Food in your settings / games

Food, and not the kind that's the chips you eat at the game table people don't really do that right?

This applies to both players and DMs, but in any of the games you're playing or running, is there any involvement of food? hunger? Most importantly cooking? Has anyone ever even remembered eating had to be a thing or is it just "you eat some of those rations you bought last whenever" Do you reward your players for being creative with food? How many of you fucks started doing it because things like dungeon meshi or vanillaware? Give me all those juicy details, or just dump pics with me thats fine too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1PLv76rQiq0
youtube.com/watch?v=ckELeAo-Lzo
youtube.com/watch?v=tVuWJ54CjpE
youtube.com/watch?v=zPcwADGvGRo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here, have this.

Dragon's Crown is a wonderful source of fantasy food.

That was going to be my next post but I'm glad someone else got on it, I really wish delicious rpg foods got rep as good as dragons crown gave it.

Same, I don't understand why there isn't more.

I’m playing a barbarian who’s a chef. His ancestor worship involves perfecting the signature dishes of his ancestors and getting the recipes tattooed on his skin. We haven’t played much yet but I’m going to have a cookbook with me when we play and try to prepare any beasts we slay and goodies we find.

Masamune did it great too, but that's mostly all weebfoods, vanillaware knows what people love.

That sounds absolutely radical, I love tying it in to ancestry worship, hope you get a chance to expand on it more in your game

>Myconid
>Sapient creature
This is borderline canibalism. I don't like you.

Jesus Christ.
>Minotaur
>Harpy
We kill people like you, over here.

2weeb4me

I bet you've never even had spiced harpy wings either, weakling

>Forced to end anothers life
>Let their body spoil and go to waste instead of being thankful for the meal
The gods look on you in shame

For how many dungeon meshi reaction images I see around Veeky Forums I'm surprised this is still such a rare subject.

Yeah we’ve only been able to do like three sessions as a little break from our main campaign but everyone’s really excited to get back into that game since the characters are a little sillier than our current ones. Definitely gonna try to spice up our rations into the good stuff you’re posting too since our DM is big on tracking rations and shit.
Definitely hope so, too. It’s 5e so I decided to go with the Ancestral Guardians subclass instead of just boring ol bear totem. He’s devoted to his craft, his family’s legacy, and the orcish god of feasting. Gonna describe the Spirit Shield as enemies being parried by Aunt Ginny’s rolling pin or having to reach through Uncle Thockkmarr’s burning spectral soup and such.

here have a orc ration

I fucking hate cheese (except for the soft kind like mozzarella and mascarpone). Living in middle ages would be torture

Hearty and huge, just as it should be.

I love absolutely everything about this, and very much hope to see stories of your gourmand in a greentext thread one day.

I've never seen this one in the series before, did they do a part two?

Last I have of this series

I use the gritty rest variant for 5e, so I let my party regain some hit die by eating/drinking.

Thank god I'm having lunch in 20 minutes, seeing this thread a few hours earlier would have killed me

>eating ginger raw

wow, duergars are hardcore

I used to hate cheese too, I think its one of those things which you have to grow a taste for it.

Even If they did, I don't have it.

Ive tried to incorporate more in-depth details on food before in my setting, but it came down to trying to figure out what classes would need what more, and it just kind of boiled down to "Fighters and such would need tons of carbs for how much work they put in" "Well shit if magic casting is physically exerting, wizards probably need lots of carbs too"

basically carbs

>Century egg
Of course they would.

They don't give a fuck, senpai.

Now I am imagining a Veeky Forums wizard calculating his carbs and working on dem gains.

"Please god wizard just shoot the troll with a fireball we're going to die"
But he could not, for he knew that would be cardio, and kill his gains.

fuck this one never fails to make me hungry

>wizard
>gains
Choose one user.

Some sweets and that's everything I've got.

I had a really great game that was supposed to be set around 1920 at a field base. Faux-Silverplate photographs and faux-typewritten reports.

For food, very strong coffee was served with canned condensed milk with a period-accurate label, venison jerky and hardtack biscuits topping french onion soup.

It was easy and fun to talk about the game and mission over the props and food.

Might as well post the lame one.

Arcane gains my son.

>raisins
what sort of chaotic evil devilry is this?

You can't eat my MM waifu user!

I always wondered how to implent in game this shit. Fellowship has the cute (onepiece-ish) idea of retaking some HP when eating together and having a good time, but I'd really like a crounchier thing for different food actually eaten from monsters/in dungeons/around the world

Stat buffs, or other side effects for certain foods? Im going to try something like that because a player of mine has shown interest in his character having a cooking focus.

That romanesco broccoli is anything but wild, clearly the adventurer whose rations those are stole that shit from a farm and a wealthy farm at that.

That sounds really damn immersive. Hats off to you and your group.

Holy shit that's amazing. Was it everyone working together to make it happen or was the GM just the bro-est of lads ever to walk the earth?

It's a lot of fun, in this case I was helping the GM with food and hosting.

That was the best we've done. I also did a "Shadowrun" meal with Japanese noodle cups, candy and snacks along with cocktails in super bright colors but that was basically just stopping at a International market.

Normally for fantasy games I just make some fresh bread and some kind of stew, sliced apples and cheese to feel "vaguely Tolkien" and "super cheap because I'm poor".

Townsends is vital to anyone looking to write about or cook authentic old-fashioned food.

youtube.com/watch?v=1PLv76rQiq0
youtube.com/watch?v=ckELeAo-Lzo
youtube.com/watch?v=tVuWJ54CjpE

I did the "camp meal" but the GM did the handouts and helped me find/print the label for the condensed milk.

Oh, and mugs of wine and mead, because wine is cheap and one of the players is almost always willing to bring mead. Somehow, wine out of a mug always seems much more 'fantasy' then out of a glass.

Tought about that but seems quite univentive, at least to me.
Respect, user.

I feel like buffs and HP gain are the only two things you can really do with food, desu, I'm desperately trying to find a better alternative before my next game though.

It might help keep characters sane, if it's a game where that's a concern.

>Eat some food the character has fond memories of
>Helps them regain a good bit of sanity

saving this one, great stuff user.

I've not used food much but I tried to make it part of the experience when the PCs visited another world. They are used to fresh fruit and vegetables and plenty of meat but the planet they were visiting had a ravaged atmosphere and had to make do with what was economical to produce in large amounts to feed the population.

As a result, I tried to add more descriptions of the food with a lot of stuff like flavoured noodles/fried tofu and one of the NPCs who grew up poor going crazy over the fact they handed her an apple like it was nothing out of the ordinary.

>Implying you can't muscle wizard.

>Give to target
>Person is sane and bites instead of breaking.

D&D 4e had a really good class of 'Items' (They were not but they worked the same) called Boons. They were grandmaster training or divine blessings that lasted a while and faded.

I feel like you could very easily have that work for an RPG as the food thing (With the 'You only get one' restriction feeling very natural when you can't just keep forcing food into your gut) with higher than base food giving you a day-long effect.

A big thing though would be the fact that nutrition is only a part of food, it's emotional effects also matter. So you could easily have something like:

>Comfort Food
>Effect: You may save against Fear and Charm Effects at the start of your turn rather than the end and gain resistance = 1/2 level against psychic damage.

>Sane
>Bites chocolate bar

I usually ask my players what sorta rations they usually buy. I also have a dmpc that is a cook with the Gourmand feat. But they took my description of cooking for fluff and not buffs.

Got some home brewed stuff that awards effects similar to potions and/or gives bonuses in constitution and temporary health.

How do I get my players to eat a healthy meal or forage/hunt for something themselves?

I figure I could have goblins steal their rations but I'm like 70% sure my group would just go after them for their crackers and dried meat rather than search for fresher food themselves.

I've been working on some common food and drink items, mostly just drinks, really, for my campaign if anyone's interested in me sharing.

Also, I normally use James Townsend and Son Youtube for reference.

youtube.com/watch?v=zPcwADGvGRo

It's a trap.

SOP for chocolate rations is to break them. Each square is x amount of time calories.

Additionally, the chances of you surviving are slim, and no one wants to loot a half eaten bar off a corpse you flithy savage.

>He gets chocolate all over his fingers like a fucking retard

>Eating melty chocolate
You cant fool me you cheeky fucking fire elemental

oh god I haven't had unagi in ages, that looks delicious.

>Seafood
>Every other Ration lasts very long
>This is fresh seafood

anything reptilian would probably eat half rotten seafood anyways

>not splitting them while they're still in the packet
Low IQ

>Breaking the bars
>When you can just bite into it and save yourself the trouble.

>What is the most comfortable size of a piece of chocolate?

The entire bar

You're a big guy

>harpy egg omelet
have you no shame?

>implying the adventurer isn't already a wealthy farm owner
How else did you think he afforded his mithril plate armor and longsword?

Maybe you should ask this guy about his system

Does anyone know of any systems that add different buffs for eating different monsters like dragon gives a strength increase for a bit and stuff like that

>Broodwich
>This mysterious object from hell cannot be deconstructed or taken apart except for when it can.
>It is the most delicious sandwich in the world except for that it lacks bacon and has sun-dried tomatoes. Which might be a bonus to some but others might think it's kind of annoying.
>Anyone who consumes the broodwich is instantly taken to an alternate dimension where Jerry shows up.
>Jerry is always about 10 levels higher than the PC who eats it and he has an axe.
>If the PC's merely taken a bite of the broodwich he's only teleported there long enough for Jerry to threaten him.
>If he eats all of it then he's teleported there permanently.
>If the PC deconstructs the broodwich a mysterious voice will force him to either marry a skeleton or have brain surgery where he (in his lobotomized form) will obey all of the voices commands which will mostly be to finish off the Broodwich so Jerry can kill him.
>The Session ends before Jerry can do it.

>not the kind that's the chips you eat at the game table
>the chips you eat
>eating chips

Who's this semen demon??

Sleepy, a mage servant (specifically, her cook) for one of the Fallen Kings of Pixv Fantasia.

What is the worst meal any of your characters have had the displeasure of eating?

>snail soup
That's going to make you very sick unless they're sea-snails or snails bred in captivity for food use.

Why? Possibility of parasites? I'm pretty sure boiling tends to kill them.

actual shit

btw im thinking of putting some type of food mechanic into my session, like if you eat some really good lamb steak you get a bonus to con for 4 hours or so, like that new final fantasy game with the ramen noodles and gladio or w/e his name is

>cornbread
>in fantasy settings

What are you made of, lava ? Just fucking break off a piece and put the chocolate down lava-boy

I love how nu tg has totally forgotten this meme. We used to swap meatbread recipes, damn it.

that actually looks like a decent lunch especially if you fry up those morel mushrooms.

Dont stuffed peppers strike you as being a bit dainty for orcs?

>Meanwhile, in Chechnya