Exalted General — /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/lmeFuNc.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=YCBjfoOsm_E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Abyssals when tho?

>a desert that's ~100,000 miles across

Must get some pretty terrifying sandstorms out there. How have those mountain ranges not been ground away? Are they magic?

Objectively speaking, they are. Creation's physical underpinnings are magical.

Might be a cool set piece. A stretch of mountains that have been sandblasted down to their bones, the immutable substrate of reality laid bare.

What sort of properties would a magically indestructable mountain that has had all it's destructible parts sandblasted off have? I'm imagining incredibly jagged peaks of polished white stone with razor edges all over place. Almost like fangs erupting from the earth.

>100,000 miles
Recount your distances. Each of those big squares is 500 miles across, so Creation is closer to 16500 miles across.

Besides, once you start getting to the extremes of the Southern edge of creation, you start to get less sand and more fire, as you approach the Elemental Pole of Fire. You also start to get significant Wyld incursions where reality gets overwritten by dreamstuff and chaos.

It's nice that Gem's not bumfuck nowhere and not the most southern place again

Ooh, did I slip in an extra zero in the multiplication process? My bad.

My point stands though, that's still an incredibly vast tract of sand. even if half of it is fire instead.

the mountain gods probably recieve alot of sacrifice from wandering tribes, or at least more than immaculate order area gods get. not a streatch to assume that non immaculate area gods and their domains are stronger.
And the wyld pockets act as a good buffer, sand goes in and comes out as chicken blood

Question: If a player wanted to summon a Parambir, one of the beasts from Compass: Malfeas that's basically a Malfean elephant but a bit weirder, would you let them summon something with the stats of an Elephant, plus an Essence score, the Charms that all the 1st-circle Demons have, and some of the Magical Abilities that elephants can take as its own Charms?

And it's broken up by two large mountain ranges, with the western extent of it being more jungle-like and the eastern one being more savannah-like

I'd give them less than that, those things aren't even first circle, they're just hell animals. pick like 2 things from that list

you've already got them, just make the solars shittier and paint it black.

I'm hoping they don't waste a book on luigi until the very end. I want Dragonbloods, Lunars, Siderals, Infernals, Alchemicals first and probably in that order. and then the bullshit new exalts. and only then abyssals.

>I'm hoping they don't waste a book on luigi until the very end
Yeah Infernal are a bit eh, who knows what the'll do about them.

just ones with animal powers and slightly higher stats and resistance to some things hell animals might have to deal with

On your deathbed

When life gives you lemons....
crush the lemons and throw the juice in life's bitch face.

How fitting.

What is Autochthonia like?

Read Autochthonia and MoEP Alchemical

Don't explain the joke.

I was in a game a while back, and he was portrayed as a basically the autistic nerd of the Primordials. He was obsessed with his universe-spanning tinkers, but was totally a lightweight when other infinite god beings decided to push him around.

Otherwise a nice guy, but socially inept.

Check out Ebeli Quest and Princes of the Universe season 4

Princes got shit after they switched to Godbound

>They switched to Godbound.

KEK. What in the right mind did they think? Why in the world did they think it was a good idea? How? How can you be so utterly, ridiculously incompetent?

Combat changed from taking 4 hours to an hour

There's a reason why Godbound is universally considered a joke, user.

What is that?

Why would you expect an answer kek

What are the current predictions on when DBs will be released?

The part of me that still hopes for things say mid summer, the part of me that has been hurt to many times before says about a year.

I'll be an optimist and bet on next spring. The book's been written, and while the art direction and layout could take a long-ass time, they don't have to.

after looking through arms I noticed that there are a pair of Smash fists that up grade one of the fist of battle charms in brawl. does that mean that the charm line can be used with any "natural" weapon or is that special. I was really confused because it didn't seem to mark the interaction as special just turning on the charm faster.

The book is actually written 100% tho?

Yes.

like if you were forever underground except the ground was made of rusting machinery instead of rock, water and food come out of limited nutrient lines, and depending on how far away from the populated places you go it gets weirder like finding an entire ocean made of oil and other bizarre things

not quite what he asked i think

brass and shadows and techno-sovietpunk

slightly before heatdeath

In the errata thread on the forums, those Smashfists are supposed to explicitly allow the combination and it will be fixed in the final version.

i.imgur.com/lmeFuNc.jpg

how did this flameduck shave? how does one even do that to fire?

so it only works with those fists and they're adding an airbreathing mermaid charm to the final version? or it works with any natural weapons by default?

thank you for the clarification

Adamantine Fists of Battle only works with your bare hands, no weapons can be used. This includes Smashfists, Tiger Claws, Slayer Khatars or anything like that. Therefore a Charm/Evocation/Attunement benefit would need to exist to allow you to use AFoB with any Artifact. You definitely weren't allowed to before baseline.

Question:
>Reading through Heaven and Earth Gauntlets' evocations and I ran into the charms that improve Adamanine Fists of Battle. But the text of AFofB specifies it supplements a bare-handed attack.
>Does this mean that:
>1-Heaven and Earth Gauntlets Interact with AFofB, but other smashfists normally don't
>2-AFofB interacts with any worn brawl weapon(or maybe just smashfists)
>3-You only gain the benefits of AFofB for decisive attacks(which don't directly specify bare handed attacks) when wearing smashfists

Dev response:
>Yeah, it's an oversight—that Evocation should specifically make the gauntlets compatible with Adamantine Fists. We'll get it in error correction.

Around like March 2018.
-Whole book is finished, just getting to art and stuff
-However they're gonna do a kickstarter for it
-Next one after current changeling one is Trinity, devs have said no kickstarter in December
-Trinity Kickstarter January, DB's February, book comes out at the end around March ish

>Heart print panties
You know, 2e was a very special kind of stupid that will always hold a place in my heart

>how did this flameduck shave? how does one even do that to fire?
Barber razor made out of water.

How long did it take the Core book to go through Art/Layout? I think that's a good measure of the maximum amount of time it could possibly take since they had to create the look of the books on top of all the bullshit that happened with the Core. So we should feel reasonably sure it won't take that long.

Art shouldn't take long given that A) DB's is around a third the length of the core and B) They aren't using shit artists anymore so no more redos. But like I said its not the art that's gonna hold it up, its that even when the art is finished, even if the book is 100% done and ready to ship, they still want to wait until after the kickstarter because thats how OPP does things now days, and that can be Feb at the earliest

Are they still planning to include a plain text version of the book with the Kickstarter? I thought I heard that somewhere, but I'm not sure it's still true.

If so, we might actually see the book early next year, even if layout takes forever.

They're going to keep working on it over time, I except by the time the Kickstarter does roll around art and layouts will all already be done/close to done. Meaning when it does hit it will likely be ready to throw out the very next day

So important questions
Can battle groups drive a creature of legendary size below one initiative?
Do battle groups only start to deal health level damage to an enemy after its crashed?

what kind of music do you picture exalted's hell most sounding like?

only so many people even make panties that can stand up to firecrotch. you wear what you can get

Yes to both. Battle groups benefit in this by having good commanders giving orders to attack.

Okay good, if the second one was a no then it'd make warstriders utterly invincible against regular troops. As it stands they're just nearly so. I can see why the realm and lookshy aren't really ever under threat of invasion when any one of them could reduce a five digit number of regular old mortals to dust in a couple of hours

I think the other interesting side of that situation is that Lookshy doesn't want to risk losing its irreplacable assets to chance or tying up those resources for years in grueling maintenance. So Lookshy's neighbors don't want to test it but Lookshy doesn't want to make itself worse off tomorrow by using its First Age artifacts more than it has to. It adds a bit more depth to sudden disruptions to the status quo (i.e. PCs doing PC things) forcing the General Staff to make difficult choices.

Yeah, it roughly maps to current MAD things, where no one really wants to throw the first punch. Which I guess is what first age tech was supposed to be before 2e kinda cocked up and had it lying all over and also super easy to crank out.

This is my waifu

That art is upper-tier shit art on the core book scale.

youtube.com/watch?v=YCBjfoOsm_E

Looking at the rules for siege weapons in Arms of the Chosen, they aren't that great at feats of demolition, are they? They can attempt feats that require really high strength, but those require so many successes, it seems kind of pointless to try even with the bonus from the Bombard tag.

How would some mortals with mundane catapults get the 15 successes they need to slowly smash through a stone wall? Am I missing something?

How did we go from heart print panties to censoring knees?

Shitty design direction by two idiots trying to completely change the game to fit their vision. Cheesecake-ey art was always part of Exalted since the beginning.

If one were to try and break down a wall, I'd honestly handle it as an extended test at my table - it's not like the wall is going to fix itself after being struck by a rock flung at [arbitrary speed], after all. Additionally, historically, a significant amount of sieges involving those kinds of engines ended in surrender after a handful of shots, only rarely were walls actually taken down.

>read post
>"they can't be THAT bad."
>*check holden's twitter

It's exactly as bad as you said.

>Cheesecake-ey art was always part of Exalted since the beginning.
It was shit then and its shit now. You literally cannot look at that elemental walking around in heart print underwear and tell me that dumb shit belongs in a game thats trying to maintain an even halfway serious tone.

>a game thats trying to maintain an even halfway serious tone.
>serious tone
>serious
>one of the inspirations for it is fucking Final Fantasy games
>Shaolin Soccer
>the guy on the throne of the Empire is a fucking constant, serial masturbator
>all of the comics in the previous editions had them cracking jokes like it was a Marvel film
>one of the fucking stories in 1E was of a girl trying to take a piss in her God-mom's court
>myths themselves the game is based on contain all sorts of rude and crude humor
>serious

I think you're playing the wrong game. This ain't Tom & Jerry, but it sure as shit ain't serious in the way you think it is.

Like I've been saying since Holden and Morke first started shooting off their cock gobbling mouths about Exalted 3E, they weren't trying to make Exalted 3E, they were trying to make their homebrew bullshit game into Exalted 3E. Theres a huge disconnect between the past editions and this one in terms of tone and art direction because of it.

Not a single thing you listed there implies the game isn't taking itself seriously. Like I have no idea what you were going for but you failed, a game can have elements that seem silly and still be serious as long as those elements are actually treated with seriousness. Like the lizards that piss drugs. Yeah that phrase sounds stupid as hell but when the game actually spends several paragraphs talking about the economic implications of such it's not just a stupid joke anymore.
An elemental who's apparently supposed to be a warrior running around in literal anime underwear is stupid as hell and always will be, and I'm sorry I seem to have insulted your waifu in the process of saying so

What are Vance and Minton like? I hear that the former keeps a lid on his shit, but what about the latter?

one of them is working on becoming a lawyer for transgender people. Also they are talking about adding move diversity to the game. Arms of the Chosen proved that. Now I'm afraid for DragonBlooded rulebook. I know homosexuality is a thing in the Realm but I'm afraid they will introduce faggots and girly men into Dynasty.

There's no way the Realm's culture of "we don't care who you fuck as long as you do your duty, have Dragonblooded children, and aren't weak and effete" survives this age of fagginess.

Anyone were you not around for early September? We already went through this whole fight when that one npc got introduced.

>one of the fucking stories in 1E was of a girl trying to take a piss in her God-mom's court
What? Which book was that is?

I've never interacted with him personally, but Minton seems like a decent guy. I get the impression he's the type that just likes to write and talk about writing, and otherwise keeps to himself.

At the least, I've never seen him get into petty internet fights with random people like the old devs. That's something.

Yeah, that's Vance. However he doesn't go ranting and raving about it like Holden or Morke did, and honestly the characters he goes with are fairly interesting so I'm willing to forgive a decent amount of shit there.

You can use 15 catapults on one wall, people did that shit all the time.

Players Guide.

Aside from artificially manufacturing it, is the amount of each magical material in the world (aside from starmetal I guess) fixed? Or does creation work in such a way that new veins and so on can appear? Because I find it strange that guarded mines of the stuff could still exist after all these years

It just literally appears at random. Also the mines being guarded are usually just plain old gold mines, because they know you can turn gold to orichalcum.

Are there rules for how to handle cooperative actions like that? I thought there were some general guidelines, but I can't find anything.

Also, there's this:
>In the case of feats of strength to destroy an object, using a tool that would logically assist in breaking the thing (such as using a sledgehammer to smash a statue, or an
axe to break down a door) adds one automatic success to the attempt. If the tool is an artifact weapon, add two.

Also, Fire Cannons get an extra 4 dice on Feats of Demolition against flammable targets. So, if you want to blow an enemy's gate open: 9 dice base + Bombard 4 + Fire Cannon 4 + Stunt 2 + 1 automatic success from using a tool + 1 automatic success from Willpower = 19 dice + 2 successes.

To successfully break down the gate of a fortress, you need 11 successes. So, it's entirely doable for a mortal, since 9 successes on 19 dice is about what you'd expect.

So, you can justify silly shit by using justifying it with economy? What about religion? Culture? Fashion? What about someone who has an unorthodox dress code? Are the flesh-sculpting sex demons ok? What about fighting shirtless? Is a naked warrior acceptable? Is a semi-naked female warrior?

When does the game stop being serious business and goes into being a puerile joke?

>When does the game stop being serious business and goes into being a puerile joke?
Well, pic related is the obvious answer...

You kind of seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying
>So, you can justify silly shit by using justifying it with economy? What about religion? Culture? Fashion? What about someone who has an unorthodox dress code?
Yes, all those work (well, assuming their down well and not some poorly written nonsense from an overworked writer that got read all of once and then passed along) but the very point I'm making is that that elemental has none of those things. She's just standing there looking like an early ecchi anime for no clear reason, there is no text saying why she looks like that some artist probably just drew it because they tohug. is okay, that makes sense, she's an elemental of course she doesn't need to wear clothes, I could stand her pants not looking like a fancy strippers outfit but it makes sense. A person walking around in a full on maid cafe uniform or something would be dumb
>When does the game stop being serious business and goes into being a puerile joke?
When the people writing it treat it as nothing but a joke. If theres an explanation, and the explanation isn't clearly flimsy justification to have this thing in here, then its okay.

Dunno why the Solar is mad. Sure she lost out on the in-game benefit goal, but she's still getting like... 100 silver experience from chompy enjoying her cakes.

Because that Lunar essentially stole over 40 cakes! Thats as many as four tens. And thats terrible.

it's as silly as you want it to be. taking things seriously or not has nothing to do with tone and everything to do with personal viewpoint, y'know?

you can justify whatever you want with whatever you want. or i guess to give an example, when Kiyo art is used, because that's really the stem of this conversation, that Kiyo art isn't seen as "serious" art because they happen to adore drawing pantsu. But Kiyo took the work seriously and didn't draw panties in for the sake of telling everyone "this is dumb, don't take it seriously," so, again, it's a personal issue.

this is why i tell people exalted is a game for weebs. weebs take shirtless warriors seriously. weebs are willing to bite into silliness to enjoy what they're seriously into.

what i like about exalted is that it essentially holds the cruelty and abomination of the uncaring world at about equal frequency as funny things happening. It makes it seem more real despite every element of the setting being something that's born from strangeness and concepts that obviously aren't real.

A halfway serious tone doesn't mean things being serious all the time. The regent is a serial masturbator in 2E. In 1E he was specifically stated to be someone harmless but dignified, someone that wouldn't actually do anything but who gives the outwards impression of a believable regent. Comics are also a 2E thing, and several of them are actually serious. The story about the god-blooded girl in her mom's court wasn't a silly joke, it was there to highlight the fact that gods have a difficulty understanding certain aspects of mortal existence. If you saw piss being mentioned, started giggling uncontrollably and couldn't take anything about the story seriously, that's on you. Myths often have humor, but claiming that they're *based* on humor is just outright false. So, you know, you're just plain wrong in most of the things you say. I can't comment on Final Fantasy games or Shaoling Soccer, though, not having played the games or watched the movie.

Also, heart panties are a thing literally only because one of the artists liked them. They aren't something come up with writers or developers. There is no comment on the setting or the intended tone of the games to be found in those hearts. One of the artists just kept drawing them, and because she was otherwise very good, she got to do that. That's all there is to it.

I usually have the stuff generate based on the collection of essence. Jade is generated by the interaction of Dragon Lines concentrations. Growing along the lines over time and turning into seams. Oricalcum shows up in locations of extreme solar essence. High Plateaus and deserts where the Sun's rays are exceptionally concentrated. Moonsilver occurs where Luna's essence meets the Wyld along water and gathers over time. Starmetal is special as its now a collection of godly essence among the stars concentrated and falls from the sky. Soulsteel is just dead Primordial stuff mixed with souls.

It may not be the pure Canon but its how I do it and it was never really explained anyway from what I recall.

Speaking of which, who here prefers short fiction bet chapters and who prefers comics?

I prefer the fiction, if only because it seems OPP has an easier time finding halfway decent writers than it does halfway decent artists

I'm with . Comics could be cool in theory, but Exalted doesn't have a really good track record with them in practice.

>In 1E he was specifically stated to be someone harmless but dignified, someone that wouldn't actually do anything but who gives the outwards impression of a believable regent
He still had the masturbation thing even in 1E though. The guys name is "Regent Fokuf" for fucks sake. It even sounds like "fuckoff"

Peleps Deled did nothing wrong :^)

I'm onto you, Chejop.

Literally who?
Reminds me, are the immaculate paragons given canon identities or are they left open? Been a while since I read the realm 2e book

Peleps Deled is an Immaculate monk who is so zealous that he beats up and kills other monks who disagree with him on matters of scripture, down to quibbly points like "on" vs "of". The reason he gets away with this is because he's exceptionally gifted. He got seconded from House Peleps to the Wyld Hunt permanently to get him away from polite society where he would probably end up hurting House Peleps' name by challenging people to duels over stupid shit like the above point.

Because of his high position in the Wyld Hunt (again owing to how good he is at fighting) he serves a really important point in the declining legitimacy and respectfulness of the Wyld Hunt. On more than one instance his rudeness to the generals of Legions helping the Wyld Hunt caused them to pack up their dragons and head home. There's the possibility he was placed in the Wyld Hunt expressly for that purpose to give Houses a reason to draw their Legions back to the Isle.