RuneQuest

What can Veeky Forums tell me about this system?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedesignmechanism.com/downloads.php
chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/RuneQuest/CHA4027 - RuneQuest Quickstart.pdf
reddit.com/r/Runequest/comments/4bxs5y/a_short_guide_to_runequesteditions_or_what_the/
chaosium.com/blog/13th-age-in-glorantha-update-chapter-5-layout-sample/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's called Mythras now, and is extremely well designed.

This, so it is Mythras now.

Also, it is highly customizable, for example, you have 9 different magic systems to choose from and five of those are in the core book. So you can have high magic power games or grim low magic games. It also has a somewhat lethal combat which means all fights can turn into a survival situation. It actually does a great job of grimdark games because of its simulationist nature.

It uses percentile systems so you can easily modify the skill system and for my preference, it is much easier to use because you can easily see your chances in percentile form.

I highly recommend it to everyone who wants to play something other than D&D.

I would recommend Classic Fantasy using Mythras for anyone who *did* want to play D&D.

It gives a bunch more races, includes classes and class progression, D&D spells and creatures, and raises the capabilities of players by giving them more luck points.

In addition, they release a new module every month for it.

It's probably the best game Veeky Forums won't talk about.

It's dope if you're into swords & sorcery or really specific types of high fantasy like Glorantha or OSR.

Veeky Forums always refuses to talk about good things.

It also has Mythic Britain and Mythic Rome books for a more flavourful game if you want that sort of thing. Mythic Rome is one of my personal favourites.

Is the base system a pure point buy thing, class based, or something else? Also, if I want to run Mythras in Glorantha, what book should I get for the purpose of the setting?

There is no class in Mythras. It has carriers but they are vastly different from classes. It is a skill based system and yes it uses point buy. However, if you want classes, Classic Fantasy module has classes built in it, I suggest you check out it.

Mythras no longer uses Glorantha because of copyright reason so it uses not!Glorantha, Thennla. You can get the free setting book from their site.

If you really, really, really want to use Glorantha, I suggest looking at the RQ6 modules.

RQ6 has no Gloranthan modules. It has a rudimentary runic structure outlined in the rules that Mythras lacks, but for Glorantha you'll need to go to even older editions and do the (minimal) conversion-work.

The normal way to play is rolled stats, point buy skills, initial skill proficiency determined by culture and profession. Social structures are important, and you have a lot of background help to work with to fit with your culture well.

Each session you get some XP rolls to improve skills, or you can pay for training.

If you really want to play Glorantha just wait a bit till Runequest Glorantha comes out.

They allready have a demo-version online.

Yeah, you could do that however, I would just use the setting part and use Mythras as the system as I am not impressed with the RuneQuest Glorantha.

chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/RuneQuest/CHA4027 - RuneQuest Quickstart.pdf

You can get it here

>Dungeoning Adventures, droo Style!

So this is confusing.

What are the differences between RuneQuest, Classic Fantasy, RQ6, Glorantha, Mythras and RuneQuest Glorantha? Can someone delineate each item?

RuneQuest is the name of the whole series, like Dungeons and Dragons is for D&D.

Mythras is RuneQuest 6th edition.
-Classic fantasy is a Mythras variant, using its rules to make a more D&D oriented adventure. This dude summed it up nicely. Runequest Glorantha is the upcoming edition (Edition 7 if you will)

Glorantha is the setting that the creaters of Runequest started playing it. It's very expansive and a lot of people really like it (including me). Its a very unique setting. Bronze age oriented and stuff. King of Dragon Pass plays in the same setting if you know that game.

What the difference is between RQ6/Mythras and other editions I wouldn't know. I exclusively play RQ3 which is almost exactly the same as RQ2

>RuneQuest and RuneQuest 6

The Design Mechanism composed of some of the original writers that developed and published Runequest games, up to RQ6. They worked with the Chaosium.

>Mythras

After RQ6 they lost the name rights of RuneQuest and it's setting Glorantha. So they published the same game(with a few corrections and general improvements) under the name Mythras, however, they stripped the fluff associated with Glorantha.

>Classic Fantasy

Classic is just a module of Mythras. It introduces class and levelling system into to game. So essentially you play with Classic Fantasy if you want your game to feel more D&Dish.

>RuneQuest Glorantha

Chaosium gathered a new team including Moon Desing. They still have the rights to RuneQuest and Glorantha. So RuneQuest Glorantha is the game they are going to publish.

Here is a more detailed explanation;
reddit.com/r/Runequest/comments/4bxs5y/a_short_guide_to_runequesteditions_or_what_the/

You can check out the Mythras rules for free too. Get the Mythras Imperative from their site

I only playe RQ II and III back in the 1990's.
I liked it.

RuneQuest is the old Gloranthan RPG that served as a basis for the BRP-system. Glorantha is a fantasy setting. The new RQ Glorantha soon to be released is, after shenanigans up the wazoo, a return to the original game. RQ6 is arguably the best incarnation to date. Mythras is RQ6 after the license got yanked. Classic Fantasy is additional rules for RQ6/Mythras allowing for oldschool D&D-style play.

Basically,

>RuneQuest Glorantha is based on RQ2
>Mythras is based on RQ6

I keep wanting to run a Mythras game, but I feel it is too complicated for some of my less gifted players.

Try it with the Mythras Imperative, it is the rules light simplified version of the full game. Someone linked the pdf in this thread.

Skill system is actually really easy to use and understand because it is in percentile. However, combat system does take some time getting used to. There are more roles involved in combat because you can actively parry or evade but once you get used to it, it flows smoothly.

play RQ 2 or 3 instaed

I can understand maybe RQ3 but RQ2 is more complicated and involves more bookkeeping then Mythras, on what basis are you recommending it?

RQ6 is the most streamlined RuneQuest version out there and Myhtras streamlines it even more.

I play 3 and I taught 3 was the same as 2 instead of a sorcery system and encumbrance rules. (I ignore both by the way)

RQ6/Mythras blows everything else out of the water, but at a cost.
RQ2 might be clunkier than Mythras, but more complicated and involved? Nope. That's stretching it, user.

Ah, thank you.

Is Mythras Imperative the best place to start for beginners?

Well, for example, let's talk about weapon skills.
RQ2 uses skills for each individual weapon, so you have to separately keep track of every weapon you.

In Mythras however, your weapon skills are bundled into Combat Styles so you can keep track of just one skill and combat styles can be adjusted by GM to your liking.

Definitely. Play a short game with it to see if you like D100 system then if you really miss classes and levelling branch out to full book and Classic Fantasy.

>Combat Styles
Ooh, I like this.

Has RQ7 come out yet?

Is it/will it be better or worse? What changes are being made?

I really like the system too. You can hand-tailor specific combat styles for different factions, cultures, regions or even country. For instance, you can create a specific combat style for gladiators focusing on gladius and scutum.

Oh, you can also augment this combat styles with traits. For example, we can give our Gladiator combat style a trait called Throw weapons so they can throw every melee weapon for halved damage in gladiator style with no penalties.

There is really a ludicrous amount of customizing options if you want to do it.

>Has RQ7 come out yet?
It is called RuneQuest Glorantha and so far they published an online demo version of it.

>Is it/will it be better or worse? What changes are being made?

See .It is mostly personal preference and we do not know all the changes because it is not fully released.

You can compare the demo version with the Mythras to see for yourself. Speaking for myself I am a fan of Mythras because I really liked RQ6 and what they have done with it.

Hmm.

Does anyone have a breakdown of how many people are playing what version?

What's the most popular version now?

That's clunk, not complexity.

There is no definitive way to tell for certain but I am pretty sure the most played version is RQ6 right now.

It is mostly because of the magic system but I can't be arsed to expand upon it.
Mythras is still relatively new and still gaining traction but it is well on his way. Also, you might as well play Mythras if you are going to play RQ6 anyway.

Aaww, Mythras Imperative has no magic.
I wanted to try all those cool magic schools. I guess I'll have to get the full book for that.

RQG is a huge step back in design from Mythras. Especially in combat and the fucking resistance table.

If you want to try the magic, definitely get the full book. It has 5 different magic systems. You could still use Mythras imperative for your first campaign but also include your preferred method of magic into it.

This desu.

I have nothing to add to the current discussion but I saw that there was a sci-fi book called M-Space that looked pretty interesting when I was searching for a cyberpunk ruleset

Here, user. Take this no longer available one instead.

M-Space is d100 Traveller. Not a lot of cyber in it.

Its not a step back if you don't like maneuvers.

I really dislike the system because percentile dice are a shit, but the setting of Glorantha is easily the best fucking thing to ever happen.

Also I admire having several different magic systems in place,especially the commoner folk magic. Not enough systems think about that stuff.

I thought about doing a Pendragon/ D&D mod to replace the percentile system. Each 10% in a roll counts as a +1 bonus.

Nice, thanks!

>I really dislike the system because percentile dice are a shit, but the setting of Glorantha is easily the best fucking thing to ever happen.
It's like you're the anti-me. d100 is my go-to for everything, but I really don't care much about Glorantha.

> percentile dice are a shit

Please elaborate.

Then Mythras is really for you because it got rid of the Glorantha completely.

I just took the setting wholesale and put it into GURPS. Told the players they'll all play Orlanthi who are TL2 and we went our merry way.

Putting a single point into some skill hardly feels like an upgrade
Because of the huge overshot between base value (which is like 20 for most d100 systems, don't even remember how R6 handled it) and 100% it feels like you can't make a character halway competent unless you dump all your points in that one skill at chargen
Rolling 00 and then another 0 to get 100 feels like absolute fucking bullshit

You know that even the most basic starter char starts with 250 skill points right?

Also, you increase it somewhere from 1d4+1 to 1d6+4. In lowest form, it is a %5 increase which is the same as getting a +1 bonus on d20.

starts with 350* skill points

>Rolling 00 and then another 0 to get 100 feels like absolute fucking bullshit

What is the problem here exactly?

If you dump all your points into one skill in Mythras you'll be around 70-80% on that skill and still have other skills at 50%.

Plus you can train your skills with money and time, and all fumbles give an auto +1% the next time you get an XP roll (which is almost every session).

>Putting a single point into some skill hardly feels like an upgrade
It's still an upgrade, but I see your point.

>Because of the huge overshot between base value (which is like 20 for most d100 systems, don't even remember how R6 handled it) and 100% it feels like you can't make a character halway competent unless you dump all your points in that one skill at chargen
Consider that BRP (the base system at the bottom of all this) considers a skill level of 25 to be base profiency - the point where simple tasks don't require rolling. Sticking with RQ6, a starting character will start with a good handful of skills in the 50- 60's. If minmaxing, you can manage to push one or two of them into the 80s. Add to this that passions, magic and circumstances can add to those values, and you can wind up with good numbers.

>Rolling 00 and then another 0 to get 100 feels like absolute fucking bullshit
Wat?

Points are divided into three different steps and each step allows you to put only +20 in a single skill IIRC. We only played one campaign and did it by the book since we didn't feel safe with experimenting, but basicly ended up with a lot of focus in combat and not much anything else. Not saying my group is not to blame, but that was our experience

>What is the problem here exactly?
That a critical success roll has 1/10 chance of becoming a critical fluke and it feels like shit whenever that happens

But it does return the table based resolution rather than a much simpler compared roll.

>Because of the huge overshot between base value (which is like 20 for most d100 systems, don't even remember how R6 handled it) and 100%

That is not how it works. Your skills get their base value from your attributes. You can have a skill that starts up to 36 in base value without investing a single skill point into it. That is nearly %40 chance which is equal to a +4 in D20.

Honestly, it feels like your problems stem from not having a good knowledge of the system.

>basicly ended up with a lot of focus in combat and not much anything else

How did you even manage this, there is only so much point you can put into your combat style at some point you are bound to getting good at a different skill.

>%40 chance which is equal to a +4 in D20.
The math is obviously wrong but any way %40 equals to +8 in D20

Oh yeah, right. The basic value misunderstanding stems from Dark Heresy, which is also d100 and every stat starts off at 25 before you start applying background and stuff.

Still, having 36 as a base is uncommon as that requires both component stats maxed. And we used point buy, not rolls.

>That is nearly %40 chance which is equal to a +4 in D20.
False equivalence. You would do jack shit at 0% so calculating bonus from that is bullshit.

Mostly inexperience. Plus the fact that culture step requires you to put at least 5 in every skill listed and everyone tried to focus combat and survival skills as hard as possible, intimidated by the low HP values (not knowing that it's the negatives you need to worry about until well into the game)

I see now. Anyways, I am sure Myhtras and D100 in general, is not for everyone but seems your problems are likely tied to inexperience.

I urge you to give it one more shot, this time using point buy and not focusing solely on combat.

The correct way to do this is to think it in terms of skill checks. %40 corresponds to a 12 DC skill check which is on the lower end of medium.

Been playing RQ 2 since early 2000's. Inherited it from my brother. Never even touched DnD, and the only other systems we've used in our group were 40k system and song of ice and fire. RQ is by far the best of these.

There is a d20 variant in the making of Glorantha!

chaosium.com/blog/13th-age-in-glorantha-update-chapter-5-layout-sample/

I houseruled that long ago in my RQ3 campaign after looking at how Artesia did it.

That's true, it's not a step back if you don't like one of the best combat systems in gaming.

Bedbump for the RQ-thread

Thanks for the info.

>But man, those font ligatures are shiiiiiiiiiitt.

So where is this quest to find what runes? And why are they important?

>But man, those font ligatures are shiiiiiiiiiitt.
Heretic!

bump

Can we talk about Runequest here?

Sure. Can we talk about Glorantha here?

There's not enough drama in good games.

I liked the RQ knockback rules as a small kid.

Anything to bump it.

>Runequest
>dope if you like OSR
For the love of God learn what words mean before you say stupid shit like this.

Old School Renaissance? Or maybe Revival? Anyway, are you suggesting that RQ isn't oldschool, both in style and actual age? Then you are wrong.

All OSR is old school, but all old school isn't OSR. RQ is old school but not OSR. OSR is something very specific, what exactly, you can ask /osrg/. I think it's close though, so maybe OSR-adjacent like Traveller and DCC.

RuneQuest does have an OSR though:

This is... seriously not the same thing.

This is a D&D-emulator. I'd say it's more OSR if you don't use it.

I'm not familiar with it. What kind of D&D does it emulate, old-school TSR D&D, or modern WotC D&D?

/osrg/ got really pissy at me one time when I offhandedly mentioned that RuneQuest was an old school game. Not an OSR game, but an old school game.

Oh, funnily enough, I get why. Personally I think it's old school, but many think RQ is what started the new school style of gaming. It's far less abstract than old D&D and far more simulationist. I dunno, I can see it both ways, but I don't particularly care enough to think about it.

>this style of gameplay, first popularized by TSR in the 70s and 80s, is characterized by the exploration of dangerous dimly-lit areas with the goal of retrieving treasure while avoiding monsters and involves keeping strict records of time and resource usage
What else do you call modern games that specialize in this

>RQ is what started the new school style of gaming
It's literally this, and I *like* RQ. I think that's something to be proud of. It's pretty fucking undeniable either way, though.

>RQ was the original hipster game

I feel a bit dirty.

More reminiscent of the original AD&D.

Even with all the heroics turned up to max, pic related is still unlikely

>d100
It's shit.
You don't need that much granularity.

Someone [foo]pill me on RQ1. Why do people only mention 2 and 3? IS 1 really that much worse? What are the differences?

To my knowledge 1 is almost the same thing as 2, but 2 had more professional editing behind it.

>Soyboy

>he doesn't just have the probability of an action succeeding on his sheet

>RQ3 which is almost exactly the same as RQ2
Which time through the numbering are you referring to? The original RQ3 and RQ2 are quite different.

Because Mongoose *loves* sowing brand confusion...

It's more like the opposite, really. When OSR people criticize the new school it's basically for dropping all the shit that made OD&D work as a *game*, in favor of concerns like "more realism" (Steve Perrin's stated motivation in creating his house rules for OD&D that became Runequest was that stuff like ultimately becoming the equal of eight men in battle isn't a good simulation of how real combat works). In other words, the same concerns storygamers have with what they consider traditional TTRPGs, except the OSR are normally much less douchey about how they describe it; less "you're brain damaged for liking this" and more "these rules kinda leave important parts out that the original writers did not realize the importance of and either forgot to communicate or deliberately omitted". And games like Runequest DO require more work from the GM to create a fun campaign than the "just draw a dungeon bro, like don't bother with an overground map until three months in lmao" of OD&D.

Anyway the point is that as a much more simulationist ruleset that takes more work to run, RQ was the original *sperglord* game.

I think Chaosium is well on their way of having them beat..

First time, I own the 1984 edition.

>RQ was the original *sperglord* game
That would be Chivalry & Sorcery. Needed an RPN calculator for some mechanics.

C&S was published first, but the Perrin Conventions had already been circulating for at least a year in the fan circuit at that point.