MTG Drama Thread

It's the season of the witch edition

you can't fucking stop me mods

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lco9Ki-5qfQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Meta thread on why mods are deleting thread is allowed right?

user, we already had a stealth Veeky Forums thread on /pol/
What more do you want?

someone is probably asshurt

But wait, isn’t that the representation you wanted? look! they look like you, and hell one of them even has your surname! it’s totally indian, dude, stop looking for something wrong, or something to hate, and enjoy this set quietly.

No, it is not what i wanted. Not what i’ve waited my whole life for. This isn’t me, or my people, or anything to do with me.

let me tell you a story.

Imagine you lived in a village, and every year, the big store at the center of the village put on a display showcasing one of the families of the village, or the surrounding cultures, or whatever the theme they decided that year was. And one by one, you saw all of your neighbors get to go up, celebrate themselves, and be feted by the town. You participated joyfully, buy their items, share them around, because you loved seeing other people be happy, and you knew someday your turn would come too.

Years passed, and your turn never came up. And then one year, they came and said, Ok, we need a theme this year, so why don’t you bring some clothes and fabrics and things to the shop, and maybe this can be your year.

I like these threads
MMTGGA

I don’t know if Jeremy actually is guilty...but DAMN is he fucking abrasive. I can totally understand why some people are wholeheartedly leaving him to die. I believe in innocent until proven guilty and all that, but at this point he’s making himself look like a nigger.

You light up like a firework. You’d been waiting so long, and you’d built up years of fantasies of what this exact moment would be like. To the store you go, arms overflowing with cloth and accessories, brain overflowing with ideas and suggestions–carefully curated, of course, because you know by now what the people want to see, and you wouldn’t want to overwhelm them.

You get to the store, and instead of the empty space you thought, they already have a bunch of models and dioramas and stuff all set up. Excuse me, you ask, but I thought you needed a theme this year? Yes yes, they reply. See that mannequin in the window? Go ahead and deck it out in the best you’ve got. Make it shine.

Well, you’re here, and you’ve waited, and since you’ve never seen the process, maybe this is just how it goes. You make that model the best you can, so that anyone who sees it knows what it is and where it came from, and you are proud. you know that when your children see it, they’ll see themselves in it. Maybe, maybe they’ll even see you, and be proud of who they are and where they came from.

You finish and turn back to the waiting workers, who say Great, now if you please, give us the rest of that cloth, and we’ll take it from here. Over your protests, they start to doll up the dioramas and models and apparently completed theme they had waiting around with your clothes and apparel, but not quite. We’re just shifting some things around, no worries. Want to make sure folks know that it’s our store still.

It's never enough for the horde.
lmao keep this Manafesto coming Ral Zarek Rodger.

But wait, you say. You guys never did that to the other people who came here. Well, we had this theme here all ready, and didn’t know how to display it, but your clothes are perfect for the job. You can go on home now, don’t worry.

And so, you turn to leave. But wait, you say, and you turn back around, but the door has already shut behind you. They didn’t mind your money, and they didn’t mind your stuff, but they didn’t want you hanging around and mucking it up.

But my kids, you say. We’ve waited so long for our turn, so long to finally share our own culture and joy with everyone else, so that we can repay their happiness the way they did ours. But silence is the only reply.

And the day of the party comes and everyone oohs and aahs at your clothes, cut up and rearranged oddly to make the models pop, and they ask you what part of your culture this or that represents, and you have no reply, because it isn’t yours at all.

And they say, lighten up. You wanted a turn, right? Here’s your bloody turn. Stop being so uppity about it. You should be so lucky that they even considered you! Why, my brother and I had our turns six years apart, and then we had to wait another year before our third sibling got theirs! The nerve of some people.

So you leave. It wasn’t your party anyway.

>Tfw German
>New Phyrexia comes out
>Hope to finally get represented properly in mtg
>No Goblin oven
I was almost raped

>manafesto

kek

I love magic. I evangelize it at every opportunity, and dream of making it some day. It is my passion, my hobby, and the place that i spent the bulk of my entertainment budget. It occupies my mindshare and takes any free time I have. I love watching the games, playing the games, listening to podcasts, reading articles, theorizing about it, and even writing.

But this weekend, for the first time, made me feel that magic didn’t love me. and that fucking hurts. It hurts so much.

I so desperately wanted to be able to play this game, see myself in this game, be able to say that this game was finally of me, and not just a thing i threw money at. You don’t know how badly it hurts to never see yourself in media or culture except in a bad light. I wanted to be the hero, for once. And not just because i mentally made myself. I wanted to see that piece of paper that looked like me, officially made by my favorite thing in the world. I wanted, sad as it sounds, to know that my culture, my life, was valid too, and that my references and folklore and connections were just as real and important as anyone elses.

I wanted to be able to show something to my son and say for you, beta, it will be different. You’ll be accepted like i never was. You’ll be able to celebrate both sides of your parentage, and know that wherever you go, you too are equal to everyone else.

What the fuck is going on with this woman? If he likes Indian culture so much, he can always move back to India and sell his Indian themed RPG book there.

And i can’t. this set isn’t that. this set is my entire life turned into wallpaper for something else. Fuck, would it have destroyed so much to change a few words here or there? Monkeys instead of gremlin, rakshasas or asuras instead of demons? even a few lines of trinket text here or there?

But instead, we have Chandra dancing a reel. You know, the folk dance of Scotland. Because the entire history of Indian culture couldn’t generate even one throwaway noun for a story.

Magic is a hungry beast, and always needs more resources to create more sets. The problem is, once a resource is consumed, that’s it. We’re never gonna get another india set, because we are now forever kaladesh. South Asian kids will always be looking in from the outside, as people that look vaguely like them do things entirely foreign to their experience. we’ll never belong, and never get the chance either, because that forest has burned to the ground, to build up fort kaladesh. the black country indeed.

But i’m a realist. I understand that I lost this battle before i even knew we were fighting. As the saying goes, the pioneers get the arrows, and the settlers get the land. I will never see myself in this game, but if i can make it so that the next time a kid from outside of the norm is looking for reassurance that they matter can find representation and equality in the game, it’s a sacrifice i’ll make.

I waited so long for this, man. I wanted it so badly.

Every one loves seeing setting based off cultures get DIVERSITY'D until it's their culture that gets the shaft.

>say for you, beta, it will be different
His son is called beta?

A few years ago i was at pax, and they announced that they’d have FTV 20 for sale at cost. I camped out at 3am to try because lol, it’s magic and you’ll never get it at cost. I got in the hall and went as fast as i could and was like 14th in line for 10 possible copies. first seven or eight went, and a few others left the line till there were two more and a few dudes ahead of me. a soldier came in and took his copy that somehow had been reserved for him as a person with a disability of some kind. apparently the last copy had also been earmarked for a person with a disability, but she hadn’t shown up yet and it had been four or five hours since show opened. dudes in front of me bailed and it was just me. Lady at the counter sighed, took the copy, and placed it into my hand. my other hand had my money out. She started to reach for the money and then a voice rang out and said “Thanks for waiting!” and the lady straight took the box back out of my hand and pivoted to give it to the other person. I stood there for a few minutes, just stunned like someone had clocked me or something. My hand was still in the shape of holding the box.

She turned, apologetically, and said “Sorry, that was the last one. But how about these chandra goggles instead?”

I turned and left.

I waited so long. I’m still waiting.

fin. So what was your favorite line?

youtube.com/watch?v=lco9Ki-5qfQ

>Fuck, would it have destroyed so much to change a few words here or there? Monkeys instead of gremlin, rakshasas or asuras instead of demons? even a few lines of trinket text here or there?
>But instead, we have Chandra dancing a reel. You know, the folk dance of Scotland. Because the entire history of Indian culture couldn’t generate even one throwaway noun for a story.

I mean...that's not entirely wrong. The set DID handle it rather poorly in actually making it feel remotely indian.

>Being a vegetarian in the early 80s was very different from now, and not really understood at all. Just take the pepperoni off, they’d tell me, you’ll be fine. I’d stare back, blankly. Sometimes, i’d get so hungry that i would just do that. It tasted awful, like smoke and oil and blood. I’d cry every time.

Kaladesh was sold to me as being an indian steampunk plane and it accomplished neither of these goals to a satisfactory extent

>fin. So what was your favorite line?
>I wanted to be able to show something to my son and say for you, beta, it will be different.

>I’d cry every time.

So TL;DR 'The Super Serious Industry People' and 'The Highly Educated yet Easily Offended' are lynching some internet person?

Yeah but he's a attention seeking faggot as well