Mtg standard

"Energy is lame edition"
>playing
>hating
>brewing
>thread q
How would you shake up standard since it's obvious energy is too good?
Metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kaiju-2-champion-edition/
channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ug-pummeler/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/817618#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone find any misprint flip lands?

build unconventional energy decks

fight fire with fire

>playing
GU Champion of Rhonas and Vizier of the Anointed (TO deck needs updating):
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kaiju-2-champion-edition/

>hating
Energy. Fuck energy.

>brewing
BW vampire burn

I thought about trying to abuse champion, but I had red for cartouche to give him haste, plus cheap removal like magma spray, lightning strike, and chandras defeat

Every single one Ive opened has been a misprint, and out of all the ones Ive checked from my friends collections ive only found one on the correct cardstock out of 15-20.

Im convinced that they are not as rare as people would have you believe.

Thinking about making some BW zombie deck because Time to Reflect looks sorta strong (and could be an answer to scarab god and blue gearhulk shenaningans).
I don't really know if it would be that good though.
I also brewed a gremlin fling deck but it's still a WIP (rotating between 80 cards to find the useful ones and the not-so-great ones)

Why are treasure decks so fun?

I would have to open packs to do that.
Thankfully, yet sadly, I dont

Before the rotation, I'd use haunted cloak to give it haste&trample&vigilance, so you didn't have to worry about exerting (also nice to give to fkn Ulamog, check my TO profile for my old Green/Colorless standard deck)

>deck has an extremely poor matchup against RDW
>have to face the player who stuffs his face with little debbie snacks and a soda between every round at least once per event
>seems incredibly ignorant about the game as a whole
>and just so happens to play RDW
It feels real bad.

I want to build hard-ass blue control and have Sphinx of Magosi as my wincon. Am I crazy?

I use that Sphinx in my GU deck, really useful when I used to mana ramp because you can dump excess into draws as many times as you want (Waker of Wilds is good for this too)

Brewing BW Sunmare.

because you get to say "I'm done" whenever you get bored.

That art got a lot less pretty with her face.

>>playing
u/w GPG
>>hating
Temur Energy
>>brewing
B/W improvise/fabricate
>>thread q
>How would you shake up standard since it's obvious energy is too good?
Ban Attune with Aether. Then longtusk cub for good measure.

>tfw you took a trip to christmasland
>Mardu GPG vs Tokens G3
>hold sweltering suns all game waiting for anointer priest to be embalmed, finally does with anointed processions out
>2 creatures in graveyard, 4 on field
>suns, dead refurbish, and one other dead card in hand
>draw into gates the turn I intend to suns
>play gates, play suns
>loot 4 times, including 2 angels and a GPG
>6+ creatures now in graveyard
>next turn crack gates, refurbish GPG in graveyard, get 2 angels and swing for 14

that's Christmasland? I get double gift and angel all the time with U/W

Christmasland as in topdeck gates at the right time.

I can't afford a U/W or Esper manabase so I have to make due with Mardu.

>playing
Bant Tishana. Not the most competitive deck, but damn is it fun. Cleans up at FNM.

>brewing
I want to make panharmonicon work, but I can't seem to find where to fit it. The grixis thopter list on mtggoldfish seems decent, but it looks too unfocused to be actually good.

I found Panharmonicon works wonders in merfolk tribal

>all them +1s from entry
>deeproot waters making 2 tokens at a time
>Throw a couple Gearhulks in there for good measure

It's pretty fun right now, but I'm waiting for rivals before I start using it in events

How does your curve work? The only good merfolk are aggressively costed and hit the board before your panharmonicon

All the merfolk in my deck are 4 cost and lower, the most expensive things in there being the gearhulks, so in usually able to do some good with the harmonicon, if I manage to draw it relatively early

>playing
Esper Mummies, found out people call it Esper tokens
>hating
Energy and Vraska
>brewing
Im good thanks, but there is always room for improvment
>thread q
I have no idea, I thought Solemnity and Authority of Counsouls could help me.
What a fool I was.

Does anyone still play a -1/-1 or Apatra deck?

Rip Ifnir

>Tishana
I like this card, but really wish it was a 1/1 so it wouldn't immediately be put into the grave if you have nothing else in your hand when you play it (which shouldn't be a problem in blue, but has happened to me before)

But it always draws at least one card for itself.

so what?

Wouldn't that stop it from dying if you had no other cards when you play it?

It still dies. If you play it with 0 cards in hand, the ETB trigger goes on the stack, then state-based actions sees it has 0 toughness and puts in the graveyard, then the ETB trigger resolves.

It's happened to me a couple times. I always draw plenty of cards to make up for it, but it's a bit of a bummer.

Ah, my mistake then.

Anyone have a decklist that revolves around this dude?

Jund mid range could work in standard. Duress, abrade/ lightning lightning and fatal push for disruption. Regisaur Alpha is under rated IMO. 7 power with haste, one of the bodies being out of reach of lightning strike/ abrade/ push. With the exhausted dragon, makes for a strong mid range deck, just need something similar to pyroclasm to board sweep tokens.

Regisaur alpha just doesn't do an awful lot when staring down a cub, hydra or hazoret. Having 7 power is cool until both your creatures are walled

Hope you're ready for one more year of energy decks being >50% of the metagame.

Thing is, haste for all dinos. So deathgorge raptor and ripjaw raptor are also viable in the build. You can run a massive amount of removal to deal with early threats like cub. Wait for that turn you can drop and swing. With exhausted dragon, you can go turn 5 dragon, swing exhaust, kill something, turn 6 alpha, swing in.
I will throw together a deck list for play testing and post it here.

Got ajani and tezzeret aether revolt decks, i know starter decks are crap and i'm gonna get curbstomped but which has a better chance?

I think I want to get back into the game. When's the next rotation/good starting point

now. We just had a rotation, and the best deck is relatively cheap.

I'm guessing that's Temur Energy, going by it being 1/3 of the meta and the energy meme?

yep

The rotation just happened, so it's the best moment

>playing
Bant Cats & Friends
>hating
Lack of Carnage Tyrants to deal with local control decks that haven't given up the dream
>brewing
Bant Cats & Friends, finalizing
>thread q
Been playing with spell pierce and negate (and nissa) for my blue splash. Pierce has been a god send with RDW but with it's popularity dropping should I just run disallow and sideboard peirce against rdw? Or should I sideboard disallow since pierce still has early game use against all decks.

>Carnage Tyrants
What's a carnage tyrant going to do against a resolved scarab god or a settle

How do I into Blue/Green?

Seems like my color match but never played for shit with it.

There's a blue/green pummeler build out there which protects green guys with counterspells and giving them flying

So it's big creatures + blue whackery?

I'm not sure I like Simic and related themed cards

I used to play MtG and I have a small collection of older cards I dug out (roughly 2006-2010). I don't want to just throw them out, so is there anywhere I can offload them? Maybe a UK fa/tg/uy who'd be interested in a bag of cards?

Do you mean like the ravnnica stuff with big green blue creatures and mutants and stuff?

channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ug-pummeler/
Not the best deck but stuff like that

Is the only thing WoTC can do about Temur is start banning? They can't let it choke the format for the next 8 or 9 months. With Rivals I'm not sure what they can give to the tribes that can let them compete with Energy without horribly breaking one of them and it just replacing Temur.

Unless you roughly know what you have you should prbabaly go through it and make sure your not dumping a collection worth a thousand or more.

Appreciate the suggestion but I doubt that, it's not a particularly big collection and even if there's valuable cards in there, being able to sell them is a whole other beast

I'm not too worried about settle since I'm Bant and I will have full open mana before it's even possible for me to attack.

I will admit however that the god scares me. My current plan is to hope that I actually have my Dino in hand and he does not have his god in hand. Sadly the deck is not a proper control deck, and as such it the proper control decks give me difficulty. I'm open for any other suggestions.

The greater question is what do they ban? It's not like there's one absurdly strong or broken card in energy decks, they're all stacks of good cards that happen to have an energy synergy (rogue refiner). It's like Attune maybe, because it enables great color fixing and kickstarts the game with 2 energy but what else? Are they going to ban a 2/2 bear? A 3/2 draw a card ETB?

The Hydra maybe?

There's no need for bans. Temur is a fair deck. It's just the strongest strategy for the time being. As the card pool widens, other strategies will become stronger.

Notthing. Just print shit that is not hot garbage. These last two sets are really weak.

>As the card pool widens, other strategies will become stronger.

Energy can just grab the best new toys everyone else is playing with and easily incorporate them like with Scarab God.

Clearly, but the energy synergy is not going to be getting any new tools. With more cards, there are likely going to be other decks that have stronger synergies than the energy core (attune, longtusk cub, rogue refiner, etc.) And if the energy decks ditch that package to play more of the newer cards, then they're not energy decks anymore.

Yeah the deck itself is technically fair. Nothing about it is absurdly broken, everything in it just works nearly perfectly together. The problem is that it dominates the format to a degree which is really unhealthy. Could Rivals fix this? Sure. Will it? We dunno yet. If it continues to dominate for a month of two after Ixalan something will have to be done. You can't let a deck hold 40% of the field with another 20 or 30% being that deck plus another color.

Also why the fuck did WoTC print no playable energy hate in Kaladesh or Revolt?

Temur/4Color doesn't even really have that much synergy outside of its early game. The base package enables so many things that Synergy. As long as there are solid Goodstuff cards, the energy decks will be able to incorporate them.

It would have to take some insane synergy that overpowers all non synergistic cards to outright dethrone energy.

I don't even think Energy is as bad as people make it out to be, but it clearly is a problem in terms of how it is just so safe to play and able to adjust anything. A ban to either one of its fixing options (attune/Hub) would cripple it as a goodstuff, and a ban to its early creatures (Cub/Refiner) would make it a bit more risky to play.
As much as i hate the card, its not the glue that holds the deck together, and they would just find a new hard to deal with creature.

The problem with Energy is that it breaks the Magic game rules itself. It's something completely outside. Magic is about resource management and mana use, but with Energy, just playing cards normally gives you additional resources. You can have creatures that says, "pay 2 to create a thopter" But using energy is that you don't have to burn your mana to cast things. It's just there.

it's basically a mana source that NEVER empties.

The worst part ist hat there isn't any hate cards whatsoever.

>Also why the fuck did WoTC print no playable energy hate in Kaladesh or Revolt?
The main designer wanted his shit played

Based off of what I know (with minimal fact checking) its because Mark Rosewater doesnt like the the idea of players not being allowed to play out their strategy, and so he did a similar thing to what happened to when he led the design team when infect was introduced.

God forbid answers and interaction exists.

I know it sucks, but it's technically a hate card.

That doesn't actually do anything against the sultai/4C builds and even temur can still run away with the game with efficient bodies on curve.

t. dropped solemnity on T3 and still got destroyed by Scarab god.

Havent played standard in about 2 years and I'm thinking if putting this deck together. Is it worth it?

Why do you prefer your list over the currently played mono-white vampires deck?

zombie is really weak now. trying to replace the cards that rotated out just don't have the same power levels. time to reflect is a great trick once, then your opponent learns it and then it just becomes average/below average

i didnt even know there was one. I havent played this game in 2 years

what is the white? what is the wincon or overall strategy?

mtggoldfish.com/deck/817618#paper

Check it out. The mana in standard is pretty weak unless you're playing energy or artifacts. That's why you see mono-red, mono-black, and mono-white aggro decks. Looking at your list, i can tell you that playing Gifted Aetherborn would be extremely painful.

if you're gonna run more than 4-6 removal its probably gonna cost you your ramp creatures, then you're stuck with a bunch of cards you can't cast. dino pounce is probably the most efficient to use with enrage triggers, and you can't not use commune with dinosaurs

Except Solemnity

Here's the list:

// 60 Maindeck
// 21 Creature
4 Angel of Invention
2 Channeler Initiate
1 Master Trinketeer
4 Tishana, Voice of Thunder
3 Walking Ballista
1 Sacred Cat
3 Servant of the Conduit
3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
// 10 Enchantment
3 Growing Rites of Itlimoc
3 Legion's Landing
2 Cast Out
2 Ixalan's Binding
// 23 Land
3 Botanical Sanctum
2 Forest
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Plains
3 Scattered Groves
1 Shefet Dunes
4 Sunpetal Grove
2 Aether Hub
// 6 Sorcery
3 Servo Exhibition
3 Sram's Expertise

// 15 Sideboard
// 6 Creature
2 Anointer Priest
3 Sacred Cat
1 Sunscourge Champion
// 1 Enchantment
1 Overwhelming Splendor
// 6 Instant
3 Negate
1 Spell Pierce
2 Settle the Wreckage
// 1 Planeswalker
1 Nissa, Steward of Elements
// 1 Sorcery
1 Dusk // Dawn

You win by either 1) casting walking ballista for X=10, 2) drowning them in card advantage when you draw 7 off of tishana, or 3) swing for lethal with big servos thanks to an angel or two. It's a lot of fun. Weak to ramunap red, though, even with so many cards devoted to it in the sideboard. I like it because the win cons are so diverse (I've won more times than I thought I would just by having so many tokens and an angel out) and drawing a ton of cards into another tishana so you can draw another bunch.

tezzeret's touch can quickly end games if left unanswered but umm playing straight starter decks vs constructed is bad. if you're casual you can probably spend ten bucks to make it more than decent enough

I agree, I left hearthstone a while back and they have a similar design philosophy. It doesn’t lead to an overall enjoyable experience. (Especially when the main designer hates combo decks and thinks a combo should require at least 3 turns of uninterrupted setup to go off.)

>mfw t3 tezz's touch on an ornithopter

The look on some people's faces as they get fucking demolished by an ornithopter is priceless

whirler virtuoso. banning attune will completely break the deck and longtusk dies to almost everything and isn't ban worthy.

those are some pretty solid interactions actually. im casual only and i've never seen anything near that list

>mfw they kill the creature and i get the card back
>mfw they do get rid of the enchantment and i just play another
> mfw they have no answer and i play my second copy

Whirler virtuoso isn't even played in the sultai versions

it will at least weaken 4c/temur without crippling it. and if people decide that after ban sultai is the best shell, it will be a lot easier to main/sideboard against only one version of energy

Which version of energy do you think is strongest in the current meta?

The ones with black. Duress fucks me up

I'd say green/red because then you have both the fucking hydra and glorybringer to worry about

Selling loads of cards in EU / UK is really easy.

Magiccardmarket should have you covered. And don't dismiss the value of your cards out of hand, a lot of older uncommons and even commons can go for a pretty penny these days

thinking about getting back into standard for fun after a year and a half of playing nothing but EDH and legacy. thinking about picking up ramunap red since its decently cheap and wont rotate anytime soon, is it still good or has the meta shifted it out?

can someone please explain god pharaohs gift to me? what is this deck even supposed to do?

Mono-red is still widely used.

The deck dumps cards in the grave and then uses Refurbish to put GPG from grave to battlefield, then abuses tf out of it (for instance, Champion of Wits comes back and you draw 4 then drop 4).

Oh user I forgot about dead oketra, that's going in the side board. Thanks

>playing
Rakdos Burn w/ Vance's Blasting Cannons
>hating
standard desu
>brewing
Gonti flicker for days
>thread q
More cards like Harsh Mentor, or maybe a functional reprint of Linvala Keeper of Silence.

Deeproot Waters wouldn't trigger Panharmonicon, it happens when you cast it, not when it enters the battlefield. If it was an ETB trigger it would go infinite on itself

>one more year
Doesn't Kaladesh rotate out with return to dominaria?

I'm actually interested by this list, but can it really compete with the most popular decks ?

>can someone please explain god pharaohs gift to me? what is this deck even supposed to do?

mill yourself until you get your combo then bring out a 6/6 flyer with lifelink vigilance and haste (as early as t3). if you get a second angel they're 7/7 in the air, and with 6 damage from the first that's 20.

Banning Attune does not completely break the deck. It introduces possible mana problems to the deck and it slows it down into an actual midrange deck. Not only that banning Attune actually makes Selemnity better because they don't already have a stockpile of energy when it comes down

whatsinstandard.com
not the guy with the deck, looks like it can be okay in FNM but probably too clunky for actual tourneys. basically standard is already solved there are more viable/efficient aggo, midrange, control, and combo decks already out there(wow look at that healthy standard that people still whine about)
we'll just have to agree to disagree. i played magic duels on steam which did not release attune, which is where i am basing my experience with the card if it was banned. i can tell you energy does a whole lot less without its premier turn one play. yes you can still play energy but it probably won't survive the meta