/gengen/ Genesys General

FFG paid me good money for this thread, so...

>Nov 30!
Goodbye GURPS! Goodbye FATE! Goodbye D&D! Goodbye WoD! Goodbye 40K!

>Previous thread
>TOPIC OF THE DAY
What are you going to do with your GURPS collection now that Genesys makes it obsolete?

>Dice roller for poorfags
genesys.skyjedi.com/

>FFG Community Forums
community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/527-genesys/

>There is a reddit group but meh
>There is a discord too but meh

>Known Compatible Homebrews & Conversions
pastebin.com/3L0R2ttq

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/arzm4yqjtb6vhhn/AABty5R3unR7S3vib9dErgCMa?dl=0
mega.nz/#F!AkJjEIRK!IeDPFgL1rYe04UcxPRn8Zw
avatar-the-second-age.tumblr.com
genesys.skyjedi.com/
imgur.com/a/s8aCz
imgur.com/a/Arq4a
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>First for try my game

Here are links to Avatar: The Second Age

Dropbox: dropbox.com/sh/arzm4yqjtb6vhhn/AABty5R3unR7S3vib9dErgCMa?dl=0

MEGA: mega.nz/#F!AkJjEIRK!IeDPFgL1rYe04UcxPRn8Zw

Blog: avatar-the-second-age.tumblr.com

>my game
Well, FFG conversion. Not MY game, since its all someone else's IP

I can't wait for the Genesys book, as a lot of stuff is going to be adapted and reworked. I started genericizing Star Wars rules on my own last year just for this game, and so Genesys coming out is like a dream come true.

OP if you're going to make new threads you could at least post the pictures we have already, like the table of contents and shit.

Also it can't hurt to use different images in the OP.

That old thread had different image.

>Twilight Imperium

Well, that's the only unconfirmed FFG setting I was hoping for. Turtle diplomacy, here I come.

OP of the OP Here. I was planning of saving a Repo for images in a PDF. Will post once it is up.

I got scooped, was going to post the new thread once the old died. But it is good to see my /gengen/ style is taking the lead.

OPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP
tripcode egofag if you want to copyright ur threads

He literally says he's glad the format's happening independent of him, you dyslexic motherfucker.

>people are getting their books today in the mail
>UPS changes their delivery date from 29th to Unknown due to "unexpected bullshit"

This game seems interesting, but please explain to me why I would play this over GURPS / FATE

Donno.
The unique way dice pools resolve for one. Me and my players find it very fun to play. Light yet has some crunch.
Also its leaning towards Narrative play over detailed rules makes for some good moments. A lot of "Fuck it, lets just roll this".

Give the rules a read through (the Star Wars books for now) and see what you think.

Honestly this seems to be kind of like...if FATE and Savage Worlds had a fuckbaby. That on its own is intriguing enough, though.

Can one of you dudes with a book please post a picture of any of the talent pyramids?

I just want the basic layout/visual. .

If you like the dice. Can't convince people to play GURPS (a chore in and of itself unless you find randoms here on Veeky Forums that'll probably disappear after a single session if you even get that far).

To my understanding, there is no pyramid/tree like it was with SWRPG, it's just that you buy whichever talents you want, and then you just need to follow any necessary prerequisites, (like if there's an improved version of the talent, it probably requires the original talent), and you need more of the lower tier than the tier you're buying into (to buy your first tier 3 talent, you need to already have 3 tier 1s, 2 tier 2s, and no tier 3s).

Yea, I want to see their visual design, not their mechanical function. Thats why I need a picture.

Unless they are literally just listed in text format with no visual design at all, in which case ill make my own.

It's just text.

And before it gets asked by any anons, this isn't my own picture, it's from a previous thread.

Lame. Ill have to make my own talent pyramid visuals. Makes it easier for players and easier to divide into sections.

Not my pic but it looks nice

I'm glad you like my photo. You're quick I just took this image lol

Accessibility

If you've ever played GURPS, or tried to GM it, you will know what a fucking hurdle there is to overcome to get someone to play GURPS. Add to that how the game has become increasingly irrelevant over the past decade, and there's very little reason to play it.

The Genesys system on the other hand is very easy to approach for a beginner, and from what we've seen is far handier to homebrew compared to the endless statblocks, tables and splatbooks that comprise the GURPS autism experience.

Got teh Veeky Forums leaks collected

Because it's 2017 and it's better.

To the guy who wanted the Mass Effect Conversion. Link has been updated in the pastebin.

More built-in crunch than FATE or Savage Worlds so it's easier to play out of the box but less crunch than GURPS or HERO so there isn't a huge learning curve

I'm perfectly happy to believe the system is better than GURPS. That's not too difficult. BRP is a better system than GURPS. Plenty of systems have been better than GURPS. None of them actually do what GURPS does for me.

Genesys isn't going to replace GURPS because, like every other generic system, it doesn't have the support that GURPS has. There will never be a decent library of Genesys sourcebooks written by authors who actually know their shit. If you are lucky, there will be some genre support for the more popular ones, maybe up to BRP standards.

Also, the main advantage of generic systems is you don't need to learn a new system. The last thing I want is more generic systems to choose from.

Those are all valid reasons to stick with GURPS. If you are having fun with it then awesome! But some of us may prefer a Genesys type system.

Hopefully Genesys gets some great setting support, though that will partially depend on FFG putting support behind it and letting third parties do their things. That's where my main worry lies: FFG are IP nazis and while I'm sure theyll let most free stuff go you know they'll crack down on anyone selling stuff. Further, you know theyll never really give much funding or marketing to anything that isn't raking in cash which Genesys is unlikely to ever do.

So this game will probably stay a niche RPG similar to PbtA

This game looks like absolute shit. 15 bucks on special dice that "enhance the narrative" by 'adding complications" and it's not numbers it's SYMBOLS which are oh-so-fucking-original and totally new ground being covered here, this looks like the same boring one-tone narrative schlock, it'll be like FATE but worse. You roll to pick a lock and get an advantage so, what, you pick it faster? You find out that holy shit you actually just picked the lock to Jesus' tomb and can resurrect him to help you fight? Fuck these narrative games that shove random shit for you to deal with into the mix to seem "interesting" when in reality they are just random crap-on-crap game design with no structure. The only decently-designed narrative game I've seen is Apocalypse World, and all the spin-offs of that suck fat fucking cock because they try to jam the mechanic into other genres and systems where it fits in about as well as a spiked cucumber in a newborn's cunt.

Unless the shills that keep making these threads can explain to me why I should play this game, and what it adds to the RPG design sphere, they can fuck off. I'm not spending money on this overpriced shit. I'm not even going to waste time downloading the PDF. And it well sell because of EotE fanboys who choke down whatever FFG puts out for them. They love eating shit, and never turn down an opportunity to do so. Well, fuck them.

>What are you going to do with your GURPS collection now that Genesys makes it obsolete?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!

>What are you going to do with your GURPS collection now that Genesys makes it obsolete?
Save 15 bucks since I only need d6 for GURPS and not shitty snowflake dice made for some kike to profit off of.

>all you need is a d6
>says man who owns a collection of GURPS books
Wow, such thriftiness.

>symbols that require players to think
I hate to tell you this, but players don't want to think. they want to play, and they absolutely abhor trying to make shit up.

Then they shouldn't be playing an RPG.

>falling for obvious bait

Are you sure? Because that was, honest to god, the stance of one of the lead D&D designers 4e's tenure. It's really pretty hard to gauge this shit.

I mean, even if hes a retard then just let him be since theres no point in arguing with a retard.

Fair point.

>The only decently-designed narrative game I've seen is Apocalypse World
Justify this sucking of Vincent Baker's dick, faget.

Thing is, I don't like the GURPS system. I might well prefer the Genesys system. I know I prefer BRP. My players prefer Storyteller. D6 could have worked for us.

It's irrelevant. Those other systems are dead. I don't have the option of switching to them. GURPS is the only one out of dozens which has survived and seems likely to survive for years to come.

Genesys might be able to compete with GURPS in five years if they manage to really pour money into it, get the best writers in the business and maintain high standards. But that isn't going to happen. Few gamers want to spend time and money now on a generic system which might be OK in five years but will probably die like every single one except GURPS.

How good the system is doesn't matter so long as it is adequate. How much you prefer that system doesn't matter so long as you can stand playing other games.

Having a community of people who know how to play the game matters. Having good support matters. Knowing that in five years time that community and support is likely to still be there matters. Especially when you have shit like novelty dice which you have to invest in. What use are your books if FFG stops selling the dice?

A new generic system has serious hurdles to overcome before it becomes a competitor to GURPS. WEG and Chaosium couldn't do it, even building on successful franchises. There's no reason to expect FFG to do any better.

GURPSbooks are generally good value for money though, even if you never play a single game in this system.

If that were a roll it'd be a (3) success, 3 threat, right?

Seriously, you literally have to train people into playing narrative games such as Amber diceless, PbtA, and FATE. Players are initially resistant to the concept of adding narrative to a game, and worse, when they do try they start off by either narrating too little or going overboard. It's hard to teach players how to use these types of games, and believe it or else, this will be the biggest barrier this game has to it's own existence.

It's nice to see something trying to be new, but realistically, the whole 'new players rush' isn't going to turn out well for it.

>Those other systems are dead.
Define dead.

>A new generic system has serious hurdles to overcome before it becomes a competitor to GURPS. WEG and Chaosium couldn't do it, even building on successful franchises.
Maybe they didn't want to be GURPS. To be generic, you basically need to cover Sci-Fi/CPunk, Fantasy, Modern/Horror/Supers.

Everything else can be extrapolated from that.

I'm not any of these people, and I haven't read the system. I don't hate it but I also don't know anything about it.

My only problem is, why the hell did they have to choose such random symbols? Something WAY more utilitarian?

I just put less than ten seconds of thought into this:

Success: +
Super success: ++
Best success: [+] or something

I'll let you figure out the failures involving a minus symbol.

Like jesus, what a bad marketing move.

The roll is a failure with an advantage. You failed to read the dice correctly, but the advantage is that readers applaud your efforts to do so.

Probably to differentiate from FATE and to make something trademarkable.. maybe.

I agree to some extent. GURPS has been around for many many years and probably will be around longer. I wouldn't say its popular, far from it, but it's not "dead" and it still has some good stuff.

Genesys is the newcomer and we don't know how it'll fair yet, so since I have plenty of money and plenty of time, I have no issue diving into it.

But I agree that its success is contingent upon FFGs support. Thus far I have seen no reason to believe they'll do anything to support, in fact I worry they'll release dice for a while, get tired of it and move on to the next LCG or board game #843 while still holding the IP tight in their fist to ensure no one else can ever use the system.

I hope FFG proves me wrong because I love the system and will play it.

Anyone who isn't worried about FFGs lack of support or future discontinuation of support puts much more faith in them than I do. This isn't WotC with D&D where it's their flagship RPG: to FFG this is just another product they can shit out along with their 1,000 products they post on twitter.

Of note, btw, is that the game comes out tomorrow and they've done absolutely 0 promotional or marketing for it anywhere but briefly at gencon.

They didn't even show it off at PAX unplugged, they have no streamers or youtubers playing it early to rep it, they haven't even tweeted about it when they tweet about all their garbage.

It's very clear they do not care that much about it.

Learning the dice is simple. I've taught my kids 7 & 8-year-old friends how to read the dice. They picked it up in less than 30min. If you can learn the symbols for one through nine, then you can learn these 6 symbols.

Also if you google it the first result is some other company named Genesys and you have to scroll down for it. Even if you specify "rpg" or "ffg" then there's barely anything.

FFG has done 0 push for this game. Like nothing. No one will know how good it is if no one knows it exists. Maybe they are hoping for word of mouth?

This isn't Star Wars, it can't succeed on its brand alone.

That's a copypasta, you're best off ignoring it.

>and seems likely to survive for years to come
I haven't been keeping abreast of things, but they were having some troubles recently.
I hope their move to republish things on DTRPG bears fruit, I've only played GURPS twice (and an edition ago) but it's not a bad system.

The dice are effectively rolling on two axes at once (success versus failure, advantage versus threat; plus the crit success/crit failure on the higher-ranking magnitude) and each axis is statistically distinct on the positive and negative dice. That's not really something you can do without going pictographic, unless you want a much more convoluted pool or target-number-scoring system that would also require multiple rolls.

Plus the obfuscation is part of the fun for a lot of people. If you haven't taken a close look at it, it can make even virtually-guaranteed results seem surprising because, like everything is a unique wrinkle.

I said absolutely nothing about the symbols, and if you read a little more carefully, you'll realize that one of the games I mentioned doesn't even have DICE. The dice are not an issue, they're a gimmick that might be interesting and may have draw, except for the massive expense they are.

The issue is not reading the dice. the issue is teaching players how to use what they interpret and apply it to the game, which sounds easy, but is not even with the guidelines in the book.

Okay, then what do you use for the Opportunity and Threat symbols?

Pluses and minuses aren't a bad choice for successes and failures, I agree with you there.

>massive expense

You and I have different ideas on what massive means. I have probably $150 in regular polyhedral right now on my desk, it's fine.

I spend more than than the $14 or whatever they cost on beer each week.

"+" and "++" wouldn't work because each die face can have multiple symbols.

I'd do it like:
> +
>
> ()
> -
>
> ()

But I'm guessing they used non-generic symbols so they could trademark their dice designs. Hopefully some chinese company will start producing "generic" Genesys dice with simpler icons.

Whoops, forgot Veeky Forums hates unicode.
>plus
>5-point star
>circled 10-point star
>minus
>skull
>circled skull & crossbones

Apparently symbols are hard so we need a +\-, thumbs up/down, and smiley/frowny face to make it even easier.

Cost of living has gone up in the states. $14 bucks is enough to make people balk, and they can't play without those dice unless the game has a chart like in it.

Its not about hard, its about necessity.
Just because you can make up a new symbol doesn't mean you need to.

>We changed all the bathroom signs to animals. a tiger is for women, and a mouse is for men.

See how unnecessary that is?

I didn't have a problem teaching it to a group of kids under 10. They caught on quick. Less than 30 min. Every adult that I've played with has caught on. It's the easiest system I've played. But I understand it's not for everyone. No hard feelings.

>genesys.skyjedi.com/

Is there a discord bot that could do this?

Pretty sure there's two. Check the Genesys forums.

You could always just use the EotE roller.

great, thanks.

Now I've got the bot, soon I'll have a setting neutral version of the game, and maybe someday I'll have players who aren't afraid to try non-dnd games.

I just got my copy in the mail.

and I'm sick of the cocksucker who won't post shit that people want to see.

I'm taking requests.

I'd like to see some of the content creation guidelines. Especially weapon, armour and talent creation rules.

Talents

Settings, particularly steampunk. Though I know that might be a bit work intensive for ya.

The rules on archetype/species creation would be great.

Thanks user. Sadly my book still hasn't arrived. I shoulda ordered right from FFG.

there's a fuck ton of pages on this give me time and I'll do my best to get to everyone.

Skill trees, or whatever the equivalent is.

Thanks user, you're a true gent.

Thanks so much user, should let me get started on my homebrew.

page 2 of weapon craft

while I'm doing this, if anyone can think of any easy way for me to get this thing in a shareable album let me know.

page 3 weapon craft

I figured out how not to be a moron, post both pages. fucking genius.

first page of talents.

this one is sideways and I've a long way to go, bear with me boys.

page 2/4? talents

>I figured out how not to be a moron, post both pages. fucking genius.

Good job!

Joking aside, thanks for sharing.

Probably just drag them into an imgur album as you do it would be best.

Like so imgur.com/a/s8aCz

brilliant, okay, let me go set up a dummy account and get some shit together.

while you wait though... more talents...

I live in a shitty Soviet Block country and make 500$ a month.
I still have the dice.
What the fuck are you doing with your life?

You can also, after its all done, easily create a PDF for them and upload that to a google drive or even directly to Veeky Forums for sharing.

Is that Barrel Roll talent just the Snap Roll houserule lots of people use in EotE?

So this is what a hand of an angel looks like...

Seems so, they at least read forums lol.

Interesting. For Duelist's Training in FaD, they flipped it back and forth between whether you got a setback against multiple enemies, and by the time of the core they just scrapped the setback, but now they renamed the talent and added the setback back in.

Also, thanks for the pics user.

How do I upload a PDF to Veeky Forums? The imgur album is going up shortly....

imgur.com/a/Arq4a

there the album. It's not staying up forever. But whenever I'm around I'll help out.

the formatting got all sorts of fucked up in the upload, so you're gonna have to put the puzzle together on your own lads.

it goes without saying that i hope everyone gets the book on their own soon. and that this group goes from waiting on pins and needles to discussing the game as played soon...

anyways... any more requests?

The magic pages please

magic spell list?

Weird War just to know what their setting is.

How to upload a Veeky Forums PDF is basically just doing it like a normal picture, but you can only do it on Veeky Forums

Yes the different spells and maodifiers

You're my new favorite user. cool. gonna put on my tinfoil hat for a sec. is there anyway that can come bite me in the ass when the lawyers come for my bootyhole?

Like so:

>implying I didn't just pirate the PDFs online / play GURPS lite.

Theoretically they could request request Veeky Forums to hand over logs about your IP address and then from there try to get your identity from your ISP. But, as you can see from the amount of pdfs tossed around on here, that's unlikely.

Further, they have little proof you're the original makers of the pictures or the original person who posted them.

Basically it's insanely unlikely that anything could ever come of it. The only way anyone cares what you do is you post CP or bomb threats and even then most people get away with it.

Read Apocalypse World. Each and every one of the "moves" is set out so as to work toward the structure of game vincent wants to create. The game takes the things that actually make a story good, and puts them center stage. This game is just a bunch of "well if you add a bunch of adjectives and shit to your success roll that pop up independently the GM and players will be FORCED to come up with a cool thing that happens because the rules said so, which we will then take credit for because we wrote the rules that forced them to come up with it."

This looks like Shadowrun-tier crap. I'd rather play d20 Modern than this garbage. Anywhere I can find a full pdf?

I'm sure you can find a full pdf of d20 Modern somewhere

Thanks user. Also, if you care you can always click the "Rearrange pictures" option on the right which changes it into a grid view and allows you drag pictures around to put them in whatever order you like.