Is MTG worth getting back into today?

I got into MTG probably during its heyday during the Rath Cycle (Tempest Block) and really started playing competitively in Type II for the Urza and Masques blocks. Absolutely crazy decks and fun times in my younger years.

Haven't touched it or really looked into it since, do you think MTG today worth playing, or is it shit? I bought my brother in law a booster box a few x-mas' ago, and looked at some of the cards and some of them don't really make a lot of sense or had mechanics I was unfamiliar with.

Was there anything notable introduced to MTG in between now that comes that either improved or profoundly ruined the game?

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168055006348/has-the-games-population-grown-or-shrunk-in-the
mtgdiversity.org/
mtgdiversity.org/notallmanlands/
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper
mtg.gamepedia.com/Cube_Draft
draft.bestiaire.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=bmIN1OWPE3E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Magic is garbage unless you print out some proxy decks free at work and play with some friends.

Urza blocks had fucking gross decks. Nothing's come close to that level of power in Standard again

I have fun with MTG but I can understand why you might not. Read up on the new (new to you) card types, maybe grab a couple intro decks to see if you like where they've taken the game

Wait till this time next year, everything will be cheap as fuck and the fake nerds will be mostly all gone after poisoning the well and running WotC into the ground.

Current wizards design is horrible, but legacy is a great format and modern is completely open. They've fucked shit up, but they haven't been able to fuck up too much of the good old stuff.

Thanks for the heads-up. Glad to see someone who knew what those days were like lol.
I was thinking of maybe going to the local card shop and trying like a booster draft but you're right I would need to study up on the new rules to make good draft picks.

So is my hunch that wotc milked this game into the ground correct?

Ixalan is boring as shit to draft. Hell most of the recent sets have been pretty boring to draft, and constructed is also a bit of a snoozefest.
I don't know if milked it is the right term, but complexity has been shot in the back of the head and left to rot.

Well, the issue isn't the milking per say. The issue is that the development team doesnt know what the fuck they are doing, the last couple of sets were mostly terrible and/or underwhelming.

See, we had over 6 different cards banned in type II in the last year and a half or so. Just NOW they got a team to actually balance the cards for competitive play.

Also, there is nothing interesting about cards now, just "power or trash".

Major rules changes including:
>removal of mana burn
Which didn't really improve or ruin the game. It's just something that's gone now.
>combat damage no longer uses the stack
Which is an improvement.
>legend rule
Has probably changed twice from what you were used to, I can't remember the timeline. Now, each player can have one copy of any given legendary permanent, so each player can control their own Gaea's Cradle. If you ever control more than one of a legendary permanent of a given name, you pick one and put all others in the graveyard. May have improved or ruined the game, it honestly goes both ways here.
>equipment
They're kind of like creature enchantments except they enter the battlefield unattached and you have to activate their equip ability (sorcery speed) in order to attach them to a creature. Upside - if the creature dies, the equipment doesn't die along with it. Probably makes the game worse with its existence, but hard to tell.
>sideboard
No longer has to be exactly fifteen cards, can now be up to fifteen cards, which changes basically nothing. Cards no longer have to be exchanged on one-for-one basis, but your deck can't be smaller than it started. So for game two, you can slam seven of your cards into your deck, shuffle up, present it to your opponent, and then lose because what you did was retarded and it's perfectly legal. Doesn't really change much of anything, honestly, but there's no downside, so I guess it's an improvement.
>mulligans
If you keep a hand that's smaller than the default (usually 7), then after you keep but before the first player takes their turn, you get to look at the top card of your deck and choose whether to put it on top or bottom of your deck. Definite improvement.

I think that covers just about all of the major changes.

Man, I know you're not dissing AMK and AMK-HOD limited because that is some of the most bonkers limited play this side of Masters and Conspiracy.

Don't forget the new NEW planeswalker rule that let's you have two of the same planeswalker in the field as long as they are different versions of the planeswalker.

Now you can have all the gideons in your deck and on your battlefield

Please refer to legend rule section.
Also the last time he played was Tempest block, Planeswalker Uniqueness rule is just extra baggage he doesn't have to worry about.

Guess it's Type 1 for me. or maybe just casual and I can print proxies like FP said

Agree about the devs v. back in the day. I think it's similar to what happened with WoW, pre-expansions and how that game went over time.

this is what I meant by milking. by making few and now 'ultra?' rare broken cards which make people having to keep buying boosters to get the cards worthy to field in a modern and competitive tourney deck

Oh yeah, your milking example especially was strong during Shadows over Innistrad/Eldritch Moon, because of Grim Flayer, Traverse the Ulvenwald, and a few other rares that basically went into modern decks. Along with the 2nd iteration of Emrakul that was too powerful and needed to be banned.
Basically just stick to casual and stuff like EDH, print proxies as needed, come back when the major game has made better improvements.

TY user for the detailed post. change to the mulligan rule sounds pretty good to balance out the random chance of getting shitty hands.

I think I saw some of these when bro in-law opened his booster box I got him. I kinda cringed

EDH?

Elder Dragon Highlander, also known as Commander. It's a singleton based format, and can be pretty fun as long as you and your playgroup don't go too deep into METAGAME, or budget restrict yourselves to make things more interesting.

That's just you getting better at the game.

Not really, I have a lot of cards from the Odyssey megablock which even then I knew were underpowered but either the art was super neat, the creature concept was original and endearing, or they had great flavor texts.

Neither of those are true of new cards, I think the only cards from Ixalan I actually like looking at outside of the game are Dawnbreak Skymarcher and Mark of the Vampire.

How is WotC doing right now? Are they actually crashing and burning? they would deserve it

I disagree, since power or trash has a big gap now, with most power cards being rare or mythic, therefore need to be put in decks or you're bad. There have been a few commons and uncommons that flew under the radar, which is fine, but the shit that gets added to Rocklike decks and the like is ridiculous. Remember Blightning? Rootwalla? Cards that were good value in every sense of the term? That are basically vastly overshadowed by now? Shit has honestly been getting stronger and stronger, and since there's an emphasis on not putting complexity at common, commons and most uncommons are just boring and usually only good for limited. There's just nothing interesting about them other than POWER POWER POWER.

There's been some talk about the amount of players, with some past reports saying 20mil and now it's 16mil or so, something like that, but also discussion about how the numbers are from two different tallying pools. Overall I'm not sure how they're doing in the big picture, but if repeating trends of stuff like Emra, Marvel, and such occur, they won't do so well.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168055006348/has-the-games-population-grown-or-shrunk-in-the

There have been a lot of figures thrown around about how well the game is doing. What everyone generally agrees on is that the game is in a bad spot at the moment. It's mostly due to the majority of constructed formats being too expensive to get into. Standard hasn't been good for years, modern and legacy staples are only going up in price due to Wizards refusing to reprint them outside of limited runs. The new two blocks per set format hasn't been particularly successful either, plus trying to make planeswalkers into superheroes was one of the dumbest marketing stunts in the game's history.

So, in short, they have been fucking up consistently for the last few years and the secondary market is more cancerous than it's ever been before.

Not that user, but the general consensus is that they are floundering around. They are throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Just in the last few months, they tried:

>A "gift box" that was a blatant copy of a pkmn product
>A masters series with no format focus. Just "iconic" cards.
>The third un-set

Also, the card stock quality has been shitting the bed, with card curling just a few days after being open and they are going for the hail mary with their new casual online game that copies hearthstone.

Completely Lost.

>Urza blocks had fucking gross decks. Nothing's come close to that level of power in Standard again

Vial Affinity, CounterTop, UB Bitterblossom Faeries, Hulk Flash, etc., would all like a word with you.

and let's not forget the era of Caw-blade and its variants, probably the most broken standard format to ever exist in magic.

OP here. can anyone recommend a good software so I can reconstruct and simulate my old deck and play with newer cards?

They're SJW infested. Early Marvel levels of cancer. They'll either toss them off soon or they'll run the company into the ground.

Probably cockatrice if you're playing with friends. It's all manual, for better or for worse.

Cockatrice
...trust me just google it

thanks user

I remember that card

For fuck's sake, I wish you retards would stop blaming this boogeyman for everything. Millions of people didn't quit because some rainbow haired bulldyke put niggers in Magic's artwork. It's because the game itself is bloated, expensive and not fun to play.

No, they're not. They're supported by the second largest and most powerful toy company in the world. But the nerd bubble has popped and without the normies to silence everyone with their spending it's becoming clear that SJWs don't buy shit.

WotC is a turbo faggot company as is everyone in the Seattle-Vancouver area. So they refuse to stop pandering to the alt-left despite them not making any money for the company. The shitpile will get much larger before daddy Hasbro comes and kicks all the shrieking harpies off his property, but it will happen sooner than later.

tappedout.net
You can list your deck and then goldfish it or shadow play against yourself playing other decks

dont listen to these frauds

play on xmage, it has a rules engine, cockatrice doesnt so you get fucking retards that dont know how the game works

I did say if you're playing with friends, I'm sorry that you don't have any.
Also Xmage being built on Java makes it run like shit, fuck that noise.

Just report these subhumans. They're obviously from another board.

this is only a problem if you are playing on a 30 year old computer

Java should have been eradicated at this point but you faggots encourage it and it's ilk.

Nigger open your eyes, every metric of the game is being rated high except for:
>Card stock quality
>Price and accessibility
>Creative direction

Every format is currently considered to be good despite the obver-abundance of Energy in Standard. Ixalan is considered a bad drafting format but not as bad as true stinkers like AVR or THS Block, and is surrounded by AKH block and Iconic Masters which are both considered good drafting formats. Expectation for Arena is very high and Commander 2017 has sold out twice.

People want to play the game, they just wish it was cheaper and less preachy. We want more Magic and less superheros vs villains that ham-handedly represent obsolete social injustices.

Also considering that java is very fast now, its all on the developers not java itself.

Java is fine and OOP is the future old man

>flash hulk
>standard

user...

>legacy is play drs or lose
>modern is diverse but all decks and linear and uninteractive (so not really diverse)
>standard is shit as it has been for the past 3 years

How are all formats good right now?

>legacy is play drs or lose
Lmao

But at least you got 2 out of 3

It's dying sadly. Card quality is so bad they fall apart or warp instantly, removing any long-term value. Not to mention standard is awful and new sets are lackluster design.

I wish the gift box was like the pokemon product. Those are really nice.

You obviously don't play either format.

It's one of those cases where they should have copied EVEN harder.

Yes. It's fucking great.
Fuck the /Pol/ tards.
#Resist #FuckDRUMPF #LoveDrumpfsHate #KillWypypo #AlertAntifacista

They've been completely lost since SOM when they ditched the conventional Sealed prerelease for novelty bullshit. Nothing one year was the same as the last. Before SOM it was simple, which could be a bad thing but it was a fucking great thing for stores trying to offer players something and could offer the same thing three months from then without having Wizards drop some new novelty preschool attraction bullshit on them.

I can list a hundreds of things we had but don't have anymore because Wizards can't fucking decide on what sort of consistent novelty they want to offer. There's the obvious big things long gone like Rewards and your ELO rating but there's also a pile of good/bad shit like Magic Celebration, Halloween promos, Faction-themed FNM, paper promos for digital product, a simplified Judge program, papercraft, not fucking your stores by giving product to big box stores, and a hundred other things. Everything was so fucking simple pre-SOM and all they would have to do is go back to that system.

I can't believe the fucking company has gone so goddamn political. The point of recreation is that they're fucking bridge builders. You take people of wildly differing backgrounds and you cram them into a room on the back of a mutual interest. You create fucking love out of a bond that otherwise would not exist if it wasn't for games. Through games, sports, and video games diversity is celebrated as a NATURAL BY-PRODUCT, you don't have to do anything to foster that but make a good fucking game. There's a reason why some faggots don't march in Pride and some niggers detest blackity-black-black culture because it's those cult-like groups that are the reason why we use "faggot" and "nigger" as derogatory terms because such a term is necessary. And now Wizards is creating division in their ignorant misguided sense that their social justice is helping things when what we were always doing while playing the game was treating each other just as PEOPLE.

Not even remotely.

If you got a casual crew then go for it. If not then be prepared to hunt down specific cards and have every deck start as a netdeck

Total bipartisan radicalization is the goal and politicians will have it even if every industry has to die for it.

Yes, magic is still fun. Have played on and off since revised, but mostly play EDH these days.
hi /pol/ you aren't fooling anyone.

>caw blade
>more broken than standard affinity

Yeah nah you don't know jack

Just cause you lose a lot doesn't mean those suck.

You should decide for yourself, people in this thread have told you the most important rules changes. Just head over to draft or something if you want some nostalgia though,
you should wait for the return to dominaria set coming out soon.

>So is my hunch that wotc milked this game into the ground correct?

There are still good formats. Legacy is my favorite followed by Modern. (gasp) Standard is total shit though. Newer cards are weak as fuck, and are generally made for casual play/commander, or just strictly draft chaff. Maybe a handful of cards make it into non-rotating formats, while the rest end up as dumpster filler.

>Every format is currently considered to be good

no one considers standard good

not even the retards who play it

Do you like drama, gossip and SJW? mtgdiversity.org/

> Because Wizards of the Coast use the most inclusive language available, they continue to use the term "creature land". Mark Rosewater mentioned he liked the term "landfolk" as a gender neutral term.

mtgdiversity.org/notallmanlands/

Report and ignore.

user should know what's going on. It's not off topic.

This. CAW Blade lost to Twin, RDW and Vampires. Problem was all of those lost to Valakut.

Affinity only ever lost to Affinity or 16Disenchant.dck

I dunno if equipment make things worse, they seem good to me. They're everything Tawnos's Weaponry, Celestial Sword, Endoskeleton etc. were meant to be.

>Liliana curses Garruk with the Chain-veil which will slowly and painfully mutilate him
>This is explained on the fucking card

Women were a mistake.

>>legacy is play drs or lose
Nope.
>>modern is diverse but all decks and linear and uninteractive (so not really diverse)
Lots of decks are uninteractive, but plenty are. And diversity has nothing to do with interactivity, you buzzwording faggot.
>>standard is shit as it has been for the past 3 years
I'm curious what glory day of standard you're referring to. Standard is fine at the standard showdown level as long as your meta is brewing and not just running the top 2-3 decks (it's easy to sideboard for them anyway). I'll take this over rhinos: the format, any fucking day.

no, magic fucking sucks these days. way to expensive and newer sets suck

What is this "ixalan is a bad draft environment" meme you niggers keep spouting?
Its the most popular set my flg has had in ages. Literally the only complaint I have is balance issues with dinos

>Play drs or lose
Legacy isnt even play blue or lose anymore. After SDT was banned DRS and the 4 color decks it enables surged but we are watching it start to shrink back.

>Is MTG worth getting back into today?
No.

The art has become homogenized garbage. Cards are either unplayable bad or over-pushed. Sealed products are either a gamble or just guaranteed shit. WotC refuses to print modern staples enough to keep costs to a reasonable level, thus negating the whole point of modern. WotC cares more about social justice then making a fun game.

There is nothing wrong with equipment at all.
Specific equipment cards, yes, but the card type, no.
Same can be said of cards of each type, though.

My store has been hit or miss with it, but the draft for ixalan feels more and more luck based than previous sets the more drafts I did.
>Pack 1 pick 1-4 pick best cards in each pack
>Go with whats open that looks sweet with my picks til pack 2
>Pack 2 pick 1-4 open some on color good stuff, mostly removal or a cutlass
>See nothing worth picking the rest of the pack that goes with the tribe or colors, best I get is some red dinosaurs for my pirate deck or blue pirates for merfolk
>Pack 3 pick 1 pass that A+ alleluia "were all gonna make it" bomb for a tribe and colors Im not playing
>Instead pick the C+ "cool this fits my curve kinda" tribal support because its the best card for me
>if Im lucky the next two picks will have some sort of payoff, otherwise the other 2 drafters picking what Im picking have gotten it.
>Lose against someone that curves out a perfect tribal deck
>Win against someone slogging through draft with RW aggro or GB control because thats all that was open
The flavor is fun but theres way more emphasis on how well your picks go than other sets. I feel like if there was one or two more color fixing commons this set would play out much smoother like RTR/Gatecrash draft.

>mtgdiversity.org/notallmanlands/
Wait, this isnt a satire site........

The game is still fun, but cube is the best format.

Sorta fun but not worth the money. You can buy a car with the amount of money most decks costs these days.

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper
Unless you want to roll the dice on a car where the absolute upper limit is $400 youre wrong.
>I m-meant memedern/legacy/vintage
Modern is still less than $1000 for most decks, Legacy is where you'll get, at best, a lemon from a used dealer that breaks down 3 miles off the lot and vintage is only played online where we fall back to ~$600

>standard
literally like burning money

Hey all, OP again. Thanks anons, for keeping this thread alive overnight with the discussion. Wasn't expecting it to still be up today.

I guess the times have changed...sad to see but a lot of other companies today are cucked nowadays bc of muh PR.

Back in the day I remember MTG being attacked and accused of being demonic/satanic and back then, wotc was based af and didn't bat an eye to that shit. I mean you had demons and djinns and cures/rituals being printed all over the damn place back then and nobody gave a shit - they continued printing/reprinting them iirc.

Although, I do remember when I was in school at that time - I had a concerned teacher pull me aside one day and tell me how I was playing with these devil cards and she very genuinely asked me to stop playing with them for my own good, but that is nowhere near the outrage and chimpout publically which seems to be happening today.

sounds like a good place to play if they enforce rules/stack priority in the app

Cube format?

It's a weak tribal set with no other strong themes. If you don't open enough tribal support or get cut off from it, your deck is shit.

So the usual draft has 2 good decks and 6 piles.

mtg.gamepedia.com/Cube_Draft

It's an unofficial format where players draft cards from a custom pool (not any specific magic set). You can build your draft pool with any card you want. I recommend you to get a list that's already fine-tuned and balanced. Try it: draft.bestiaire.org/

Click on Draft Cube MTGO (CU2-CU2-CU2)

The replay value of a cube is really high. If you want to play magic with your friend without spending money every month, print or buy cube cards and you'e set for life.

If you've got a group of friends that play and don't do any expensive constructed format, sure.

If not, it's probably not worth it.

this actually sounds pretty fucking awesome. I now immediately regret selling all my common/uncommon/~250 rares of tempest, urza, and masques block for cheap on ebay almost 15 years ago.

affinity worst match was march of the machines (which no one ever played) and astral slide/mirari's wake, other than the mirror
cawblade was a twin deck; rdw is always a forced 50 and vampires 'should' be easy games 2 and 3.
my take is that cawblade was stronger, but i might be wrong

I think affinity with skullclamp is only rivaled by the urza-era jar decks. skullclamp is just so ridiculous, especially with ravager. Without clamp cawblade might be little more powerful though

Jeremy did nothing wrong

stiil, they lost to march of the machines decks
the best deck with clamp wasnt affinity, but that ironwork deck.. it had the best from affi (artifact lands) and the combo was almost unstoppable

He in fact did nothing wrong, from an economic perspective.
His channel had never been so successful as it was this past week.

Getting into Standard just isn't worth it: too few cards from the last few years are making it into Modern, Legacy or even Commander despite the average cost of a Standard deck is still rising.

What?รถ

I'm about to blow 130$ on mill cards for commander

Is this retarded?

How easily/quickly can you make $130?
Are you going to get decent use out of those cards?

I'm a NEET faggot that will most likely never play at all or maybe one or two times and I'm poor but have almost no expenses

>Was there anything notable introduced to MTG in between now that comes that either improved
A whole bunch of interesting new formats, more players = more opportunities to play, and a strong push for green that made it not a shit color anymore

>or profoundly ruined the game?
Eldrazis, mythic rares, Gatewatch stories for five hundred IRL centuries and planeswalkers in general as a cardtype. I'd also count the utterly stupid M10 set here and Scars, but those days are thankfully over for good.

You're more retarded than the sun.

im just back after a few years, but i don't like anything about the game (atm at least, not even limited), i do have fows and jtms, and other legacy staples.. i don't want to get back to the game right now and i don't want to delve into modern masters ans what not
i was thinking that tho i don't reeeeally need the cash, maybe $1k cards that im not gonna use for at least another year or even more could go
giv good advice, pls anons

Give me your cards

Travis Woo just got fired from his team. Lost all sponsorships. Was the captain.

SJW get another skull for their throne to goodness.

youtube.com/watch?v=bmIN1OWPE3E

Can't let people discuss this topic can we? Can't let people wise up to where the game is being steered.

Mill... commander...