Order of the Stick / OOTS

#1106 - Anwsering the Callback

Nothing happens but at least the obvious is obvious for everyone involved

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus_the_Aardvark#Storylines
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like how he admits that the other dwarf cleric is completely irrelevant.

Oh, so she's still the cleric of Loki? Dunno why she has turn undead then.

Could be neutral and took Turn instead of Rebuke.

You can't prank the dead. Why support it?

Neutral clerics (in base 3.5 anyway) can't turn undead if their patron deity is evil.

One thing that is occurring to me in a serious manner though is how much Hilgya mirrors Malack. In both cases, you have an evil cleric who is at least cordial and willing to work with Durkon, and his own inflexibility, "evil must be opposed, no compromise, no retreat" attitude drives them away or into hostility.

I wonder how much of that is intentional.

Burlew now only follows the game rules to the extent they are convenient to him.

Maybe it was a prank. What if she's only saying the words and the undead are falling for it?

>she's OG LG!
>nobody pointed out her alignment is Chaotic

At least they're well past "up a level, down a level" jokes.

>now

It's almost like D&D is a game of make believe that encourages interpretation and revision.

>3.5 rules lawyers still unaware the beginning of every book says "YOU CAN CHANGE THE RULES IF YOU PREFER THAT"

Why are Roy's eyes backwards compared to every other character? I just looked through the last few pages and noticed it's consistent.

Usually Burlew makes the eye that's "closer" with regards to the reader's perspective bigger, but for Roy it's smaller and the far one bigger.

Cerebus?

Pic related got really superserious at some point in its run, creating a dissonance.

The baby reaching for stuff is adorable

Huh. Okay.

So well known that a major dour moodshift is called a cerebus syndrome at tv tropes.

Yikes

In this case, LG is short for Linear Guild.

It was a joke.

The joke would've been the confusion over what it stood for if this were earlier in the comic.

Thog.

>is he our guy

Que?

It's a Veeky Forums thing.

It's also completely amazingly fucking crazy. The art changes constantly, the lettering is superb and there's just a ton of shit tried out like starting writing a novel in some issues to peter out into a comic.
Like Cerebus becomes a Canadian hockey goalie, a mother/father, a southern-style huckster politician, a religious leader with the help of the three stooges, lots of women drama and he fights literal feminazis overtaking his church.
The latter combined with one of his novel-rants going on about female/male destructive/creative energies (biological male "lights" and biological female "voids") got him persona-non grata:ed at a couple of old conventions, some of which has been admitted to rivalries spurred over him getting a lot of nookie at them.
He also self-published at a time when it was thought impossible and basically worked so much he had a breakdown and started worshipping a Gnostic dualist mixture of Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

It's an amazing ride in other words.

I read a few volumes of it from my public library but they must have been like, the first three or something.

Holy shit. It just seemed a remarkably decent comic and I cribbed his.... the religious artifact duck macguffin hunt for an adventure at one point, but jesus, it sounds like the train completely leaves the rails at some point.

It starts as a jokey adventure comic and goes off-tangent in "High Society", starts veering off in the distance in "Church & Society" goes off-rails in "Mothers and Daughters" and then goes off rails you didn't think even existed in "Latter Days" & "Last Day".
Like read some of these and realize they're just touching the very surface: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus_the_Aardvark#Storylines

I remember a frantic high-stakes chase for a golden duck or something, that was a major religious artifact in a city he had some power in. As everything falls apart around his ears (maybe?) and a barbarian army shows up on the doorstep he's trying to find this to somehow keep his position/authority/domain. He goes out to confront the barbarian army alone with an aide's sword, and they turn out to be a tribe he 'conquered' earlier at some point, and therefore are potential allies/servants instead of another fire he has to put out.

Eventually everything falls apart and he runs away and on his way out of town discovers that the golden duck he was looking for all along has was in the bag of treasure he got from a wizard before showing up to the city in the first place- he briefly considers going back, then decides, "Eh, fuck it." and pitches the duck.

Apparently that was all so minor compared to the crazy bullshit it doesn't even bear mentioning on the wiki page. Wow.

So when Dorkula tries to dominate Hilgya, he's going to dominate the baby instead right?
inb4crossed

It's confirmed: Durkon's pullout game is WEAK AS FUCK.

Wouldn't trust him to pull a loaf of dwarf bread out the oven.

But he's quite clearly good at putting a bun in the oven

He couldn't even pull out of the fight with Malack.

Oh damn!

>I wish to jump but has only guano

made me laugh

By loudly announcing that the kid is obviously Durkon's, have they just guaranteed that it won't be?

I'm inclined to say no (if it were an Elan arc, maybe, but not so much here), but with Durkon being super lawful (and Hilgya being "chaotic" with regards to partners) I think it actually being Durkon's kid would present nearly as many problems to his OotS adventuring as his vampirism, so maybe it's not, for the sake of keeping him in the party when they get him back

>Neutral clerics (in base 3.5 anyway) can't turn undead if their patron deity is evil.

Is OotS Loki evil? Seemed more Chaotic Neutral to me.