Your fucking opinions

Alright guys, post your hardest, most unpopular and least nuanced Veeky Forums-related opinions here. Whatever you think every fa/tg/uy should agree with you on.
Don't worry about this thread devolving into a shitstorm, that's what this thread is for. It's in the interest of keeping other threads civil. We get it out of our systems now, and then go back to our happy posting.

I'll start.
>Improvising and low-prep games are the way to actually engage players in "role-playing". If you want to railroad your players through your heavily prepared world with your 72 gods and 29 kingdoms they'll never experience, you should just write a book.

You can both try your hardest to win and still be a nice decent chap while doing it. Stop trying to shit on people for trying hard, it just makes you look like a bitter child who can't handle losing. And if you're going to try hard, don't be a cunt while you do it.

4th Edition is vastly superior to any other edition of D&D.

>Improvising and low-prep games are the way to actually engage players in "role-playing"
Eat shit. I also used to think this, before I realized that my laziness and refusal to prepare for sessions is the reason my dungeons suck.
And when the game is all about dungeoncrawling, it means the game sucks too.

Like, do you even do maps

There are objective measures of game mechanics, and some games are just bad. Often how you assess them relies upon the context of the game, but within the context of a game and what it's trying to achieve, it's entirely legitimate to point out mechanics that do not function as intended and are not fit for purpose, and declare those to be objective flaws of the game.

That you're bad at improvising doesn't mean improvisation is bad.

Drizzt is a half-decent character

I do maps on the spot. Got all the right tools and skills for it. I've seen GM's prepare super fancy maps of dungeons and then desperately try to get us into those dungeons, without regards of character motivation.
Improvising isn't lazy, it's downright exhausting and it takes skill and balls.

Low-prep games still involve a lot of work, just not endless volumes of self-made campaign sourcebooks.

In fact, settings in general are a cancer. The world is best playing fast and loose with locations and existing institutions, and have a common vernachular instead.

>I feel like there's no merit in planning out a campaign except in getting high off your own farts
>Rangers are underrated
>Animal Companions are severely underappreciated
>Quests weren't really that bad to need a ban

Good Players make bad DMs and good DMs make bad Players. Two different skill sets and two different mentalities.

I think it's that RPG settings require different things to settings for other reasons.

An RPG setting requires enough content to define the tone, themes and nature of the world. A few interesting locations, organisations, myths and so on.

However, the most important aspect of an RPG setting is grey area. Undefined space that a GM can fill with their own ideas, based on the themes of the setting laid down in the established content.

As part of this, questions are more important than answers. No RPG designer should ever answer that big, interesting question people got curious about. Never. Because the question, and the theories people come up with, is infinitely more valuable as part of an RPG than any specific answer you could provide. With a strong enough foundation to define the setting, those big, interesting questions are fantastic, and answers just spoil it.

>Quests weren't really that bad to need a ban
Amen. Although qst is turning into pretty good board.

Warhammer fantasy deserved to die.

>>Quests weren't really that bad to need a ban

Fucking generals have consumed all but the last of the front page. Quests were no better, they were also worse. That's all I have to say, i'll not continue into shitslinging, that's not what this thread is for.

Spending actual money on Magic the Gathering cards is retarded and if you do so, you don't know the value of money and you don't think about your own future. I feel the same way about going to a LGS and paying to play it, even after you've paid to own the cards, that depending on your format will actually lose 90% of value. It reminds me of paying to play online video games like PSN for Playstation. I don't know why you all just don't sell your cards, print off anime kawaii proxies and play with your mates at the kitchen table.

I think JJ Trek is perfectly fine, and quite entertaining.

I think the FFG Star Wars games are a load of shit and their idiot fans are the most brain-dead losers on Veeky Forums

Where do I even begin?

>Silly and wacky games are the reality TV of Tabletop games; they are shit and people who like them are the shit-ring on my toilet.
>Fudging is the absolute lowest thing a GM can do. Deprive failure from the players and there is no game, just the shitty railroad that treats me like an autistic child.
>Low prep means that the game is incredibly uncreative, all places are so bog-standard you might as well call them Village #1, Tavern #5 and City #17 and the GM couldn't make meaningful conflict even if he tried.
>If your character acts like an idiot, he should have bad shit happen to them and no safety net for them to avoid it.

But my worst opinion by far is
>Chronicles of Darkness and its supplements are a vastly inferior version of everything new World of Darkness did

Roleplay > Rollplay
Always

As an addedum, fuck DMs that dont give improv NPCs on the spot if a player engages with one.
Neck yourself if you then complain that players “dont engage the world” when everyone they ever talked to was just narrative text.

Holy shit Im actually mad about it in my games right now because I LOVE my other players but the dms are giving us fuck-all to work with. Literally say ANY-FUCKING-THING and we can take the rest from there. Maybe we dont give a shit about the plot hook because quest NPC is some nameless asshole asking us to nearly kill ourselves just because it says “Good” on our alignments. Why would anyone want to save a world that literally sees us as just tools?

>and then I decided to switch my alignment to evil
Will put a story thread in about a month Actually Im just gonna leave like a sane person but keep the players in contacts

THANK YOU OP, for this vent

Focus on dice rolling is cancerous. I'm not just talking about le epic natural 20 roll. I'm talking about all this focus that you should never fudge a die roll, because doing so prevents player agency. NEWSFLASH; the players only have as much agency as the GM allows. The GM sets both what roll constitutes a success, and what success and failure actually mean. They often have the power to do this arbitrarily. I don't need to fudge the dice, I just need to exercise my will as to the setup, outcome, or difficulty.

If you want to play an RPG as a game, you should be focused on the decisions the PCs are making, not ROLL GUD U WIN! ROLL BAD, U LOSE! But of course if you do that, you're a heartless monster railroading your players into playing the game YOU want them to play; because after all, having a distinction between decisions means that you're straitjacketing them.

A "proper" game focused RPG should have a not 1:1 correlation, but a pretty close one of good decisions leading to good outcomes, and bad decisions leading to bad outcomes, and force your PCs to play a fucking game, instead of craps.

Dungeon Meshi is shit, K6BD is shit, neither should be posted here. Less because Veeky Forums relevance and more because they're shit.

Sigmar is one of the worst things to have happened to table top gaming in a long time

The inclusion of women into table tops is a bad idea as the majoirty of them don't actually give a crap about it.

Political correctness has no place on the table top, if your offended by slutty looking armies, that's your problem, no one want to play as an over weight dyke

Female space marines are fucking stupid

8th es 40k has some serious problems

Local shops should incurage more paint nights at hobby shops not just gaming

Random mechanics to not equate to good mechanics

Airbrushing is not cheating

Fluffy armies and battles are vastly superior to competitive armies.

More people should be into making terrain.

>Dungeon Meshi is shit
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

>K6BD is shit
Objectively true.

I actually like how kastelan robots look.

You're welcome.

You reminded me of something.

Miniatures gaming doesn't have to be shit, but in practice it always is. Hex and chit, or card based, is the vastly superior way to wargame.

>Silly and wacky games are the reality TV of Tabletop games; they are shit and people who like them are the shit-ring on my toilet.
Wrong, standard fantasy campaigns, with human/elf/dwarf-fighter/rogue/ranger/wizard-shit, fighting an uninspired lich or some lame shit, those are the reality TV of tabletop games. They are literally the easiest, most uninspired, cookie cutter shit a GM can pull off.

>Do you have a single fact to back that up?

The fact that it's shit.

3.5/pathfinder is the best rpg ever made.

No rpg can compete with it to the point when the dev change to 4e the biggest shitstorm in TT happen. 3.5 with all its broken shit is till much more fun and works better for all types of fantasy games.

Gurps and other games might do a few things better but the majority of them have falws of there own just as bad if not worse or are geared for one type of role play only.

Low-prep does not mean no prep

prepare maps and dungeons, but without themes

As they travel through areas the grey become coloured, mostly by you, but also with their input

the blank dungeons you prepped can be adjusted for the local flavour

Opinions without facts to back them up aren't opinions, they're just noise.
You probably just dislike because you're an anti-weeb fag.

>GURPS
>flaws as bad as 3.5/Pathfinder
lol, name one

Boy, you do not understand how this thread works.

>Fudging dice for 'muh' story is cancer. Go play a choose your own adventure story if you're into that shit
>Quantum Ogres are equally cancer, if you want to railroad your players into your precious perfect story/encounter just go away and write a novel
>RPGs are not about telling a story in the sense the GM writes the story and the players follow it. They're about creating an environment where an emergent story can develop from the players and NPC's actions.
>D&D, including 3.5/PF, are perfectly good games especially at traditional RPG , dungeon crawling gameplay. They can't sustain a heavy narrative/plotted game but they're not designed to. See above.
>RPGs don't need to be balanced, they're not competitive games and they already have a DM as an intelligent arbiter should things go awry. Forcing balance in a game just makes it stale and feel like a video game. (Hence 3.5 is a perfectly well balanced game and experience)
>Dungeon World is pretty much garbage. It takes a good game, apocalypse world, and completely misses the point by shoehorning it into a dungeon crawling frame when the system is a narrative, story telling based one.
>RPG's and story games are entirely different genres and should be treated as such. Criticising them as though they're both attempting the same thing is absurd.
>There's no such thing as 'normies' invading the game. There's just new people getting interested in it and you're reacting badly because new=scary bad change. You likely got into the game around 3E and all the AD&D grognards felt exactly the fucking same about you and your 'magic the gathering/diablo' style game.

That's not an unpopular opinion. It's one of the most commonly repeated bits of idiocy in the hobby.

An interesting commonality between these posts is a lack of understanding of the point of fudging, since their attempts at examples just show they miss the point.

This thread is for talking about your opinion. When your opinion is just "I kniw this because I feel it, durrr hburr" it's not a real opinion.

How do you defend fudging then? What purpose does it serve ?

People tend to dislike anyone that threatens their intelligence. Do better or try harder and people can’t handle it, you have to dumb your shit down for anything social

_____________________________________________________________________________________________It's just not fun_____________________________________________________________________________________________

>Classless systems are pure garbage and real teamplay can only come from strongly defined narrow class roles
>Roleplaying is not a substitute for good combat, 4E is the only good DnD edition as a result

Actually I dislike it because your mom told me it's shit.

>Dungeon World is pretty much garbage.
>It takes a good game, apocalypse world, and completely misses the point by shoehorning it into a dungeon crawling frame when the system is a narrative, story telling based one.
Yes to statement 2, no to statement 1. It does miss the point of the PbtA system and it does just try to mash it together with D&D themes. But saying it's 'garbage' is just repeated nonsense. It's a flawed, but fun and accessible game that allows for a lot of freedom for both starting players and starting Gm's while they find their play-style. It does sustain long campaigns, it does support interesting story, it does allow you get a fun fantasy dungeon feeling.
This meme that DW is the worst game ever is just plain stupid.

Honestly mate, probably for the best if you neck yourself.

Do you have a single fact to back up that opinion?

You just have to not be autistic

>Are you playing in a tournament/in a competitive meta/against a competitive opponent you know?

Bring your A game.

>Are you playing in a casual flgs, with a new/narrative/ fluffy/ casual player or in a fluffy/narrative/casual metagame?

Tone your shit down.

>Are you unsure what the answer is to the above?

Talk to your fucking opponent.

The problem occurs when these two things clash and nobody fucking communicates. Neither is superior to the other they're just different.

It's not a matter of defending it. It's just saying that the dice exist to serve the experience of the game, not the other way around.

The GM ignoring dice results freely to force the story down a certain path is shitty, but it's shitty because it's railroading, not because they fudge the dice.

Having to fudge is generally a sign of a mistake on the GM's part, since if you want something to always succeed or always fail, you shouldn't call for a diceroll at all.

There are times it's valid though. Sometimes players find it less satisfying to just be allowed to succeed. Rolling a dice behind the screen makes them feel opposed and that there is risk present, even if you're going to let them pass.

It's also useful in combat. No matter how you balance an encounter, sometimes it's easier or harder than you intended. Fudging the dice is a useful tool to ensure the players are appropriately challenged.

Even by your own post, balance is still a good thing. Even if it's not necessary, a system being balanced makes the GM's job easier, and supporting the GM in running the game is a key component of RPG systems.

I like this user

It's not an opinion it's a fact.

So be competitive in a competition and casual in a casual game? I think you just fixed RPGs.

Anime's influance has been the biggest cancer to TT. Anime and TT should never mix.

My players are fighting a street thug who tried to rob them. The point is that they beat him, interrogate him and get useful information. However, due to players being players, only two of the 4 party members are fighting him. The other two are on their way. However, on the first roll, the thug gets 2 exploding damage dice, and will reduce the player to the point they cannot participate for the rest of the session due to time pressure of the mission due to injury, and healing is not within easy reach, because the next fight is meant to be a slow bleed of them not a single huge fight. Therefore, I say he rolled enough to impose a penalty through injury, but not enough to move the player to having a +20 penalty to all their TNs.

It seems obvious and yet people fuck it up repeatedly over and over again.

Dark Sun is the best setting ever made, but it is stapled to the worst edition of the worst game ever made so much so that when it was adapted the best edition of the worst game, it suffered weird tonal issues.

Playing accomplished adventurers is a waste when we could be playing younger upstarts and street kids with a dream.

FoW is pedophelia.

I know what you mean though. I had two players that kept setting up camp in the woods so they could pickpocket the SAME bag of gold from each other back and forth. They spent the whole session sleeping in the woods and waking up long enough to set up camp again so the currently robbed PC could have a chance to get the gold back. It was the dumbest pvp shit I’ve ever experienced.

Zweihander is shit and the developer is the worst piece of dog shit in the industry. Worse than Uncle Kev even.

The only redeemable thing about WoD is the setting, the mechanics and the balance of abilities and between splats is horrible

If you want to play by the rules you have to remake the rules in that game

Also a lot of the premade adventures in that game are pretty bad because they dont have maps or feature way too much monologues

To which I say what's the fucking point of having a mechanic like exploding dice that is meant to simulate moments like that if you're just going to ignore it whenever it doesn't suit you.

Just remove the mechanic and be honest about it rather than lie to your players.

D&D needs more furry races

But I love Studio Fow.

Heh.

Wait if I remember correctly I'm still not wrong in that regard.

Because at times, it's a fun and interesting part of the game. At others, it'd just be negative and detract from that experience. Knowing your groups tastes and exercising discretion in when and how you fudge is an important part of being a GM. It's not a lie, because nothing in the system ever says that the GM is bound by the dice. Every system which cares to comment on it states the opposite.

Text for in-character speech/action and VOIP for shitposting/asking questions is probably the best way to immerse yourself in a setting but also be free to communicate when needed.

I hate people that plays rpg as mmo

I don't get snowflakes. I think it can be fun when a player comes to my table as a half-dragon half-fiend half-vampire multiclassed across four variant core classes and eight homebrew classes; Schlee also rolls 2d6 each for alignment, gender, sexuality, politics, and favorite color daily at dawn. A neutral human fighter is awesome too. So long as the player is cooperative, I can work with anything.

People keep telling me to play something other than D&D but every game I've played that was recommended to me was either terrible, boring, shallow or all three and were all worse than D&D.

Who does that, and what would it look like?

>online
No.

There are two possibilities. You're either being recommended bad games, or you just have terrible taste.

Generals were shit to begin with and I hate them with a passion, but I also don't feel they should be banned, neither should quests have been. what annoys me is forcing stuff away even if it still fits the board. Banning is something I just feel uncomfortable about to begin with unless extremely necessary because I just don't like the feel of a board requiring to much regulation, it just feels like it goes against the whole point of this site.

Man, as someone who has both online and IRL groups, I legitimately think online is better. IRL is fun for getting together with some friends and rolling dice, but when it comes down to actual RP and storytelling, online is vastly superior. Text logs are key to this, since they allow consistent storytelling without excessive bookkeeping or note taking.

People who use MMO terminology like "tanking", "DPS" (or in DPT to be more accurate), and "aggroing".

Sorry you feel that way, I found it refreshing when my online GM got heavier into the narrative and offered more detail.

My problem is that I'm so chummy with my friends that local play is less focused than what I get out of "reading" a game.

Fucking thank you.
GMs can convey their ideas so much more clearly when they're writing in lieu of trying to express something using speech. We're a legion of introverts, so it follows.

it feels like the players are playing oblivion where you dont really roleplay your character just fucking shit up and looking for loot

So I should punish my players for investing in skills because the dice came up weird against them once? Because the dice exploding favours my players more than it favours NPCs. And surely it would be even more unfair to say only PCs get exploding dice, because that would make certain players impossible to hurt.

Tell me, do you have your mobs use battle tactics and flanking, ambush and common poison? Because not using things that are common sense for any bandit is deliberately fixing the game in your players favour. Even moreso than fudging dice. Fudging dice removes consequences that destroy a player for no good reason. Having your monsters act in ways that allow the PCs a huge tactical advantage removes most of the threat thy pose.

Finally, would you seriously tell one of your players that "Im sorry but 10 minutes into the session you got screwed over by really funky dice. You now cannot roll dice for the rest of the session, because most of the rolls you could do are automatic failiures, and every other player can now do your role better than you, thanks to this result"?

No he is right. Most other rpgs are pretty bad.

So it's nothing to do with gameplay style, it's just terminology?

What's wrong with using terminology if it's appropriate and sums up the concepts being discussed?

You're in the same position as him, I'm afraid.

The terminology usually comes with the play style and mentality.

That more sounds like an issue of different gameplay styles. Some people enjoy that, I personally do not. It's always good to talk to the people you're playing with and figure out if there's a potential for compromise, or if you're better served by finding different groups.

Here's a list of all the games that have been recommended to me, either from here or by friends:

The Burning Wheel
The One Ring
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Shadowrun 5e
Iron Kingdoms
Fantasy Craft
Savage Worlds
GURPS
Pathfinder
Deadlands
RIFTS
BESM
Dark Heresy
VtM
VtR
HtR
HtV
Paranoia
And Eclipse Phase

So take your pick.

But that just seems like a boatload of assumptions you're making without any actual basis. Anecdotal evidence isn't something to rely on, user.

Even then, why do you care about their playstyle and mentality? Unless they're in your group, it's nothing to do with you, and if they are then applies.

Yeah, most of those are pretty bad, in one way or another. They can be fun, but they all have flaws. Not as many as 3.PF, for the most part, but some.

There's so much 3pp discussion in the Pathfinder threads that it honestly warrants it's own separate thread. Sometimes you try to talk about a build but everyone's too busy talking about some drama surrounding PoW or SoM or whatever. I mean I'm fine with people using 3pp, but really if you're going to talk about it maybe have a separate thread.

Not the guy you're responding to, but

>Tell me, do you have your mobs use battle tactics and flanking, ambush and common poison?
Holy shit yes. And it pisses me to hell and back when other GM's don't. I also make most enemies who don't have some sort of overriding reason to want the PCs dead in specific run away when the fight starts turning against them, something else I rarely see.

As an aside, the "fleeing weak enemy" right near the start is a great way to identify problem players. People who complain about me stealing their loot and/or XP is a colossal red flag.

I'm really sick of all the male players who default to playing lesbian characters, especially when they go super anime with them.

The ONLY PURE LOVE stuff needs to die and take its shitty character stereotypes with it.

On that note, lewdshit has no place in a game. Please stop making me spend hours watching you and another PC/NPC/Monster molest each other. I give exactly zero shits if you end up textfucking the GM outside of session in PMs, but during a session is not the time for it.

>There are absolutely no absolutes, except when there are.

I also forgot to add 13th Age, Dungeon World, Apocalypse World and Inverse World.

They were all less fun for me to play, especially 13th Age, which I was promised was gonna be better than D&D.

>Sigmar is one of the worst things to have happened to table top gaming in a long time
A gross exaggeration but I don't disagree
>The inclusion of women into table tops is a bad idea as the majoirty of them don't actually give a crap about it.
Depends on the person, most of the shittiest players that didn't actually give a shit were guys. most of the girls I played with were good players, except for literally just one who was only there because her boyfriend wanted to get her into it, and even then she wasn't an ass or anything, just not too into it.
>Political correctness has no place on the table top, if your offended by slutty looking armies, that's your problem, no one want to play as an over weight dyke
Meh, I can agree to that
>Female space marines are fucking stupid
they would literally just look like regular marines unless they were made purposely slutty looking, so I agree
>8th es 40k has some serious problems
no shit
>Local shops should incurage more paint nights at hobby shops not just gaming
I don't see an issue with that, though it depends on the owner I guess
>Random mechanics to not equate to good mechanics
fair
>Airbrushing is not cheating
meh
>Fluffy armies and battles are vastly superior to competitive armies.
You do you friend
>More people should be into making terrain.
terrains are cool

Fucking this. Protip: End your session AFTER your PCs have decided on a course of action. This gives you a week to build a good dungeon without ever having to railroad PCs into it.

>playing with new GM
>he wants to ship my character with his cousin

why.jpg

Because with the MMO crowd you often get people who don't even roleplay. They just make numbers on a sheet that they can masturbate to because of how high the numbers go. I don't like doorkicking and looting style of roleplaying games. Just play a board game.

That tends to be a playstyle thing. Some groups enjoy it, other groups prefer not to do that.

But if they're not in your group, why is it your concern?

Also, in my experience, people from MMO's actually RP a lot. But I only ever played on RP servers, so the people I knew there who I invited to games had that background. Went pretty well, though.

>There's no such thing as 'normies' invading the game. There's just new people getting interested in it and you're reacting badly because new=scary bad change. You likely got into the game around 3E and all the AD&D grognards felt exactly the fucking same about you and your 'magic the gathering/diablo' style game.

This is so accurate.

I mean, I guess it's technically a "playstyle" difference, but the playstyle that gets upset by that sort of thing is one where the entire world exists solely to fellate the PCs and/or their players by how awesome they are and how many things that they can kill and how much loot they can stockpile. Versimilitude, realism, internal consistency, whatever should all be sacrificed on the altar of player fluffing.

It's a pretty shitty playstyle, all told.