/osrg/ Old School Renaissance General

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.
If we like your blog, we'll know when it updates.

>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous thread:

When is the dungeon safe enough to break for lunch?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamepieces.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/character-generators-for-weird-dark-ages.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_modules
9and30kingdoms.blogspot.com/2011/05/clerics-without-spells.html
9and30kingdoms.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-on-clerics-without-spells.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When you find a safe room that's clear of hazards and where wandering monsters get to.

This is gonna sound dumb, but how does exceptional strength work?

I have a pretty unique combat system that I want to iron out one last detail; relating to fighter progression.

Basically, combat works like this.
>Roll your class HD (Sage is d6, Rogue is d8, Fighter is d10) at the start of each round
>Higher rolls goes first. If you roll a 6 or better, your attack has advantage. If you roll a 10 or better, you automatically hit.
>You just roll d20 vs AC + strength bonus for your attacks
>Everyone uses their class die (d6, d8, or d10) for damage on a hit, regardless of weapon.

Now my question is, how should Fighters advance here? I've been thinking of letting them get bonus attacks per level, which is probably the easiest, but how should the advantage/auto hit go for every single attack? Or just the first attack? Perhaps more damage per level instead?

If you roll 18 strength AND you start as a fighter, you roll d% and note it on your sheet.
They provide extra bonuses. You can think of 18/01 to 18/50 as 19 strength, 18/51 to 18/75 as 20, and so on.
Note that the *real* 19 strength has higher bonuses than 18/00 and is pretty much just for giants.

The 18/50 bracket is slight better than 18 in 2e, but in AD&D they give the same bonuses.

You knows those Greek stories where superhumans lob boulders or suplex three dudes at once?
Exceptional strength is that. You don't just lift, you're strong to the point that it seems abnormal.

Any bonus to hit at all?
Damn, there's something jarring about that in an old school game where everything seems relatively more grounded

Better everything on the strength tables.
If it's high enough to gurantee forcing stuck doors, you get a chance to force magically barred doors too.

Who is the most powerful wizardyou've ever encountered in your OSR adventures?

18/00 is twice as good as 18.

How do you like...extra days in BECMI/AD&D. This is really weird to ask, but like 60 days of just sticking to town. How does that even happen in town? I know that characters could perhaps get their own personal quests during this time, but I still can't seem to comprehend it.

Back when getting healing magic was not a given you whould have to chill out at a rate of 1hp healed a week or some such. This is a good chance to suck money out of PCs in the way of room & board. Maybe do light rp stuff if your group wants or just say it’s been two months and subtract the players cash and go back to adventuring. Maybe drop a line about possibly adventures and rumors they heard while chilling out.

not the same guy you responded to, but; what would happen with 18/50 or 18/00 dexterity? you could like jump over a house, or shoot the moon in the eye? or would you become a plain d&d thief?

Wizards are tremendously overrated.

for those like me who have a strange obsession about making non-adventurer proffessions playable on games:

gamepieces.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/character-generators-for-weird-dark-ages.html

I found this ages ago, and everytime I re-read it it inspires me a lot.

So is that how this general dies? Constant blog shilling, name fagging, trying to one up each other for (You)s instead of producing quality content like we used to?

Used to be when the general was full of shitposting we'd ease up on them for a while and go a month or two without one.

Strength is the only stat that gets an exceptional bonus at 18.

Can I get some tables or ideas for a apocalyptic fantasy wasteland? I have a few already but want some fresher ideas than my own brain shits out.

I usually have things that people can do in town. Downtime actions. Like research and learning languages and building and rulership and stuff, depending on scale.

I got rid of to hit rolls guys. I'm trying to do it like: Roll initiative, then straight damage turn after turn.

Strenght adds up to damage (all weapons do d6 damage) when we're talking about heavy melee weapons

Dexterity adds to ranged damage. To portray the chance of missing a target, all targets have +2 armor plus whatever they're wearing. So untrained guys can only do 4 damage.

How should I address small melee weapons like knives, fencing swords, whips, etc?

+ dex damage?
+ no bonus at all? after all, they already benefit from DEX by getting better initiative. Adding a second bonus would make DEX fighters straight better than STR ones as they would strike just as good and also strike first most of the time.
But its weird that an unskilled peasant can fence just like a high dexterity elf. I don't know guys.

Maybe some kind of penalty to DEX based damage?

What to do?

>blog shilling

If you mean it for ; not everybody is shilling their own blog. Only interesting articles. Even if it was my own, it is related and can generate a good discussion.

>I got rid of to hit rolls guys
Not OSR

Mutants have taken over a mine
An experiment has gone out of control
Zombie outbreak

>Not OSR

Thats what you say. Check Into the Odd at the very trove, is great. Anyhow I like it.

Rules Cyclopedia/BECMI or AD&D.

>at the very trove
Just because it's in the trove doesn't make it OSR
Or are you going to say that Dungeon World is OSR because it's also in the trove?

I agree with the other user, this is not OSR.

AD&D.

Giants pushing to-scale tin men around for Kriegsspiel.

What are the top mechanics I need to have referenced when playing ACKs?

Lets say the thief is down for the count and another class grabs his lockpicks and attempts to charm a lock, with no prior experience.

1-in-6 chance? 1-in-10? Some %?

Rules Cyclopedia

Who is the most powerful clericyou've ever encountered in your OSR adventures?

Grab a few paper clips and try picking a lock and see how hard it is for someone with no prior experience?

At best probably their dex-mod-in-100 chance.

A force doors check and a wandering monater roll for being loud.
If they fail the check, they break a tool.
If they pass but roll a monster, they break the lock.

Has there ever been a truer statement about OSR?

To an extent. However, AD&D-level modifiers aren't too crazy. 3e is when attribute scaling went off the rails.

+4 to-hit, +6 damage

Is the
3- -3
4-5 -2
6-8 -1
9-12 +0
13-15 +1
16-17 +2
18+ +3
scale acceptable, with the modifiers applied as they were in 3.x?
Barely anyone will have a +3, most people will have +1 or +2 at best. Doing 3d6 rolls then arrange, for a happy medium.

3d6 for all seven stats
Rolled in order
Final destination

I do let them roll up two characters and pick one

>seven
You mean wealth as the seventh?

I use that, yeah.
Arranging stats feels too flexible to me. I'd give them one minor way to customise (swapping two numbers, flipping the values, adding and subtracting, or whatever), but I want it to be pretty close to 'you play what you roll'

Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Looks, Charisma

Yeah I like the swap-two method more, myself. The game I am working on is to try to get PF fags into OSR and they will stroke out if they can't choose as much about their character as possible. I am even putting in feats. No skills, but feats. Trust me, they are very much a side thing compared to 3.pf where they are vital. Considering adding a mystic class for my friend who likes playing stuff from the occult adventures book.

It'll probably turn out horribly but whatever. Was running Pathfinder on roll20 against my will for some members of my group who can't make IRL sessions anymore, and one of them said "I don't see why anyone would play anything but Pathfinder" and I struggled to maintain my respect for him as a human being.

>tfw no 17/18 qt knight gf

And that was, notably, an EXCEPTIONAL score. Chances are, you get maybe a +1 to damage.

I personally don't have a problem with feats, provided they aren't used as a tax to perform basic actions. Compare power attack to cleave, for example; fighters should just be able to power attack inherently, but you can make a case for cleave to be a learned skill.

Where should I look for a half-orc race as class?

I would start by asking "How are they different from humans?".
Because if the answer is "They have slightly green skin and little tusks." then I would say they are mechanically humans.

BFRPG downloadable supplements.

I saw an OSR remake of 5e, and where it didn't just copy and paste the PHB it mostly just gave each class a bunch of dead levels.

Is this what you guys are into? Why? Or was that just some shit?

>Or was that just some shit?
This one.

>BFRPG
>Race-as-class
Pick one.

I find it weird to get rid of to hit rolls. Why did you choose to do that?

How do you guys handle healing? I haven't tested this out yet but wanted to give some bonuses for spending extra money on good inns.

>Short Rest: Medicine Check + Con Mod

>Long Rest: Depends on conditions.
>Dungeon: Heal 1HD + Con Mod + Med Check
>Cheap Inn: Heal 1HD + Con Mod + Med Check + Level
>Moderate Inn: Heal 2HD + Con Mod + Med Check + Level
>Expensive Inn: Heal Fully, +1 HD Temp HP

OSR classes don't really have class features in the 5e sense, they mostly just get better at things they can already do rather than gaining new powers by default. I'm supposing that's what that homebrew was trying to do, but 5e puts too much weight on archetypes and class features for it to really work. Maybe if you cut down levels in half and rebalanced around that.

Honestly, I like it better the OSR way. 5e mixes fluff and crunch too much in its classes for my liking, and balancing classes around max-level characters (like how fighters are technically super awesome and much better than the other martials at raw damage if and only if you get one to level 20, and generally how a lot of theorycrafting revolves around "capstones" and other shit that won't ever come up in 90% of campaigns) just seems stupid.

Gotta say that being able to fully heal in one night without some sort of magic seems very excessive. In fact, for a character who has been particularly bashed up, being able to fully heal in one WEEK is already very fast.

can't be hard to houserule something.
fighter + infravision and some tweaking.

My players usually get pretty beat up. We use a Death/Dismemberment Table as well. If I go by core rules of only gaining a couple of hit points a week, my players would have to return to town for a week after every encounter in a dungeon. That just doesn't seem fun to me, but we're all pretty new to OSR (coming from 5e where it was extremely tough for them to get knocked out, let alone die).

How do you balance Healing and actual Fun?

The hells wrpnf with downtime? Do you run away from home as a peasant and return a week later as a baron?

BFRPG makes provisions to recreate race-as-class. The dwarf and halfling are fighters of their respective races and the elf is a fighter/magic-user "combination class" (which only elves can use)

A half orc using their supplement gets a +1 to reaction rolls, darkvision and +1 to death ray saving throws. Slap a restriction that they can only be fighters and you're done. Although it says on all the statblocks that half-races get a BONUS to XP, which I'm guessing was a typo

Nothing is wrpnf with downtime, but from a players' standpoint, my friends are coming over to play a game, roll some dice, kill some monsters, and steal some treasure. Stopping that to go into town for some roleplay may be fun every once in a while, but isn't what we're there to play.

Maybe just let them heal all their hit dice on a expensive inn, and leave fully healing for when they're staying at the care of elven healers or whatever?

user, I...

Although, in general, if all you want is for them to heal and move on, sure, your idea works fine. Mostly I'd have fluff issues

You could just say "You spend X amount of days in town resting, it costs X amount of gold. Do you plan to do anything else in this time?"
That way they can do as little or as much as they want.

Different styles for different players I suppose. I'm not against down time at all. But how do you keep your players entertained during it if they're not good roleplayers?

I'm not saying that you can't speed up healing compared to core rules, but you shouldn't go overboard with it. Healing faster when you're in comfortable conditions(possibly with servants even bringing you food to your rooms in an expensive inn) makes a certain amount of sense, but it should be maybe twice as fast as normal healing(whatever you decide that normal should be), not "Whoa! My wounds are all gone!" level of healing.

Also, magical healing does exist even if the party doesn't have a cleric. Maybe there's a friendly cleric in town who is willing to help the PCs get on their feet faster. Maybe the local hedge doctor/witch/wise woman/whatever can make special brews and poultices from mystical herbs that greatly speed up healing provided you stay in a bed and rest(which would obviously stop them from being used in dungeons). And so on.

It's less troublesome if you remember that hit points aren't meat points. It's supposed to fold in fighting spirit and general weariness and stuff, which ought to be restored faster by a stay at a nice inn with a hot meal and a comfortable bed than a night at a flophouse with bread and water and a straw mat on the floor sandwiched between a guy who snores and a chronic masturbator.

Downtime doesn't have to mean spend 30 minutes speaking in silly voices with the innkeeper.
Researching a new spell, learning a language, carousing, building a castle or other such thing, are all downtime activities.
Having slower healing gives players a chance to do all those things if they want, instead of feeling pressured to always go back into the dungeon immediately.

This is absurdly fast. I don't mind getting better healing for extra money on good inns, but I'd have it top out at a few hit points per day. If that.

This is why a lot of people have "in-game time = out-of-game time" so that a week passes between each session, you know.

trying to make 5e OSR is shit.
trying to make 5e OSR is half of why the game is as shitty as it is.

Why tho? Sorry, should've asked.

>SAFETY FIRST
>“Lastly, your emotional safety is more important than any game, so if something comes up in the story or at the table that makes you feel uncomfortable or is ruining
your fun let us know. We can change that detail, fade to black, or take a break if needed. Likewise, check in with your fellow players before introducing an element to the story that you know might be difficult or triggering.

why are there so many gay storygames in the trove inbox

Elves can get 19 dexterity by rolling 18 on the ability score and adding their racial bonus.
Needless to say, what you're attempting still has to be physically possible, but at 19 you are quicker than any natural human.has been or will be.

It feels nice. Rolling to hit means a lot of dead rolls that are just a "miss".
Rolling damage and getting a low result gives you the same effect. If you don't roll over your target's armor (with armor being 1 or 2 points of damage reduction) is just like a miss.

They were clearly put there by mistake and should be deleted.
>emotional safety
>from something completely unrelated to your own life
Why don't those people get locked in a padded room forever and wear a strait jacket? It's the only way they'll avoid all discomfort.

>If you don't roll over your target's armor (with armor being 1 or 2 points of damage reduction) is just like a miss.
In other words, you get dead rolls anyway and thus your rule fails to solve the problem you were trying to solve.

actually is not specifically gay. You can use this rule in your favor if you're triggered by two human villagers displaying homosexuality in public

Do you agree or disagree?

A horse that has been beaten to death...
but how to make Clerics and MU's mechanically different?
I don't like combining them into a Sage class.
I've considered making a "Faith" skill (d6). In order to cast a spell, the Cleric must make a Faith check to see if his deity answers the Prayer (spell). But it also seems like it would limit the Cleric's usefulness.

My opinion is that if something is actually making you uncomfortable, excuse yourself from the table until it is over. No need to remove or skip something that the other people may have been enjoying.

Bump. Any other first-level dungeon modules besides TotSK?

>first-level dungeon modules
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_modules

Clerics cast spontaneously but can't learn or create anything that isn't on their spell list.

The way I do it is : the player roll to hit, if they succeed they roll damage, if they fail the monster rolls damage. If there are several monsters, it's harder for the player to hit and it's the most powerful monster who does the damage. No dead rolls and more granularity.

>I don't like combining them into a Sage class.

They're ALREADY pretty different.

Yeah but is just one roll for assault, not two.

That was my second option.

Not specifically for OSR, but I've been toying with the idea of priests that, instead of getting spells, can request miracles that are randomly rolled(representing their god's incomprehensible will). The miracles would be separated onto multiple tables, and powerful clerics could choose between more powerful effects and exerting a degree of control over the roll(possibly rolling twice and choosing the result they want or just modifying the roll by up to x points). So for instance, for offensive miracle you could get anything from a plague of locusts to a pillar of flame.

But of course, such system would have a number of issues and even if you manage to solve them, I'm not sure it would be all that fun in play.

>I have a problem
>Here's a solution to a similar problem.
>But it's not a solution to MY problem.

He wants to make them MORE different, not remove the differences.

There's already something like this floating around, isn't it? Cleric spellcasting was based on turn undead or something like that

If you wanna get rid of the double rolling issue, why not have the to-hit roll count as a damage roll as well. You roll, add your bonus, and then see how far over their AC you get. The difference is the damage dealt, but limited by the max damage of the weapon. So if they have an AC of 12, you're using a weapon that deals 1d6, you have a STR bonus of +1, and you roll a 14, it goes as follows.
(14 + 1) - 12 = 3, which is less that 7 (the max damage you could deal with that weapon).
So you deal 3 damage to your opponent.
If you want critical hits and stuff, you could have them deal max damage or do something neat.

Probably. It's not a particularly unique idea, and I can't even take credit of coming up with it by myself. I saw a screencap of Moses from Veeky Forums that toyed with a similar mechanism a long time ago.

Here it is
9and30kingdoms.blogspot.com/2011/05/clerics-without-spells.html
9and30kingdoms.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-on-clerics-without-spells.html

Double bump. Really need an answer for a campaign I'm doing tomorrow. It's bad enough ACKs doesn't have its spells grouped by levels.
Graci

You know, I'm really surprised you haven't gotten a hostile reaction by now with how much you try to force the sage thing.

Barbarians of Lemuria has a neat way of handling priests and cleric types. They have a pool of points they can use to give others boons and flaws based on the god they worship, regaining them when performing rituals and holding services for their gods during downtime.