What are harpies like in your setting, user?

What are harpies like in your setting, user?
Do they preen their feathers to look good?
Are they more like falcons, owls, tits, parrots...?
Do they make happy noises while eating?
Do they stay loyal to their partners for the rest of their lives?

In my setting, harpies poop from their ears.

boy I sure do love stealth furry threads on Veeky Forums
giving furfags their own containment board sure did a lot to teach them respect and proper manners

I think harpies are cool. Haven't used them much tho.

I think you are butthurt about your thread being closed and false flagging to stir shit.

Birds don't have fur, user

hot sophistry my man

Is there a monster that Dragons Dogma didn't knock out of the park? Their Harpies are great. They fly, they sing, they drop you from high up and then peck out your entrails.

They are a cross between a vulture and a human. The females have breasts that are covered by feathers.

Most are female but a few are males. They live in flocks on the edges of cliffs where their eggs can be guarded from predators. They leave to search for food, usually in the form of dying or dead sentients, and can fly many miles in a day. They hunt in packs but will usually wait for death to occur naturally because they are very cautious. If they do attack, it is because of a transgression against them or they are very certain the helpless creature cannot fight back.

The males are not allowed to leave the cliffs. They don't really live the good life and are a captive more than anything. They are a necessity to the flock and a rarity so they are closely guarded.

Finding them for the first time gave me quite a scare, actually.
I saw them on the trees but they looked like actual birds, so I didn't really pay them any mind.

They're vicious, hideous bird-human hybrids with bestial intelligence and a diet of human livers. Anything other than this is not a fucking harpy.

>they sing

So they just fused Harpies with Sirens.

Most Greek mythology creatures are basically monstergirls, ergo I don't use them.

>Most Greek mythology creatures are basically monstergirls, ergo I don't use them
>being so afraid of weeb shit that you see weeb shit everywhere

It makes sense to think that birdfolk would sing, though.

Not really, considering only some kinds of birds sing.

All birds sing, some just sing like shit

No, they don't. Look it up.

>not wanting to be serenaded by a series of rasping screeches and squawks

>most of them is only some kinds
I mean, you're technically not wrong. But still.

Not existent

If the setting has harpies, they're in there for one reason and one reason only, so I'm not really going to try to sugarcoat it with a bunch of pretense. They're bird-woman hybrids that kidnap mates and fuck them until their pelvis breaks for the purpose of producing offspring. They're sentient, so some of them may choose to keep a mate for life, some of them pump and dump, and some of them kill and maim their partners because they're fucked in the head.

I don't know, I don't really see the point in re-inventing the wheel.

I'm with this user here, once something has been created, there's no purpose in trying to make it different at all.
That's why we still live in caves and make fire by smashing two rocks against each other.

And I'm with THIS user here. If someone posts something, it's important to ignore all context and extrapolate their thought process to the most illogical extreme possible.

Honestly it’s a monstergirly (well honesty it’s a bunch of things) setting so they don’t attack humans, rather living on fruits or small animals.

They change by the type of bird they are. Raven harpies are intelligent, chicken harpies are flightless, etc.

I do not ever want to meet a turkey harpy.
Overweight, aggressive, ornery and with the IQ of a bag of potato chips someone left in the rain until the foil is the only thing that's left.

They’re one of the 5 beast tribe races birthed from ancient times by the demon named Chimera splitting himself with human tribes to protect them from being eradicated by an evil god.
In current times they’re a hermetic tribe that lives in the cliffs of the northern mountains. They usually don’t interact with the outside world unless they absolutely need to or the outside world comes to them.

I will ride one into battle

Oh and many of those are mean to each other.

For example, the Pygmy Owl harpy hunts songbird harpies.

There are very few species of harpy that even contemplate attacking humans or other humanoids.

Well they aren’t really “harpies” but they are

Basically they are animal spirits that appear when a large population of animals show up.

So basically you can have pit viper one or a pig one, and they are different.

Swarms of human-bird hybrids that will hunt and terrorize lone travelers leaving their mangled bodies hanging from tree branches

Shrike-Harpy?

They're closest to deadly seagulls in my setting. Many a sailor has brought trouble to his ship by carelessly leaving a meal on deck in harpy country

>extrapolate their thought process to the most illogical extreme possible
Saying that there's no point in reinventing the wheel is already the most illogical extreme possible, considering how many times the wheel has been reinvented, and continues to do so.

>Flock of hungry gull harpies spot a sailor eating some bread
>Instantly three of them dive for it
>Two collide midair, one keeps going
>Sailor looks up, gets face full of smol bird tiddies at high velocity
>Gets back up
>Bitch took half his breakfast

My point was that in this particular scenario, I don't feel any particular need to change up what already works. I'm not saying that literally nothing about fantasy would change, doubly so because I fucking hate with a burning passion the trend of fantasy being forever stuck in the middle ages and players reeing about shit like guns.

That being said though, if harpies are a part of the game they probably aren't going to be a focus, so I feel no particular need or inclination to change how they are on a fundamental level.

Pretty much.
My last game that involved seafaring, about 5 harpies smashed through the sail and swarmed a player because he was making a sandwich.

But can they be tamed by dickings?

They're always asking about stories.

Don't shrikes impale their prey, rather than leave them hanging?