WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

>Previous Thread(s):

/WIP/ Secret Santa, 2017 edition:

>Do I receive a confirmation after signup?
Yes, I send 'em out as soon as I see the email, shouldn't take longer than 1-2 days. If you got none til then, resend a mail.

>What shall I include in the email?
Well, your address, obviously. Also, your name if you're not 100% sure that you receive packages without a name. You also can include what you are collecting etc, but don't expect to get something related to that 100%

>What shall I gift?
I don't know, use your imagination! You can check last year's SS here: imgur.com/a/1fxhq

>How much should I gift?
Well it should be at least 10-15$ in value, so that it is worthwhile all the hassle. But you can also go higher and nobody will say a thing if it's only 7.85$. It's the gesture that counts. I'm sure you find some cool stuff in your bitzbox, too.

>When do we get our matches?
The matching will take place Dec 1st and after that, you'll receive an email with the address of your match

>What about shipping costs?
I try to do continental matching, so they shouldn't be too high. If you specifically want someone from another continent, I also try to arrange that!

>What do if I get grinched?
Email me and I'll try to contact your match. If we can't sort it out, he'll get put onto the naughty list. Often, we find kind anons jumping in and sending something to you in this case!

>Why the fuck are we doing this?
Because /WIP/ is literally the most wholesome online community.

>Do people sign up from country XY?
Most people sign up from NA and EU, but also from Australia, Japan, whatever. If you only want to participate of someone else from your country registers, you can ask in advance, just shoot an email.

You've really got to experiment with this yourself.

Personally I like using the aforementioned Bondite, but I do mix it with 50% Super Sculpey Grey (I saw Scibor doing it in a tutorial video, cept he was using greenstuff) and it gives me enough firmness to make solid things, while having a good curing time, and I can also sand, cut and buff it afterwards. It's basically like working with slightly sticky sculpey that cures without baking.

Here's some arms I made from my Sculpey/Bondite mix.

Reposting possible Landsknecht Marine scheme.

why have you faggots stopped linking the new thread before the old one 404s

I wish to do this, but I've never participated in such an event before.

Neither have I, and I signed up for it - worst case scenario you're out $15+shipping, best case you get a crate full of goodies for Christmas to have fun with.

No time like the present, user.

Get in there, feel around a lil, give something to a stranger, maybe a different stranger will give you a nice surprise.

I'm just worried I'd fuck up some how. I've been scrounging through bits and trying to figure what I can go out and get. I do get paid tomorrow, and my holiday bonus so.. I'm probably just over thinking it.

Go down to your LGS and grab a couple of neat figurines and a brush, maybe some basing material or a pot of paint - whatever it is, I'm sure the receiving party will appreciate it.

Alright. I've done it. How exciting!

What did you get?

I think he means he just emailed the SS, not got any stuff yet.

Yep, this.

Whoops

just bought the citadel painting handle, after a few days of using it, i am impressed!

at first i thought it was a gimmick when it came out, but i picked it up on the weekend and i have to say it works nice.

i am not a big fan of GW's tools (it all can be bought for a fraction of the price) but this is really good!

anyone else use it?

Greetings lads

What are those censers from? The helmet is from a normal CSM box right? Is that a stormcast leg?

whats the difference between it and an empty dice box and some blue tac? I mean, with the blue tac you can also stick unbased models.

Companies that make good bear models for cav? want to start up a rusky themed guard army and the ones i found are celtic ish. cant really find something plain thats nice

Pretty sure the censers are DA.

I love it

Won't such a hat get in the way of swinging his doohickey?

The sir gentleman doom rider lol

Censers are for spreading smoke - they're the things priests use. If he's using that as a weapon, he's /really/ in trouble.

The longer I look the funnier it gets

I think helm is regular csm box. Censer is deathwing terminator box. And no leg and majority of the model is the primaris chaplain. Still gotta swap the purity seal for something chaos like.

I thought it was a triple headed flail this whole time.

This was meant for Yeah, he just swings em to the side.
Naw mate. In this case it's a power flail of some abominable sort.

>just bought the citadel painting handle, after a few days of using it, i am impressed!

Y'know, I keep hearing this. Think I'll stop by my local GW this weekend and take a look; might even include them in my Secret Santa package to whomever I get.

It's a power flail thingy doobry that is also a censer, because you know, why not. The first time I saw it I assumed he'd be at maximum risk of bonking himself and his mates so they'd let him go first.

Did I over/under do it with the brown? I want to make these look rusty, but not like nurgle's asshole.

I know i'm not the best painter, but it's for a tabletop standard.

They look too shiny to be rusty - Go over it with some matte medium and it should look a little better, I think.

I bet that dank DA grown incense being lit by plasma weaponry and power weapon electrofields smell good as fuck.

*matte varnish, rather, my mistake - specifically the parts you want to look rusted, while keeping the metal parts shiny so as to look lacquered/polished.

I think it might be because I just finished, I'ma head to sleep and take another pic when I getup.

Meanwhile admech incense is literally imported pollution.

If I remember correctly it's actually the eternally burning ashes of the fallen that they put in it, I'd check if I knew where my codex was

Does anyone have a problem with their airbrush primer (in this case I'm using Badger's primer, Stylenrez...or whatever) drying incredibly quickly in the cup? I'm constantly dealing with little flakes of dried primer clogging my airbrush and it's getting extremely frustrating. I'm wondering if I didn't seal the primer bottle and it started to dry or something.

Did anyone notice that new Munitorum Varnish by GW to replace Purity Seal? They said it's "formulated to never fog". Too bad it's gloss and satin only. I might switch army from matte to satin if it's truly fogproof.

I rarely fog my miniatures with Army Painter Anti-Shine matte, but I've had a couple with some small flecks of white powder from the varnish almost fogging so I'm scared to varnish my newest and best paintjobs at the moment.

Well getting closer and closer to finishing these up... I need to do the base, and tidy up the highlights. I think I went too heavy on some of the white on bone highlights... thoughts?

the standard bearer. I'm wondering if I should put a decal on the flag..

What shade of red is this guy?

I went way to heavy on the white highlight on this guys shield..

This is 40k we're talking about. It's a power-censer-flail. They're used by DA Terminators too.

I like the way this side came out at least...

Made some slow progress on my Hemlock. I'm almost done painting 2000 pts. of Eldar, but I'm having trouble finding the motivation to finish.
All I have left after the Hemlock is 6 Swooping Hawks.

WIP Weirdboy I made entirely out of spare bitz and bit of greenstuff.

Really nice. I have a lot of ork bits, maybe i'll try that too. Thanks for the idea user

is that a res orb

I just finished painting my first ever Warhammer figurine, a Sylvaneth Dryad. Didn't turn out exactly how I wanted but I think it looks cool nonetheless. Any tips for the next one?

little bit here and there

repostan my precious boy

thin your paints.

Hmm a bit plain at this point. What's the color scheme on the rest of your troops? This looks pretty smooth, but could use a good amount of detail

even the base ones? I thought you weren't really supposed to thin those ones

Why is the mayor of halloween town on that bike

Evil sunz?

Yes. It's okay, its a feel that comes with practice, it doesn't look that bad at all, keep it up user

Oh there's still a good deal of detail I need to add. The cannons and mindshock pods still need to be painted. As well as gems, vents, and decals.
My army is a blue and orange Alaitoc splinter force.

Isn't Evil Sunz a little too orangey for that?

Definitely mephiston red then

Huh, pretty smooth and rich job he has done. Doesn't look like most Mephiston shades I've seen.

2 out of 4 Boyz done. going to be trying out a darker skintone for the next one I think

thanks, working on gluing the others right now

the fur still looks a little chalky

I was going to say how much I like the skin. It matches the blue really well. Nice paint job user

Yea, I do need to sort it out, Once i've got the other two sorted I'll go back and try and fix it.

Needs more chaos stars, but otherwise a really good look

Whoa is that a Nid skull? where'd you get that? The model looks cool!

can't tell where the one in the pic comes from, but SM scout snipers have ork and tyranid skulls on their sprue. And the skull basing kit GW recently released might have some as well I think.

Excellent colour choice user, I can dig it

Before I saw the one he was stepping on, I thought you were talking about the bigger one hanging from the staff (ork).

When my friend just got into orkz, he accidentally glued that skull to a boy's body thinking it was a "weird ork head ".

He's leaving it, and just pretend he burned the skin off his head in an accident. Maybe that skull came from the whole "kit of skulls " gw made

Just finished my Escher gang leader. Now for 9 more gangers....

I think it comes with the genestealer kit

So i started working on my counts-as Primaris psykers to go with my Shadowsword in the Supreme Command detachment. They're going to be psyker brains in jars like the Callophean Psy-engine from Dark Heresy. I haven't sculpted the brains yet and the bottle isn't pushed down as far as it will be.

Back side. I've never sculpted a brain before, but that's what my life is now.

What is your favorite looking model, wip?

I really, really like the defiler

Pic related, just a giant rip and tear robot is my fetish. Also I really like the knight porphyrion. Its a shame I'll never be able to afford a legitimate copy of either of them.

Man, every paycheck set 5 bucks aside.

In like 30 years you can afford a leviathan w/o shipping

These two are my favourites. Had to save money for half a fucking year to buy them

Very nice
on the next one be more careful when applying the texture paint (as some got on the legs) and bring the texture paint to the edges.
The rest will come with practice.
(also thin your paints)

Thank you again, organizer

Tuckerton user, I replied you 14/11, maybe check your spam folder! To all of you guys, check your spam folders, too!

Heard it here first, folks.
I had a dream this night that GW made a Facebook announcement that they were switching to other bases, like pic related.
Quote me on that.

Started to prepare an Excel sheet to do the matching. How come both anons from Asia collect Nids and GSC? You like tentacles, eh?

Ordered some stuff from Prodos, doing a 90s Bad Girl army using some of the stuff from their Sapce Crusade range, and while on the webstore I picked up this little fella, Rob Yourstand, a fundraiser model they cranked out after they got their till stolen from their booth at Essen Spiel a while ago. Nice cheeky rules for warzone and AVP. I'm not sure what to do for his suit, it's gotta look cheap, though. Like some kind of polyester abortion.

> it's gotta look cheap, though. Like some kind of polyester abortion.
only one choice

some of the paints are a bit chalky but I love the leopard print and overall 80sness of it

That already looks amazing
I just bought a Gandalf mini as my counts as primaris psyker
At least I can say I'm casting you shall not pass instead of psychic barrier

>I haven't sculpted the brains yet and the bottle isn't pushed down as far as it will be.
you should look at bombshell minis in case the conversion doesn't go well. They sell brains in glass bowls.

That's fucking perfect! You're a fucking champ, user!

You can never go wrong with a Monkey Island reference!

Biomechanical Slaanesh daemon prince with a face reminiscent of SHODAN.

y/n ?

These are pretty good. What company makes these?

Dark Apostle? I'm trying a similar thing with a primaris chaplain

Loving it already, user. Just a thought though, what sort of bottle is that? Some bog standard thing you could find in a craft store, or is something specialized needed? I would love to do some kind of "Weird thing in a jar" for my GSC like pic related