EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL /edhg/

MOAR LANDS Edition

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What's your favorite way to ramp out lands?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gruul-mom-smackdown/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/designer-dresses/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/talrand-traffic-director/
youtube.com/watch?v=MG4dx6yGnVA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tempt With Discovery is hysterical
>first time playing Titania
>grab Evolving Wilds
>convince rest of 5-man group I had almost no fetches
>they take the bait
>grab almost all my fetches and shit out an army of 5/3 Elementals
>immediately get laser focused, still win

I should bring that deck back

anyone here play nin? is she fun?

Westville Abbey is fine, hell I use Archangel of Thune in my Edgar deck because the synergy is so damn good. I'm thinking of going more tokens for Edgar though over just straight tribal.

Self milling then Splendid Reclamation or other weird ways. I honestly can't wait for a Jund lands commander, or a Jund commander that fits lands well. Right now I'm using Sek'Kuar for that, and Tasigur for BUG lands.

Ydris if you migrated here and left the old thread.

I'd personally tell them to fuck off, Arjun and Reflection aren't even broken or otherwise unobtainable cards. It's not like you're forcing your group into an arms race, they just need to learn to pack answers. Even if there was some inexplicable reason where those two cards were actually oppressive, a sample size of two games shouldn't be triggering them so much that they actually try to bully you into taking them out.

>play boros tajic indestructible tribal
>someone brings Titania
>politic that I'll Arma his lands when he's all ramped up and ready to go
>someone tries to doom blade Titania
>I don't even have arma in hand
>Boros Charm
>People ignore me because I'm Boros and I can't do shit
>As in spend all my mana making Tajic a giganigga
>draw arma during this, act like it was something lame
>they figure I'm worthless without titania
>they focus Titania and kill him
>they massively overextend
>Wrath, Arma and go nuts with Tajic Giganigga
>dismantle Tajic because that ain't happening again

What's your next deck?

I have yet to finish Sydri, Gishath and Mimeoplasm. Of those, I think I'm gonna work on Gishath next.

Very little ramp is as gratifying as pic related after self-milling hard and hitting almost only lands.

Kess storm. It's gunna be good, I hope.

Okay. Solid. I'd wait on dinos for another month. Not that long left, though my friend is enjoying his Gishath deck right now. Even bad dinosaurs are good when they are free.

>thread question
Harvest Season, Boundless Realms, Burgroning turn 1 is also hilarious

Can I get some feedback on my Wort list, made a few small changes in cheaper/more efficient of certain cards. Anyone got anything else to add

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gruul-mom-smackdown/

I mean.. uh

From scratch? Probably Chainer. I have a bunch of other things I want to work on though:

>resurrect Godo with Blade/Hammer combo
>completely rebuild Dralnu (get the pricey pieces once I get my taxes in)
>perfect Alesha
>see what other huge green bullshit comes out in Rivals to find space for in Seton

Yidris Storm, huh?

Repost: I've been playing gay dudes and Just realized my group hug deck really doesn't use red for anything
What are some good red cards?

Clearly some sliver nonsense.

Perfect in gay dudes

Nicol Bolas Specters

>Ydris if you migrated here and left the old thread.
Nope.

I might as well just tell you all. It was Oona but I built it monoblue.

I'm building a few decks. The first that'll probably get finished is Ezuri or Newzuri.

Oh, I thought you were still going on with the previous hand that had Exploration and a black card along with a blue one. Nice to know though.

I was kidding. It is almost certainly bog standard 5 color with either Queen or the tutor one at the helm.

Boldwyr Heavyweights
Death by Dragons
Hired Giant
Hunted Dragon
Mana Flare
Mana-Charged Dragon
Mass Hysteria
Rite of the Raging Storm
Tempt with Vengeance
Wild Evocation

W I N N E R

what is it??

Wizard clone grixis girl

Gay.

Nope. Not even close

Nicol Bolas Specters

Jeleva. If it is I want to see list

>Avoid magic for years because don't like expending millions for competitive decks
>Boyfriend finally convinces me to play EDH with cat deck
>Scarily check some threads, they're nice, fun and civilized.
>Play game, is nice, fun and civilized
Is this format some kind of miracle?
I'm looking to improve my kitty deck, researching for some advice, what are some essential counter for me to add? Combo decks are killing me

Nah, Marchesa Aggro-Control
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/designer-dresses/

It's beer-and-pretzels. There is a competitive environment, but it's nowhere near the main focus.

Also run some stax-y stuff. That generally fucks with combo pretty hard.

Two questions for you:

>1) What's your budget?
and
>2) What kind of things are wrecking you in particular?

The short answer is, unless you splash blue, you won't have counters, but that involves totally dismantling your tribal theme. The slightly longer answer is, there are always anti-meta choices, and ways to do it, but you risk being unfun as fuck, or spending a metric fuckton of money.

YOU'RE TACKY AND I HATE YOU

Sorry, I went out for a smoke and ended up getting like three, but my only theory is that not only the deck can get pretty hatey, it's my second game session with it and my turns might take too long once in a while, I don't think I played 5 games with it and only managed to win one because, as I've said, I was very lucky (not even lucky enough to win both, I got cyclone rifted by the guy who survived on his turn but at least it was fun since I had a spellbook so I played with a 27 card hand before losing)

BRB buying 60 of those so I can give a full playset to everyone who plays with a MLD faggot I know.

Just finishing up a cEDH Selva brostorm deck then I can finally build nothing but jank for the rest of my days
Thinking Mono white heliod theme deck

I actually have a big budget, mostly I use it to buy TTRPG manuals though, never use it on card stuff before.
I've read the non-tribal theme variant for arahbo but I'm really having fun testing different cats so I'm probably not going to use it.

I have a Mizzix and a Mairsil and want to build janky decks with both. What's some essential stuff to get?

That's disappointing

>Godo with Blade/Hammer combo
I just ran this on xmage, and the second it goes off, people piss their pants in fucking mortal terror. It's amazing.

You catch a massive - and I mean MASSIVE - amount of ate for it, be warned. Tutor up a lifelink Equip with the first swing.

Working on a good ol Vorel list. It's not gonna be anything special, just something fun. Had a Vorel deck years ago and absolutely loved it, so I'm rebuilding it. The entire point of the deck is to win with Darksteel Reactor. No other real gameplan.

Now, "big budget" is relative. Most "big budget" decks run fetches, shocks, mana crypt, and all variety of other expensive good stuff. They're usually around $1000, but I have some budget recommendations for you within the tribal theme to deal with combo decks.

>Aura Shards
Whenever you play a creature, you get to blow up an enchantment. Extremely strong against certain decks, mediocre against others.

>Naturalize/Nature's Claim
Both are very strong spot removal for problematic artifacts. Krosan Grip is an upgrade because of split second, but the higher mana cost makes it more difficult to pull off.

>Beast Within
Destroy target permanent. Anything. It's honestly amazing, and the 3/3 will rarely matter. It's also an instant.

>Asceticism
Pure value, your creatures get Hexproof and regenerate so you don't really have to worry about them dying if you have backup mana.

>Wrath of God/Descend Upon the Sinful
These will let you clear the board of creatures and I like Descend because it's exile based, so it gets rid of indestructible creatures. Nevinyrral's Disk will clear the board of everything, but it's a little slower.

>Path to Exile/ Swords to Plowshares
One mana, exile a creature. Simply put, amazing.

>Rest In Peace
Completely shuts off graveyard decks.

>Nevermore
Stops problematic cards, usually commanders. Phyrexian Revoker is also a good back up, despite not being a cat.

>Ghostly Prison/Sphere of Safety
These stop people from attacking you by taxing them.

>Solemnity
Shuts down things like Ghave and atraxa that pile on counters

>Blind Obedience
Stops instant-speed creature and artifact combos for one mana.

>slap down Titania
>cast Tempt with Discovery
>one guy gets a Maze
>another Glacial Chasm
>third one gets a Kor Haven

Why is my group such dickheads?

Nice thanks, I already got some of those, which is nice and somehow reassuring. I might have to test it a couple time to see what makes the cut.
>Path to Exile/ Swords to Plowshares
One mana, exile a creature. Simply put, amazing.
Will do.
>They're usually around $1000
That's precisely why I don't even get close to competitive, I know I'm capable of expending that much money, and I already spend more than enough in kickstarters and figures to have yet another expensive hobby.

That's when you strip mine the shit out of them with azusa+crucible and all the other multiple land drops per turn things like Oracle and exploration

Most everyone in my playgroup cut Tempt with Discovery because all anyone would do was grab their own strip mines

Now, I hit the character limit for my post, but what I wanted to say was that Ahrabo is very limited from a design perspective. You can run something like lost leonin with doublestrike for a quick and cheesy win, but generally Mirri is better because it dominates combat, and Nazhran is an equipment tutor on a stick for voltron decks.

If you REALLY want to level up your deck, I suggest things like Spirit of the Labyrinth, Eidlon of Rhetoric, Grand Abolisher, and Hushwing Gryff with Gaddock Teeg as the commander. Triumph of the Hordes will win you games, Garruk Wildspeaker is one of the top 10 planeswalkers of all time, and I love pathbreaker ibex/overwhelming stampede for massive damage with a bunch of dudes out there, but most of that stuff goes against your tribal theme.

I'm trying Nazhran next week, I'm missing some card though.

Thanks for the advice, for now I'll try some experimental shit to see what happen but I might get Garruk Wildspeaker eventually.

not him but as a nazhan player get blade of selves if you dont have it already

my absolute favorite
usually gets to be used 2-4 times

I saw it on a list already and got it.
I have most of the recommended stuff so far.

got a list? sounds fun as fuck

What about Mana Tithe and Lapse of Certainty?

>friend ONLY plays tribal decks
>try to give him tips like add more removal, some ramp etc.
>"No user i'm fine"
>his decks are basically 60 creatures, 30 lands and a couple enchantments/artifacts
How is someone so braindead at the easiest format

Somehow I think there's better option than taxing and removal since there's quite a lot of mana generating decks around to be honest.

idk, just get him to run primal surge and it'll be a legit deck

I want to build mono white Archangel Avacyn but don't know what strategy I want to use, thinking either flash, crowd control, or some weird hybrid with a flip-card subtheme

There are two philosophies around that:

>ramp harder and win faster than your opponents
or
>slow everyone down to a fucking crawl, then grind out victory

Honestly, G/W is not a fantastic combination if you're running everything I suggested and people are still donging on you. You have tons of mana but nothing to spend it on. You have okay token producers, but no real wincons. You have all the removal ever, but really situational card draw. The best decks of those colours in the format are Gaddock Teeg decks that focus on slowing everyone down, while tooling your deck around that. I personally run Mirri hatebears and the idea is to slow people down while tutoring out powerful equipment. It's fearsome because it's mostly designed to fuck over everyone else, while enabling my gameplan, and having ways to break symmetrical locks. Selvala, Explorer Returned is an alternative for a very fast ramp deck.

Your problem might lie in deckbuilding, as in sub-par lands, not enough tutors, or not enough removal, but I can't know without taking a look at the list.

Artifact Mutation is what I meant. My bad!

>sub-par lands
Most definitely, working on it.
>not enough tutors
Also working on it. Just bought Stoneforge mystic
> not enough removal
That's what I was looking mostly, so I took note from here.

Is not fail-proof but somehow is still very fun to play with. Trying to bypass most problems has become an adventure.

Rate my Talrand shitbrew. My playgroup hates hard control so I'm trying to make a viable deck with Talrand that does something other than Polymorph combo or chaining cantrips. The idea is to drop high-impact stuff on my turn and leave up 1-2 mana for cheap permission. I also threw in as many cards that involve the rest of the table as possible, without going for any group-hug effects.

Thinking about switching over to Locust God. The red splash might be worth it for Nin the Pain Artist and the passive token generation

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/talrand-traffic-director/

What does he run?

Some tribes can pull this off in casual groups

my friend started doing this with his dragon deck, now he runs counter spells/board wipes and shit like rhystic studies/cyclonic rift

if your friend is winning or doing stuff every game good on him but he should not be confused if hes getting last place every game

Currently building Rafiq. Am I a garbage person?

Yeah, but we both know it has nothing to do with rafiq.

That art will forever be a massive disappointment to me.

That being said... nah, not really.

I know what you mean, my dude. I always thought he was riding the lion, one-handing the buster sword. But nah, his armor is just bulky as fuck.

I built a Kruphix control deck a few months ago, and while I enjoy it immensely, no one else in my group shares the same sentiment. I think the problem is that once I lock down the game I don't actually win immediately; I typically durdle around until I get a Hydra Broodmaster or I can mill everyone out with X-cost draw spells.
I'm thinking of retooling it slightly to be Thrasios/Kydele, throw in some infinite mana enablers, and some wincons like Helix Pinnacle and Lab Man. Is this a good idea or am I just going to draw more hate?

>I always thought he was riding the lion, one-handing the buster sword. But nah, his armor is just bulky as fuck.
Fuck man, I thought that's what he was doing too. That ruined my day.

Very late reply, but you are correct. I thought Teferi's Response would give it away. I just assembled my Noyan Dar deck this week after asking for some advice in an earlier thread. So far it seems to have a bit of an issue with card draw. If I'm unlucky it can burn out pretty quickly if I don't draw the right instants/sorceries. Trail of Evidence helps tremendously and I wish I could have it every game. If I had a Rhystic study I would probably throw it in there.

The days of Rafiq being an instant target is gone. it's been power crept up hard.

It's just the fate of voltron in general. I wouldn't say much new removal was printed to hose it (if anything, voltron has only gotten more help). It's just that people have come to realize there is a large gap between killing one player turn 5 or so, and actually winning the game.

Constantly tweaking and tuning my Ramos and Vig decks but want to build either Kami of the Crescent Moon or Sheoldred for mono color action. any sweet lists for either of those commanders?

>Draft Eternal Masters with friends
>Pull a Mana Crypt

I can't wait for this to kill me in a game one day. No seriously I want it to happen.

I played a mana crypt against a purph burn. It didn't help that I bolted myself several times.

Depends if people are okay with competitive decks. Sometimes it's the boring play that gets to people, rather than a quick deck that can be dealt with targeted disruption.

>Play Mana Crypt in a game a while ago
>Keep losing every single coin toss
>Lose a shit ton of life from it on top of life i've lost from other players
>Try to destroy it with my own spells
>Blue players spitefully counter my artifact removal
>die

Mana Crypt is great but it's also a double edged sword.

Can I play with these in EDH?

youtube.com/watch?v=MG4dx6yGnVA

Should be easy. As soon as you see the colors, someone will probably guess it within the first three tries.

Are there any dumb gimmick commanders similar to doran? I need a new deck

Would gahiji make a decent enchantress commander?

So I'm new to commander and want to be a Johnny, so I've been trying to build my own sweet deck, problem is, I discovered EDHRec and now I simply cannot use it to look at commanders and find myself just copy+pasting whatever is on there.

I just wanted to build my own edh deck but I only just started playing and didn't know any older cards (pre oath of gatewatch)

I feel like EDHRec has poisoned my brain now, I'm addicted to it.

Did I fuck up Veeky Forums?

I see the vent and got confused. Ayli is obvious though, everyone pairs her with the lotto Goddless Shrine

No, because you can still think of interesting themes or gimmicks, while EDHrec can be used as a suggestion to things that are a good addition - it's just a suggestion, nothing more.
If you wanna get creative go on the gatherer and search via text using apostrophes on certain phrases you want. I've been looking at cards that have activated discard abilities and stuff that relates to power 2 or less to see what comes up for stuff I'm making.

That's try #1, the obvious one.

What's a good commander if I like playing around/reacting to my opponents at instant speed? Something where I always have a few options to pick from and can run a bunch of cantrips or cheap card draw
I do NOT want storm because I'm too socially aware to play solitaire in front of 3-5 other people

a lot of the knight's in Bant ride on lion's he just not in this art.

Talrand and stuff a bunch of counters and cantrips

>tfw no good art of your commander

What’s his/her name?

He has the the right colors for it. Throw in the 3 vows for maximum effect.

>

Thanks user,

I'l actually try that gatherer search right now. I've been trying to find other cards with "fight" on them that aren't just mono green (hoping for some in white/red)

There definitely should be some in red at least, along with enchantments possibly having some. Get creative as hell, it feels good.