media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/ >Thread question:
Now that the dust has settled, how would you rate Xanathar's Guide to Everything? Was it a good thing for the system?

I like it except the Racial Feats. I think that's a slippery slope that should be avoided.

And if we are not avoiding it, it should have included some for other official races, like Goliath, Genasi, Tabaxi etc etc.

I'm not a fan of reprinting stuff from SCAG either. I know why they do it, but still.

>I like it except the Racial Feats. I think that's a slippery slope that should be avoided.

How so?

>I like it except the Racial Feats. I think that's a slippery slope that should be avoided.

My personal preference is that Racial Feats should only exist for stuff that is biologically part of the race. Like say, improving a Dragonborn's breath because that's something other races can't physically do.

>Now that the dust has settled, how would you rate Xanathar's Guide to Everything? Was it a good thing for the system?
8/10
Great read, cool new options, and not just 3.x shitbloat that fucks up the balance of the game, and avoids making character generation more complex, and generally avoids outright trap options.

But fuck Hexblade. That thing has ruined free multiclassing permanently, and forces GM fiat to avoid fucking over the game balance.

+1

Prodigy being a human only feat is retarded, and just further pushes Vhumans as the best race. HFY wank at its worst.

>Now that the dust has settled, how would you rate Xanathar's Guide to Everything? Was it a good thing for the system?

Eh, not great. It was more or less just a compilation of stuff they released online already.

You want a return of the terror of 3.5?
Mountains of sourcebooks with one maybe two good feats in them. Players focusing more and more about optimal feat selection and not on how their characters are going to make child support payments.
Or be like me and not allow feats. Problem solved.

>it should have included some for other official races, like Goliath, Genasi, Tabaxi etc etc.
This. It should have included all of the official races so far.

Welcome to /5eg/, home to "casters will always be better than martials under all circumstances, no exceptions", "a level 3 wizard can solo-kill a beholder because Fog Cloud shenanigans", "I ask my party to cover and uncover me with a cloak when its not my turn to prevent the enemy caster from counterspelling", and "'[insert rules question here]' -> 'READ THE BOOK'"

This is so wonderfully, remarkably apt.

>Design a gimmicky fun to play, though ultimately not that strong, character
>Now I need to think of a good backstory
>Hard part being GOOD

Man the worst part about making any kind of super speshul obnoxious multiclass is trying to justify it in a way that doesn't come off as cringe inducing.

Also
>this captcha

>nixing half the reason fighter class is not actually all that shit, all things considered

Path of the Storm Herald/10

My favorite subclass, I'm glad it's legal now.

Did you just call your own post remarkably apt?

>My personal preference is that Racial Feats should only exist for stuff that is biologically part
Races should only get biological bonuses, not this "elves get proficiency with bows" non sense

Personally I'm a big fan of Zealot Barb. The mini-smite once/turn is probably weaker overall than the burning AoE but honestly better in the long run since I won't fry my allies and it fits the theme of the one I made of a Paladin that flunked out of Paladin school but still kinda-sorta smites.

>But fuck Hexblade. That thing has ruined free multiclassing permanently
I don't think multiclassing is necessary for 99.9% of concepts now that XGE is a thing

>It was more or less just a compilation of stuff they released online already.
Would you rather not have UA?

>wagh wagh I can’t have GWM wagh boo hoo

No, someone else's post but it describes 5e autists so very well.

I don't get these people, they complain that without feats the Fighter has no interesting options, but the moment you say you don't allow feats the first thing they bring up is GWM and how martials need it to do damage, instead of bringing up feats like Magic Initiate, Ritual Caster and Actor.

Too many books with options. People will nitpick to create the "best". And the more sources you have the less balanced things will become.

Could be cool. stronger breath feat. Tiefling tail feat that makes you hold or do stuff.

I'd much rather they keep releasing stuff online first and then collect feedback and rebalance.

It could have been a complete shitstorm.

I have a Warlock Spy build that absolutely requires actor to do his job properly.

Or sharpshooter. It's half your damage down the drain. You are literally half as effective without it.

And you ALSO can't take the interesting feats that help with out of combat stuff, so you are even more pigeonholed into being a combat-only guy.

>I'd much rather they keep releasing stuff online first and then collect feedback and rebalance.

Yeah but I'd like to actually see new material in books. Back in 3.5 when they showed off some free stuff online from an upcoming book it wasn't the vast majority of those books.

>You are literally half as effective without it.
Wrong mindset

You're literally twice as effective with sharpshooter

>Actor
Great feat for a CHA build. Add that in with some form of magical shapeshifting and you're a top tier infiltrator.

>Could be cool. stronger breath feat. Tiefling tail feat that makes you hold or do stuff.

4e had a massive shit tonne of DB breath feats, dragging up a couple of them for 5e combined into a 5e feat could be interesting. That and making the breath...well, more worth using as it doesn't really scale very well right now.

Nah I’m just taking the piss. I allow feats in my game just not the variant human. except for lucky, fuck that noise.

That's just glass is half full/glass is half empty. Neither is wrong/right.

>That's just glass is half full/glass is half empty. Neither is wrong/right.
No, allowing feats is an optional rule. Players shouldn't feel entitled and take them for granted

So, are encounters/XP values balanced around fighter with feat or fighter without feat?

On literally kills things twice as fast (or if you want, twice as slow, I guess).

The issue there is that despite being 'optional', some classes like the fighter were very clearly designed with them in mind as it's literally the only non-combat options built into their class.

Prodigy is kind of a garbage feat though

>are encounters/XP values balanced around fighter with feat or fighter without feat?
It's balanced without feats

Prodigy isn't human only.

Guys, how do I do Dark Sun in 5e? I love the setting and I want to play something true to setting, but all I can find is the old AD&D stuff, and the 4e campaign setting. Anything you can point me to?

Where is that stated?

>fighter were very clearly designed with them in mind
Not necessarily, designers never mentioned this at all, getting an ASI at 6 lets you pull ahead on the curve and every new fighter subclass want you to improve a tertiary stat (PDK wants CHA, Arcane Archer wants INT, Cavalier wants 20 CON asap...)

>it's literally the only non-combat options built into their class
Then banning GWM, PAM, CBE and SS shouldn't be a problem at all

>Where is that stated?
When they made feats an optional rule I think? When they decided most monster would have very low AC?

So archetypes aren’t enough for you? Whats that one that gets like over a dozen maneuvers to choose from is not enough option for you?

>Then banning GWM, PAM, CBE and SS shouldn't be a problem at all
What's wrong with them?

I'm mostly just starting to get into the game, and I could use some help designing my character.

I want to play a Lawful Evil tiefling sorcerer/warlock.

The way I see it, alignment is mostly about outlook and motivation. My tiefling will be outwardly heroic, but his motivations will be entirely selfish. He is loyal to his allies (the party) since they are useful, and the stronger their friendship the more useful they will be. He acts entirely out of self gain and only agrees to quests and such if there is a reward, even if that reward is simply positive notoriety or the good will of the party. Mediating and keeping the party together increases efficiency, so he'll always try to be the peace keeper. Betraying the party or just being an asshole in general has no benefit, and is in fact almost certainly counterproductive, so he hardly gives thought to such things. On the other hand, he has few scruples and is perfectly willing to get his hands dirty. If an enemy gets defeated, he is hardly going to let them live unless they can prove beneficial in some way. He's certainly motivated by greed and such, but he plays the long game and just wants to retire in a comfortable, safe position. Overt wealth and glory are nice, but too much of that sort of thing causes resentment and creates enemies who want to take it.
In other words, he's a sociopath.

As for the classes, I really like the idea of a sorcerer/warlock combination. The sorcery fits with the fiendish heritage, and my character is absolutely the kind of guy to agree to a warlock-style pact.

What are some fun combinations of sorcerer bloodlines and warlock pacts?
I'd like to avoid fire-themed stuff, as I find that sort of thing a bit boring.

Banning crossbow expert means you basically can't use crossbows as any class that has extra attack, though.

Where is it stated that combat encounters are balanced around the possession of a certain feat?
As I recal the encounter builder od CR ratings is more of a general guideline than a hard and fast rule.

>So archetypes aren’t enough for you?

Very few of the archetypes add non-combat stuff.

And banning GWM and PAM means you have 0 use for two handed weapons. That 2 points of average damage sure as shit isn't worth giving up a shield for.

>That 2 points of average damage sure as shit isn't worth giving up a shield for.
That's totally subjective tho

Also rule of cool

Even classes without extra attack don't want crossbows without it as they generally have use for those actions it takes (Rogues) or have cantrips (mages) that are better.

Let's decide right here and now, which spell is better for taking out the biggest threat in a fight while you deal with the adds: Banishment or Polymorph?

Keep in mind that Polymorph:
- Can shapeshift allies, providing more flexibility
- Uses a wisdom saving throw
- You can accidentally revert the shapechange with AoE damage
- Lasts up to 1 hour

And keep in mind that Banishment:
- Completely removes the target from the playing field, which allows for more willy nilly use of AoE spells
- Can permanently banish creatures who don't belong in your current plane
- Uses a charisma saving throw
- Lasts for up to one minute (about 10 rounds of combat)

Which is it?

>That's totally subjective tho

Not really? The number of situations where 2 handed is better than a shield is very, very minimal without it.

Depends entirely on the situation. This is a dumb question. The players in my game, and in games I'm part of usually follow these simple rules on deciding which is the better spell to use:

>Multiple enemies?
Polymorph an ally into a huge HP sponge.

>single big dude capable of smacking our shit alone, but has minions?
Banish the fool while we clean up the mooks.

Well I hope you give everyone a level 1 feat cause that's the only reason anyone picks variant human.

As a GM, I do the following:
>No MCing during char-gen for any reason.
>MCing requires a clear and obvious reason. If you have to explain to me why it makes sense, I wont allow it.
>MCing can expect some issues related to their multiclassing classes, especially the neglected one, where applicable. MC warlock2/sorcererX? Expect your Patron to make your life hell, as you avoid tapping more into the power it has granted you.

It generally makes MCing more of a "This actually makes sense for my character" choice, and less of a "but this would be more optimal..." choice, as I straight up wont let you without an extremely good reason.

Half humans can get it too, sure, but it shouldn't be race specific at all. It should have been a core feat.

I think the way Feats are loosely implemented don't reflect the nature of a lot of them.
Nearly all of the Feats come off as something a player/character should earn (more than just the arbitrary Level Up), granted to them by the DM as a reward, or something gained during a period of extended downtime, or something inherently natural that was a part of their background (like Keen Mind or Xanathar's Racial Feats). For example, the Warlock Spy didn't just become a skilled Actor overnight, he was traditionally taught in a theatre and had a lot of focused practice.

I've never had the opportunity to DM, but I think ideally I'd allow all players (no need for VHumans) to choose one Feat on character creation as a feature/fluff for their background. Any other Feats will be granted by the DM through roleplaying.
You want Elven Accuracy? It's an inherent racial feat, something you'd be born with. You pick that at Level 1. You have no other opportunity to choose it.

You want Magic Initiate? You must find some Wizard/Druid/Bard who is willing to spend the next month teaching you the basics of spellcasting, either for a price or because you helped him with that thing or out of the goodness of his heart. Another player can even teach such a thing, but is effectively giving up his downtime and opportunity to get his own feat by teaching someone else... or perhaps opening up a path to unexpectedly earning some of the more subtle Feats that players usually overlook. The wizard player who taught the Fighter the basics of spellcasting gains the Observant Feat because he'd been paying close attention to his pupil's hand and mouth movements, gets a +1 to Int and is better at reading people.

The new guy made a Champion Fighter? Well he's been such a good sport and has been kicking ass, he earns Martial Adept to reflect his development in combat and to give the now slightly more seasoned player a few toys for his existing character.

Help me think of a good backstory for a heavy armor Shadow Monk. Anything that comes to mind for me just comes off as boring cliche or too "spechul snowflake", need to get a good middle ground.

Any good deals on books floating around? I'd really like to finally pick up a physical copy of the MM for under $25

>heavy armor monk

I'm not going to make fun of you, I like unconventional character builds, but what difficulties did you run into making this? I've wanted to make a heavy armor wearing Sun Soul Monk for a while now.

contrary to what numbnuts in last thread believes, making an additional attack as a bonus action from missing an attack (Arcane Archer), is mathematically powerful and quite significant.

How do you explain the inexplicable gain of new abilities and features through typical advancement? Why are feats any more gamey than the system already is without them?

It's more effective than you'd think. Here's some other user's image.
Red is things you can't use in armor/shield/non-monk weapon.
Green is stuff that works with all that.

You can do it however you want to get your proficiences, either a Fighter 1 dip or a Cleric 1 dip both work well, but I'm going full MAD/weeaboo and picking Hexblade 3 for short rest level 2 slots and Devil Sight.

>as something a player/character should earn (more than just the arbitrary Level Up), granted to them by the DM as a reward

I actually do this. It's just like magic items but sometimes it fits better.

Sun Soul Monk works especially well because there's nothing about the Radiant Sun Bolts that says it's tethered to Martial Arts, or that wearing armor/shields affects it in any way.

Any of you have any experience running/playing The Lost Shrine of Tamoachan from Tales From the Yawning Portal? Any info is appreciated. I'm planning it these days.

>Want to play lawful evil corrupt paladin
>Fuck evil people up but willing to look the other way if bribed or it lets him kill more
>All the oaths have some variant of "uphold good, help people"
That is so fucking stupid, leave that shit up to flavor.

>Bringing over your autistic screeching into the new thread
Kill yourself.

>How do you explain the inexplicable gain of new abilities and features through typical advancement?
As class features, you are actively working towards those things. An Eldritch Knight is explicitly going down that path, so it can be assumed that for Levels 1-2 in which he's a totally magic-less Fighter, he's been doing some personal studying for the day he can bamf his sword in and out of existence and throw a couple firebolts at people.

If you multiclass (hopefully not because you're just dipping 1 Level into something else for all the frontloaded benefits and are doing it more for roleplay purposes), you are diverting all the time and experience it took to reach the next level up to divert your attention to something else.

Feats however are overall smaller, compact things. A lot get ignored by players for how seemingly weak, innocuous and not-combat-focused they are. Ideal for being gained as a reward or in exchange for something.

So now that both Xanathar's and all the Tomb of Annihilation stuff is out, what's next? I can't seem to find any info about upcoming splats or adventures.

Not compared to just having a bonus action attack without arbitrary requirements and restrictions. Which is what people were arguing for. Your straw man was a nice try though.

>Plate armor+Shield ranged not-Paladin
neat

This is how I see feats as well. I only really take feats level 1 with VHuman and basically never during an actual game. It just doesn't feel right to do that.

Both of you go the fuck back into the old thread, and/or fellate a shotgun and pull the trigger.

Does anyone know what level the characters of Acq Inc are?

Yeah, would it really have been so hard to come up with one feat for each other official race? That could have all fit on 1-2 pages since it's not like there's that many others anyways. If it was a problem of not having the page count then it's not like we needed 10 pages devoted to names.

Generally, the fact that the ONLY feats in the book are racial feats is a bit annoying.

And since Radiant Sun Bolt is considered an unarmed attack, it doesn't require a free hand, so your Fighter/Monk can wield a weapon and shield and fire radiant lasers from their eyes (because headbutt).

If your DM is a handsome popular cool guy, he'd even let you wield two shields and fire eye-lasers.

>The issue there is that despite being 'optional', some classes like the fighter were very clearly designed with them in mind as it's literally the only non-combat options built into their class.
If you play with public groups you will quickly realize that if, public groups are representative of the average player, most players don't care about anything other than combat.

>the newest splat has only been officially out for one week
>so what's next guys???

Kick back and relax with your favorite beholder, because it'll be a while before we get new toys.

But if you just assume that these abilities are gained through daily improvements, why aren't you assuming the same for feats? Plenty of classes give you additional proficiencies, languages, boost damage, or give you you new abilities and powers exactly like the feats do. The nature of the system is that nearly everything is essentially binary. You don't have something, then you do. Feats are hardly unique in this regard.

Should I play:
>Funtime necromancer that just wants a big family of undead
>Fighter (or Ranger?) monster hunting expert that's only in it for the pay
>Johnny Bravo, the bard

>Play a Rogue
>Grab Magic Initiate at level 1
>Arcane Trickster at 3
>Ritual Caster at 4
>MC into wizard after getting Rogue9.
My GM is usually against MCing, but he never as much as raised an eyebrow at this.

GWM, Sharpshooter, War Caster, etc. should be baked into relevant archetypes in my humble opinion.

I actually just woke up, saw some dumb user complaining in the previous thread, and felt it necessary to inform others. I don't want other anons to be incorrectly informed, you know?

I'd do the same thing if someone was shouting about how Barbarians are bad.

With 2 attacks and 50% hit chance:
75% chance of dealing 1d8 (4.5) damage on a bonus action
0.75*4.5 = 3.375
Hand crossbow deals 1d6 (3.5)
3.5 - 3.375 = 0.125
You deal one more damage on each attack (long bow is 1d8), so +2 damage.
Compared to a hand crossbow you deal
2 - 0.125 = 1.875 more damage

Only drawback is you need a second target.

GWM/PAM/Sharpshooter and the like are now level 3 choices for Champion, just like BM gets maneuvers, rather than feats, is the champion good now?

This gets a little MAD, though, doesn't it? Since you still need to max out your Dex for the sunbolts, unlike your typical strength based heavy armor user.

>I am a retarded mongoloid who wants to start another shitfest of screeching autists here
Fuck off back to the old thread and have your "fun" there.

Raised in a not-too secretive monastery, you gained an affinity for using heavy armor not out of an attempt to master your skills while burdened, but because you were the literal punching bag as a kid. One of the students most often donned in heavy pads during training while the other kids wailed on you, you had grown so used to the stiffness, weight, and getting hit a lot that you gained a knack for actually operating under such circumstances.

Ranger Monster Slayer

Dwarf says otherwise. And heavily armored Monks screams Dwarf anyways.

1. Feats are optional
2. If you calculate performance through action economy, etc, every class falls into a neat little curve across levels.
You can basically reverse engineer the mathematical planning. -5 +10 break that math terrible

>Arcane Archer fags actually starting to shit up another thread
Fuck XGE, now we not only have Gishfags, Wizardfags and Mysticfags, now we have Arcane archerfags as well.

I am not sure these threads will survive a lot more class options, 5e seems to he quite a breeding ground for autistic faggots.

I'm just curious if they've announced anything is all. I'm in the middle of a campaign that isn't going to be over anytime soon so a new adventure won't do much for me and Xanathar's is still fresh, so I'm good on both fronts.

Just wondering if they've actually announced anything yet. I would have suspected they'd at least hint at what the next adventure will be.

Pick Githzerai. They literally chose the Limbo plane as their home because the everchanging chaos challenged their minds the most, so I could see them applying the same ideals to heavy armor and their bodies.

How have I never noticed this?

Is there a ruling clarification for how this works if you're using variant encumbrance rules?

Conquest exists now. Or just discuss with DM and re-fluff?

I suggest taking your meds before posting then, you autistic faggot.

How do we fix the math to accommodate -5/+10 feats? How much would I need to increase AC and reduce HP? I was thinking something like halving monster HP and increasing AC by 5

>Want to play lawful evil corrupt paladin
So not a paladin

polymorph. Flexibility almost always wins. You can always cast Sleep after polymorph to really put them down too.

Then for funsies because it was a DMPC you can disintigrate it while it autofails in its sleep, then rub your giant wizard dick in the dust as you taunt the DM with your superior intellect.