Wild west fantasy

So I'm building a western game. I was originally going to use a modified pathfinder game to do it but I started over again when starfinder came out as its got much better rules for gunfights.

I basically just want to run a western game with fantasy elements (magic, orcs etc...)
Thoughts? Opinions? I'm making good progress, the way starfinder handles equipment is throwing me for a loop but I'm figuring it out.

I realize there are more interesting western systems out there but I want to use something myself and the group are at least partly already familiar with.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bye6lS3ntxw-cEhQTV80WU56c0k
emlia.org/pmwiki/pub/web/IronLegion.IronLegion.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1W1iZp22Cfylb-seO-EBcx56eKi4Im-aYGmijpcPV0es/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I did this with pathfinder a wile back when gunslinger first came out and it worked very well. My advice is run it very casual. Your not going to get a dirty harry type game as much as a comical over the top wester. Idk about starfinder tho.

I don't really think guns and fantasy go together very well. Maybe if it's a really low fantasy setting. Maybe make one of the other races stand in as the obligatory indian tribe and use that as an excuse for weird magical shit happening. Probably not good advice for you, if you want PC wizards and other things, but I think it could be pretty cool

use deadlands reloaded ruleset for crying out loud

That's such a blatant rip of McCree from Overwatch. Are Blizzard suing them?

Try Deadlands
There's a D20 and a somewhat more condensed version as well (Deadlands Reloaded)
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bye6lS3ntxw-cEhQTV80WU56c0k

Did they sue Paladins?

I wrote something mildly related, post-apoc wild west.

emlia.org/pmwiki/pub/web/IronLegion.IronLegion.html

>blatant rip of McCree from Overwatch.

Starfinder is a much better choice, the rules for skirmishes and weapons are better than Pathfinder. The only problem I see is that without an industrial feel with steam engines it cuts sparse content down further.

In case you actually are retarded, Overwatch came out in 2016, three years after Juarez.

Hmm I have a pretty good looking (now idea how well it actually works yet) custom setup for pathfinder and was going about altering it for starfinder.

Now I'm wondering if I should just cherry pick the shooting rules from starfinder to add them to what I've got. I did a fairly clumsy version of this beforehand

>implying Mcree is original
>implying he's not every cowboy stereotype thrown into a blender and then given doomguy's armor
>implying there's been a original cowboy since the 90s

Even John marston was a send up to late Clint characters

Dogs in the Vineyard could probably be adapted to do more general fantasy pretty easily and it already does westerns well

I keep forgetting to look this up...

Why the fuck not just use deadlands?

Not really, Dogs in the Vineyard is one of the most narrow games around. It can be adapated to handle literally any level of important conflict - and I don’t know any game that facilitates inner monologues as a part of a conflict as well as DitV, but expanding the setting to high-conflict fantasy means everyone will just be overloaded in flaws and die quickly since guns go out nearly instantly in action westerns. The whole point of DitV is that the gun is the final word of law.

I more meant the setting could be done pretty easily, as in if you wanted to be an elf or a dwarf or something it's as simple as giving yourself a trait for it, I agree the 'style' of DitV is pretty set in stone

What part of "want to use a system myself and the group are familiar with" was not clear?

Certainly, you could even have cultural tensions to make each a little different. I've done it before.

Nearly every cowboy type character is just a blatant rip of Clint Eastwood, including the one from your shit game. It's an archetypal character that works perfectly in the setting.

My plan is that magic in it's entirety has been gone from the world for more than 1000 years. Before that it was pretty much just dnd with swords, dragons and floating cities but almost overnight it all vanished/stopped functioning.

I planned on when the game started that magic was only starting to creep back into existence with any of the pcs who were magic users having only recently discovered their abilities along with rumors of strange beasts etc...I honestly have no idea how well the game would pan out and am pretty sure it'd get out of hand down the line but the concept still seems fun and I've always wanted to try it

Who are the natives and what they like?

I was going to mostly just do American frontier circa mid to late 1800s for simplicity. So occasional Indians who I still haven't decided are just humans or something else.
I made the core races be from various nations to add a but more fun to them.

>elves = great Britain
>orcs = Spain
>half orcs = Mexico and south America
> dwarves = Scotland
> gnomes = Ireland
> humans and half elves were from pretty much everywhere
>lizard folk = south America and American deep south

Didnt put too much thought into it, mostly just thought it would add easy to figure out variety to the core races and get to play some head games with picturing history

I don't think you're going to really capture the "feel" of the Wild West in Pathfinder/Starfinder. I tried doing something similar a while back, and it just feels weird.

Because Deadlands is great and has the things you’re looking for.

And you’ll probably spend less time learning how to play it than you will jamming western elements into your fantasy game.

Have you seen the homebrew Marshal class that's been floating around? I saw it mentioned a while back, WIP but it looked pretty cool. It was basically an old west gunslinger sort of paladin, mixing in aspects of being the sheriff or the wandering man with no name. I'll see if I can find the gdoc again.

Dev for that class here. Surprised anyone remembers it, I've posted it I think all of one time before on Veeky Forums.

docs.google.com/document/d/1W1iZp22Cfylb-seO-EBcx56eKi4Im-aYGmijpcPV0es/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the most recent version of it if anyone cares for it, though it's very much still in development (Thus commenting it turned on). Still, it should be at a playable state if you can handle like a dozen references to western songs.

Attached is some dev math behind it (Which people doubly don't give a shit about but my autism won't let me not post as benchmarks are important for trying to keep some game balance. Especially when a class's DPR doesn't come in the usual ways like Full Attacks.)

I like the cowboy look but I prefer it much, much better on witch/monster hunters.

I dunno, it could work in Starfinder. The Wild West and space exploration/colonisation have some thematic overlap, it's why you get stuff like Firefly.

Get three coffins ready.

>Because Deadlands is great and has the things you’re looking for.

But Deadlands would require him to learn new rules instead of just hamfisting stuff into his favorite 3.x derivative and then wondering why it doesn't work.

10/10

fucking this, OP. Omitting the issue of 3.PF classes being retarded outside of a couple archetypal icons, learn a 200-page game thats was built from ground-up for gunplay and does it well without homebrewing at all
youll literally spend less time learning the core "roll the skill die above 4" over fucking with your shit system of choice until it does nothing well either way

Read a few Wuxia stories for plot inspiration.
Just follow these rules:

>replace swordsmen with gunmen (fisticuffs still stays effective close quarters and acrobatic movement across bar tables stays as well)
>replace Buddhist influence with Catholic church influence.
>replace Taoism with British evangelical enlightenment values.
>natives are some bird tribes, Kenku-turkey-men for extra racism.

if he's really atached to d20 there's a deadlands port for that too

Wait, deadly aim is a bad thing?

The accuracy loss makes it generally not worth it.