>Unearthed Arcana: Elvish superiority.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/ What are the chances of the next supplements focusing on Planescape?

EKs are really good but it requires more than introductory game knowledge to play well. Mostly it's their ability to synergize arcane assistance spells with good action economy. Warcaster for Booming Blade Attacks of Opportunity.
Know to cast Shield when it's going to block big damage, because if you shield too aggressively you'll burn spell slots as everything just runs past and ignore the 25 AC fighter.
Know how to get mileage out of your familiar, having it assist you with Shield Master bonus action shoves, etc.
Know what kinds of spells to buff yourself with at the very start, just prior to engaging the enemy or action surging to do so, etc.

Something close to 0%

How would you stat pic related?

unless there is more context
high elf wizard

>Planescape
Fuck I hope not. Besides, I thought Eberron was next to bat?

8/14/13/17/13/10

I've been reading through the Planescape supplements I have, Planescape is a fucking amazing setting with lots of great worldbuilding and adventure seeds. Yes, the setting may have retarded shit but the setting is still amazingly creative.

I also wouldn't mind Eberron, that setting is also fucking neat.

Another thread's OP/10
Other than that, high elf illusionist wizard.

> But how do EKs stack up next to bards?
Depends. EK is a fighter, in terms of hitting shit, you will always trump over a Bard. A Bard however will have spells that grant much utility in battlefield control and aiding your allies.

Do you want to kill shit and have a bit of crowd control at times? Eldritch Knight.

Do you want to have high utility in aiding your allies and controlling the battlefield, while killing things occasionally as an archer or being a semi-tank at the front? Bard.

I have nothing personal against Planescape, but a multiplanar setting getting released means one of my players (who has a hardon for planes and shit) will start wanting to run a game again (we alternate as DMs). When he starts wanting to run a game and gets really into it, he loses interest in any other games going on until he gets to do something with all his ideas. It's the reason he's not allowed to roll new characters until his current characters are actually dead; he'll just stop coming up with cool and interesting expansive ideas for his current concept and devote all his energy to the new one. It's not a purposefully spiteful thing, mind you. He just really gets stuck with momentum when he's being creative.
So yeah, I just don't want him getting sidetracked because he's the driving force in the party right now.
Also he has a nasty habit of sending us to outer planes before we're even level 7 and I really don't want to have to get the beatin' stick out again

Competent elven warlock, pact of the tome,
10/14/13/10/10/15 buy point
10/16/13/10/11/15 + racial

How do you Paladin, /5eg/?

That OP might make it a good time to mention what news we have of upcoming products.

At Gamehole Con, WotC talked about the state of D&D saying that there are potentially 4 major book products coming out in 2018. Unless Mearls misspoke, this is a departure from the previous 3/year. Furthermore, don't expect 6e anytime soon (think 10+ years out).
(Source: ENworld post about the talk)

The next set of books are codenamed Marathon (200-page accessory due out in May), Broadway (250-page adventure out in September), and Catacomb (250-page adventures out in November). This doesn't list 4 products but is still a major departure (with some kind of supplement out early in the year rather than later). This does mean that we are potentially a solid 6 months out from another book release, which is an exhaustingly long time.
(Source: ENworld post about the codename finds)

As of today, Chris Perkins said the first draft for the next adventure is done. That seems pretty damn early for it to be out in September, but we also know a bit about WotC's development process and it can be very long (Pendleton Ward's contributions to ToA were done over 2 years before that adventure came out).
(Source: Twitter)

3 words. Big. Dick. Crits.

>Marathon (200-page accessory due out in May),
As in another splatbook like XGE? That seems kinda fast

My thoughts are that it's a setting supplement like SCAG. I forgot some info in that post that slipped my mind that we know about upcoming product contents: Lantan and Shadowfell will feature in future products (either one or two, not sure if they're together). This was mentioned in some of the Lore You Should Know sections of Dragon Talk on Twitch, there's also probably a ton of little hints from those streams that I'm not aware of.

If it's Lantan, it might be another Forgotten Realms supplement. If it's Shadowfell, it could be a planar supplement.

cast u own special spell
walk around, be stronk as a tonk, push 'em over
advantage CRIT POW it dead
touch self in special way
ask if anyone else wants to mess wit' u and u god

>and u god
3.x pls go

best paladin is a paladin with a god. allows paladin to 'pray' to his god and get special favors. fedora-hat paladins pls go

This also reads as you being a bit too selfish.

>I am a paladin of an ideal

If paladins are no longer required to serve a deity, then why is their magic divine?

Basically it's actually arcane, and the gishfags should be happy.

SO FUCKING HYPED!

>The next set of books are codenamed Marathon (200-page accessory due out in May), Broadway (250-page adventure out in September), and Catacomb (250-page adventures out in November).
Could you please provide a specific link? That'd be awesome.

So there'll be two massive adventures coming out next year? Hopefully these retain the quality of the 1/year adventure modules.

Forgotten Realms requires divine classes to have deities.

Yes I am, thank you for noticing. I worked really hard on this campaign and I'll be damned if we drop it before the players even get to burn all my hard work to the ground.

>Lantan
Well unless they're explaining how all the guns, airships, and technological evolution somehow ceased over the past 110+ years that can only be another lore fuck as big as SKT.

>Shadowfell
More ravenqueen bullshit.

You could actually refluff the entirety of the paladin class to empowered by arcane magic, since they don't have to serve deities. Have their oaths be the scriptures which they must adhere to further knowledge and protect its dissemination.

I'd advise talking about all of it like adults. Set him aside and give him the social contract of finishing your campaign first before planeshopping.

Paladin are like devil, bonded by their oath.

Cloak later became Curse of Strahd; Dagger later became Storm King's Thunder; Labyrinth later became Tomb of Annihilation; and Midway later became XGE. IIRC?
What do people speculate these next codenames might refer to?

>More ravenqueen bullshit.
As if we didn't get enough already.

We've already talked about it (hence why he's not allowed to pre-roll characters). Again, it's not his fault or a conscious effort, and not something I would blame him for any more than I would blame someone for writer's block. It's just something we have to deal with as a group, just as I'll have to deal with being prepared to lose my seat if a Planescape book hits the market, and just as he'll have to deal with being prepared for my boot going up his ass when he buys it.

How much value does lightning arrow's 10 foot radius have compared to hail of thorns 5 foot radius? I'm not seeing any reason to use lightning arrow over an upcast 3rd level hail of thorns besides the larger radius

Wait, Dust later became Tomb of Annihilation; and Labyrinth later became Tales from the Yawning Portal.

>Midway later became XGE
Those bastards were planning to completely fuck the Samurai from day 1

Itd be pretty easy i think.
The oath is basically i highpowered geas but instead of psychic damage you have the magic ripped outta your brain and get cool demon powers for it

???

>kek

the range increase is quite valuable, but the main difference between lightning arrow and hail of thorns is that main target's damage is dealt from the attack roll and not a saving throw.

Clever user

What are good patrons for a Hexblade? Also, what are Good patrons for a Hexblade?

Would any of you kind fellows be able to post the art of the Rat King from Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts? I'd find it myself but I'm at work.

Your patron is the hexblade itself - a mysterious entity who makes them, rumoured to be from the Raven Queen herself. Unless you're also talking about the celestial warlock.

Magic Missile just got super strong with this.

>DM gives my Paladin a gunlance

You better get to worshipping Murlynd.

So, an user gave me a link for the non-SRD content on OrcPub2, but I've noticed the revised ranger is missing. Does anyone have it?

D

So I just decided to order Tome of Beasts for 5e from Kobold Press on Amazon since it was on sale. My current campaign has a slightly higher focus on undead and aberrations, so are there any good undead/aberration creatures in it that you'd recommend taking a look at?

Can that be my Warlock Patron?

Depends if you want to have a distorted eldritch bagpipe sound always in the back of your mind and if your dm is up for it.

Can this be my warlock patron?

It should require concentration (as per the Ready action) but I don't know how necessary that is balance-wise. And it should probably be specific about how it works for spells with more than one target.

>having a servant as a patron
That just makes you a servant's servant.

"Samurai" the word/concept is Japanese.
Samurai got fukt in Xanathar's.
Xanathar's was codenamed "midway."
The Battle of Midway is widely regarded as the turning point in the USvJapan Pacific Theater of WWII.

Ah, thanks, I'm not American.

So basically sell your soul and become a lich essentially? Doesn't sound like it has any downsides. Other than the eventual eternal boredom

I really want to try a Rusalka. Mylings look fun too. Gotta b8 your players in to their own deaths.

Cool. I get the book on Thursday so I'm looking forward to reading into them.

So my DM let me swap out a handful of spells on my valor bard with XGtE ones, and i'm wondering what other people think are good new pick ups? I grabbed Steel Wind Strike and Tenser's Transformation as secrets, even though the equipment proficiency and extra attack are wasted, it seemed like the rest all full of goodies.

should have taken guardian of nature over tenser's, better in my opinion

Just be cautious with ToB, a lot of creatures are deceptively powerful (or have some bullshit abilities) so be liberal with your tweaks.

Pretty much, unless you add some stuff to make the soul selling a little more practical for Kyubey. I like the idea of you having to go out and kill certain creatures at specific times to make Kyubey stronger in the end. You could also add something pertaining to your character doing this out of desperation and learning that those specific creatures your killing are not really as bad as you originally thought.

The key to a healthy immortality is to be exceptionally lazy, and therefore content with doing nothing. Unfortunately such people also tend to be content with not seeking immortality as that would involve too much effort. Ironically, if you seek out immortality, you are not suited for it.

Planescape isn't coming back. Which is terrible, because it's an amazing setting and WOTC's bizarre hateboner for it is incomprehensible.

Yeah, it's by Kobold Press who made the dubiously good Tiamat adventures, so take everything in ToB with a large grain of salt.

Our party just found some hellacious loot in the first "dungeon" we went through. One of the items is a Tan Bag of Tricks, which scared us all when we first used it before identifying how it works and accidentally produced a bear in the middle of our campsite. Compared to the other things we found, it looked like downright mundane. It was one of the last pieces we had appraised, and as soon as we found out how it worked everyone was immediately ready to trade in their prior plunder to get it. Somehow or another, it fell in my hands, but I had no interest in it and was already feeling like I had too much of the share and so gave it to our bard who I felt had gotten the short end of the stick. This guy loves do wacky shit, like throw his instrument (which is a xylophone) or use his dragon's fire breath to burn the ichor and guts off of himself after a scuffle with zombies. What sort of zany shit can I expect to happen now that he has his hands on this wondrous item, and the DM doesn't seem interested in imposing the errata time limit, quantity of animals summoned limit, or the need to use a bonus action to keep the animals controlled. We haven't even had a chance to use it and I'm already sensing some upcoming fuckery and a retconned houserule.

Eberron's much harder to transition to because it has a unique cosmology--it's not part of the same multiverse of D&D settings. As fun as Eberron is, there's more long-term value in Planescape right now because of how it can pretty directly commingle with virtually everything that'll be done in the system.

Moody and unsure of himself, but sincere and quick to act.

Your post here is a bit incomprehensible. They've been hinting to things planar for awhile. Possibly not entirely anything to do Planescape though to be fair.

True, but I think the devs do realize that. Which is why they want to be careful with updating settings to the current 5e set up. I think it was on Nerds on Earth where the devs were also talking about creating a shared multiverse, something like what Marvel has, and what the Wizards crew have been doing with Acq Inc and Dice Camera Action crossovers.

Why won't they fucking make Champions fun to play? Like fuck, is there an archetype class more boring than Champion?

Would you allow a lizardfolks natural armor to carry into wildshape? What if the animal also had scales? Would you allow hungry jaws to be used in wildshape if the beast had teeth?

The next book is an "accessory"? Weird. Is that a new setting guide, or something like SCAG?

Although I really would prefer not to think about upcoming stuff after just being in the hype cycle for XGE.

They made they champion for really new players. I guess it's fun for them.

Champion is the class you make the newbies play when they first start so they can understand the basics before they move on to having options and being relevant.

Anons, I need some serious help. First time playing D&D and my character is a 13 (physically, 32 in years) year old male elf who MUST have an occupation, but I really can't think of one. Also, the DM said to pick a class but I don't know which one to pick. Can elves be sword wielders? Like, samurai swords but not quite.

It's not meant to appeal to you.

There isn't, and that's the point. It's designed to be basic.

If you're a more advanced player just play a full caster like you're supposed to.

Those are very much lizardfolk-y things, but if the druid wanted to be a giant lizard or some shit, I might allow it.

Why change Champion when you can just release new funner archetypes instead?

But this is a setting in which cowboys DO exist, my character just chooses to wield a sword and shield because she read too many 19th century chivalric romance novels

Try reading the phb. Yes I'm being unhelpful but you are asking the most basic of basic questions

How do I magus?

What did your character do in his life?
Have a look at all of the backgrounds and see if there's any you like.
>Can elves be sword wielders?
Why can't they be sword wielders? In fact high elves get proficiency in longswords.

What class appeals to you? Do you want to be roguish, bardic, empowered by the arcane, wielder of the divine, empowered and bound by oaths, wielder of arms and armor, having sold your soul?

High and wood elves both get longsword and shortsword proficiency. Drow get rapiers and shortswords. So yes, elves can wield swords. Also elves reach adulthood at the same time as humans, so a 32 year old elf would still look like an adult.

Have you considered reading the PHB?

The idea that all options should be balanced and equal within reason i guess? I don't necessarily agree. I'd be okay with a couple mechanically inferior subclasses as long as they had a fuck ton of inherent roleplay flavor

New to DnD and tabletops in general so sorry if this is retarded. Is it poor form to reuse a character if they died and/or bring them back to their level/stats when they were first created?

Obviously you shouldn't do that with the same campaign with the same DM, but what if it's a completely new campaign/completely new setting?

Hexblade warlock, multiclassing into either Fighter or Wizard depending on just what blend of/pacing for abilities you want.

Sorry, I don't help peders

It's fine, though if said character is something like "morally ambiguous rogue" then people might get suspicious that you're just an unstoppable edgelord

Average value for your AoE spells, so you can evaluate. pg 249

always round up:
cone: size divide by 10
cube or square: size divide by 5
cylinder: radius divide by 5
line: length divide by 30
sphere or circle: radius divide by 5

I've found that Radius AoE that's centered on a creature and not a point is better evaluated by adding 5 feet to the range, for complicated reasons.

This is a great way to estimate the value of a particular spell or ability. Hail of Thorns will usually only hit 2 creatures where Lightning Arrow hits 3.

So some comparison
lvl 1 spell slots:
>Hail of Thorns (5+5 ft. radius divided by 5 = 2)
>normal attack(8.5 probably) + 11 (2*[1d10]) damage
>burning hands (15 ft. cone divided by 10 = 1.5, round up to 2)
>21 (2*[3d6]) damage
lvl 3 spell slots:
>Lightning Arrow (10+5 ft. radius divided by 5 = 3)
>normal attack + 54 (3*[4d8]) damage
>Fireball (20 ft. radius sphere divided by 5 = 4)
>112 (4*[8d6]) damage
and when those level 1 spells are uplevelled to level 3
>Hail of Thorns
>normal attack + 33 (2*[3d10]) damage
>burning hands
>35 (2*[5d6]) damage

now it's useful to compare the damages of very large AoE spells with subtracted targets to see when to switch it up. This isn't perfectly accurate because even against fewer targets a larger range/radius is useful in actually hitting those fewer targets. Still, compare:

Lightning Arrow, Hail of Thorns, and Fireball vs. 2 targets
>normal attack + 36 (2*[4d8]) damage
>normal attack + 33 (2*[3d10]) damage
>56 (2*[8d6]) damage

If you ask me, you could just give them expertise (choice of athletics or acrobatics) at 3rd level and call it a day. Really hammers home the "physical perfection" angle while giving them a bit more utility.

I am but I don't know what to do since he's so young and...stupid. Especially for an elf. I actually rolled a 3 for his intelligence but since the minimum is 6 it got bumped up to that. But then he's also extremely OP, especially for a 4'6' 13 year old retarded elf since he has an 18 in dexterity and strength.

He spent most of his time sword training and doing some sort of dance that makes him extremely flexible. The D&D equivalent of ballet or something. On his off time he helped his elf and half-elf parents with their comfortably successful farm. But now they're successful enough that they can afford to hire people to work the farm for them.

I...I don't know what classes appeal to me the most. Maybe bard? But I don't know if he qualifies. And generally bards use musical instruments, right? He can only dance. Maybe just a wizard or a fighter. Maybe a druid. Sorry, I'm still so new to this I'm struggling to retain all the information and I don't remember what the requirements are for those classes.

>what if it's a completely new campaign/completely new setting?
Personally it annoys me when someone at the table plays the same character again because it makes me slip into old character habits when I react to them and my current character suffers as a result. That being said, ask the people at your table who were there for the first iteration of your character if they mind. If they don't then who cares.

Wait, they do? DM told me they age slower. I'll have to bring that up with him. I have the PHB but it's a lot. But I'll read more.

Ew, I'm not a pedo.

That would be completely dependent on the DM. If he's running a game with higher level characters and doesn't want to bother checking your sheet or watching you roll stats and shit, then why not. You should obviously tell him if you have some broken magical item or whatever.

I've played the same character with the same name and backstories in different games because I felt unsatisfied on games that had shit stories or ended prematurely.