TCG General

The holidays are coming! Let’s hear about your holiday plans.

What are you looking forward to getting or giving someone?
What would you buy for yourself if you could?
What are your gaming plans for the holiday season?

Fun activity for this thread:
Post your favorite card(s) from the game(s) you play and tell us why you love it!

Other urls found in this thread:

fowtcg.com/finder
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Personally, I picked up some DBZ (super cheap now) and DBS with a little Star Wars Destiny for myself. Looking forward to getting some of the new Magic Un-set for my gf.

I'd probably load up on the DBZ ultra rares/promos I'm missing if I could.

I usually get a group together New Year's Eve for some gaming, usually RPG one-shots, but I'll see what I can do this year.

Remember, TCCG is for discussing any and all TCGs!

As far as favorite cards goes, that's always a toughie. Do you guys remember the WotC Star Wars game? I loved cards with Bombard and Ion Cannon- they let you space units attack ground units, and vice-versa, respectively. Made things a lot more flexible, even if the cards themselves weren't cheap to build.

Red Shoulder Grab was one of my favorites from Pan-Z. It made for great anger gain with the mastery. Combo it with something like Red heel Kick and Red Double Strike and you can gain at least a level in one turn. With the looting and the ability to reuse cads from your discard a bit more later on, it was a great enabler for just comboing off in an MVVP deck.

Since a lot of the card games that don't get a lot of board time wind up in here, I feel I should point out when they get their own threads. There was a good Weiss Schwarz convo goin n earlier at and I know we have some Bushiroad fans that pop into the general at times.

I know we try not to post the Magical cards here but hey! Unstable releases next week! I'm buying two boxes. Gonna draft till I can't see straight.

The real gag of the set is that it's far more interesting a plane, with far more interesting mechanics and far better art and actual loving throwbacks than any set that's come out in the past three years.

I'm kinda looking forward to it too. I still need to figure out the inventions bit but I'm ok with that. Naturally all the really fun mechanics would be in a set not legal for anything else.

And all tcg's are good as far as I'm concerned, especially since it's relevant to my poor attempts at stating a discussion.

I think a new Star Wars Destiny pack is coming out soon too- Legacies? That looks pretty cool. Wedge Antilles getting some love is always good (I still think he's a better pilot than Poe)

Nothing tcg related for anyone but myself..sort of. Bought into Dragoborne, Caster Chronicles and FoW. Building around 5 decks of each based on meta lists online and on friendmas going to see which my group likes best.

Hoping on Dragoborne.

I'm a total TCG noob, but I'm finding Dragoborne a lot of fun.

It's a shame it has such a small community. My LGS has about 5 people that play it.

I havnt played much, but like that it has cool dragons and rpg magic-tier art, AND anime tiddies. The game play is also neet. The idea of starting on 3 mana is fascinating.
Ive been looking for players, in a big city so hoping!

So, I've been looking into Magic alternatives, given Unstable fucking up the last format I cared about.. anyone got something to say about Force of Will?

Its magic lite but has Kawaii art. If you like the Melvin side of Magic you'll probably enjoy it.

Sounds good so far. Does it play alright in multiplayer or should it be kept strictly duel?

Should play fine. Just like EDH. Personally, if your looking for a new game, try Dragoborne.

>TFW still want to make a Hecatomb custom deck gauntlet.

Custom storage for pentagonal cards is suffering.

I hope you find one you really like!

Yeah, I'm starting to hear more and more about Dragonborne but I'm not sure we have a place nearby that even sells it, much less have a cimmunity.

I didn't think anything from the Un-sets were legal in any constructed format?

As far as Force of Will, the basic rules are interesting and is an interesting take on Magic. I don't think they're set design is as good, but it's still fun enough.

Not sure if you're the right person to ask, but this is the right place: I was doing some tentative poking into FoW and found Yggdrasil, Malefic Verdant Tree and... is this thing as bonkers as it looks to my M:tG player eyes? As far as I know there's not a max deck size, so it seems like you could just grind people out via attrition with a massive tower of cards.

It's been a while since I looked over the FoW deckbuilding rules but I can't find anything about a max deck size. I'd assume it'd be like any other game though, and you have to be able to shuffle your deck without assistance, so there's probably a soft limit somewhere.

I'd think you'd still have issues building a deck that's workable if you put in too many cads though. If your opponent can build up a good field presence without you stopping it, you'd be taking a LOT of damage each turn and they could just burn through your deck.

Ok, here we go. In the updated Comprehensive Rules (Section 402.3, pg 12) a deck is maxed out at 60 cards now.

Yeah, I guess at some point the average card quality would go low enough that the extra effective health wouldn't be worth the shittier draws. I love the flavor of that thing, though, so as I explore the game I'll probably keep my eye peeled for any shit that works from RFG.

Think I'll nab a couple cheap starters. I may be a M:tG vet but honestly that could trip me up as much as it helps.

For the most part the game is patterned petty closely after Magic in how cards are keywords work, so I expect there won't be much of a leaning curve because of it, at least as far as gameplay goes. Deckbuilding and the like will take a while to get the hang of once you realize you don't have to worry so much about not hitting your land drops.

That's the exact reason I want to ease in with starters rather than just jumping to deckbuilding with singles... get some idea of how it feels to play a FoW deck that's, maybe not tuned, but at least intended to run "normally"

The starters in FoW (of the last two rounds) are also all 4 count of all starter deck exclusives (not counting the alternate full art pulls from packs) so you're probably going to grab one at some point or another.

I'm glad. I really hate it when they make "starters" you have to buy multiple copies of JUST to get enough copies of cards to play a decent deck. I think that's a point in their favor, to be honest.

The Rivals draft set will probably hit before Legacies. The latter was rumoured to hit on the 14th, but unless FFG has snuck all their shipments out under top security, I don't think they're going to hit that target.

Last FoW question from me for a while. Is there a good equivalent to Gatherer/Magiccards.info? The wiki seems to be a bit... behind

Alright, chums, how's L5R these days?

Final Fantasy TCG is my current favourite TCG. I bounced between TCG's since WOW TCG died and FFTCG has been filling the void that game left behind for me quite nicely.
New set came out yesterday and has some cool new shit most notable Monsters as a new card type.

Never seen it talked about on Veeky Forums though but it is pretty new so miht jjust need to grow before people start to discuss it on here.

Pic related, one of my favourite card arts from the new set.

>Pan-Z
I'll never understand how they managed to make the dbz ui even shittier.
So you never made foamcore inserts for your oop cards and miniatures?

>Remember, TCCG is for discussing any and all TCGs!
I oppose this simply because past D/TCG threads devolve into ygo and mtg spoonfeeding requests, both of which are better served elsewhere and it drowns out any discussion of really fantastic dead games.

>So you never made foamcore inserts for your oop cards and miniatures?
I'm not normally very crafty.

I don't know. I've been having trouble finding decent resources for games that aren't one of the "major" games in the industry.

I've thought about buying into FF but my LGS always seems to be out. Are the decks based on games (like FFVII deck versus FFX deck) or do you get to mix and match things?

Honestly, it was pretty decently made, even if I didn't agree with all their design choices.

We've had these threads more often than not lately and I disagree. There's usually a decent amount of discussion for smaller and dead games when the threads actually get going (it can be kinda hit or miss at times) but threads for just one smaller/dead game have a tendency to just outright die or get ignored. No one is stopping you from having "any discussion of really fantastic dead games" in here except yourself for not bringing them up.

>I don't know. I've been having trouble finding decent resources for games that aren't one of the "major" games in the industry.
Found one on the creator's own site. It's not perfect (no cross-referencing of Ruler with J-Ruler, which the wiki does), but unlike the wiki it's up to date fowtcg.com/finder

>Should mentioning YGO or MTG be OK?
Probably? I mean, M:tG at least has a number of dedicated, persistent generals in which it might be better to pose your questions but they keep the thread bumped.

db.fowtcg.us, it's the official US Judge's database so it includes rulings questions asked on cards.

>Are the decks based on games (like FFVII deck versus FFX deck) or do you get to mix and match things?
The starter decks are each based on a game. The resource system is tied to colors, but there is some synergy between characters from the same game (by name or by series, Type-0 is mostly Type-0 tribal for example)

So if I understand, basically you could mix and match if you wanted to, there's just (more?) synergy if you stick within one game or series.

There's another thread like this one over at and it seems to be doing pretty well. Not a whole lot of Magic or Yugioh either. I think it's fine.