Why aren't evil dungeon-dwelling cat people a type of monsterous race in fantasy worlds?

Why aren't evil dungeon-dwelling cat people a type of monsterous race in fantasy worlds?

Not necessarily playable, just evil and in dungeons. Their eyes fit well in darkness like that.

Because only 40% of the population is actually creative user at any level, user.

Where are you getting the 40% figure from?

Bugbears were intended as Lynxpeople, but brainlets like you have probably never even heard of that.

Rakshasa?

this desu

Too powerful. You'd want something more minor as a generalist cat race, plus a "race" of highly powered demonic beings like Rakashasa feels a bit bad for setting immersion.

Dwell in dungeons, hunt rat people and kobalds, evil because of their tendency to play with injured victims and the like.

Not everyone is a furry user

Actually it sounds pretty rad, but a lot of people like cats, so they have a harder time being "the evil race" than ratmen or the like.
Also they're pretty independent, rather than working together

To answer your question, they used to be.
You see, during the AD&D (and 1st edition D&D) era, there was the Tabaxi, an aztec-like cat people from Maztica (in the Forgotten Realms setting) who were prone to blood rituals and human sacrifices. They were trully, disturbing and evil dungeon dwelling beings brought by the Fiend Folio book.
Fastforward to forever, and they came back on the 5th edition of D&D, as a "new" playable race in the Volo's Guide to Monsters book, but now they are watered down and sugar coated as "quirky and curious".
I personally blame anime for that.

See I was thinking about the independent thing, and generally you are right but in certain circumstances you can get larger groups of cats, farm cats and street cats can end up being in fairly large groups. Then there's lion prides of course.

So just make them not demonic

Rakshasa could just be Hindi cats.

hmm. yes that will do nicely. stealing my own idea.

There exist low level Rakshasa.

Also, eberron disagrees.

Surely you know that 76% of all stastistics are made up on the spot, 17% are repeated from things that people have heard but were probably wrong, 8% genuine statistics, and 3% people realizing that the numbers I just presented add up to more than 100?

>Aztec cat people dragging humans off into the dark to sacrifice them
Refluff Bugbears and you got some bitchin' plothooks built in.

>what are gnolls?
??

Hyena.

They're called goblins kiddo.

Because cats that are dangerous to humans tend to be solitary. Lions are an exception, but lions are often thought as something very different from a cat anyway.
Hence it's more likely for a cat-man monster to be a high-level solo threat (like a Rakshasa) than a pack or horde type animal man like Gnolls, rat-folk or pig-orcs.

Pretty good point desu. Could make a race of solo-lurker cats who hang out in dungeons though.

>Why aren't evil dungeon-dwelling cat people a type of monsterous race in fantasy worlds?
Because you haven't written your book/published your setting yet, user