>avoiding shit mechanics and fagdice from FFG
>Cubicle 7 also made the amazing The One Ring RPG

Hopes are high, gents.

Other urls found in this thread:

cubicle7.co.uk/more-warhammer-news-first-edition-and-the-enemy-within/
4shared.com/s/dGwWP5dnG
cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-fourth-edition-news/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I will definitely be getting this, especially since its a successor to 2e, which i have.

I also really look forward to seeing stuff about the AoS rpg. All I know is it will be using an entirely different system. Whether that's borrowed from one of their current ones or a new one, we are not sure.

Here's a rumour about the AoS RPG I've picked up from the floor of the mill: One of Cubicle 7's writers has Kharadron Overlords, and this directly contributed to their decision to make the RPG. It also allegedly means that the first adventure book is gonna be about a heist on a KO freight airship.

>The One Ring RPG
I don't know, I never liked the darkness mechanic in that game (or whatever it was called)

>brutally torture, mutilate and finally execute some orcs in the most gory way possible
Sure, no problem, they're evil!
>Kill a human collaborating with orcs who you captured because you don't have the time to tie him up and take him with you but you can't risk him telling where and who you are
Oh no, you killed a human, you brutal monster! Here's 5 darkness points!

I'll admit otherwise it was a pretty good game with some nice mechanics, especially the between-adventure-downtime thing that they did.

Kek, who comes up with this bullshit?

Eh, that one's just a problem with morality mechanics in general. See: World of Darkness, all variants and permutation.

Never played any WoD, it just struck me as something that could massively limit character development.

The Shadow system in The One Ring was excellent. It's suppose to reflect the effect conflict and tragedy has on your character - it's absolutely not a morality meter and should never be treated as such. Killing a captive is quite a dark deed, even if it's your only choice, and you will most likely feel kinda shit about it afterwards unless your moral code is unbending iron. It shows how adventurers start out as Hopeful but inexperienced, and as they progress become more and more skilled, but also embittered by their experiences, ending the campaign as spiritually worn out veterans.

If you got Shadow points for doing things like lying for a good cause then your DM was adhering to rules the core book itself advised them to see as guidelines.

>If you got Shadow points for doing things like lying for a good cause then your DM was adhering to rules the core book itself advised them to see as guidelines.
That is also possible, I didn't play it much, just a few sessions - the fact that my character's morality was basically predetermined kinda put me off the system.
I'm not saying the shadow system itself was necessarily bad, just that it didn't suit my kind of character play - in TOR, you don't really have a choice other than playing a hopeful, good person, if you try anything else the system punishes you for it.
Again, that was just my first impression of it, maybe it is more granular with some more experience and playtime.

Well, you're technically meant to be on the side of "Good", ie the free peoples who oppose Sauron for whatever reason; altruistic or egotistic. Doesn't mean you have to play a very nice, pleasant guy however. The Shadow is what darkens men's hearts and makes them turn against eachother, and so it's not only the things they do, but the things that are done to them.

I'd like to imagine that there's a place for shadier characters in TOR, but working on the side of Evil will quite literally darken your very soul. The system's made with atleast nominally Good-aligned characters in mind; those who would be affected by dark deeds even if done in the name of good. A ranger of Ithilien can shoot one of the Haradrim and still feel remorse, and I think that a lot of systems let us get away with what basically amounts to slaughtering the enemy, with the excuse being that they're on the "bad side", as if that would somehow free our souls or minds of doubt and guilt. Like a policeman shooting a gang member or vice versa; having a "just cause" according to whatever moral code or law you follow does not automatically absolve you.

I know that WFRP 3e is one of those games that’s basically in “we don’t talk about that one” territory, but could someone a bit more versed in gaming history tell me what it did wrong?

It changed things. Grognards despise that.

That would be really cool. I do like the KO. And I imagine the game would be Order focused. Anyone who thinks they could play a chaos, death, or destruction campaign out of the book are fooling themselves. Even the whfrp has technically always been Order focused.

Now it will be a question of who the PC's races and classes will be.

They took a robust, albeit mechanically unsound, system (2e) and converted it into a hybrid board game with custom dice, chits, tokens, and trackers. It no longer felt like a roleplaying game, and it had none of WFRP's charm or style. It was the precursor to FFG's Star Wars line. It might have been better received had the mechanics been as polished as Star Wars, but that was not the case. Also, the ridiculous $100 pricepoint kept most of us away.

It was packaged more like a board game than a RPG which doesn't quite work, it also just did something rather different and experimental which could use a clean up.

That said, most people hate it for being different and never played it much. It is actually a really enjoyable game and captured Warhammeryness quite well as well as being a mechanically sound game (which 2e isn't so much).

It's great, but hard to play unless you have a RL friend who has a bunch of it to play with you'll probably not get the chance anyway. The WFRP grognards did a good job of killing it and with 4e going back to 2e seems like it's well buried as well.

I'll hope for a GURPS or Genesys Warhammer I guess.

>I'll hope for a GURPS or Genesys Warhammer I guess.
Not gonna happen. GW is not going to license with gurps, and the license with ffg has ended already.

I know there will never be an official one, but never know if a good fan made one will pop up.

The thing with One Ring is that it's trying to emulate the heroes of Hobbit/LotR, and the heroes presented in the source material used are all good guys doing good things, unless you get what the One Ring models with the bouts of madness.
it was never supposed to be a "make anything you want" - Sandbox like MERP was.

I totally get why people might dislike that design choice, but to me personally the Shadow mechanic was just one more thing that made TOR capture the feel of Hobbit/LotR better than any previous games.

Zweihander Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei Zwei

That’s not necessarily true. Everyone has a “Hope” score, yes, but that doesn’t mean they’re free of conflict.
Of my current TOR party we have at least three seriously conflicted individuals; the dwarf of erebor is not only dour but extremely vengeful, driven heavily by his desire to slay minions of The Shadow (especially orcs) for all that they have taken from him in his lifetime.
Our High Elf is one of the best honestly; he’s helpful and bright, but he is absolutely wracked with Byronic depression for the usual Noldor reasons, namely having lived far too long and seen far too much end before it’s time. The player’s honestly the best we have at the RPing side of things because he plays this character perfectly.

TOR does not assume your character to be without flaws, it just doesn’t let you be a murderhobo like Shadow Over WB’s Cock In Tolkien’s Dead Ass does.

Go fuck yourself with a chainsaw

That sounds like a great group, user. Where's the High Elf shadow-wise? If I'm not misremembering, they have no way of actually reducing permanent Shadow points during the Fellowship phase, and instead of being temporarily "maddened" when their Shadow surpasses their Hope, they're forced to leave for the Grey Havens, and then to Valinor.

Not exactly.
It’s that they can never undertake the Heal Corruption action during the Fellowship phase, and instead need to “mark” certain skills with a risk of Shadow-gain to remove the Shadow points. He’s at 0 Shadow now but has marked his Awe skill, which is being roleplayed as a tinge of deep melancholy in all of his interpersonal interactions.
He even created a proper Sindarin name; Caladîr, “Light-Son”.

>GURPS
What is with this meme? GURPS is a bad system that tries to do everything and accomplishes nothing. I'd rather play WoD than GURPS.

Fuck off, Daniel.

If you like 40k, there's someone already making a Dark Heresy supplement for Genesys.

Ah, very nice indeed, and very impressive with the name. I'm DMing a TOR game for some friends soonish, and I fully intend to enforce proper naming conventions on them.

Good for you.
When GMing, I’ve found it helps to pronounce the awesome evil-names as would John Rhys-Davies or Christopher Lee; in a deep bass voice and roll the fuck out of your R’s.
Dol Goldur=“Dul Goldurrrr”.

>What is with this meme? GURPS is a bad system that tries to do everything and accomplishes nothing.
It isn't a meme. Lots of people understand how to play GURPS and have a lot of fun with it with a variety of styles of play and enjoy it much better than alternatives.

I like Fantasy much more, but Dark Heresy could be fun with a different rules set.

Yeah, the trick with GURPS is that it’s not really a system, it’s a system for BUILDING a system.

I just wanna Play a lizard dude removing Rats. The only reason im looking forward to an aos rpg is the possibilities of non human and Dorf factions beeing Playable

>>>brutally torture, mutilate and finally execute some orcs in the most gory way possible
>Sure, no problem, they're evil!
Sounds like shitty DM and not system problem.
I don't recall the rulebooks saying that torturing orcs is OK. Sure, they can be killed with no remorse, but making their deaths more painful and/or humilating than than really needed would certainly earn my players some shadow points.

Yup, that is literally a textbook example of gaining Shadow points.

"Torment and torture, murder - 5 points" is the harshest misdeed listed.

And? I have no problem with pre-packaged games and setting, except when some, like Warhammer Fantasy, are a setting I love and game I dislike, then it is a bit frustrating and one must find alternatives.

Also, Veeky Forums is full of posters who ask "what system should I use for X" or scoff at people not building their own settings. Building your own setting is what GURPS is all about, as well as being a good fit for many genres, but somehow we get mocked for suggesting it.

GURPS is a system that does well with low powered characters, lethal combat and scary shit, all critical elements of WFRP. One just needs to touch on Chaos corruption (though think GURPS Horror has something similar) and the biggest hurdle of the magic system. GURPS has several, but I'm not sure any really captures the feel of Warhammer Fantasy quite right, mainly the danger level of it.

I'm excited for 4e. My first TTRPG experience was when 2e just released as a teenager. We would get together at my friends house where he GM'd.

I played a thief, we had a fighter and mage too. My friend the GM played a character too, he was an elven ranger. He was a lot stronger than our characters, but it was ok since he saved our lives so often.

So in the meantime I've been playing its spiritual successor. It's a really fun game that I suggest you all give a try.

How many pages is that?

700+

What are you watching, user?

Over seven hundred pages! I didn't know they stacked shit that high.

Degenerate Programming lectures user.

>Yesterday we talked about the planned release for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition in mid-2018, and gave you the first look at the covers of the initial products. Today we’ve got some news about some old favourites.

>Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay First Edition
We’ve been working on bringing more of WFRP First Edition to PDF. We all love First Edition, and there’s just so much brilliant material that we want to make available in electronic format. The “colour plates” version of the WFRP 1st Edition core rulebook will go on sale this week!

>Just like we did for the Hogshead Edition offered as part of the Humble Bundle, we’ve made a very crisp, clean, fully bookmarked PDF. It’s been a joy to revisit the game where our core team began their adventuring careers!

>Fourth Edition design lead Dominic McDowall said, “WFRP First Edition was my first ever roleplaying game. Everyone working on the new edition has a deep well of affection for First Edition, and it’s great to be bringing it back!

>“But we’re not stopping there. We’re creating some beautiful PDFs of the original WFRP super-campaign: the Enemy Within. Keep an eye on our newsletter, website and social media for more news!”

>The Enemy Within – Director’s Cut
>This brings us neatly round to yet another exciting piece of news. To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of The Enemy Within Campaign we’re going to be releasing an updated deluxe, “Directors Cut” edition of The Enemy Within Campaign for Fourth Edition!

>The mighty Graeme Davis has joined the team to steer this ship (or should that be river barge?). The Enemy Within was one of the best-loved RPG campaigns ever made, and we want to give the shiny new anniversary edition it deserves!

>We’ll have lots of news over the coming weeks and months, so make sure you subscribe to the newsletter and keep an eye on our website and social media!

Big hype for the Enemy Within director's cut and renewed 1e material.

Cool. Where's this from?

Is there gonna be a kickstarter?

cubicle7.co.uk/more-warhammer-news-first-edition-and-the-enemy-within/

Not to take things away from WFRP more than it already has been but all of the talk about TOR in the past couple of threads has got me pretty interested.

Anybody have a download link for the pdfs? Normally I'd just buy a copy of the book but I'm broke right now.

Here’s a link to my 4shared folder.
These will be watermarked I’m afraid.
4shared.com/s/dGwWP5dnG

Here you go, user. Have ALL the pdfs (and some homebrews I dunno shit about)

mega dot nz slash #F!tbpzXJLY!h2QSWJuAGFau0TWXEPFHyA

So is there a ballpark on when this is coming out? Next year or so?

Thanks, friends.

Mid 2018 according the the update yesterday.

>The release date of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition will be set for mid-2018, with a specific date to be set in a few months.

Source:
cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-fourth-edition-news/

I read this to the tune of Meow Mix

Zweihander is pretty good.

KYS

WFRP 2e could learn a fair bit from Mythras / Runequest / CoC 7e. Those systems have streamlined their mechanics into products that are a more modern packaging of old school mechanics. I love WFRP's careers and random tables, but the skill system is messy, and the combat gets stale really quickly.

Dark Heresy 2e is probably not the direction I would like to see the game taken, but it does offer a few positive changes to the system.

If it is nothing but Dark Heresy 2e style revision I'll be very disappointed. I have little hope for this being very good being based on WFRP 2e, but that would be kind of tragic.