Adding Creep Factor

How can i make this monster even creepier aesthetically?

Monster is 9ft tall, two long lanky arms, a cloak to hide most of its body and its face, when you try to look at its eyes you see the outline of a jaw and a red eye. its skin can camouflage to its surroundings.

thats the description i have written for myself for its visuals.

the players were introduced to it like this "You see it hunched over, hiding behind a tree, peering the other direction towards your camp" the player tried attacking it and missed "the being jumps out of the way your strike and to your position in the blink of an eye, it stands up and is now lumbering over you, two lanky arms come out from under the cloak the skin looks grey and dead, and as you try to look it in the eyes all you see is a piercing red glow"

other creepy things it has proceeded to do as they've encountered it include
- climbing on any surface
- jump good
- when it lands it lands like a feather not damaging the ground
- chop off its own hand to lure them towards it
- attack without turning its body or looking at them
- when they touch it they feel super cold

What else can i do to add to this things creep level? the players have already said theyre scared as balls so far but now theyre about to chase it down to retrieve their ally and i wanna add more.

the creatures type and everything is made up 100% so anything goes for more creep.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=EhXlAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT80&lpg=PT80&dq=aztec rattlesnake penis&source=bl&ots=zeEnAC-mhm&sig=oVO7oTb9Aqh--pc9l4du_ddfdq8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFt9jSguDXAhXrxYMKHUD7BWMQ6AEITDAM#v=onepage&q=aztec rattlesnake penis&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Make it kind to children. Never answer why it is giving them gifts. It has its own purpose and motivations.

>Ear canals pop from pressure of just looking at it
>The red eye is just to intimidate, in reality it's other senses are more keen
>You feel oddly allured by it despite your unease
>It is completely silent, COMPLETELY. You think you hear rustling in the bushes? Guess again it's nothing. You hear a stick crack behind you? Nope. You hear absolutely nothing, as if it seems to *suck* up noise near it. You can only tell it's there when there's literally nothing you can hear, not even your own breathing.

Feel free to pick and choose. That last one could even be used as a plot device for why you can't hear someone, or others notice that it's too quiet.

Oh shit, almost forgot classic of body horror:
>It's body moves more like a snake than a humanoid. Every part of it that can vend, can bend almost freely. This thing could practically snap it's own back backwards to look at you behind it

yumm, body horror

Stubby barney arms that he can extend into lankosaurus mode.

bright purple all over.

Dick is a snapping turtle.

Can absorb stilling living people into it who are stuck on its skin as faces that can still think, see and reason and speak.

that...is still pretty horrifying, I'm not sure if you were trying to shitpost

Whats beneath the robe...

>Dick is a snapping turtle.

That's half hilarious, half the most terrifying thing ever.

Give it some contrast.

It leaves gifts for the players sometimes. The note, written in its own blood, says it noticed that they were missing X item or could do with this and that. Things that really help, as well as dead birds and other hunted, mangled food. Said gifts relate to moments where the players weren't facing it.

>Dick is a snapping turtle.
That's worse than the rattlesnake penises of aztec skeleton demons.

Make it seem more familiar. Have them try and understand what it is.

It isn't that.

they first theorized it was a wendigo, currently they thinks its a super wendigo on steroids.

>That's worse than the rattlesnake penises of aztec skeleton demons.
the hwhat?

Add more eyes. Dozens of them.

He isn't joking
books.google.com/books?id=EhXlAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT80&lpg=PT80&dq=aztec rattlesnake penis&source=bl&ots=zeEnAC-mhm&sig=oVO7oTb9Aqh--pc9l4du_ddfdq8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFt9jSguDXAhXrxYMKHUD7BWMQ6AEITDAM#v=onepage&q=aztec rattlesnake penis&f=false

I've permanently sullied my autofill and pride googling that tho

It's already overdone, you need to take shit away. The key to creepiness is subtlety.

Welp

This is probably your best bet. Make the creature fuck with them instead.
>It sets traps for them
>It deliberately makes noise to make them wander off from the main road or clearings
>They wake up to find their supplies missing or a torn up animal lying around in their camp

Danger and the Unexpected are the two key components of Horror.
Don't give the players catharsis or climax.
Build a kind of reliable lexicon of warning signs that the players can utilize to protect themselves and then undermine it near the end.

fuken bookmarked
>rattlesnek dick
>skeltal
>female demon
the Aztecs are 100% /d/ holy shit

>super-wendigo
>a created when a wendigo cannibalizes another wendigo
>known for licking those they hunt when they sleep, with their prey waking up with damp ears, fingers, faces, or other spots a friendly dog would lick
>can freak the fuck out of players that wake to see it licking their friends
>its tongue resembles a rotting, multi jointed finger with an insectoid head
>the creature is actually a person being controlled by a parasitic tongue
>the saliva from the tongue are hundreds of funny eggs
>bloatflylarva.jpg

Remember, the less you see of something, but the stronger its presence is throughout the story, the scarier it becomes.
Like the other user said, subtlety is the key to horror

Simple is better than complex mate. If it does a new thing every time they meet it it becomes more interesting than scary.

Making your players react is similar for whatever you're trying to evoke. Anyone who feels more directly connected is going to react more according to the mood. I try to make my descriptions immersive, but not too overwrought- minor, specific details, little things that would stand out to you if you were there yourself. Scary monsters lose their effect with familiarity, and we have so much media to become familiar with horror concept, but in all honesty, if something we find campy were real- like if an actual goddamn giant spider was, for real, near you, you'd shit.

There's plenty more behind horror, but that's my takeaway when I run games. My players seem to react favorably.

I don't know, that would make it a bit less creepy I think.

Give it a lair for the party to find before they ever see the thing. Suspense always beats a jump scare.

And then someone drew a cute anime girl version of them, because why the fuck not.

I'm from Portland and we would just put a crow on it

i once watched the thing and played the flood portions of halo before planning a session. the astetics were nightmareishly asymetrical and seemingly without order or meaning. but what realy got the players pissing thmeselves was me descriptions of how they fought. they never flinched or showed any sighs of pain. one player backstabbed one only to have it spin towards him, cutting deeper as it lunged to envelope his head with lamprey like mouths on the end s of its "arms" limbs came off durring the course of battle, just astetic reps of losing hp but it never impared combat ability. the lamprey armed thing got those havked of so it just rared back and burst its own chest open to gnash and gnaw with broken ribs like teeth. rich and vivid descriptions of how they go about attacking can be very effective as well.

By making it smile.

>No rattlesnake-dick trap
I'm not disappointed, I just feel let down.

Comes back when killed. Wants something horrible for it to disappear. Eats children while following you so you have to give in or let innocent kids die.