Hello, Veeky Forums. I was wondering how safe of an investment precious metals would be? Particularly silver coins...

Hello, Veeky Forums. I was wondering how safe of an investment precious metals would be? Particularly silver coins. New to this whole thing and I finally have a job with a steady income.

sorry lad this board is only for discussing imaginary investments

>wanting something physical that everybodys touched making it dirty and used

B-but I want an investment I can touch...

>dirty and used
Like your waifu?

buy a safe, preferably a floor or wall safe

make sure its bullion and not shitty collector coins

keep them clean

buy a bunch every week

consider gold as well, since it is smaller and holds moar value

use crypto profits to buy the bullion and wagecuck savings

you're welcome

Define "safe." Silver has been used as a store of value for thousands of years. When silver was demonetized by the US in 1873, it lost value relative to gold. It also wen't down during the Great Depression while gold wen't up about 60%. Gold wen't up again during WWII and the Korean War. During the 1960's, silver's value started to increase due to all the money-printing from the 40's-60's. In 1973 we wen't off the gold standard, and both gold and silver skyrocketed. Silver did about twice as well as gold. During the bear market from 1980-2001, silver wen't down alot more than gold. Silver is still down relative to gold.

There is less physical silver above ground than gold. In the ground, there is 10X as much silver as gold. The reason for this is that Western central banks all sold off their silver stockpiles about 100-60 years ago. Industrial demand has resulted in alot of silver being used to make all kinds of consumer, medical and industrial products that were later thrown away. The silver was not recycled because the silver price was so low. Gold on the other hand, has always been too expensive to throw away. This has resulted in a very unusual situation with available silver supplies, that could result in a physical silver shortage.

Summary: During deflation, you want gold. During inflation you want silver. When the economy is doing well, and interest rates are higher than money supply growth, you want stocks, bonds and real estate.

I believe we are going to experience inflation in the next few years because of all the money-printing of the last 20 years.

Precious metals are investments for retards. Might as well buy an index fund since you apparently have the risk tolerance of an old woman.

by smaller i meant just holds moar value for the same size

Anime poster BTFO

comparesilverprices.com

I usually buy Eagles, Maples or pre-1965 quarters and dimes, since those are easiest to sell. Name-brand bars and rounds are OK, but some coin shops will pretend like they don't recognize the brand, or that the brand isn't desireable when you go to sell.

Gold and silver mining stocks outperform the metal by several times during a bull market. During the Great Depression, gold mining stocks went up around 7X.

this
at least OP wont kill himself when fiat looses value due to inflation then sell all his crypto for as much useless fiat as he can causing crypto to crash, OP is planning for the long run, being smart

Invest in a lithium or cobalt. A metal that actually has use for something

Gold and Silver are just primitive shinybois

ur a fuckin retard

So should I go for something like this or just silver bars?

Silver is currently on accumulation phase, it's not like crypto when a bublle pop in a month or two but we could easily see silver gain a lot of value during 2019-2020 especially with the economic crisis coming (not kidding)
Silver il useful, has value.
If I was rich I would buy it as much as I can (with some gold and other metals)

i would buy those and also 1kg bars for safe keeping

this, silver is VERY undervalued and its only a matter of time before it reaches the price of gold

My grandma actually gave us an oz of silver this year for Christmas.
Got me looking at precious metals, looks like platinum is extremely undervalued right now?

What insights do you have on platinum and palladium?

Buy units of 1oz or smaller because it's easier to sell. if silver is $1,000oz, it will be easier to sell a single ounce than a 10oz bar.

not much platinum on earth, and about the same price as gold, so yeah its under valued but when asteroid mining becomes a thing there will be more platinum making the price either stay the same or go down

there is an asteroid close to earth that has a few quintillion dollars worth of platinum, you better learn rocket science real quick user if you want a piece of that pie

I am a PE mechanical engineer. I unfortunately don't deal with anything exciting like rockets or space, but I am a master of control theory and design.

Any companies proposing to grab this assturd?

if i were u i would research which of these companies are the most developed and then apply for a job

Listen to me a seasoned and experienced coin and silver hoarder...

Buy Scrap Silver Coins.
Silver Quarters, Half Dollars (-1965)
American Eagle
Mexican Silver Libertadores
Bullion Coins from mint
Junk Morgan Silver Coins
Junk Peace Dollar Coins
Junk Mercury Dimes, Bust quarters

Do not buy "proof" "collectible" "historical" coins from traders or the US Mint. The price up on these coins will ruin your investment. Worthless for the US Mint and you need vast experience and knowledge to trade historical coins and not be scammed.

Nevertheless, proud of you for investing your money on real assets that will stand against inflation and not digital pokemons and pajeet pyramid schemes.

So basically just don't pay a shit load over spot for a coin with a fancy little design on it? That's fine. I'm not buying silver because it looks pretty.

I don't follow platinum or palladium much because they are industrial metals. I view gold and silver as currencies.

I just looked up the price of palladium and was surprised that it is more expensive than Platinum. I would have to do more research into why this happened, but it could be the result of some new technology creating alot of industrial/consumer demand for palladium. In the mid-2000's, platinum and palladium prices wen't up because vehicle emissions regulations required cars to have catalytic converters, which use platinum or palladium.

Historically, platinum is more expensive than gold, but it occasionally reaches parity with gold or even becomes cheaper. In those cases, it has historically been smart to buy platinum. I have never looked into historical trends and ratios about palladium.

Since platinum and palladium are industrial metals, at any given time, there is very little above ground supply compared to annual production. It is mined, then used, mined, then used, etc - but very little is stockpiled long-term. Consider other commodities, such as Copper: at any given time there is only a few weeks or months supply of copper above ground. Crude oil: same thing. Wheat: it is harvested, then eaten, harvested, then eaten, etc. This is why their price can fluctuate wildly when production increases/decreases or when there is a sudden rise or fall in demand.

Gold is different. The amount of above-ground gold is about 40-50X larger than annual gold production. This results in a very stable value of gold and is the reason why it can be used as money. If all the gold mines in the world would cease production, we would still have 40-50 years of gold left at current rates of consumption. If all the mines in the world doubled their production, it would only increase gold stockpiles by 4% rather than the usual 2% per year. There used to be massive above ground silver stockpiles, but as I explained earlier, there is currently less silver than gold above ground.

The banks/governments have used the futures markets and other paper instruments to suppress the price of gold since at least the mid-90's. Eventually they will need to allow gold and silver to re-value in order to reset the financial system.

Globally, there is about $90T in paper and electronic currency, $80T in stocks, $200T in bonds, and $200T in real estate. A certain percentage of this money should have already moved into gold and silver, but the suppression scheme has been effective. I also believe many Trillions will move into crypto currencies, especially Ripple because it complies with banking regulations.

I also believe that they will bring gold back into the global currency system in some capacity in order to restore confidence. China and Russia have been stockpiling gold for at least 10 years.

BRICS will dominate in 10-50 years, the west will fall hard at this rate

>Buy Scrap Silver Coins.
>Silver Quarters, Half Dollars (-1965)
>American Eagle
>Junk Mercury Dimes, Bust quarters

These are my preference too. When you go to sell them nobody can BS you and pretend like they aren't in the highest demand, or that they don't recognize the mint.

They've been stockpiling gold while the West has been selling gold. The BRICS are very well prepared for a collapse of the West.

Do years matter for silver eagles?

99% of the time, No. There are a few years, proofs, mint marks, that are less common, but no serious coin collectors care. If you want to make money in numismatics the easy way, you need to drop $100k or more per coin. Those coins are actually rare and outperform the S&P in the long-run. Insanely wealthy people collect those coins and they have plenty of money to spare.

Making money in numismatics the hard way is to become a full-blown autist or coin dealer.

Pic related is $4M.

Welp, I just ordered 20 silver eagles. Hopefully this works out well.

Nice!