Planet Sized Spaceship Thread

I like the idea of megastructures in a sci-fi. But I think they are criminally underutilized. Star killer base should have been a set piece for the entire trilogy with different regions being explored.

Starkiller base should not have existed.

>planet
>singular

Agreed, how the fuck did they even get the shit to make it?

How big is Starkiller base? Those little lights make me think they are windows, but if the thing there is a fucking planet they would be the size of large metropolitan areas.

RL (standing) armies need about 200 to 300 working-class joes to keep 1 man/woman under arms at all times.
So, one Death Star needs to have a similar amount to fully developed planets dedicated to supporting it ...

I guess Star Wars or 40k Imperiums could build a couple of dozen ...
The only question is: WHY???

We can turn Jupiter, or any gas giant, into a spaceship with the help of a fusion candle. One thruster points below and the other above to float in place and apply thrust to the planet and move Jupiter + all its moons and asteroids with it. The hydrogen of the atmosphere is used to fuel the reaction.

>A fusion candle.

Thousands of them.

>all its moons and asteroids with it
The change in the parent body's movement would inevitably lead them into eccentric orbits and possibly into a collision with it. You would need to apply the same change in velocity in the same direction to all of the bodies at the same time, and even then you have external factors that could alter their orbit beyond that.

We can go bigger.

Oh you are right, but since it does, it should serve as more than the Death Star 2.0.

A lot more soldiers can be in active duty than that. It just isn't very cost-effect when there's not a war going on, and there's usually a lack of volunteers/conscripts.

>Reminder that if they wanted to rip off an already existing Super weapon they should have just stolen the Star Forge from KotOR
>It would still be powered by a sun, and it would explain why The First Order has such ridiculous production capacity for being nothing more than a rebellion, one that is widely despised at that.

-_- what the fuck even....

Larry Niven is obsessed with megastructures. In addition to Ringworld, he also wrote Shipstar with Gregory Benford. It's a giant bowl spinning following a star. Magnetic fields shape the plasma or whatever from the star through a hole in the bowl and the entire thing flies through space

....I am okay with that.

The Chaos Weapon is even more huge. It was built by the inhabitants of one universe, funnels off the energy from a different universe, spins it through some black holes and then funnels that energy into the third and enemy universe, which destroys all causality in that third universe while causing the catastrophic heat death of the second universe.

While not a ship, it's still massive. The Startree Biosphere from the Hyperion series was a Dyson sphere made of massive genetically engineered trees and plants.

Umm... what?

And so it continues.

What is this, a battle-universe for ANTS?!?

>battle universe

I can’t tell if this is Brillant or stupid.

A little of column A, a little of column B

In Star Wars the basic answer is planet shields. Even the rebel shield at Hoth could withstand a small fleet bombarding it, hence they had to go around. Endor and Scariff were completely cut off. So the Death Star is basically a "fuck your shields and fuck your bases" weapon, while simultaneously being a near invulnerable movable naval base.

Imagine having say 1 Death Star II or Starkiller base, and a dozen DS1s to act as hubs for the navy. You basically have a moon-sized resupply port that you can move to wherever, and if they run into a planetary shield you can pop it like a bubble.

Did they ever say how big a craftworld is?

Something about the Emperor wanting a trump card against the force turning against him or something.

In my sci-fi universe, Venus is being terraformed, so there is a sun shield at Venus L1, more than 4 times the diameter of Venus which block all light from reaching the surface so the atmosphere freezes out.

It was supposed to be the ultimate "dont fuck with us" kind of deterrent, because honestly having a planet killer back up your totalitarian regime is just the logical conclusion. Palpatine even lamented loosing it since his whole plan hinged on the Death Star doing the same thing as the Senate, maintain order, without the pesky hangups of morals or laws

In David Weber's Empire from the Ashes trilogy, pretty much all warships are the size of the moon or larger. In fact, the moon _is_ a warship, with a thick layer of dust and an advanced stealth system hiding it as a moon

If you have the resources for that isn't it better to just build a planet sized station ro something? You could even cover the entire surface of Venus with metal and have plenty left to spare

I've seen this picture several times and I still can't figure out what the hell's going on.

Yes, but it depends on the individual craftworld. Some are comparable to planets, but then again, some planets aren't really comparable to planets. No, I'm not looking up the sources, it was so vague to be barely worth reading.

Mostly column B. Like 99.9% pure stupid. Anyone who can't see that much, has too much stupid within themselves to detect it in others.

top fucking kek

holy jesus.....

well thats enough internet for today

What exactly am I looking at here? I get the rings, but what is it doing?

This is the most retarded thing ever conceived by man.

I support this idea with every fiber of my being until I have to ask myself what it’s supposed to be defending against.

>artist is too stupid to know that up on the ring will always be parallel with the ring
>this tilted landscape has level buildings
>meaning built with tilted floors
Fuck’s sake.

I never quite understood people who feel the need to pick apart the logistical shortcomings of the Death Star. It's seriously like going on at length about how Barad-dur was implausible and unnecessary.

People forget everything in Star Wars exists so as to tell a straightforward visual fantasy story. The Death Star is simply a plot device. It's a big, intimidating piece of evil machinery which can obliterate the good guys and in fact will do so if the hero doesn't stop it. It's a fucking film, and the Death Star exists as a set piece. A role it executes perfectly I might add.

If you seriously niptick about how it makes no sense, is too expensive, or fills a role better suited for a million star destroyers then I'm afraid you missed the point entirely. Those details are unimportant because Star Wars never was and never will be a work of military science fiction.

It looks like some kind of Singularity-Star drive... the black hole projects an ion stream that kills anything in the path of the stellar structure and the star provides movement for the construct and matter for said death beam

For what it’s worth it’s an intentional pisstake.