Extra Credits - The Warhammer Licensing of video Games

ITT: Talking about the licensing strategy of GW for video games.
(cos Extra credit made a good video about it and i'd like to get your opinions)
"Games Workshop started handing out bits of the Warhammer License like candy - but did it work? We think so! They used the great detail of the Warhammer Universe to distribute risk and create tiers of investment in games with varying quality levels, resulting in a test bed for small studios and a template for working with big ones."

Sources:
Last video
youtube.com/watch?v=BtY3Lto_lR4
First Video
youtube.com/watch?v=GOVrmfXolQg

Well, Vermintide and TW:W came out of it, so i consider it successful. And what he said about shitty games making you want better games with the IP applies to me at least.

Well the main issue that EC was seeing was that Bad games would damage they IP of GW.
It seems that it didn't happened.

Games wise we got a lot of great games and like he said, I haven't seen a lot of the bad games.

Ive never heard of snotling fling but that sound like it could be so bad its good. Has anyone here played the game? If so, what was it like?

Seems it's an catapult game in 3D for android.
Haven't played it though.

Aren't these the same guys who did that newage psuedo science shit? Spirit Science or something? Why do they care about 40k?

Nah, the Spirit Science dude just stole their style and looks for his shit

They have 3 series:
Extra Credits : the main one is about games, more precisely Game design but sometimes not.
Extra history : the second one is about *drum rolls* history, very nice if you like that sort of stuff.
Extra Sci-fi : the new one (only 5 videos) is about sci-fi i general but for now the only series there is is about Frankenstein (the book)

>there will never be a game of third person shooter skirmishes inside the destructible industrial spires of the underhive where you can play as either part of a deathwatch kill team, genecult hybrid brotherhood, freeboota boyz, harlequin troupe, chaos marines cult, mechanicus team, necron reclamation force or tau expansion scouts

>there will never be a game where you play as a knight titan or as part of a bigger titan fighting other god-machines, xeno-constructs and warped abominations while stomping over the arnies of an epic battle

>there will never be a racing-shooter hybrid game of fully customisable orkish vehicles in the scrap-filled wastes of gorkamorka

>there will never be a truly massively multiplayer battle experience with hundreds of other people playing as infantry and piloting vehicles of the legiones astartes during the horus heresy

They did make a game where you pilot a knight. It was a shity android phone game on rails shooter with micro transactions for parts. Not even a cockpit view, it was a fixed third person camera that would swing around sometimes of its own accord.

>there will never be a game of third person shooter skirmishes inside the destructible industrial spires of the underhive where you can play as either part of a deathwatch kill team, genecult hybrid brotherhood, freeboota boyz, harlequin troupe, chaos marines cult, mechanicus team, necron reclamation force or tau expansion scouts
Completely doable but maybe with only two teams

>there will never be a game where you play as a knight titan or as part of a bigger titan fighting other god-machines, xeno-constructs and warped abominations while stomping over the arnies of an epic battle
Doable too but less likely cos big ass fighting games are not very trendy, maybe as a small mobile game.

>there will never be a racing-shooter hybrid game of fully customisable orkish vehicles in the scrap-filled wastes of gorkamorka
Doable too, somewhat easily, like the old lego racing game but with orks

>there will never be a truly massively multiplayer battle experience with hundreds of other people playing as infantry and piloting vehicles of the legiones astartes during the horus heresy
Planetside 2 with 40k IP

bump

>Well the main issue that EC was seeing was that Bad games would damage they IP of GW.

I doubt it. GW IP has been used for some bad games. Storm of Vengeance was Plants vs Zombies with Dark Angels and Orks for example.

GW being miniature and board game makers are really in a different field that it won't impact them... I mean no one would say these games failed because of the setting, but because microtransactions, poor controls, etc.

As an example, no one is going to hate Star Wars because of Battlefront II - they're going to blame loot-boxes (game mechanic) and the publisher EA, etc.

And meanwhile there's no Age of Smegmar videogames on sight.

How does it feel to love such a shitty IP, Age of Shitmar Cuckolds?

Yeah, I'd agree with their conclusions, overall - some of their premise I'd maybe question - GW from what I can dimly recall were always a bit scattershot with their licences, and have had a hand in some poor games.

Actually what I'd say is that there was a third "era" of GW games and licensing, before the "give the full rights all to one big studio" - they licensed things out to smaller studios, but it was much less effective - being the nineties/early 000's the budgets were still a lot higher - now if you licence to a small studio, it's 3 guys making a mobile game, back then there was quite a lot more, so when it was shit it mattered.

It also came to an end at the start time when GW were starting to scale back everything non-core (and LotR was making a huge impact in the company), in which context it made sense to consolidate all the digital stuff into one studio licence that they don't have to worry about.

I they're on point with the way GW are successfully letting little guys play with tiny chunks of the IP (snotling fling sounds amusing, even if it's just Not!Angry Birds), letting big guys with known skills do the real deal - like Total War Warhammer (even accounting for the flub that is releasing it right as you change the IP) and while allowing stuff that stops working to slide away into obscurity (I genuinely didn't think BFG was still going, but when I saw it it looked cool) - overall I'd say it's a win for them - much like everything else with nuGW, it's not the best you could ask for, but it's fairly decent and seems to be working out

>for working with big ones."
Such as..?

>>there will never be a game of third person shooter skirmishes inside the destructible industrial spires of the underhive where you can play as either part of a deathwatch kill team, genecult hybrid brotherhood, freeboota boyz, harlequin troupe, chaos marines cult, mechanicus team, necron reclamation force or tau expansion scouts
If all those groups are in the same place then that sounds like a spastic clusterfuck. At least Dark Crusade and Soulstorm took place on planets and a solar system respectively.

>>there will never be a game where you play as a knight titan or as part of a bigger titan fighting other god-machines, xeno-constructs and warped abominations while stomping over the arnies of an epic battle
That sounds good though. There was a mecha game on old X-box and PC back in the 2000s that was like that. Can't remember the name of it but the big battles were great.

Would play the shit out of that.

Probably for the best, MOBA communities are garbage and I can only imagine it would bring together the worst elements of /v/ and Veeky Forums (so every bit as shitty as the MtG generals).

>Extra Credit
Fuck off.

nice argument faggot

If you've ever seen their spectrum crunch video, it's enough

Not him but they're fucking shit, why not post the mobile phone one? Where we are running out of radio waves like the faggot says.

> a video from 5 years ago is outdated
you don't say

GW legal and corporate probably cares less about "damage" to the WHFB IP now that is is "deprecated" and "replaced" by AoS.

If they shitcanned AoS we'd probably see some AoS games happen.

>outdated
No, it was so incorrect it hurts when it was made and I haven't seen their material improve much in that regard since. EC is fucking retarded.

EC is terrible any time they discuss game design. It's either banal as shit or outright wrong. But when they are more about dissecting behavior or policies they are passable.

Is Man o War any good? I love the idea of a sandbox naval game for Warhammer but the reviews have been surprisingly mixed.

No, it's just Gell-Man amnesia effect.

>stole their style and looks for his shit
which is hilarious

Tried it, but it was pretty shit. It played like someones first flash project.

Total War: Warhammer among others

Isn't there a hack'n'slash in the making?

>Total War: Warhammer
Non-supported game.
Next

Wahahaha

That, to my understanding is old world stuff.

They are the ratards who said that we are running out of internetz

>non supported game
>sequel just came out and the third is already in the works
>multiple DLCs, patches, even if quality thereof is debatable
>non-supported

They bring in guest artists and switch main artists all the time. Didn't he draw a few of their episodes?