>year of the lord MMXVII
>not having extremely varied nations in your setting

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/LgOBX
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>year of the lord MMXVII
>having extremely varied nations in your setting
>nobody cares enough to learn about even one of them

but dominions nations are just copied from famous real life/mythological/fantasy civilizations, they're varied but not original.

Varied and unique is the ideal state, but varied is good on its own.

I rather have a fantasy world with a Chinese main empire than a boring dark age medival world.

Why is it always the dark ages, I would kill for a game in the renaissance.

>Stackbreaker
>unable to cast Rain of Stone

Some stackbreaker...

But guys, don't you know that putting effort into your setting is a sign of autism? Only freaks and spazzes care enough to do any degree of worldbuilding! If you're cool like me, all you need is an Adventurer's Guild and you're set!

Now, on to the REAL fun of RPGs: Rolling dice! Epic nat20 bro!

It’s basically fallout NV vs fallout 4 worldbuilding

>Why is it always the dark ages, I would kill for a game in the renaissance.

Nigger what

The "standard" fantasy setting is absolutely Renaissance, with people running around with crossbows, plate armor, and greatswords, while large stone castles are the norm. "Dark Ages" would be a decidedly different experience.

>9 RP

Well, to be honest, why bother?
If it's important, it'll come up, or the party wizard will roll a knowledge check and be told anyway.

If you know outside of what the character knows, then it's meta knowledge and you shouldn't act on it anyway.

Take a look at the missing god

Check out the damage

Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

Tell me the nations that the following are based on:
Abysia
Caelum
Lemuria
Asphodel
Agartha
R'lyeh
Pelagia
Oceania

>a game in the renaissance
I usually say the opposite, but have you tried playing D&D?

Renaissance is boring shit.
Ancient Greece, Roman Republic, Dark Ages Europe, and Golden Age of Piracy are the true patrician choices.

Do large stone castles not exist in the dark ages

>an argument literally no one makes
I hope you feel better after that bit of masturbation.

Nigga just check any HURR ADVENTURER'S GUILD thread the past two weeks (and likely the coming weeks as well).

Generally, no. Forts on hills made of wood with earthen walls were the shit, though.

Neat. I will mark this down in the files. Thank you user.

Not really, at least not in the way fantasy depicts them. Castles weren't introduced to England until the mid-1100s.

>mythological/fantasy civilizations
You forgot something there.
R'lyeh being the easiest one to point out since it is a blatant reference to Lovecraft's works.

That only really knocks out R'lyeh and Agartha though.

Caelum uses a lot of Zoroastrian aesthetics even if the bird people themselves aren't based on anything specific.

The zoroastrian stuff was added after the release of Dom4, and those nations are among the older ones.

Oceania is based on Greek mythology, or specific parts of it rather.

Asphodel is every story of "Don't go in the woods, evil shit happens there" ever.

Lemuria is just more Ermor, which was Rome

>Lemuria is just more Ermor, which was Rome

Lemuria is Scleria, the ERE-ish Ermor offshoot, used death magic as a tool of convenience until they accidentally weakened the barrier between reality and the Shadelands, a sort of death-themed purgatory where things don't quite die all the way. Sort of, I'm really simplifying and don't fully understand it myself.

Ermor used death magic to attempt to avert a catastrophe the augurs predicted, hilariously bringing about that very catastrophe. They were successfully killed off by Marignon and their pact with the devils.

Which makes it more Ermor yes. It's an off-shoot of an off-shoot, but it's still Ermor. It's Byzantium/The Eastern Roman Empire, but it's still Rome.

Sure yeah, I just wanted to make it clear that there wasn't a direct line between MA Ermor and Lemuria. Sceleria split off before Ermor went all death magic, and their descent into Lemuria was unrelated to MA Ermor's cataclysm.

It's not like Lemuria is the advanced form of Ermor or anything, which is a very understandable mistake for someone to make.

That's pretty much the complain people have with the forgotten realms and eberron.

>Abysia
Generic evil fire people with miscegenation scare added in for your enjoyment
>Caelum
Prezoroastrian iranic stuff + wings
>Lemuria
Grekoroman ghosts
>Asphodel
Grekoroman spirits + butthurt
>Agartha
Hollow earth late 19th cenmtury bullcrap
>R'lyeh
Lovecraft’s bullshit with D&D elements added
>Pelagia
Grekoroman sea spirits, kinda disneyfied version of it
>Oceania
Grekoroman sea spirits, now more properly grekoroman

What do I win?

What's the name of this mod?

WHOA.DM, it's made by the guy who also created famous clown mod.

Agree 100%

IT'S OUT

ILLFRAUD YES

>He doesn't write for himself, not giving a shit about whan others think.
I...

>Ancient Greece
Only when done properly
>Roman Republic
Fuck no
>DA Europe
Only when done properly
>Golden Age Piracy
Never seen it done properly but great potential

They absolutely do.

>things done properly are good

wow, any more hot opinions?

The point being that they are usually done badly to the point that the "done badly" is more easily implied by short premises than "done well", dunce.

Think "grimdark edgy fantasy". It can be good, done well, but when you say "grimdark edgy fantasy" you don't think "done well".

An early release of Dom5. Congratulations!

>he doesn't care what the players think about his setting

I think Witcher 3...

>caring what the players think
I'm not here to be an entertainer. If the players don't like my art, that is their problem.

The sole exception is for friends, because I am being an entertainer in that situation. But online, when you have a billion different games to choose from, you may as well play with people who all agree with what makes a good game a good game.
So like I said, then? I think WHFB, personally, but that's grimdark done well.

>playing games for non-friends
>not becoming friends with the people you play with

Well yeah, but ideally through natural selection they should also be people who like the same sorts of games you do.

Face-to-face friends can't have that luxury. Like, damn, I've got such a large pool online because of all the Burgers. I've met a tiny handful of Burgers IRL.

Abysia always seemed to be to be inspired by the Neo Assyrian empire what with the Solar disc God they had which was directly pulled from Assurs symbology.

It was, among other things.

Dom nations are either
>straight historical nation or mythology
>mix of various histories and mythologies
>mix of history or mythology with traditional RPG settings

quality

Dominions is probably the best edgy fantasy.

Undertale preaches to you about killing ~100 guys.

Dominions has you getting your rape squad together and stealing virgins to summon like 1000 demons into your rivals base a legitimate way to win.

It’s not even preachy “you just got 23 blood slaves, congrats”

Or
>historical nation or mythology with bits fucked around for gameplay purposes
For example, the Vanir are elves.

It's not really edgy just because it's dark. Bad people doing bad things aren't edgy, faggots doing bad things for the sake of appearances are edgy.

My setting has a Petty Kingdom where it's aristocracy are all triangular , they're the ruling caste, and the lesser the caste the less euclidean and the less triangular they are.

Oh dominions.

The only game where Cthulhu and Jesus can duke it out only to realize that they haven’t seen the third player and then die to a billion wish spells.

Speaking of, how is 5? I've got too much other stuff in my backlog to work through first.

>playing shit modnations when you could be playing the one with the deepest lore

Haven't played it yet, but from what I've heard it's basically 4 with some minor improvements and more content. For example, the game has a new engine, blessing are now customizable, game now runs in real time so units can now move and attack at the same time. And that's pretty much what I know.

Isnt that just Veeky Forums at that point?

The Clown mod's writing is far, far better than it has any right to be.

i think the engine was a good amount of time, but im not baited enough to do any research so i can't comment any further.

If anything we're Big Hats.

What are some fictional examples of unique nations that aren’t just an expy or mishmash of real world cultures?

I don’t know.

I’ve reached the point that if someone says “hey as long as it works” I can find that image and episode in my harddrive.

I can’t be the only one.

They basically combined vanerheim and aelfheim from Norse into one faction.

Just like they combined neifelheim and jotunheim into one.

Most weird one is probably MA and LA bats. As that mixes nation's together

I wonder if Kirkostaculis will be less weak in 5 with all the new bless effects and the shield nerf.

Do you guys know how to get enhanced magic to work.

I keep getting a #armor error.

Back on topic, what are some settings that do this properly?

What's your favorite Dominions spell, Veeky Forums? Other than Burden of Time, of course.

Wish.

I mean honestly

If I can't pick that I'll go with Bone Melter or Utterdark. Or maybe Admiral Torgin's Wild Ride for the fun value.

Is Dominions 4 worth picking up with the -80% discount, or should I wait until 5 comes up in a sale?

I’d pick up 4.

It’s probably my favorite video game of all time, and CLOWN MODS.

Don't listen to him, the game is best played in MP and mods will be incredibly easy to port from 4 to 5. I think you only have to add one stat to the units?

>the game is best played in MP
How good is it single player?

Is alright for practice but the AI had no diplomacy.

And can't into magic well.
And can't script beyond blobs.

Good for checking early expansion strats.

Iron Blizzard

To be fair,I can't do any of that either.

Is there a full list of all the commands the text parser for wish accepts? I remember there being a forum post some time ago that had the commands that I used to check, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Pythium is more the not!byzantines

Man I put thousands of hours into NV and this is such bullshit. Fuckin /v/.

I mean, you do have to admit that new Vegas is better at about everything in fallout 4 not tied to the engine
>story
>roleplaying
>atmosphere

I tried to run a game set in a fantasy renaissance sort of setting.
It didn't work out because everybody flaked. I don't bother trying to run games anymore. It's a waste of effort.
Sigh...

These are amazing and they are so very very stolen.
What wonders these can be.

If you don't mind me asking, where's the Sublime Clown?

In the mod

So the battles aren't turn/tick based anymore?
I really doubt they sprites are animated this time. So, it doesn't seem like that matters really.

So, blessings are separate from the magic paths now?

I only just beat a game of Dom4 last week, on a small map with 1 opponent,
and 3 thrones... by taking all the thrones.

>So, blessings are separate from the magic paths now?

if your god has fire 1,2 or 3 you get no fire bless.
if your god has fire 4 you get 4 fire points to spend on fire blesses. for example you could spend 1 point for superior morale and 3 for attack skill, OR all 4 points for inspirational presence which gives sacred commanders more leadership and morale to troops and it's always active on the map rather than requiring a priest to cast a bless spell like in dom4.

the most powerful blesses, like Awe or flaming weapons, not only require more points, but also only work when your god is present on the map.

presence or not of backstory doesnt determine if something is a rpg or not
Also yes men being unkillable is shit, I wanted to purge all forms of AI in my playthrough

>yes man being unkillble sucks
I agree, however in fallout 4 you can’t even tell the settlers to leave.

Why in the world would I let people live in my base?

>people

>not slaves

How would you run a game set in the Dominions universe?

I would run it in patala so I could get that snake cloaca

We did one, though only in the setting which was kind of a letdown since it basically played out like your standard adventurer party game. For the most part, plot revolved around getting to Eldregate and killing the mage that cast Utterdark and Burden of Time.

To be fair, navigating an adventuring party through a world embroiled in apocalyptic holy war that's flinging destructive magic everywhere sounds pretty neat.
>the moment you take town UD and BOT some motherfucker in Jotunheim casts Illwinter and Astral Corruption

I write too many settings. I can either have one properly detailed civilization, or a proper setting. Can't stay focused for long enough to do more than one.

Which civ has the best tan?

imgur.com/a/LgOBX