RPG system

Dice pool or percentage, or other.

Which one you prefer and why?

Whatever is most appropriate to the premise.

Discussing mechanics in abstract is pointless.

Dice pools get all fucky after a certain number of dice
Percentage is okay if it doesn't get overwhelmingly easy to get bonus'

I prefer some static dice roll plus modifiers, with maybe a few re-rolls per game and scaling dice results.

I like dice pools because throwing a fistful of dice is really satisfying, even though it gets pretty cumbersome after so many dice. For that reason I prefer systems that count successes rather than add up the dice, since it is easier to just look for 6s or whatever on 6 dice rather than add 6 different dice.

I also like percentile systems as long as it is rules-light and doesn't go overboard with modifiers. A simple roll under stat with dice flipping for the better if it's easy, and dice flipping for the worst if it's hard is plenty.

Dice pool because rolling a fuckload of dice feels good.

I prefer different systems for different genres.

> Fantasy
Barbarians of Lemuria

> Horror / city fantasy / other similar genres
Unknown Armies

> Cyberpunk / dieselpunk / steampunk
Unofficial Bladerunner RPG

> Superheroics/ shounen/ maho-shoujo
Homebrew with a dicepool of d6's based on Powergaming and Wield.

> Comedic fantasy
Homebrew with 2d6 rolls based on Fireball and Savage Flower Kingdom

> Souls-like
Turbo Dice

Percentage, because its easy to convert your ideas to %

I generally prefer percentage systems. It makes it very easy to make calculations and odds and challenges.

My preference in this regard is "Yes."

I like variety in my games, in all ways; themes, mood, genre, mechanics.

I am far more concerned about how well the mechanics support the premise of the game than with whether they use a particular style of dice.

I like the idea of dice pools. It's a great way for people who are good at something to be consistently good at that thing, but it also difficult to build around, especially in regards to assigning bonuses. Hard numbers or extra dice? Roll and keep or successes or add? It also means that there are fewer moments where a person can succeed against great odds because the bell curves are so consistent.

Percentages are basically d20-upgraded due to the extra leeway you're afforded with the additional numbers. But it's also hell setting up the right base and bonuses. Dark Heresy's base of mid-20's makes you feel like your character is a bumbling goober.

I wish my group wasn't just retarded DnDtards so I could try other systems

I like 3d6. I like the bell curve. I don't think it's inherently better than any other resolution method (save for obviously flawed ones), I just like it a lot and the way it feels to use. And yes, it's no secret, I also like GURPS.

Others I've enjoyed: Reign/ORE's dice pools, OtE and Heroquest 2's, most D6 stuff I've played. d100 is decent enough and very straightforward, but it doesn't touch my dick the same way as it does some others.

Not a particularly big fan of FUDGE/Fate dice, but they function fine as far as I've used them (another rough little bell curve). I really dislike EotE's resolution system, not even because of the proprietary dice thing.

>Dark Heresy's base of mid-20's makes you feel like your character is a bumbling goober.
Some designers like that, Gensys/EotE is the same way. Something like Mythras has a better creation and starting skills.

Whats even the point of dice pools? How is this any different from applying a modifier to a singular dice?
I like dice pools in wargames because its a good representation of a squad firing from many weapons at once, but in RPG is just gimmicky and bloats combat even further.

Because it's a fun, tactile mechanic

Bell-curves, son. You're more likely to get mid-tier results than extremes. This makes your roll much more consistent and expected, enabling your character to be always good at something rather than sometimes good at it.
If it's success based, you can add more dice for very incrementally more bonuses as well, giving you a lot of room to play with certain situations and bonuses due to the small impact of each individual die.

This curve right here

Put this shit on everything

>muh curves
Why even play wih dice then? Use card pool for guaranteed draws with perfect percentage spread. The whole point of dice is to be unpredictable and random within each individual session

You really don't understand how statistics work do you

Because normalization presents randomization with weight.

That's rather important if you want amazing/horrid results to show up sparsely and more mediocre ones to be, literally, normal.

2D6

Very Easy: 3-4
Easy: 5-6
Average: 7
Difficult: 8-9
Challenging: 10-11
Extremely Challenging: 12

8df? That is stupid.

It's a model of what happens with active defense--the opponent is rolling 4DF as is the initiator of the action; the difference is the score.
[4dF - 4dF], in other words.