Age of Sail IN SPACE!

>Age of Sail IN SPACE!
>An abundance of planetary systems, stars, nebulae, etc.
>Strange yet creative alien races.
>Adventure on the high space sea (Etherium).
>Pirates. 'nuff said.
>Cat ladies.
>Can be a less grimdark version of Rogue Trader.

I've just watched this movie for what feels like the billionth time and I can't get over how perfect the setting is for a TTRPG. With some more fluff and a good system I can see it working, assuming Disney doesn't drop a cease and desist.

Other urls found in this thread:

animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=b9sycdSkngA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Honestly you could just do an 'inspired by' and it would work fine.

I do love sci-fi that lets itself get weird though. Not just soft sci-fi or space opera, but things like the space sections in the old Transformers movie, or the new Voltron. Or, heck, Titan AE. Things that have no relation to realistic objects actually found in space, but it doesn't matter because they look really cool.

>Things that have no relation to realistic objects actually found in space, but it doesn't matter because they look really cool.

In that case you can't do better than Space Adventure Cobra.

I wonder if a game like Blades in the Dark or 7th Sea would adapt well to this kind of setting?

>Honestly you could just do an 'inspired by' and it would work fine.
I doubt Disney's legal team cares whether something is "inspired by" or not.

just don't use the name, disney can't have possibly trademarked the entire setting

Just use whichever setting had the Spelljammers in ...

I don't know how much the setting was ever developed, but for a game I ran in the Treasure Planet setting I said that much of space is ruled over by the Windsor Empire, though there are other competing nations like the Proteans (mentioned once or twice in the film - Amelia says she is "late of a few run-ins with the Protean Armada"). The Windsor Empire was Britain, the Proteans then were France.

I also established the capital "world" of the Windsor Empire as a Dyson ring around the home Windsor star, basically a gigantic version of the moon-spaceport that we see in the movie.

I think the artbook confirmed that the Empire does have a Queen, a la Victoria.

You underestimate the reach of the Mouse, though on the other hand Disney certainly hasn't copyrighted the basic idea of Age of Sail in Space. Just avoid specific copies (literally Jim shows up or something) and you're good.

All I have to say is that you should be ashamed of yourself if Capitan Harlock is part of the lore.

well, you could probably get away with almost everything if it flies under disney's radar, I don't see them come clashing down on content made by 3rd parties if it comes for free

I want to run a campaign in a space sail setting so bad
Also OP if you want more lore play the PC game.

>being this new

Already exists. Treasure Planet is basically a Spelljammer movie.

Spelljammer, despite some cool ideas, does not do this. It does dungeons and dragons in space, not fantasy space setting.

Anybody have PDFs?

>I think the artbook confirmed that the Empire does have a Queen, a la Victoria.
I've heard that the art book is a bit of a loredump. I'd love to get my hands on it.

Anyone have a .pdf of the artbook?

Also, for those who didn't know, Treasure Planet already had a sequel planned before the first movie released (and bombed).

animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/

>and bombed

still sad about that

There is a solid theory out there that Disney deliberately set it up to fail.

I've been thinking about giving the RTS a try. Anyone know if it's good?

Can you go further?

I mean, you guys DO know there's an RTS, right?

It's advertisement was handled really badly and it was released right next to a small franchise you might have heard of, namely HARRY FUCKING POTTTER!
Also, Diney wanted to get away from 2D animation really hard, so their last 2D movies all had similar issues.

youtube.com/watch?v=b9sycdSkngA
Refer to this

I have been thinking about the setting like that for a while now as well. if you need good character art just google Ratched & Clank Robot Pirates. Lot´s of good designs

It's less of a theory more like accepted fact at this point, but these are the main points:
>two guys at disney had the idea for the movie, disney kept saying not
>disney kept making them make other movies, which were all hits (they did most of the 90's disney movies everyone loves)
>disney execs want to get out of 2D animation because CG animation is so cool and trendy and obviously 2d is dead right?
>finally let these guys make their space pirate movie
>disney gives it no marketing, bad and misleading commercials at most with spoilers in the commercials. Compare that to how much marketing other 2d movies of theirs make.
>purposefully stall to release it at the same time as harry potter so it's overshadowed
>do all of this simply because in the contract they signed years ago to get these guys to make hercules for them, they agreed to the pirate movie and a sequel
>and they didn't want to make a sequel and wanted a solid excuse to say 2d was dead.

And what do you know they've still made 2d animated movies since with massive amounts of marketing because 2d isn't dead, but fuck off if you're working for them, have new and original ideas, and want to bring a dream to life.

Bump.

Go to the /osrg/ thread on this board. It's in the trove.

Are you FUCKING kidding me?! That's awesome. Is it any good?

>I don't know how much the setting was ever developed, but for a game I ran in the Treasure Planet setting I said that much of space is ruled over by the Windsor Empire, though there are other competing nations like the Proteans (mentioned once or twice in the film - Amelia says she is "late of a few run-ins with the Protean Armada"). The Windsor Empire was Britain, the Proteans then were France.

Nice. I've been struggling to come up with a name for the Empire you get hints of in the movie (it's really light on names) but Windsor Empire fits.

What system did you use?

That's what I'm asking! The Steam reviews are fairly positive, though.

It's from an era where Disney actually put effort into their movie-licensed games.

*isn't part of the lore

I only watched this once and I was already in my 30s, but I really liked it.