What does Veeky Forums think of Godlike...

What does Veeky Forums think of Godlike? Recently discovered it and was thinking of suggesting it to my players since a bunch of us are superhero fans and over half are pretty into WW2. From what I've read of the setting it seems pretty neat, though not sure what to think of the actual system without trying it out. Any huge problems I should try to avoid?

Depends if you like or hate One Roll Engines. I believe that was one of the first ones to use the ORE pools.

Bit too narrative for my liking.

Tell me more about it user. It sounds interesting.

I've never used the one roll engine so I really don't know what to think. It seems interesting at a glance though.

I've only just recently picked it up, so I might fuck some of this up, but from my understanding. People start developing superpowers, called talents in the game, in the mid-late 30's. People seem to gain powers from whatever they believe they get their powers from, or occasionally due to severe mental or physical trauma. So if there was a person who truly believed the idea of the aryan superman, and believed he was one, he would the be the aryan superman (kind of like 40k orks, i guess?).

Jump a few years, and ww2 breaks out like it did in actual history, but this time there are units of these supermen like you'd imagine there would be.

What really stands out for me, though, is the way the powers work. Each one has its quirk, and tends to be overly specific. So there are examples in the book of a character that can run up any wall, but he has to be running. There's another character that can throw up to a ton, he can't lift something that heavy, simply throw it. There's a character that can fly, but because he's scared of heights can only reach 40ft, anything higher and he can no longer fly. Shit like that. It's what you make of it, but I really like the idea of super fucking arbitrary superpowers.

>since a bunch of us are superhero fans

>There's another character that can throw up to a ton, he can't lift something that heavy, simply throw it.
so how does he use the power?

Perhaps he just kicks it really hard.

It's a high-danger, high-realism system where people occasionally manifest a superpower, which is generally very specific and generally won't stop you from getting shot in the chest and killed (unless it's a toughness-based power).

The flavour of the setting still comes off as gritty, and is meant to still portray the stress and horror of WWII. You're still running from cover to cover with your ears ringing from gunfire and sweat getting in your eyes, it's just that you also happen to be able to shoot eye lazers, or that machete given to you by your dying comrade can cut the main gun off a tank and return to you when thrown (so long as you're the one wielding it).

It's has a typical superhero system of build-your-own-superpower which works, more or less, fine as far as I remember. I found combat a bit clunky but it sped up once we got used to it. It's still largely a war game so the rules around guns, demolitions, body parts, etc. are robust.

They write out a full summary of how WWII goes down in the setting, and it's actually a lot of fun to read. (I love Baba Yaga and the Ghost of the 14th especially).

He can lift things only for very brief periods, and ONLY for the purpose of throwing them immediately. The powers of Godlike are driven by belief, not science.

right, I forgot liking superheroes was a bunch of normalfag shit now. my bad.

I ran one game and played one game, had a lot of fun in both.

My game involved the allied PCs storming Dieppe, manifesting their powers during he battle and, with a bit of help from the Ghost of the 14th (we're all fucking leafs) surviving and making their way to a French guerilla outfit, who's dealing with a Nazi plan to "manifest" the Norse gods by, you guessed it, torturing people in occult-y ways.

In the game I played in, I played a mousey engineer who's power was, when he's scared or otherwise in danger, transforming into a superpowered medieval knight. Very fun character to play, since I could roleplay a skittish Woody Allen type or a stoic knight alternatively.

Powers in Godlike are not logical, and in the fluff it's actually entertaining to read how scientists cope with that fact. For example, one "talent" is superinventions, like a portal gun or a jetpack. The "science" behind their inventions doesn't make sense to anyone else reading their notes, and the inventions only work in their hands, or at least within their range of sight.

No, it's a child thing.

Another example in the fluff is Bulldog, a British talent who is super "strong" and can lift tanks, etc., despite being this small, not particularly swole dude. Scientists had him lift a tank while standing on a scale, and the scale did not change, meaning that his power isn't so much strength as he makes the weight "disappear" in his hands.

It's basically mind over matter, or mind over universal lawes.

>child thing
>on a thread about playing board games and make-belief
mhmm

No, it just makes everyone think you're am immature loser who got bullied in middle school. There is nothing in the superhero genre that makes it worth watching/reading, and comic books are for brainlet children who can't actually read.

Sir I will have you know that my big titted catgirl in Pathfinder is a deeply nuanced metaphor for both the disillusion of 1970s corporate america and the existential dread one feels from hearing a doorbell.

Don't lump my refined philosophical acting with childish things like superheroes.

You are clearly an adolescent. No other age group cares about that. That's ok. Play games you like. You can come back to superheroes when you grow up a bit.

The current financial success of the superhero genre must really make you angry, if for no other reason than it proves you wrong.

I didn't even think they did sfw art

Godlike talents are literally powered by delusions being mentally projected into the world. You have to bet will power to use your powers, and the most dangerous thing to talents is running out of the will to fight. Or going crazy. Baba yaga's house is real in setting because a russian talent fond of folk tales snapped, so now there is just a literally invincible chicken legged house destructively sprinting through the eastern front.
Love it to bits, though I'll say this right now, you're going to want to use the wild talent's skill system (technically you can simulate godlike in its entirety in wild talents, but I think you lose a bit of the feel if you do that), it is so much more refined.

>chicken legged
Crustacean in this case, but still fucking horrifying.

That's because normies will watch anything with action and cool explosions in it. They have no taste. Those are the movies, user. Reading comics still makes you a brainlet.

user if you don't like superheros and think they are childish on this board designed to talk about 40k, pretending to be elves, and whatever the fuck /pfg/ is supposed to be about. Perhaps you should seek out a different board more suited to your interests, at the very least a different thread.
Go over to /co/ if you want to bitch about comics, we're trying to have a conversation about an neat but incredibly niche little system here, and you're acting like a petulant child.

Normies are watching them, nerds are watching them. Smart people are watching them, dumb people are watching them. Men are watching them, women are watching them.

When you say superheroes are for [particular type of person] you're knowingly lying or just retarded.

hmmm, seems like an interesting game. I'm wondering though. Obviously its a game set during world war 2, so combat is going to be a focus, but what kind of stuff could you do in this kind of setting after the combat is over for the day?

Watch mash and dial it back a war.

That or you could set it up as some indian jones type shit with a band of special forces or talented civvies chasing after some nazi occultists that think they know the secret of talents around the world to various ancient sights. That way you could have investigation, mysteries, social encounters in neutral countries, nazies with mystic themed powers, etc.
Actually yeah, do that. Wild talents being a direct sequel proves that talents will eventually evolve beyond their godlike limitations into something more. You could totally set that up as an end goal (at least stopping the axis from doing so first). Neutral countries means you'd want to avoid dragging the war with you (because it could tip the balance and have them join the war, which would limit the baddies as much as it would the players).

So for anyone who has played before what are some interesting powers your and your fellow players have come up with?

I've only played oneshots of the game before and out of the pre-gens I think my favorites are either the nazi mailroom clerk that can literally fold reality like an envelope, or commander kirby (as in he can breath in matter and hold it inside some kind of internal hammer space for a limited period of time).

Well this thread was great, glad we had some much to talk about.

I'm off to go post a new thread that just says d&d in green text with a trashy picture and then stop coming here.

Just use wild talents, system works better.

Prove it

He snatches up stuff and throws it immediately. He can fling a tank, for example, but he can't lift and carry it - He can grab it, then toss it on the spot.

I really like this, but sometimes I wonder about Arc Dream. They also did Progenitor, but a lot of their stuff seems to be inherently SJW-ish. For instance, the next Godlike campaign is going to be about black tankies in WWII.

...and...?

And I don't like it, obviously. I resent it when they try to slip you the dick that way. Why can't we have a setting with a more inherently Conservative bias for once?

If it's a Godlike campaign, it's the same setting as everything else Godlike. There's no reason you have to play it.

Yeah, though I really liked Black Devils Brigade. I'm waiting on the Last Siege and Operation Torch, really.

Funny, I've recently got into Wild Talents.
I haven't read much of Godlike, but as I understand it is like a later edition of Godlike that puts all it's effort into the system, and none into the setting, selling it as more universal, and leaving the GM/players doing all the work.

I couldn't find much about it on Veeky Forums, but didn't there used to be a ORE general or something?

Wild Talents is a better fit for a straight superhero game but Godlike is more geared to making a high lethality war game with a sprinkling of superpowers

WILDly TALENTed, underrated post.

This is pretty much true. The WT 2nd Ed essentials edition even excises the core World Gone Mad setting entirely. Which is fine because the World Gone Mad isn't particularly compelling since it comes off as kind of kitchen-sinky.

The REAL good ORE-Supers settings are Godlike itself and Progenitor, because they have a laser-like focus on their core concept.

That said WT is an awesome, awesome system for creating your own superhero setting, which is what I reckon most people want to do anyway.

The full 2nd edition rules are a must read even if you never intend to play. Just for the world building advice

I started playing WT 2nd Ed using Essentials without ever touching the world building advice. It's nice, but not _entirely_ necessary unless it's literally your first time ever making a setting.