Savage Worlds

>Savage Worlds
>Fighting some street thugs early on in game
>One of them takes cover around the corner from me
>Turn the corner, press my shotgun to his chest
>Beat his Parry, so he doesn't knock it away or anything
>Fire both barrels because I'm pissed at this guy for nearly killing my friend last turn
>Roll shit for damage
>He survives a fucking shotgun blast to the chest from zero range
GMs. At what point do you allow believability/logic to take the place of dice rolls? Would you have let something like this happen or would you have just said the thug died? I find it hard to believe a normal, unarmored human could survive that.

I certainly would have killed him or at least inflict some sort of disability, like broken ribs or something to make it clear that his shit was fucked up.
In cases like this I believe that realism/realistic judgement > dice roles.

I would either go for realism (thug gets fugged) or dismissing it (glancing blow, just grazed his arms: profusely bleeding)

>Broken ribs
They'd've been splattered on the wall behind him, along with his lungs and heart.

Your GM seems like an idiot because Savage Worlds misc mooks die extremely easily, you would probably have to roll snake eyes on the damage for him to tank it with stand kevlar, even then they're auto-shaken.

"the shot gun goes off blasting the thug in the chest, but the shot isnt as loud as it normally is. Looks like you had bad powder in those shells"

Nice trips
Checked

Also yeah if he's just some regular ass human then he should be dead after a shotgun blast to the chest.

>at least

It was my Signature Weapon and I fired both barrels, making 8d6+2. It ended up at 19, leaving him wounded and shaken. He had 1 HP left. It should've fucking overkilled him hard, though.

Eh, it happens.

Adrenalin, he'll die as soon as he's done bashing your skull against the wall, done.

>1hp left
That's not how SW works. Unless he was a wildcard, he should have been dead as long as you rolled over his toughness. And seeing as the average toughness is about 5 or 6, you totally over killed him. If he was a wildcard(meaning he has 3wounds, that's it, no exceptions), I think it still would have done the trick, or at least caused significant enough damage to roll on the wound table and probably still would have taken him out of the fight.

Don't bother, this is a bait thread. He doesn't actually play Savage Worlds.

That was the explanation my GM gave. "You'd have killed him with one more damage."

Sounds like the problem here is a shit DM

Yeah your DM doesn't understand Savage Worlds.

The fuck was this guy wearing, power armor?

A leather coat was the toughest thing he had on near as I could deduce.
It's a kinda Mad Max/Borderlands inspired setting.

Reality is unrealistic

CP2020 had a rule where if you shot someone while in muzzle contact or really damn close the weapon did the maximum potential damage.

It actually is,
I'm a sound designer and things never sound like what you think they sound like.
I mean the sound of most bodily injuries in films are made with fruit and vegetables.

Goddamn son was that coat made of vibranium wave or some shit? Because standard leather armor in the CRB gives you a measly +1 toughness. So if this guy had average toughness, that means you had to beat like 6 or 7 damage to kill him.

Assuming he was just an Extra, who die as soon as you do damage. If he was a Wild Card it might be a different story depending on his edges and the case his leather coat was actually some sort of future armor.

Was he rolling more than one die for his rolls?

What's the context though? The distance, the shot used etc. While yeah, in reality people sometimes survive bullets to the head, falling at terminal velocity and other shit, two shots to the chest at point blank seems to be way too much. Maybe if these were slugs or bird shot.

DM would've had to be doing some special homebrewing to factor in damage differences for slugs or birdshot.

Savage Worlds isn't simulationist. It's generally assumed ammunition is as lethal as possible unless explicitly stated otherwise.

The rules do allow for surviving the injury OP describes but he hasn't given us the specifics to determine if those rules were in effect.

>you blast him with both barrels, knocking him off his feet
>luckily for him, he had his trusty bible, cigarette lighter, hip flask, a deck of playing cards, his father's lucky coin and the medallion his lover gave to him to 'keep her close to his heart'

reminds me of the game BANG!, where everyone is cowboys in a gunfight. And pocket bible is a card used to avoid bullets. In one turn, it is possible to have bullets hit your pocket bible up to 7 times.