would be valid Performance (Sex) rolls.

It's social combat. There doesn't need to be more reason than that.

you're telling me you DON'T want to roll that you fuck so good you trick the magistrate into throwing all his allies into your friend's trap?

I have no idea what you're trying to say user.

rolling to fuck good, so good it socially influences another character, is totally within purpose of rolling for sex skill. it's as valid as rolling to crush morale with just a disapproving glance, or downgrade an intimacy by acting against it rather than being convincing. them's my stances.

That's some Total War type shit right there.

Uh, that's nice?

Fucking good can influence people, nobody argues that. What acceptable influence is through fucking(JUST fucking, not what comes before or after) is the point of contention. Smart people say that it's good for certain instill and inspire actions to create intimacies to use later, while neckbeards think the very act of fucking should be able to convince anyone of anything.

Hmmm, it's so hard to tell which side you think is right.

some people aren't fans of foreplay. this can happen in games too. it's not something to worry about.

try framing an idea where it might happen? a mute character who uses presence alone to get into someone's bed, then fucks 'em so good they get an intimacy for them that's then used to distract the target from what's more important. I can see that being an effective story bit. i even remember seeing an old TV show where literally that happened; a martial artist is crashed into by an errant parachuter, and without dialogue involved, the two fall passionately in love and a vivid, threat-foreshadowing sex scene follows, all in one night. The next day, the swordfighter can't wield his blade, because he only sees the woman in everyone he looks at. Her influence is incredibly real yet we the viewers understand they did nothing outside of be intimate.

So while your contention for people who think dick is boss is noted, i feel like what you're bringing up is, in an ideal light, more a corner case than a standard thing. just like in real life, you can't take a person into their bedroom without once saying a word, but the possibility and insanity of doing so exists, and Exalted is all about doing completely insane shit.

forgot to mention: i understand you're referring to idiots who think a high performance roll and Perform(Sex) specialty should be enough to make people like them. I've seen them in random games.

They're a shame, but you're talking about what should be a normalized situation in exalted games, not the corner cases where ERP weirdos don't know how to play along.

if you wanted to talk shit about neckbeards who think fucking is everything, you should be more specific and just admit you realize better players don't cotton to the mentality you're ascribing them to.

>idiots who think a high performance roll and Perform(Sex) specialty should be enough to make people like them
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to give them an Intimacy of Lust towards you, at the very least.

It's important to note that most people probably only have 3 or 4 dice at most on their Performance checks - they probably won't be rocking their partners' world just by sex alone.

Alright /exg/, I need some opinions because I'm really torn. Which is better, MA supernal or Brawl supernal? On the one hand, MA seems really fun and my ST's willing to use a couple homebrew Sidereal Martial Arts, and I've been wanting to use SMAs ever since I got into Exalted but never had the chance. But on the other hand, Brawl has everything I need and it looks fun all on its own. Especially with things like Adamantine and Orichalcum Fists of Battle and Ascendant Battle Visage.

So tell me /exg/, what are the merits of both? If it affects anything, I was planning to take a Sidereal Mentor with the MA supernal idea who could teach me Crane, Tiger, Snake, and White Reaper Style.