/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Sitting Uncommonly Tight Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mediafire.com/folder/j962ws6h50bqj/Victory_Games
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/kv5k4jjzdsk1708/Wargaming in History - The Second Anglo-Boer War.pdf
mediafire.com/file/ejf7r4i6ff1afcw/Osprey - MAA 201 - The British Army on Campaign 1816-1902 (4) 1882-1902.pdf
mediafire.com/file/tcq6417a997qkj8/Osprey - MAA 212 - Queen Victoria's Enemies (1) Southern Africa.pdf
mediafire.com/file/8z815c281erodgx/Osprey - MAA 303 - Boer Wars (2) 1898-1902.pdf
mediafire.com/file/pqb5k477epg76s1/Osprey - MAA 442 - Queen Victoria's Highlanders.pdf
mediafire.com/file/dnhnpzp92zmke8o/Osprey - WAR 086 - Boer Commando 1876-1902.pdf
pierre-marteau.com/currency/converter.html
seanavalgazing.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/enfilade-recap-part-2-my-games.html
m.mediafire.com/folder/q3szfk6ubgas7/Final-Co
mediafire.com/file/vvsm8olqd5e4m26/Knotel - German States of the Napoleonic Wars.pdf
mediafire.com/file/8fc6h8slq8yea8u/Knotel - Napoleon's Adversaries.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Halbe
aaronevansmedia.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/creating-a-modern-naval-wargame/
gangsofrome.com/collections/fighters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Wargaming Magazines
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead
The Face Of Battle
General d'Armee (TFL version)

November the 28th in military history

936 – Shi Jingtang is enthroned as the first emperor of the Later Jin by Emperor Taizong of Liao, following a revolt against Emperor Fei of Later Tang.
1443 – Skanderbeg and his forces liberate Kruja in central Albania and raise the Albanian flag.
1470 – Champa–Đại Việt War: Emperor Lê Thánh Tông of Đại Việt formally launches his attack against Champa.
1627 – The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth Navy has its greatest and last victory in the Battle of Oliwa.
1666 – At least 3,000 men of the Royal Scots Army led by Tam Dalyell of the Binns defeat about 900 Covenanter rebels in the Battle of Rullion Green.
1862 – American Civil War: In the Battle of Cane Hill, Union troops under General James G. Blunt defeat General John Marmaduke's Confederates.
1885 – Bulgarian victory in the Serbo-Bulgarian War preserves the Unification of Bulgaria.
1899 – The Second Boer War: a British column is engaged by Boer forces at the Battle of Modder River; although the Boers withdraw, the British suffer heavy casualties.
1920 – Irish War of Independence: Kilmichael Ambush: The Irish Republican Army ambush a convoy of British Auxiliaries and kill seventeen.
1943 – World War II: Tehran Conference: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin meet in Tehran, Iran, to discuss war strategy.
1965 – Vietnam War: In response to U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson's call for "more flags" in Vietnam, Philippine President-elect Ferdinand Marcos announces he will send troops to help fight in South Vietnam.
1971 – Wasfi al-Tal, Prime Minister of Jordan, is assassinated by the Black September unit of the PLO.
1980 – Iran–Iraq War: Operation Morvarid: The bulk of the Iraqi Navy is destroyed by the Iranian Navy in the Persian Gulf. (Commemorated in Iran as Navy Day.)

It is 118 years since the Battle of Modder River (known in Afrikaans as Slag van die Twee Riviere), an engagement in the Second Boer War of 1899-1902. A British column under Lord Methuen, which was attempting to relieve the besieged town of Kimberley, forced Boers under General Piet Cronje to retreat to Magersfontein; but suffered heavy casualties themselves. It was a rough introduction for British forces to the new style of warfare on the veldt.

When the war broke out the previous month, one of the Boers' early targets was the diamond-mining centre of Kimberley, which stood not far from where the borders of the Boer Republics and the British-controlled Cape Colony met. Although their forces surrounded the town, they did not press home any immediate assault, nor did they attempt to invade Cape Colony.

Meanwhile, British reinforcements were on their way to South Africa. Their commander, General Sir Redvers Buller detached the 1st Division under Lieutenant General Lord Methuen to relieve the Siege of Kimberley. This decision was made partly for reasons of prestige, as the capture of Kimberley would be a major propaganda victory for the British. Methuen's force advanced north along the Western Cape Railway.

The Boers had been reinforced by a contingent from the Transvaal under General Koos de la Rey, who proposed a radical new plan of defence. He pointed out that the Boers had previously been easily driven from the kopjes (hills) which they had occupied. The kopjes had been obvious aiming marks for the numerically superior British artillery. Also, the trajectory of rifle fire from Boers on the top of the kopjes was steeply plunging. It therefore had a chance of hitting its target only in the last six feet or so of its flight. Once British infantry had reached the foot of the kopje, they were concealed by boulders and scrub, and could then easily drive the Boers off the summit with the bayonet.

De la Rey proposed to make use of the flat trajectory of the Mauser rifle with which the Boers were armed, together with the flat veld. He called on his men to dig trenches in the banks of the Modder River, from which their rifles could sweep the veld for a great distance, and won them over. General Piet Cronje, who arrived later with the main Boer force, acquiesced in this novel plan.

The area contained two prominent hotels and the village of Rosmead, which was used as a resort by prominent businessmen from Kimberley. The Boer trenches were on the south side of the Modder and the smaller Riet River which joined it at Modder River Station. The Boers had six field guns and one Maxim "pom-pom" (small rapid-firing gun) from the Orange Free State's Staatsartillerie. They deployed these not as a concentrated battery, but as widely separated individual gun detachments north of the Modder and to the east. They had dug several emplacements for each gun, allowing their guns to switch position to avoid counter-battery fire.

Methuen's force consisted of two infantry brigades (the Guards Brigade under Major-General Sir Henry Edward Colville and the 9th Brigade under Major-General Reginald Pole-Carew), two mounted regiments, three batteries of field artillery and four guns of the Naval Brigade. Further reinforcements were arriving up the railway.

The British cavalry (the 9th Lancers and a unit recruited in Cape Town, Rimington's Guides), made some attempts to scout the ground ahead of the army, but failed entirely to detect De la Rey's trenches and other preparations. (For example, the Boers had whitewashed stones on the veld or had placed biscuit tins as range markers). At 4:30 am on 28 November, Methuen's force roused itself, deployed into line and began advancing towards the Modder, with no plans other than to cross the river before having breakfast on the far side.

As the British troops came within 1,200 yards (1,100 m) of the river, Methuen remarked to Colville, "They're not here." Colville replied, "They're sitting uncommonly tight if they are". At this point the Boers opened fire. Most of the British troops were forced to throw themselves flat. Some tried to advance in short rushes, but could find no cover on the veld. Few British troops got closer than 1,000 yards (910 m) to the Boers. The Guards tried to outflank the Boer left, but were unable to ford the Riet River. The British guns pounded the buildings near Modder River Station and the line of poplar trees which marked the north bank of the Modder, and entirely missed the enemy trenches on the south bank. Meanwhile, the Boer guns maintained a galling fire, and kept in action by repeatedly moving their positions.

The battle became a day-long stalemate. Most of the British infantry lay prone on the veld, tortured by heat and thirst, but safe from enemy fire unless they moved. Many stoically smoked pipes or even slept. Methuen galloped about the field trying to renew the advance, and was himself wounded. At midday, some of Pole-Carew's 9th Brigade found the open Boer right flank at Rosmead Ford downstream. British infantry infiltrated across the ford and about 1:00 pm drove the Boers out. The attack was disjointed, and suffered casualties when a British field artillery battery which had just arrived on the field shelled them by mistake. By nightfall, De la Rey had driven them back into a small insecure bridgehead. Nevertheless, the Boers feared that they were now vulnerable to being outflanked, and withdrew during the night.

The British lost between 450 and 480 and were forced to pause for ten days. On the Boer side, there were about 80 casualties, including Adriaan, the eldest son of de la Rey, mortally wounded by a shell.

The Second Boer War has a lot of potential for wargaming, with high mobility and dramatic changes in general strategy. A Boer player has few troops but intense lethality, while the British player has the numbers but lacks the co-ordination to use them fully. Featherstone (ever the Victorian wars buff) wrote a chapter on the subject - pdf related - which contains a specific scenario of Modder River.

mediafire.com/file/kv5k4jjzdsk1708/Wargaming in History - The Second Anglo-Boer War.pdf
mediafire.com/file/ejf7r4i6ff1afcw/Osprey - MAA 201 - The British Army on Campaign 1816-1902 (4) 1882-1902.pdf
mediafire.com/file/tcq6417a997qkj8/Osprey - MAA 212 - Queen Victoria's Enemies (1) Southern Africa.pdf
mediafire.com/file/8z815c281erodgx/Osprey - MAA 303 - Boer Wars (2) 1898-1902.pdf
mediafire.com/file/pqb5k477epg76s1/Osprey - MAA 442 - Queen Victoria's Highlanders.pdf
mediafire.com/file/dnhnpzp92zmke8o/Osprey - WAR 086 - Boer Commando 1876-1902.pdf

It is 37 years since Operation Morvarid (Persian for "Pearl"), an operation launched by the Iranian Navy and Air Force against the Iraqi Air Defence sites on 28 November 1980 in response to Iraq positioning radar and monitoring equipment on the Al-Bakr and Khor-al-Amaya oil rigs to counter Iranian air operations. The operation resulted in a victory for Iran, which managed to destroy both oil rigs as well as much of the Iraqi Navy and inflicted significant damage to Iraqi ports and airfields.

On 28 November 1980, Iranian F-4 Phantoms and F-5 Tiger IIs attacked Iraqi airfields around Basra. They managed to destroy one Iraqi MiG-21 Fishbed on the ground. During the night of the 29th, six ships of the Iranian Navy's Task Force 421 deployed marines on the Iraqi oil terminals at Mina al Bakr and Khor-al-Amaya. The marines, supported by Army Aviation's AH-1J Cobras, Bell 214s and CH-47C Chinooks, gunned down most Iraqi defenders during a short firefight, then deployed a large number of bombs and mines. They were then evacuated by helicopter and left the Iraqi oil installations and early warning bases in flames.

At the same time, two Iranian Kaman class missile boats (Paykan and Joshan) blocked the ports of Al Faw and Umm Qasr, blocking 60 foreign ships and shelling both facilities. In response the Iraqi Navy deployed P-6 torpedo boats and Osa II class fast-attack craft for a counter-attack. The boats engaged the two Iranian missile boats which managed to sink two Osas with Harpoon missiles. The remaining three Osa class missile boats continued to attack the missile boat Paykan. The crew of the "Paykan" called IRIAF for help which sent two F-4s (each armed with six AGM-65 Maverick missiles). By the time they arrived, however, the Paykan had been sunk after being hit by two Iraqi P-15 Termit missiles. In response, the F-4s targeted the remaining Iraqi ships and sunk three Osa IIs and four P-6s.

Soon another four Iranian F-4s arrived from Shiraz Air Base, bombed the port of Al Faw, and, together with F-5s, destroyed the surrounding Iraqi SAM sites. One Iranian F-4 was hit by an Iraqi SA-7 surface-to-air missile but managed to return to base.

Now Iranian F-14 Tomcat formations joined the battle and, together with several F-4s, covered the withdrawal of Task Force 421 and bombed the Iraqi oil rigs, destroying an Iraqi Aérospatiale Super Frelon helicopter. After this, they attacked the Mina al Bakr terminal. The Iraqis scrambled seven MiG-23 Floggers to defend the terminal. Iranian F-4s then engaged the Iraqi MiG-23MSs and downed three. One Iranian F-4 was downed during the battle. Four Iraqi MiG-23BNs attacked the Joshan, which managed to shoot two down with SA-7 missiles. Shortly after, an Iranian F-14 downed one of the two surviving MiGs, forcing the last one to flee.

The destruction of Iraqi SAM sites and radar and monitoring equipment made it possible for the IRIAF to attack via southern Iraq again. The Iranian missile boat Joshan which took part in this operation was later sunk during Operation Praying Mantis by U.S. Navy warships.

As a guy who isn't really all that interested in the desert campaign in World War Two can someone kindly enlighten me as to what the draw is? I mean I love the LRDG but outside of that I lose interest.

It's often perceived as a "clean war" where no civilians were harmed and it was an honest clash of professionals. It has been romanticised in a similar fashion as the Age of Sail with similar parallels. Both the 8th Army and the Afrikakorps became cultural icons, mainly in the formers case because it was the only British army in the field at the time.

Of course it had it's share of cruelty and horror, but the North African campaign maintains a particular élan other theatres never had. I recommend you check out Don Featherstone's chapter about it in his Complete Wargaming or his book on tank warfare in the desert; he was a veteran and paints a vivid picture of it.

This is the first time Tigers and Shermans clashed.

Need I say more?

>Iran-Iraq war highlight
Nice! good stuff OP.
Any idea where those photos are from or the system they're using?

>P-15 Termit
Also known as the FUKKEN STYX MISSILE

Big flat areas, massive tank battles. A fairly "pure" maneuver war without any hedgerows and nowhere to hide.

I don't know if it's helpful to anybody, but I've found this site which has a currency calculator for late 17th/early 18th Century.
pierre-marteau.com/currency/converter.html

>Any idea where those photos are from or the system they're using?
seanavalgazing.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/enfilade-recap-part-2-my-games.html

Every time I read about history I want to start a new army, how do you guys deal with it?

Final Combat trove : m.mediafire.com/folder/q3szfk6ubgas7/Final-Co

someone could upload others supplements ? :)

I usually deal with it by writing a new ruleset based on the period, then starting a new army.

Keep reading more history of varying periods. The list of armies you want will swell to an impossible point, you can then look at the list rationally and pick the periods you are truly interested in.

>pipe cleaners for missles
that's fucking amazing

They're pretty effective and easy to make yourself

I do this, but instead of picking rationally, I tend to buy a single box of guys or a few metal figures for a period and see how I like it.

I got burned badly by the WGF samurai to jump blindly into buying a bunch of boxes again.

Ahhh. Then learn from that mistake. I did the same.

Also becoming incredibly frugal (stingy) helps slow me down.

anyone got any side view pictures of Prussians. I am looking for a particular angle and all i can seem to find is front or back, or occasionally a slightly off to the side picture where the detail im looking for is still obscured

Also holy fuck i am in way over my head. i have gone from painting ww2 bolt action and flames of war models to napoleonics. my body was not ready

My Secret Santa gift has arrived. Just waiting for December 1st. Might spruce it up with some extras.

The Rhodesia preview on their site contains every page of the book rather than only the first few pages as intended. The 2014 Ukraine supplement is well worth paying for if you're interested in that conflict

Waiting to open it or did you order something to send your counterpart? I havene't gotten an address to send to yet - just want to make sure it didn't get lost

It's for who ever I'm told to send it to. I had something specific in mind so I ordered it early, thinking it would take a while to actually get to me. Oh well, it's here now!

So word has it that Frank Chadwick is working with Compass Games to redo his Third World War series he did for GDW back in the 80s as one massive box set, updated and expanded upon.

the release is set for next year

I, for one am excited

Anyone know the organization of Soviet Naval infantry platoons in WW2, specifically in the Black Sea fleet? Naval Rifle units were organized identical to army units, were Naval Infantry units similar? I haven't been able to find anything below battalion level.

with updated info on soviet capabilities I hope

It's always winter when the soviets invade Scandinavia.

reposting

Many drilling campaigns in the mining industry are done in winter in places like Canada, Alaska, Minnesota etc since all the swamps are frozen so it's much easier to get around. Maybe similar?

The Red Army Handbook has nothing on them as far as I can tell (which is eh as the book has a good number of errors anyway) and typing "naval" into the Soviet sub-form on the Axis History boards gets me 80 pages of results. I suggest looking through those.

Why do bunkers have stepped openings? A tapered opening would be a lot easier to build

By starting a new army.

Tapered might introduce a shot trap which could funnel ricochets into the window?

To catch grenades

Some sniper teams have pistols. British and American off the top of my head. It seems it largely depends on how old their army book is.

thats the plan. as well as pulling back some NATO capabilities of units that didnt perform in RL as well as they thought they were going to. F19 and Tornados im looking at you. And reducing Airmobile ZOCs among others.

they are still discussing physical design..but there is a possibility they will go with 5/8" counters. which will make the maps huge and drive the price up...but im willing to pay it. these old eyes have a hard time seeing smaller counters

Good works for Roman civilian garb? If on a scholarly level, even better. I'm going to make myself some Song of Shadows and Dust gangs but will have to convert myself some figs.

CALL THE DOCTOR BECAUSE THIS ERECTION IS LASTING AT LEAST 96 HOURS

>Interested in the Arab Israeli war
>Look at flames of war
>Same problems that plague team Yankee plague that

Well fuck me.

Why did you expect anything different?

I'm guessing you're specifically meaning the 1813-15 period user
What you need to do is look up the prints of Richard Knötel, the urtext from which all Napoleonic uniform guides have been drawn ever since
You could google around a bit, they're easy to find (look up "Uniformenkunde"), but I do have two of his books here:
>German States Of The Napoleonic Wars
mediafire.com/file/vvsm8olqd5e4m26/Knotel - German States of the Napoleonic Wars.pdf
>Napoleon's Adversaries
mediafire.com/file/8fc6h8slq8yea8u/Knotel - Napoleon's Adversaries.pdf

They're not always completely accurate, especially with non-German units (he didn't have a lot of sources) but it should give you the profile shots you need

Yeah you're right user.

Question for the anons who published games: how many sales do you get, say, per month? On a scale of "zero" to "almost zero." I'm asking because I've been working on a passion project for 3+ months and my dad is about to go in for brain surgery so he won't be working for some time. I already have a day job, don't worry I'm not quite that delusional. This post may or may not make sense because I've been up for three days.

When you first release a game that looks good and appeals to people (no mean feat for either of those aspects), then it will sell a bit for the first few weeks, maybe up to a month if its a really good looking game that appeals to a lot of people (or covers something that no other game covers). After the initial sales period - often from people impulse buying new things - sales will taper off, down to 0 or down to almost 0.

Its like most new game products - sell a bit when you first release, then sales taper off to nothing, perhaps the odd sale every month or second month.

If you build up a variety of games (say more than 20?) then its likely the tapered off sales will still produce some kind of income - not great, but combined with regular new releases you might start getting somewhere.

Until you're established (which could take 5 - 10 - 20 years?), don't expect to make selling games your prime income.

each title I ever had published (I had an established company publish my works) had a print run of 1000 units each. I dont have the exact numbers by month but it took the publisher about 7 years to sell about 800 units each of my first 2 titles. The 2nd two titles were released in the last 2 years and I think he said he's sold about 200-300 of each title so far.

now to be fair I was only publishing modules for established game systems (ASL and ATS) and not original stand alone games. and for the record, I got paid crap for them. less than $500.

I am currently in talks and working with another company who is trying to release a series of self-contained squad level ziplock baggy games (priced about $12-$15 each) all using the same base system but each game covering a different battle. Think he was saying that my pay for doing each module pack will be about $300. Of course-thats just scenario and map design.

unless you are a high volume designer and made your bones in the industry so that companies are begging for you to design for them-your not gonna make money. As a fellow designer once told me "I design games to get a bit of money to invest in designing more games"

Self publish? Unless you have about $100k to start up a company your not gonna make it that way. MIGHT be able to do it if you go the PnP route...start up a website and sell the PDFs through there-cheaper than self printing each title. And you really need a good 10 titles under your belt before people start to notice you.

There are a few places online that you can have them sell your pdf through. Wargames Vault is one. Nordic Weasel I think might offer that service as well.

All my Falklands vessels arrived from NAVWAR - didn't take anywhere near as long as I thought it would.
1/3000 scale - turns out they're the exact same size as the markers I already use...
I'm increasing the bases a little so there's space for some waves and the label too. Got some Wessex and wasp helis from Tumbling Dice today as well, filling out the last of the Falklands aircraft I need, so I pretty much have everything for all future Falklands games!

This week at the club we will be playing Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) - Japanese vs. U.S. so I just finished painting 4 Ki-15s, 4 Ki-51s, and 6 P-47s. Should be a fun game - we already have 12 Zeros and 6 Wildcats, 6 Corsairs painted and ready to go so our Pacific theater forces are slowly growing (I have 2 huge bags of Pacific aircraft that I will eventually get around to basing/painting - probably after I finish the Gulf War aircraft for Missile Threat

someone for uploading The Road to Berlin (Bolt Action) ?

Didn't realize it was out already, curious to see what all is in it. Do they have rules for that one German force, I think it was the 9th army, that broke out towards the west so they could surrender to the allies?

>Do they have rules for that one German force, I think it was the 9th army, that broke out towards the west so they could surrender to the allies?
they actually do - the special rule is that the army surrenders as soon as the game starts

The Last Panther. The shit in that book was horrendous.

I don't really know much about this part of the war, hence why I was asking.

Is this one of those instances where myth has overshadowed reality? All I've really heard was they were ordered to return to Berlin, realized that was a terrible idea, and brokeout west to attempt to surrender to the Allies. Thought it was an interesting idea to build a German army around, a kind of last ditch force of random survivors using the last of their ammo and fuel, fighting one army tooth and nail just to surrender to a different one. Figured there'd be things where they'd have to see if they ran out of ammo everytime they fired or perhaps their morale was more unpredictable.

I remember watching some bit of a documentary claiming that they were filing across a river to surrender to the Americans, and the Americans could hear the German artillery across the river pounding Soviet positions and not doing anything to stop it. Sounded like a pretty unreal thing to read about.

What are some good sources to actually read about this kind of thing, since apparently the Last Panther is an unreliable source?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Halbe

"The most astonishing part of the story is not the numbers who died or were forced to surrender but the 25,000 soldiers and several thousand civilians who succeeded in getting through three lines of Soviet troops."

—Antony Beevor

It's not that they thought it was a bad idea to return to Berlin, but their lines were overrun and they were pushed into a pocket. In all reality they had no choice but to push west or be destroyed where they were.

As for sources, Antony Beevor's book is a really good one.

I just read a book on the ninth army, a swedish one mind you and the judgement was harsh on the german general. He paints the picture that the civilians were naught in his mind and that he was only concerned in breaking out since he knew no counter offensive was coming.

Use thin plasticard user

I probably should user, but I don't have any plasticard around. Looks like I'll have Thicc bases - on the plus side they're easy to move around without having to touch the actual miniature

That certainly is a huge plus. Nice boot

Generally I take a sharpie and blacken the edges of anything that sticks up off the table edge, like counters or the like. It just makes them look a little better without raw edges exposed, and it doesn't call attention to the edges in the same way that bright white does.

That's a pretty good idea, I was going to make the sides the same sea blue but black will give a good contrast. I might go for a middle ground of a dark blue - so there's some contrast but it doesn't accentuate the thiccness of the bases.

Its from this guys blog:
aaronevansmedia.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/creating-a-modern-naval-wargame/

Try Command Decision modern or FFoT

Try Guy Sajer's memior "Forgotten Soldier" The accuracy of some parts has been disputed but it's a great read either way. Really drives home how terrible the retreat after Kursk was

Go to a hardware store and get one of those plastic yard sale/keep out/danger etc signs. They're thin plastic and quite cheap.

Italy get destroyed at the start, good back and forth afterwards and memorable leaders. Everyone was at least favourable towards Rommel and Monty in their home countries.

Plus with hopes of not starting all the SS shit again, it's a front where Germany is clear of any wrongdoing, which is appealing for those that feel the need to start a sentence explaining their army of choice with "I'm playing Germany but...".

Wouldn't a lot of american infantry have pistols anyway? I doubt they'd want to essentially give all US stuff tough fighters but it would make sense for it to be part of their equipment.

Start at pg 253

>What are some good sources to actually read about this kind of thing, since apparently the Last Panther is an unreliable source?
It's pretty old now but Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle" is recommended
It was part of his trilogy with The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far

>it's a front where Germany is clear of any wrongdoing...
This is wrong but I agree, people think that it was a clean war and that draws people in.

This begging is getting obnoxious. It will be uploaded eventually, but if you need it THAT bad, just fucking buy the pdf.

Ok thanks guys I really appreciate it. I finished tigers in the mud a while back and I've been reading Hans von Luck's Panzer commander but it'll be interesting to read a story from the pic of an infantryman. I've also read Dmytri Loza's book.

I've been trying to find more eastern front accounts but most seem to be German. I understand the Soviets were mostly a peasant army and there was probably a bit of a lockdown on an information as the cold war rolled in but surely there are more Soviet accounts out there? It seems odd that there wouldn't be more widely known books, given how massive that conflict was.

Writing journals was strictly forbidden. The memoirs and journals that have been published were kept in secret and made after the Soviet Union fell. Dmitry Loza’s is a good example.

how were the wave effects done in the top ship?

Rolling some kind of irregular object coated in white paint over the surface?

What scale is that? Looks really impressive.

10mm

So they're still using polystyrene-based boards up in Berkshire eh?

Aye, 'tis naught but foamy green board all o'er the blasted heath

Not sure how many check the "Desired scans" at the beginning of each thread. Anyway, I know I have some Force on Force files on an old drive. I will check to see if any of the files I have on the drive are not already in the trove.

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead
The Face Of Battle
General d'Armee (TFL version)

it is a fantastic way to create a wider field of fire without making a funnel for ricochets.

I know that the game Longstreet has a built in campaign system, but are there any other ACW table top games that have campaign systems?

Yes, I know you can use the Longstreet campaign for other rule sets, because you can think of Longstreet as a campaign system with a simple set of gaming rules attached.

If you do use the Longstreet campaign with another set of rules, what ACW rule book (rules) would you use? Obviously, it would have to be a regimental level game.
+ Johnny Reb III
+ Fields of Honor
+ On to Richmond
+ Perry Miniatures ACW rules
+ Other?

don't forget Swordpoint.

Yeah that's my bad sorry user, I forgot to add it to the OP list

A small piece of natural sponge, you look for a sort of straight edge and dab them on in whatever direction you want. Note that the wake hasn't been painted, and the flag and name haven't been affixed either.

For reference

That somewhat new Warlord sprue with seated germans is awesome.

gangsofrome.com/collections/fighters

Where were you when historical wargaming reached GW pricing?

I think that Gangs o' Frome would be a more compelling game.

Not cheap at all.. but not GW prices yet.

Still, i will pass (and get some Romans and Gladiators from Foundry or Black Tree or convert some plastic minis)

I mean, each mini comes with a bunch of other bs (coins, card, die, tokens) and optional parts.
Still a bit pricey though imo.

>tfw no Bolt Action WWI or Cold War game

There's mods for both of those. It's not like there's much to change given how arbitrary it is as a system anyway.

This sadly.

BA is laudable in that it weans people off WH40K and into real wargames. That being said, it's far too granular and it's use of cookie cutter elements means it's barely able to faithfully represent WW2 combat.

A WW1 or Cold War version of BA would be indistinguishable from WW2 BA because the only changes would be what the units were labeled.