Necron?

Necron?
New-cron?

What are you asking, exactly?

I think the question is Oldcrons v. Newcrons.
I am whole-heartedly an Oldcron fan. Pseudo-Lovecraftian Kill-Bots who destroyed their society for revenge are menacing antagonists, wacky space Tomb Kings are not.
Frankly, though, I wish the fluff made more of an effort to mesh the two. In my head, there are rogue C'tan Shards still out there, subverting Tomb Worlds and trying to reassemble themselves. It'd be cool if there were a number of "Loyalist" Tomb Worlds that sided with the C'tan when the Silent King rebelled, who managed to go into hiding and are now trying to free their gods.
Also, how is the great stasis supposed to have worked in nufluff? Did the Enslaver Plague still happen? I always thought that was a super cool piece of fluff.

>revenge
Stupid, meant to say out of hubris and jealousy. I suppose revenge might have come into it at some point too. The point is, they were an incredibly advanced society that was still driven by really petty, bitter feelings. I always like antagonists that are a mix of frightening and pathetic.

>Wacky
Something about describing them like that makes me VERY happy

Wacky, zany, razzmatazz lovin necrons

Just out havin' a loagh ass newcrons.

>retcon the Necrons into having personality
>do your best to make them as irrelevant as possible to the setting's story to avoid writing them as much as possible

What did GW mean by this? It is as if they are embarrassed by the Necrons.

They gave them personality in a really dumb way, and nobody asking for personality was going to play Necrons anyway.

I think the change was good. There's not really much you can do with unthinking, unfeeling robot zombies fluff wise, they're just not that interesting. The Necrons really needed some individuality and competing motivations to make them more than just "They're robots. And they want to kill everything. That's it."

There was actually a lot more to then in 3E than you think.
Go give their old codex a read.

I want you to compare the Necrons main story involvement in 3th ED to what it's now since 5th ED. It's minimal to none. Even GW thinks that the Newcrons are not interesting enough to write about. What the developer does his best avoid a game faction, you know that the faction sucks.

tl;dr the change was bad.

>metal Tyranids
>flavorful society of ancient warriors awakening from a long slumber to impose their wills upon a galaxy of upstarts and degenerates.

No contest

Necrons are one of the only races that could legitmently alter the setting.

But we can’t have that can we?

Better never write about them ever and go jerk-off space marines for the millionth time.

Don't throw this at the marines because it's not true.

Aledari, T'au, Tyranids are written about and expanded on on a regular fashion. It's only the Necrons that are get left behind and once again It's for a good reason. Newcrons are embarrassment so GW does only the minimum amount of effort for them every blue moon.

>>metal Tyranids

That's not true. Oldcron lords had their own personalities and were separated into four factions. Their goal was conquer the galaxy for the C'tan and enslave the mortal races.

It’s the same issue with the alpha legion and lorgar.

If they did something they would change the setting so GW says “he’s contemplating the warp”

WHO CAN POSSIBLY SPEND TENS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS CONTEMPLATING THE WARP? I’D BE DONE WITH THAT NOISE IN A MONTH

False equivalence galore.

>alpha legion

Alpha Legions got plenty of novels and content in both HH and 40K.

Lorgar was as much active as most of the traitor Primarchs before the Great Rift.

Honestly I’d just have the ultramarines stumble across a tomb-world with a competent dynasty.

Necrons will become the new big bad

screencap this post

You know what they could have made?
Cybrids from star-siege.
Those guys beat necrons in every way except for wackiness potential.

Holy fuck you played star siege.
Be my dad please.

haha, no, no, I only played the peripheral game mission force cyberstorm. I couldn't get starseige to work, so I watched it.

Speaking of, mission force cyberstorm is fucking hype.

additionally, cybrids were fucking awesome.
They did all sorts of messed up shit to get at those animal: humans.

Oldcrons had personality already, they just didn't show it