Be adventurer

>be adventurer
>come across a dusty oil lamp
>rub it
>Djiin pops out, thanks you for freeing him and offers you one wish as a gift
>make some stupid fucking wish and the genie flies off to somewhere
>no paladin screams down your throat, ever

Why is freeing demons to get free shit so evil aligned, unless it's a fucking djiin? Someone put it into a fucking prison for a reason.

Since you are in fact talking about D&D the answer is readily apparent; djinn are not Demons, nor are they Devils or Daemons or Fiends of any breed.

They are elementals.
Maybe read the fucking gamebook sometime.

Djiins are demons in arab mythology, so making it so they're not evil aligned is, at very least, ignorant.

It's like claiming angels are neutral.

Not all genies are evil. They're not demons in Arabian or Islamic folklore, and actually specifically have free will just like human beings.

The two genies in "Aladdin" aren't either of them evil, for example.

Djinns have good PR

Why do people get upset when you free a regular demon?
Because everyone knows he now goes about raping and killing in the next best village

What do people think happens when you free a djinn?
He thanks you, gifts you a wish if you're lucky and poofs away

The djinn might rape and murder as much as any good old demon but he will make sure that no rumors of this spread so the djinns keep a good image with the public

Drow have free will too.

Free will to be completely evil fuckheads.

>Mean djiin just leave no survivors to tell how mean they are
This makes a lot of sense actually.

its make believe

>Djiins are demons in arab mythology

No, they aren't. They're a different class of beings distinct from humans, angels, or demons, both pre- and post-Islam.

The Quran actually mentions that Mohammed was sent to be Prophet to both humans and genies.

(I should note here that in some versions of Arab mythology, "genie" is actually a generic term for any spiritual being. Thus all angels are genies but not all genies are angels).

>Djiins are demons in arab mythology
You're a retard in real life.

>Arabian or Islamic folklore
Reminder that they're Iranian, not originally Arabic.

Also that the Jinni/Ifrit/Marid/whatever the fisherman found couldn't straight up grant wishes.
If he had actually done any favors they would have happened by *doing* them.

At the very fucking least, the one stuck in a lamp wouldn't be innocent.

it could've been a djiin version of bondage. Maybe the poor guy forgot his safe word and need some help getting loose. You fucking facist

Djinn are more akin to faeries than demons.

>Djiins are demons in arab mythology, so making it so they're not evil aligned is, at very least, ignorant.
You're the ignorant here
>It's like claiming angels are neutral.
Well, using arab mythology as example, they would actualy be neutral. In islam god is omnipotent

Perharps he was chained by a evil sorcerer?

This. They're tricksters with a mean streak. Fae fit that description better than most.

>Someone put it into a fucking prison for a reason.

Traditionally, in DnD the origin of magic lamps is wizards wanting to bind and control genies as a wish engine for their own personal benefit. This changes the nature of their imprisonment from punishment to exploitation, so more often than not releasing the genie is a good act.

The jinni in the bottle was dragged before Solomon and forced to convert religions. He got stuffed in a bottle for refusing.
The Wonderful Lamp is an 18th century addition, and French; but if you insist on counting it, the jinn's enslavements are never explained. That said, the marid in the ring is compared to Solomon's ifrits.
And that's pretty much it for precedent. Jinn come up all the time in The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, but I honestly can't recall any others being bound up.

There was that psycho one that the fisherman unleashes, but he doesn't grant wishes, he just threatens to kill the guy on the sort of Chaotic Stupid logic of "I'm pissed and you're right here."

>The jinni in the bottle was dragged before Solomon and forced to convert religions. He got stuffed in a bottle for refusing.
>The Wonderful Lamp is an 18th century addition, and French
I didn't know any of this, thanks user

The more I read about Solomon the more I wish there was a comic series about him. Something like that one comic about fantasy Arabia where one of the side characters is a blacksmith with a ifrit wife.

>no good people go imprisoned
>in a fantasy setting
Okay user

That's the one in the bottle.
>but he doesn't grant wishes,
The jinn in the lamp and ring do anything you want forever. The jinni in the bottle is where "jinn grant 3 wishes" comes from.
>There I abode an hundred years, during which I said in my heart, "Whoso shall release me, him will I enrich for ever and ever."
>But the full century went by and, when no one set me free, I entered upon the second five score saying, "Whoso shall release me, for him I will open the hoards of the earth."
>Still no one set me free, and thus four hundred years passed away.
>Then quoth I, "Whoso shall release me, for him will I fulfill three wishes."
>Yet no one set me free.
>Thereupon I waxed wroth with exceeding wrath and said to myself, "Whoso shall release me from this time forth, him will I slay and I will give him choice of what death he will die;
>and now, as thou hast released me, I give thee full choice of deaths."

Very few of the Arabian Nights are set in the Arabian Peninsula. Solomon I have to give you though. Jerusalem, and all that.

death by SNU SNU

>implying yhwh and his gang of mememe chucklefucks aren't lawful neutral at best
letting westerners describe the alignment and portfolios of their own gods was a mistake

Genies spontaneously 'grow' in abandoned lamps. They are a collection of wishing and hoping and flights of fantasy.

Rubbing a lamp wakes it up, allowing it to return to the Astral realm and it grants you a wish.

>dick wizard finds a djiin
>makes a wish
>djiin tells wizard to stuff his wish up his ass
>wizard demands wish be fulfilled
>djiin tells him to wish that his mom wasn't a whore
>wizard imprisons djiin until djiin is ready to grant a wish
Easy

There’s also no Paladins in middle-eastern mythology fucknuts. In fact, there’s no Paladins in ANY “mythology” since it’s just another name for the 12 Peers.

Don’t even try to pretend you weren’t talking about D&D.

>Saladin wasn't a Paladin
>but that English trap was
Well OK then.

Know what else comes up a lot in those stories? Arab dudes wives cucking them with black dudes. It sets the foundation for the entire story. Arabs must have had a big black fetish back in the day.

Don't you know that table top games are haram in the Arab world?

>great ancient war between djinn and precursor race
>djinn lose and are imprisoned in incense lamps
>some are war criminals, some are POWs who surrendered honorably
>natural apocalypse happens that wipes out the precursor race but the djinn are safe in their lamps, waiting to be found by new beings

>player wants to play paladin
>despite Charlamagne not existing in the game

This is not okay guys. Feed me (You)s