D&D 4e and 4e-like General /4eg/

This thread is for discussing D&D 4e and the games it inspired, such as 13th Age, Strike!, Valor, and any others that I don't know about.

Tieflings! Do you like 4e's tiefling fluff? Do you like how tieflings are one of 4e's pet races with loads of overpowered feats?

4e Repository: rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 4th Edition/
Nentir Vale locations: web.archive.org/web/20130520012550/http://community.wizards.com/nentir_vale/wiki/Nentir_Vale_Locations
Points of Light timeline (ignore everything else on this mostly-fanon wiki): nentirvale.wikidot.com/world
D&D 4e Compendium (for those who still have Insider subscriptions): wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/database.aspx
Compendium: funin.space
Guide compilation: enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?472893-4E-Character-Optimization-WOTC-rescue-Handbook-Guide
Offline compendium: mediafire.com/download/xuf1a608bv05563/Portable Compendium New.rar

Offline character builder: mega.nz/#!IclTgDrS!ZvoRfm1yIjWTrcQHgNDLIPocd6cEO1a8B5oHjs4FV3E
Offline monster editor mega.nz/#!5dUG3Axa!u0NSNPy2q4V-WzJg4Jy4BTM2ln-ygbpVswuJyJzjD_4 (install in chronological order)
this pasta pastebin.com/asUdfELd

Last thread: Feel free to suggest things to add to the pasta!

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/dMe9C2
pastebin.com/690WwtPD
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I want a tiefling girlfriend

Awesome, I guess I'll write this shit up in English then.

I'll probably break from canon some (likely a lot), but as long as that doesn't bother you, you are welcome. You could help me out with some stuff probably.

Good news, we are using 2d6 with modifiers instead!

The current plan for out of combat is as follows:
- We are using 4e stats and skills (possibly slightly modified)
- you select two stats that are at +1 and one that is at -1
- you select 4 skills that are trained (+1)
- when you roll a skill check, you just roll relevant stat+relevant skill (2d6 result table will be adjusted accordingly)

All characters will have access to building blocks that include:
- Passive abilities like resistances, that could represent special equipment, buff spells, or racial stuff.
- Cantrips, that give at-will tools to the character. You get one for free, that doubles as your trapping for your powers (i.e. if you have "control fire" as your cantrip, the trapping of your powers would be "fire", "Light" would be "Radiant" etc.).
- Rituals (including martial practices), that need to be used during a rest and often cost resources
- Skill focus, that elevates one of your trained skills from +1 to +2
- Connections that can be called upon, but are tied to specific regions
- Other non-combat stuff that I didn't think of yet

Magic items would give a mix of the above and combat powers, and would tie into your damage increases (which is usually part of your normal advancement).

You can earn these through gameplay. I'm torn if any should be guaranteed on leveling, or au contraire, your leveling should be tied to earning new tricks.

13th age occultist who just took the ritual feat. Just pulled my first ritual and rewrote time to save about eighteen sailor's lives from a Circle Of Death. DM just set a precedent that I both can alter the past with my rituals and that all other creatures are not aware of the timeline changes as long as the ritual spell pertains to a specific things.

Anyone want to help me look over the occultist list to see what other shenanigans I could pull with this? I need to build an army.

Same. But I wish I was a cute tiefling girl too.

Discord server when?

Now!

discord.gg/dMe9C2

I prefer Stances on a new "4.5" fighter as a way to break the AEDU.

To be fair, stances are basically equivalent to putting "counts as a MBA" on at-wills (aside from also clashing with already exitsing stances I guess).

The idea wasn't to have stances fuck with the AEDU, at least in this case, and more to use them to give Fighters more options in combat. In addition to a default defender stance, they'd also have options.

Our vague ideas are two different Striker aligned stances, for two weapons or two handed weapons, a control-ish stance for reach weapons and a slightly leadery stance for people who want to focus on sword and board, granting defensive bonuses to adjacent allies as you go all in on formation fighting, etc.

In case you haven't checked the MArtial Artist from Strike!, I think you should give it a look.

Fighters have also generally looked towards optimizing MBAs thanks to OAs and their punishment all relying on MBAs, from something like Shield Push+Battering Shield+Polearm Momentum which is some really basic control to opening up whole metaphorical Pandora Boxes in search for a great punishment - I've seen Hybrid Avenger and - I shit you not - PMC Ranger. It's a mess. PMC Ranger was kind of interesting, though. Punish can get really deadly soon when you're attacking twice.

pastebin.com/690WwtPD

I've been working on a fan edit of the rules to systematize a response to common critiques and recommendations. It starts with throwing out ability scores. HP vs. damage is tuned to make combat last about 2~3 rounds by default, so damage is closer to CharOp standards without requiring a separate character building game. The bonuses from "tax" feats introduced by Essentials are removed. The various bonuses are replaced with a simple and clear set of defense scores, while the attack bonus is simply adding your character level. Magic items are optional, and they don't grant bonuses to defense scores, attack or damage rolls, or skill checks.

Layered on top of the fundamental changes are edited versions of the character classes and their powers. I've been using the CharOp guides from the old WotC boards to advise my editing process, while at the same time I've been calculating average damage values to help ensure that I'm maintaining a stricter balance between damage expressions and control effects. I've also been paying attention to maintaining parity of effectiveness within a level.

What about Mark of Storm?

Waiting on Victorian Fire Emblem game to launch its roll20 page.

Yeah, that one's nasty as well.
Thanks to a bunch of stuff out of my power I have to delay it a bit (about a week or so), it's mostly family-related stuff so I can't ignore that.

But yeah, the world is roughly our world before the Scramble for Africa begins but after the Russo-Turkish War, set in Europe, the Near East, and Northern Africa. Do with that what you will. I'll flesh out the world more according to you lot's backstory in the meantime, so even a simple one will help.

How will elves fit into a historical setting, or are you going to use those events as references for a fantasy world?

My advice: don't expect players to know history very well, if at all. Most of your players will have no idea what you just said. It would be best to just be inspired by history rather than telling players about the Russo Turkish War and then describing a vast swath of territory. Reframe it in your fantasy setting, rather than relying on players to be avid history buffs.

>Tieflings! Do you like 4e's tiefling fluff? Do you like how tieflings are one of 4e's pet races with loads of overpowered feats?
I'm not keen on their fluff so I usually change it up depending on what setting I'm running (usually homebrew). As for the feats I rather like them.

i wanna fuck that devil

This, please. I don't know anything about history, but I do like 4e. I don't want to feel left out because we're in some historical period and I'm not getting all the nods and references.

I've always wanted to Hybrid Fighter|Ranger, but I feel there are a lot of difficulties with it. What's your take?

... like what? It's pretty straightforward, you grab tempest style with a hybrid talent, and load up on two weapon stuff. You lose basically nothing important from the Ranger side and get a lot of fighter goodies. Occasionally, land a mark when you can through minor action powers or some other alternate marking method.

Grab Vigilante or Sentinel Marshal so you can mark while using your Ranger Attacks. Get Tempest Technique to increase your damage potential, since you'll be locked into chain or light armor anyway. Focus on light blades and eventually go into Shock Trooper. IMO, it's pretty good, but you definitely need the generic mark ability from one of those themes.

I've never played a tabletop RPG outside of a couple DMPC powerwank WoD one-shots before, but 4e looks really fun. I don't have a group nearby, and the LGSes don't have anything to do with 4e.

well there's two games brewing in /4eg/ now, if you want to join

What do you wear when it's cold, rains, and there's mud everywhere?

Fuck 4e. It's a dumbass resource management game where you can only do your cool powahs once a day because.... because.... because...well, no one ever really answered that.
It's not even a good wargame, it's just swatting each other with overblown powers that weight down the game with floating situational modifiers and ongoing damage, and none of it matters because everything has 200 hp and takes god-damn-for-fucking-ever to die. Skill challenge system is shit, the powers are 90% samey and boring and could easily be restructured as 3 or 4 combat maneuvers per character. Spells are neutered, wizards are balanced only because they can do hardly fuck-all and have barely any utility, the entire game is a powerwank from level 1 where you start out with 20 to 30 times as many hit points as the average goblin.

Just because it accomplished its design goals, or is balanced, doesnt make it a good game, because its goals are trash and fucking rock paper scissors is "balanced."

>inb4 loads of bait images
>inb4 loads of "buttmad caster detected" replied
>inb4 loads of posts calling me a 3avoo because I don't even like 3.5.

And this is the kind of human trash that plays 4e. Literal trained and soyboy faggots. Disgusting. You should all kill yourselves.

I just saw this like, two days ago. Get a new pasta, variety is the spice of life.

Hey man, it just does it for me.

Halp pls, I just downloaded the offline character builder and it's been going well but then the update file "10 cb_feb_2010.exe" is giving me the 7zip internal error 105

wat do?

References for a fantasy-ish world mostly alike our own but with all the whole magitek thing of Eberron going. Gonna build with what you give me, they might be Scandinavians or French or Russians or whatever.
Right, it's not gonna follow a lot of nods and references (especially given that it's not quite like what is reality). I'll just listen the regions:
>Western Europe: Great Britain is still the strongest power, but it's mostly isolated. Does not want the world to unbalance itself. France just got its ass kicked by Germany, wants revenge with a passion. Netherlands are pissed they fell off importance, Belgium is mostly safe and industrialized. Spain is going a civil war and Portugal's trying to colonize Africa.
>Central Europe: Germany just formed and it's probably the first country to threaten the hegemony of Britain in a while. Austria folded for the Hungarians, forming Austria-Hungary, but although economically stuff is going fine, the Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Croats and Romanians across the country are going through a national awakening and desperately desiring self-determination. Italy's formed, but while Northern and Central Italy is doing great, Southern Italy is not too keen on the whole thing, because the crown is still from a northern country.
>Balkans: Serbia, Romania, Montenegro, Bulgaria and Greece have come out stronger of the last war, and Bosnia was granted to Austria-Hungary. But nevertheless, they're still very rural nations; they want parts of the Ottomans and the Austrians, the former very weak now but with support from most major powers, and the latter very strong and threatening action
>Eastern Europe: Russia got a metaphorical kick in the dick with the last peace treaty, but they now have Armenia and influence in the Balkans. Very backwards country, but things have been getting better.
>Asia: Ottomans have fallen from any grace at all and everyone wants a piece of them. Jews start wanting Palestine.

I still feel like 4e is a very new game, has anyone else got that feeling? being stucked in late 2000s?

Not that I'm much of a grognard, I started roleplaying with 3.5 in 2003

>Northern Europe: Scandinavia has mostly accepted they're irrelevant, but Finland wants independence from Russia (not necessarily total independence) and the Baltics are also wanting freedom, but Russia can and will curbstomp any attempts at that.
Given the plot relies on the "the not!Pope died in not!Europe and his body reveals weird markings detailing locations, and some really charming noble wants to figure out whatever it is so he hires the PCs for it, go from there", it's not exactly deep as fuck right now, especially given I need PC influence to direct where more or less where you lot will be going.

Huh thats always a setting i wanted to run.
Historical fantasy, especialy in that setting.

Personally id advise to go the Ivalice route: Nation trumps race.

As in, theres a french dwarf and theres a german dwarf.
Both are dwarves but they are still french and german.
Theres not "the dwarf nation", there are dwarves in many nations.

of course some races would only exist in some countries.
For example typically "evil" races would only make sense in countries that historically had populations that were out of the norm for europe like Tzarist Russia or Austria-Hungary.

It really sounds like spain is ripe for tension with that civil war, might be a good place to set as the stage. France as well.

>finns and hungarians and estonians are half-orcs
I don't know why but that's making me grin like a retard. I'd go for ethnicity as race, so for example Northern Germans might be Elves, Southern Germans Eladrin and the Swiss are Gnomes.

Not sure, sorry. Unfortunately cbloader has issues.

i personally prefer having nationalities presented with more than just one race mostly cause i dont like monoculture races.

Either way speaking of Swizerland i would imagine them to have the absolute Monopoly on Warforged.

as such all Warforged are swiss.

>Hungarians
Theyd be Hobgoblins if anyhting, or maybe thats the prussians.
Austrian dragoons definitly need to be Dragonborn taking the title literaly.

There definitly should be russian shifters, maybe have Baltics as the Longtooth shifters and Russians as Razorclaw shifters.

I think "humans" should just be a thing in all nations, i dont like the idea of having one real life nation be humans but another not, that just sounds weird. Liek the french are human but the brits are not, how does that work.

Can't we find the same kind of people in /pfg/ as well? Granted I don't like this thread's title nor the last 1. But apparently I'm the fucking madman who doesn't give a shit about waifu trash and whatnot.

Hey, last one had no waifus.

I just messed up the title, which I shall eternally be sorry for (also for not making the new thread).

So what exactly are you doing with this campaign? im very interrested, got any details how you wanna go about doing this? how many players do you want?

Perhaps. Between stuff going on IRL and issues with wifi, I might not be able to participate regularly enough, though.

It's Veeky Forums. At least half of your general threats will feature waifus in some form. It's just something you accept.

>threats
Threads, although threats is also appropriate.

Just checked the archive, yah you're right. I think I wasn't paying enough attention during that thread and totally forgot about it.

I dunno man, been lurking /4eg/ for like 3 threads, started with the dwarf one. And while I like to think people are better about not sticking their waifu trash into tabletop, I've skimmed the catalog and read enough That Guy stuff to know better. But it is something I refuse to accept.

More games, start more games! It doesn't matter if they're waifu or anime trash, we need to keep our energy up! It's been years!

Right, details:
I'm shooting for somewhere between 3-6 players. It'll be long sessions and I have a really flexible timeframe so it works for both Americans and Europeans to join in, no worries there. The details of the world will be fleshed out further as I get the backstories. Don't exactly expect direct tie ins, but what you all put in will influence how the campaign unfolds. The idea is very basic - there are several powerful people interested in taking finding out just what the fuck is that borderline heavenly thing, and they're after that. One person - which you all have some trust, to some extent - has gathered you there and paid you to go after it for him. Who will go after that and how will be decided by the world and the character's backstories.

I think it does matter because some people clearly have a preference for 1 and a disdain for the other.

Hunfag here, we have nothing to do with the Finns (it was a link made up by some austrian linguist dude).

would be kinda funny if they were hobgoblins being told they are bug bears or something.

I disagree. If games are running that people don't like, they're more motivated to make their own to show them how it's done than if there was nothing at all.

I wanna nibble her toes...

This, it establishes a culture of games, especially if people are talking about their sessions. In /pfg/ and the /5eg/ there are a lot of games I think are shit, but eventually one rolls around that I like.

I'm not motivated to make a game, I'm currently running a game every week that's been ongoing since April and about to take part in another one. in fact we're about to binge play this week and play twice because a couple of the guys managed to get the weekend off. Also I generally don't like investing in prep time only for it not to turn out well, not to say anything mean about you guys but I don't know what to expect so I'd prefer to sit back and see what happens then make decisions based on that.

I think I tried to talk about my sessions a while ago, no one seemed to care and the 1 person who bothered to say something just told me to stop. Well I hope maybe a 4E game who's premise I like will come around, so far it's just been that 1 guy who's doing some Eberron thing but with a lot of homebrew stuff when it comes to dice and I think that's it.

alright so you want people to post their ideas int he thread or how is this gonna work? never joined a Veeky Forums campaign ig otta admit.

Im an IRL forever DM so i wouldnt mind beeing a player for once, especialy in this setting.

well genetically you certainly arent related, youre pretty close to us. Linguistically you are in the same language group but that doesnt mean your languages are close, it just means youre even further away from everything else.

Afaik there is slightly simmilar grammar between finns and magyars or something,

>look at me, trying out these fresh new buzzwords I found on /pol/
>am I cool yet?

Y'know what, I should start a Discord or something for this one, then players who want to get started can PM me or something.

sounds good.
anything you can tell us yet? i mean especialy with european players youd probably end up with a group of different nationalities since most people would most likley play something they know the history of to contribute to the game, so how would you want to set up the character bios that they could end up beeing employed by the same person?

Doesn't Wizard's "Controller Distraction" sort of make them more of a target for the people it attacks? It's basically a Defender feature.
I don't think a Wizard really needs to give the enemy more reason to attack it, but I haven't read too much to see what you've changed elsewhere. This just stood out to me as odd.

Well, I'm going to make a few suggestions if I ever happen to stumble on such a situation but I think it's unlikely it will happen - not impossible but unlikely. Especially given I generally flesh out the details based on what the players give me rather than the opposite.

We're doing this in Burgertime, dude, since burgers are the most populous posters.

well i got no problem with a game that takes till 3AM, tho one that starts at 3AM would be an issue

I don't mind other guys trying to shoehorn their waifus into my games, so long as they don't demand special treatment. Waifus will suffer and perish like any other character.

As long as you aint an aussie, you can participate in most games

Getting caught up in "waifus" is how you lose potentially good players who know the game and show up on time. In my experience, most people who make cute girl apps are good guys. Sometimes their insistence on cute is a bit odd, but that's at worst a minor inconvenience compared to players who are constantly tardy, forget rules, cheat or excessively powergame, or have some other, harder to spot fetish that worms its way into your game until it's very difficult to remove.

I'm between Burgers and Yuros, it's mostly gonna be alright. Aussies basically end up with no matching time for me, but I've played with one dude from Northern Finland and another from the Northwest Pacific and it went alright because I had a time that wasn't absolutely bullshit for either, though one was early in the morning and the other late at night.

>In my experience, most people who make cute girl apps are good guys.
[citation needed]

Is it just me or is Strike kind of shit? I've been trying to figure out how to design a decent encounter for a short campaign I planned on running and it was just incredible how awkwardly its encounter design standards were explained. Most of their premade monsters don't even follow the standards they describe!

I mean it's anecdotal, but my worst players were never waifu players. They always had traditional seeming apps.

Are you that guy who sucks off 2hu?

This. Especially given where we are, if you turn away a guy just because he's playing a teenage girl or he has an anime portrait, you could be turning away a decent player. Frankly, the majority of my apps either have anime inspired art or are a cute girl. If I threw all those out, I'd have missed out on some people I still play with today.

I actually couldn't stand to play with Adslahnit back in the day, despite trying on several occasions, because he couldn't keep his hands off my sheet. Sometimes you do things less optimally, it's okay.

I agree that it's not obvious why I would change this, and the reasoning behind it is a little complicated. I'll include the argument for it in the design intent file.

This is literally how /pfg/ got its games running. why argue with a winning formula

No I don't. Tieflings where a shit creature from AD&D's Planescape, showing up as a +1 level shitty race in 3.5, and for some fucked up reason ,a core race on 4th-5th edition because "my animu".
I don't like tiefling, and I don't like you for making me talk about tieflings.

You realise half demons feature prominently throughout mythology, right? Fuck, Merlin was the son of an Incubus, and the Giants of Albion were a race descended from demonic blood. Trying to take the same concepts and give them a place in D&D makes perfect sense to me, even if you could somewhat criticise the implementation.

That's because there's been very little forward movement in regards to TTRPG design overall

The fucking Tiefling went from human with horns to a monstrous looking thing. If you're making players to look like monsters (like the dragonborn) then you should add more monsters, the game already has dozens of humanoids on the Monster Manual that are not implemented as race for no reason at all besides lazyness (gnoll is a screaming example).
It's a planar creature, and it is suppose to be on the planes. If you allow the tieflings in the material, the Gith as a playable race would had made more sense, as they travel planes on a whin, not the tieflings.
And since you are pandering to mythology, the Aasimar comes side by side with the tieflings, but they were poorly implemented as an example of new race on the dungeon master's guide, and then showed up in the Volo's, because forgotten realms now is the new shit. Again.
In other words. No, no and no. Fuck the tieflings. They are not core. They should showed on the planar book of the setting (if they ever make one, since the dungeon master guide took care of that) a long the aasimar and all the other funny things (like the genasi, who showed up on the elemental evil, because "elemental").
This edition is lazy, very lazy, and it panders to the worst.

I think they're in because people like them, bro.

Yes, people like the ranger since AD&D, despite the fact that nobody playes with one, and when they do, they change characters mid-game.
Like I said. lazy, lazy, lazy.

I took a ranger to level 30 my dude

>tfw no tiefling gf

Why even live bro's?

It's now a human with horns, a tail and solid-color eyes. It has changed from a planar race to "descendents of nobility who made deals with the devil", which I prefer. It's as much of a monster as a gnome.

Gnomes are awful and they should get removed because they were never good.
Next edtion, thri-keen is gonna be core. You heard first here, folks.

Why would that be a bad thing?

Good. Kreen are best race.

Hmm, an edition where the default system is Dark Sun

Interesting proposition

what kind of faggot doesn't like cute demon girls?

Any kind since faggots are gay.

It reinvented tieflings from a bland generic half-breed reserved for edgelords and special snowflakes to a cool race with deep and diverse backstory.

That's the opposite of lazy.

And then it went and improved drow, hobgoblins(though that happened mostly in 3.5) as well.

Taking a concept everybody likes and making it actually playable is a commendable thing.

Is a waifu game one where the characters are waifus, or one where they acquire waifus? How do the adventures of cute girls differ from regular ones.

Asking for a friend.

What are some cool Fey enemies for a slightly Irish mythology feel.

I already have Fomorians as the main bads (mostly a mythical distant threat for now) with spriggans, cyclops and corrupted dryads as the minions players occasionally encounter.

The premade monsters (if you mean the ones that aren't the generic ones) are "put your design into the game!" kickstarter backer rewards, so yeah, they are kinda shit. As long as you keep the "equal level, equal number (modified by mook/sttog/elite/solo)" paradigms, it'll work out fine, in my experience.

I'd like that, would mean that survival mechanics and other adventuring stuff would get more focus.

What's it like hating everything?

Redcaps?

Are those Irish?

Scottish/Northern English. Still very Celtic.

Then fuck off, faggot.