Magitech Infinite Steam Engine

Using magic that could permanently apply an elemental effect (runes, portals to respective planes, etc) could you hypothetically create an infinite steam engine? Suppose you placed runes of create water and fireball in the proper sequence to produce large quantities of steam, then fitted it to an appropriate energy collection system. What possible mechanical issues could arise from such a system? Pic semi-related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b9sycdSkngA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

depends
on
the
setting
dumbfuck
if it was my setting, each permanent elemental effect like that is connected to the plane it represents.
have fun dealing with small fire elementals popping up every now and then
and have fun getting reamed when this shit goes mainstream and the elemental lords come wondering what the fuck is siphoning so much from their realms.

For setting, lets assume GURPS cause it's what I've been reading lately, and seem best suited for autistic magic engineering like this.

Also having elementals pop up does sound like a good way to balance a potentially limitless energy source, but what are some ways I could avoid that? Would it be possible to bind a water elemental to one half of the engine, and a fire elemental to the other half and power my airship off their constant hate fucking?

>setting
>names a system
user.
stop.
just fucking stop.

GURPS has the fantasy setting of Yrth in its rule books if you need one before the discussion can continue ya spergo

Well then your magitech os haram and tbe muslim thougjt police gonna jihad you.

>depends on the setting
>spergs out when asked to supply a setting
Please go away, we don't need your retardation here.

That arrowhead never even worked in 3.5 because Bags of Holding and Portable Holes never even worked that way if you looked at their rules.

Why does everyone keep reposting this?

About bag of holdings. What if i drop one in the middle of the ocean? Worldwide catastrophe? Well maybe not right now but after few centuries...

They have limits on what they can hold.

Don't most discussions about general magic here default to the basic D&D setting for the sake of brevity?

>the basic D&D setting
Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Spell Jammer, Dark Sun, Eberron. All of these are D&D settings and all have very very different ways of using magical technology, if it even exists.

I know the guy replying to you was trying to clarify but came off like an autist, but you should try and be specific about your questions or you're going to get the meme responses people always fish for.

Okay, let's say the no extra fluff, baseline, prime material plane, straight out of the box, core only, D&D world so we can move on to actually talking about magic steam engines

they do work that way in PF though

Dumb wizards meddling with affairs they don't understand makes for great plot hooks to be fair.

So Points of Light?

At that point why not just make a rune of Lightning and run everything on infinite electrical energy?

I'm actually working on a setting with this kind of ideas in mind - there are cars that work on Heat Sygils, power plants where alchemists make electricity for the city, witches that work in healthcare etc.

Accept I made it so you need an Alchemist to make all this stuff actually work - even the long duration sygils inside the cars will run out in a couple of months and you will need to visit an Alchemic Workshop to re-cast it.

How can I inject some magitech into my high fantasy-setting game without just going "this is your magical not!cell phone, and this is your magical not!motorcycle, and this is your magical not!television"? I do like the idea of including those sorts of things, mind you, but I don't want it to feel like a shallow attempt and shoving them in. I've been trying to brainstorm ideas for magitech devices that don't just mirror modern technology in hopes that it will make it feel like the magitech is more than just an excuse for anachronisms (which admittedly is what it started as).

In all honestly, practical application of D&D 3.5 magic in means such as the one pictured often involve the Spells/magical items functioning as intended, but are also taking into account actual in game effects from roll tables to equivalent physics and logic.

When considering making a new spell, it's often a matter of taking existing rules from existing spells, or omitting a long custom spell explanation for "Functions as X Spells Fluff text."

Aboleth's for example, have the most concentrated use of Fear, Madness, and taint tables through their existence, Runes of Insanity/Madness, Gibbering Mouthers, and a number of Sea-faring Oozes, and also have cities which have a brainwashing beacon to attract potential thralls.

Follow the Treasure planet rule- 75% fantasy- 25%Steampunk/Futuretech
youtube.com/watch?v=b9sycdSkngA

Guild of engineers becomes one of the biggest and well payed in the land. Candidates need training to deal with mechanical breakdowns as well as being solid magic fighters to deal with elementals getting pissy.

With that rune system that floats around here from time to time, I'm sure you could make it.

What rune system? Is it system specific or something Veeky Forums made? Post it if you have it. I love me some runic alphabets

Or skip vehicles and go straight for Teleportation Circle.

more magic exploitations like your pic?
They're always fun to read

In gurps there is a spell that converts mass to fuel.

So at TL 7 you get some gas or coal

It breaks apart when you reach TL 12 where the usual fuel is antimatter.

Because the spell converts POUNDS, and a pound of antimatter is a rape machine.