So what's the deal with this? Is it actually any good?

So what's the deal with this? Is it actually any good?

It seems a lot like "Fate, but more complicated" from what I've read of the rules so far.

Should I give it a chance, or just use Fate for narrative superhero games?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/4dx7zmacc2ar5/Heroics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's Fate but not as wishy-washy. I've played about 4 games with it and it's open enough to let people pick whatever but there are no fucking rules to rein people in. It's entirely dependent on your group if you're going to have a good time with this one.

Why would you EVER use Mousevel for anything?

Stick to Fate.

>It's Fate but not as wishy-washy

Really? It sounds a lot more vague and abstract from what I'm reading. It gets a bit too esoteric with terminology for my taste, and it seems like nothing really matters since everyone will end up building very similar dice pools, while in fate you at least have a very clear distinction in skill levels and stunts to differentiate how each character can contribute.

Maybe with a good cheat sheet I can wrap my head around it.

You got your Doom Pool and a scene descriptor for things like "Oh God Everything's On Fire". 3d8

A player rolls his Water Control and his other dice against the DP and the descriptor to try and wittle it down. Let's say 2d8, 1d6.

Both pools are rolled and let's say GM rolled 13 with 2 dice and the player rolled a 12 on 2 dice. The player can spend a plot point to include the last die to beat the score and overcome the obstacle or whatever.

Characters can spend a turn creating short term constructs or inflicting status effects obstacles or enemies. Skills and such are categorized by specialties at d8 or d10. In comics, you're pretty good at something, one of the best at something, or it doesn't matter to you.

Stunts are tied to your powers/specialties and explicitly relate to them. If you can't think of a creative/cool way to use them, you are stuck with just a generic Push die to showcase extra effort at the cost of Plot Points.

Then there's SFX and Limits to use and generate PPs respectively. There's more to it when you start factoring in stress and things like that but the system is there to emulate a comic book feel. The Doom Pool will inevitably get bigger as the session goes on and stack the odds against the characters but offer them more opportunities to do dramatic shit.

I get all of that, I just finished reading the Operations Manual, but it all seems like just a jankier way of doing what Fate Core ended up clarifying a couple years later. I think this came out like two years before FC.

The whole building dice pools, choosing effect dice, messing around with a lot of dice sizes and etc seems to create a big divide between the fiction and the mechanics, and I'm afraid it would pull some players right out of the game, while in Fate you have the very simple "small numbers + fudge dice" mechanic to it.

Still, I'm going to give it a shot next weekend with my group, especially since there's very little need to roll characters since almost every relevant hero already has an official datafile.

I don't know if you can find this anywhere else, but they did have a random character generator. I have included that and dump a couple of other handy things I have used.

Thanks a lot, man.

No problem

I was in a game of this a while ago-the GM had to quit due to life stuff, but it was very fun. I think I had the weakest character out of character creation, but it didn't feel like such a big deal.

It's a fair comparison to compare it to Fate. It's a bit more dynamic in its dice resolution, and using different skills and abilities feels different, rather than just a different flavoring of the same skill multiple times. Give it a chance, it's fun.

I will say I have had a blast playing it. The best session we had was a press conference where our team of fuckups was getting grilled by the press and we started to take mental stress. We quickly realized we had no party face and why it is important.

I had Hulk's official character sheet, but it was too big for Veeky Forums. Anyways, this is my last one aside from a bunch of random fanmade heros and villains.

Yeah, I think my group will have fun with this.

It's a shame it got sacked, the Age of Apocalypse books they were planning would've been absolutely amazing.

What's the official word on the reason for Marvel pulling the plug? Sales?

No clue. It's a real shame. I really wish this system had more traction online and offline, it's probably the most fun superhero system out there for just doing superhero stuff.

I think I was your GM. Sorry about disappearing so suddenly. Shit was bad and I haven't played much Veeky Forums since, but I hope I didn't sour you guys too much.

I think it was due to poor sales, but it might have been around the time Disney bought them out. If so Disney could have decided to break contracts and just hasn't gotten around to making another RPG for Marvel yet.

Here's a folder with every book I could find for the game: mediafire.com/folder/4dx7zmacc2ar5/Heroics

Basically, the publisher promised Marvel the moon. The core book did well but Civil War came in under what they projected. Despite being profitable they decided it wasn't enough to bankroll the rest of the planned lineup.

Also Cam Banks, who was the heart of the development of most of the Cortex/Cortex Plus games, bought near universal rights to the rule system from MWP and is doing a sort of consolidated reboot called Cortex Prime that is supposed to have all the different versions in one book.
Though, I don't know if he's also managing the Firefly and Leverage stuff that's still for sale or whatever.

He isn't. He's only responsible for the next iteration of the system and stuff for that going forward, called Cortex Prime. It's good shit.

It's cool, I know how getting IRL'd feels. If you get the chance to run again though, send me a message.

Sweet.

Damn, this actual play makes the game seem pretty damn smooth.

I want to play it ASAP