media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/;
Tell me about that one NPC that your players love.

I'm a chuckster!

Would you say Moderately Armored is a good choice for a (obviously not Hexblade) Warlock?

>Goliath Bear Barbarian with Brawny and Tavern Brawler
>Use live enemies as improvised ranged weapons, (a long range of 60 feet)
it's a good meme.

>Tell me about that one NPC that your players love.
Players love the Beast Master's bear companion

Help?

Should my fighter be a rock gnome or a tiefling?

I invented a super-hero for my players. The Cardinal introduced himself by foiling a heist, giving props to our Nightwing inspired monk, and stealing the heart of our rouge.

The rouge's declared intent to make out with The Cardinal and grab his butt has made me less than willing to continue to use him,
i'm not really down to roleplay that at the table

Moderately armoured is a great feat choice, especially if you have odd dex, but I would say charisma is more important if you don't get attacked much ever anyway. Or you can take a single level of cleric or some shit instead and get heavy armour + shields instantly that way.

Depends on your stats obviously, but not usually. Most of the time you want that ASI.

Can you create diamonds by buying a horse and True Polymorphing it into a diamond and concentrating for one hour?

>Should my fighter have +2 int or +2 charisma an no starting feats
Halfling.

Would it be okay if I dumped like eight monsters for feedback? i was bored at thanksgiving visiting family with no laptop so I started converting some 3.5 monsters I liked on paper to 5e and now I just finished putting them into the computer. I'd like some feedback on them so I can add them to my completed monsters. But I don't want to flood the thread with a bunch of posts. Mostly I need help making sure the CR is okay, because I used a calculator but of course it doesn't always pick up everything very well.

Thoughts a Greataxe-wielding STR Half-Orc Ranger? It sounds decent on paper but I've never played ranger.

How many of you actually play 5e?

Be honest, anons.

I just watch Critical Role

>evil PCs

I got a game on Wednesdays

I don't get to play, I'm the DM.

my problem with CR is that it's pointless without knowing how many other monsters will be in the encounter, how big the party is, what level they are, and what classes they are playing.

My party is comprised of 4 players, who are smart enough to force me to always use/create monsters SEVERAL levels stronger than them to make combat anything other than a distraction

There's a sale on some games for my tablet. Which one should I get between Bauldur's Gate, Bauldur's Gate 2, Icewind dale and Planescape: Torment?

That ogre should make 2 attacks with the multiattack action, have a +5-8 to hit, and have a higher AC/HP.

I do, it's the only D&D my dumb friends can play. And playing anything but medieval fantasy never works, so I'm stuck with D&D

I play alot. I'm also writing archetypes and a campaign setting.

I run a campaign Wednesday nights for about a year now, had some big breaks in the middle but we just made it to session 30. They are still 6th level. Plan to do the Atropus storyline from 3.5 elder evils on them but all the foreshadowing I am doing is probably going to be a complete waste since they forget most of it.

i dm and play, but the campaign where I play in is rapidly running it's course for the other players.

The DM there is really into a specific theme about suffering and the struggles to make the world a better place which is fine, but everyone else is getting burned out on the fact that every time we think we score a win it doesn't feel like it. Of course they're too quiet to actually fucking tell the dm their thoughts.

>wanting to play the other editions
user...

I've DMed a couple of times and played in quite a few games.

Despite that I'm still content with making characters from core content.

>weekly
>roughly a year
>6th level

milestone leveling?

I DM one and play in another. I think I'm more comfortable behind the DM screen because then I can stop judging my shitty DMs

He may want to just play other games. I like playing WoD for instance. Really want to try Battletech too.

Ye, every Thursday.

Torment for the story and roleplaying, BG1 for a low level campaign, BG2 for a high level one and Icewind Dale for combat.
I highly recommend Torment.

Same. DMing is often more fun anyway.

>DMing is often more fun anyway.
Yeah, but requires a ton of prep work. The maps take a shitload of my time.

Write a race and class that i am going to use for the next campaign I am in. Dubs get picked as my choice

He's supposed to have a 20 AC. What the fuck program.
Alright well I will fix that... thanks for catching it.
I will reduce his Strength by 2 so he has +8 to hit, and give him 2 attacks / round so average damage of 26 instead of 39. According to my calculator that makes him CR5. Thanks for catching the issues. I think one of my big problems is still making everything so high Strength. I scale it back proportionally but even so the Strength scores in 3.5 got pretty insane.

This

>I like playing WoD for instance
We tried WoD but it didn't work, the only WoD game that went well was Vampire Dark Ages but it became a comedy game

he specifically said the only D&D

yeah but the way I see it, the prep work just means I'm interacting with D&D longer/more often

Female dwarf bard

When playing, I hate how nobody else ever understands rules to the level I do, but I admit I'm not that great a DM and would get too self-conscious.

>milestone leveling?
Nope. Standard XP. The sessions are only 2 to 4 hours though, and usually only 1-2 fights per session.

Vampire doesn't work for most people. My group plays Werewolf which is way less political and environmentally restrictive.

Once a week usually. Also will be DMing soon enough.

>And playing anything but medieval fantasy never works, so I'm stuck with D&D

>Have a long running campaign
>Been trying to get a new player for a while, but in the middle of nowhere and no one is interested.
>New player finally arrives
>A super dorky looking chick
>Okay, chargen
>She wants to see first session before making a character
>Not a bad sign, let her
>She decided to make a Bard based on a minstrel NPC who briefly helped the party with some social shenanigans.
>Actually wants that character, and join the party like that.
>Alright, that's not a bad way to get introduced.
>While making the character, some of the players get a bit asshurt when I say she'll have the same exp as the lowest exp character currently has.
>She says it is fine, and wouldnt mind just starting at level 3
>The formerly mad players this this is perfectly reasonable and fair
>They are level 11.
She just made a level 11 character, but I feel like this is a terrible idea. She seemed fine with it, i guess, but a bit too quiet to be easily read like that.

Is there any way I can let her be a 3rd level character, and still let grow faster in exp than the others? Maybe let her get a significantly increased amount of exp compared to the others?

Any suggestions or ways to let her start from 3, but at some point actually catch up to them?

ok thanks my dude

Frankly, i wouldn't recommend those, because i don't think they aged very well. I am not sure about Enhanced Editions, but i think very basis of the games is somewhat outdated.

Did you liked Neverwinter Nights, Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny? Than they might be interesting for you anyway.

Anyway:
IWD for DnD hack and slash, PS:T for a LOT of dialogues and fascinating world. BGs for something in between.

Is the Primal Savagery cantrip from Xanathar's a good cantrip compared to all the other cantrips Druid could learn?
Its immediate rival cantrip is Shillelagh, which demands a blunt melee weapon for casting. Primal Savagery sounds pretty neat for a druid that masquerades as being unarmed.

>often
But not always. Players don't even know how easy their lives are. It pisses me off when they can't even remember their abilities and shit when they are ONLY CONTROLLING A SINGLE CHARACTER FOR FUCKS SAKE.

>Cavalier, level 11
>Defense style
>Shield Master

The question now is
>Spear Master
or
>Go full DEX and take Defensive Duelist (yes I know it's a meme, but with a 21 AC being able to bump it to 25 is pretty significant)
OR
>Spend 2 ASIs and take Mounted Combatant and ask the DM very nicely if they'd let me take Find Steed as a ritual with Ritual Caster if I took only the one spell

oh. Hmm. The reason I asked is because i've been running one on milestone for just under a year. They've had 14 sessions, each 4 hours, and they're also level 6. apparently i need to slow down a bit.

>She just made a level 3 character
Typo, she is level 3.

If you're moon you're hitting them with your beast attacks, and if you're not moon why are you in melee?

Grey Dwarf 4 Elements Monk.

Okay I think I fixed it. Damage is 24 per round not 26, I'm a dumbass, but my calculator still says CR 5 and since it's a straight damage/hp monster I'm going to take its advice at face value.

Dragonborn Female(Male) WOT4E monk.

>Tell me about that one NPC that your players love.
In a campaign we had going that ended prematurely recently, we had a goat that talked in a deep, demonic voice and claimed to be some dark god, but otherwise acted like a normal goat. He became sort of the party's pet for a time.

Same guy, I ran an 8 year D&D 3.5 campaign and they just made it to level 10 because I gave a quarter the XP I was supposed to give (and mostly just handed out bullshit reward XP in small quantities not even bothering with the broke-ass 3.5 XP system). Point is, whatever works, works. I like slow advancement personally, but you have to have a good driving story to keep players focused otherwise.

We've been running our campaign for 13 months now and the players are going to hit level 17 next Friday. The wizard and bard are creaming their pants in anticipation.
Used XP until level 14 where we switched to milestones to slow it down as the XP requirements dropped ridiculously low.

actually to hell with it i'm posting them all, the thread will be gone in 24 hours anyway. Sorry if I am pissing you guys off.

This is why you should dispel magic all your diamonds to ensure their authenticity.

One of my more favorite 3.5 monsters, just need help on CR and ability wording / rulestext.

>But not always
Yes, that why I used the word often instead of always.

I'd strongly recommend giving her 11th level regardless what other players says (but be more diplomatic about it than i am).

If you want to leave her somewhat behind, fine, but 8 levels difference is fucking insane. Give her at least 9th, IMHO.

I expect she is already familiar with DnD, because bringing newbie into 11th level game and giving her spellcaster is also very bold move.

When i run i give 1level / session to anyone who isn't currently highest level.

How actively involved are gods in a Cleric's life? Can they take his powers away if they feel like it?

Moonbeam or Flaming Sphere? Moonbeam seems better for nearly everything, but Flaming Sphere does cover a slightly larger area and only chews my bonus action to move.

That's better for CR 5.
20 AC is a damn bitch tho.

Half orc tempest cleric

True. My choices are to either become Moon or Dreams. I just think that it's a cool sounding cantrip that I could incorporate into my druid's playstyle, though it's in direct conflict of my vision of using lots of concentration spells.

What if you use it as a spell component? Does the spell know it's only the form of a diamond due to a spell keeping it so? Can the spell cast Dispel Magic?

Rock Gnome for the sick Magic Resistance. EK would be a good pick just to get some use out of your natural INT.

Tiefling can be good, either go for a Feral Tiefling if you want to use DEX or a Zariel Tiefling for STR.

Goliath Trickster Cleric.

Moonsphere or Flaming Beam.

>Level 3 fighter makes one attack with -4 to hit and -2 to damage compared to a level 11 fighter who makes 3 attacks
>A level 11 fighter not only does roughly six times the level 3 fighter's damage, but also is at least four times more survivable

I figure a 16 or maybe 18 in primary attack stat and a +3 proficiency means a hit 30 or 35% of the time. Which is a bitch, to be fair, but that was part of what I was going for with the monster. Helmed Horror had similar so I felt it was okay.

Then again my current party has a barbarian with +7 to hit and reckless attack so he hits pretty much everything I send against him and he's only 5th level.

Guess I am running this

no ability drain pls
3.5 has scarred me

If I want to make a STR brawler how should I go about it?

Just Monk 1/Bear Barbarian?

I made so many of these.
I copied the ability verbatim from the 5e Shadow stats. I couldn't think of much else to do with it except extra necrotic damage which feels boring.

>If I want to make a STR brawler how should I go about it?
You should stop and think how retarded it would be for some "pit fighter" to punch out steel golems.

I know where you copied them - shadow is the only thing in that whole book that does that, and it's a horrible vestige of a dark and terrible period of D&D history come to haunt us all

What'd you use for statblocks?

You should stop and think about how retarded a fireball is in practice. Punching out steel golems is wicked rad and if I wanted realism I'd go outside.

And you should stop and think how retarded it is that an old fuck with a book can turn into a Pit Fiend and destroy an entire army.

I didn't ask your opinion on if it's a thematic option or not nigger, maybe in this setting magic and steel golems don't exist. Hell, maybe it's a setting where technology is still in the stone age so punching things to death is perfectly normal.

The party killed a hydra and found an egg. Is it possible to raise a hydra as a pet?
I know it's a monstrosity but maybe they could at least train it to not attack everything in sight. Awaken would be neat but it only works on plants and beasts.

What should it do instead?
Valloric's stat block maker, it's somewhere on GitHub. Kinda clunk to use but it works very well and does a lot of calculations for you.

What is a cool property a Plate Armor could have besides +2 to AC.

It is Strahd's brother Sergei's full plate set.

Hydras cannot be placated. They will try to eat everything always.

Up to your DM

>Ecology: Despite the hydra’s size and multiple attacks, they are often preyed upon by dragons. They are impossible to train.

She claims to know the system pretty well, and she was pretty quick at making a level 3 Glamour Bard. The fact that she even knew about Glamour is impressive.
>When i run i give 1level / session to anyone who isn't currently highest level.
This sounds like a decent idea actually. She seems to mostly prefer not making a high level character because of the vast amount of character generation and choices to make, before even knowing exactly how she wants to play the character. For a Bard especially, I can understand that concern.

I'd argue it is worse with spell casters, but at least the current party is
>Totem Barbarian
>Eldritch Knighy
>Blood Hunter (Yeah I know, REEE homebrew etc. etc.)
So she will be far less useful, but also be the only person with charisma and even proficiency in any social skills. With expertise in persuasion, she is miles better than they are at level 3 already.

>You should stop and think how AWESOME it would be for some "pit fighter" to punch out steel golems.

FTFY

This

>wizards of the coast, not martials who can boast

I'd definitely say spellcasters are better off. They don't get exponential damage increases and they can get buff spells that work no matter what the target's levels are.

Clerics, for example, can use bless at almost any levle to good effect.
A bard can try to use dissonant whispers and if it succeeds all the martials may get to attack.

Really though, level 3 is completely unreasonable. Level 5 should be the very bare minimum, and that's an entire fucking tier below the rest of the party still. Level 3 is two entire tiers below.
But if it makes people happy, I guess whatever. I'd give them double EXP gain starting at level 3 until they hit the same level as the party, so they'd level very quick.

Tell your party to stop being a bunch of pricks. Seriously, what the fuck. They're upset they're going to have another party member, and a useful one at that?

>Pit Fighter
>Totem Barb

>literally comparing some drunk thug to someone who's got SUPERNATURAL BEAR POWERS and shit who can literally summon spirit bears to ask advice about where they can find some steel golems to suplex in half.
And that's not even getting into shit like a Zealot Barbarian Brawler, which could be pic related except an 8 foot tall Goliath that shits out Radiant energy.

What I'd actually recommend is at least enough of a dip in Rogue to get proficiency in grappling. Normal Grapplekings are Barbarogues using a Rapier with Strength in one hand and grabbing with the other, but you can always mix it up with Monk somehow maybe.

>ITS NOT FAIR THAT SHE GETS TO START AS STRONG AS US REEEEEEE
>LETS GIMP THE GROUP BY HAVING SOMEONE MASSIVELY WEAKER THAN US TAG ALONG REEEEEE

Find a new group user, and take the dorky-looking chick with you. She sounds like a diamond surrounded by shit playing with mongoloids like the other players.