Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How does your character cope with the long, harsh winter?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/YLikTing

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/Summoner/eidolons
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/#C
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/critical-feats/
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/95560/the-inner-wilting
d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/hellcat-stealth/
archivesofnethys.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Defensive Strategist
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Character 1: Wear extra layers, stay indoors by the fire with a book, and make sure he's got access to some nice, hot tea.

Character 2: Actually wear a shirt, if it's cold enough to not simply be invigorating through his natural resistance.

Character 3: Throw on some furs and cold-weather clothing, take an occasional drink of some whiskey or brandy.

Your character is given a comely slave as a reward for a completed quest, what does your character do? Assume slaying the slaver who gave you them, or bringing them to justice, is not an option in the immediate future.

For bonus points: Explain how your course of action does NOT shift your alignment towards evil.

Send the slave away to freedom in other land, and challenge those who would keep such slaves to a series of duels until I fall or their reign of terror has come to an end.

It is purposeful, temperate, and just.

>Explain how your course of action does NOT shift your alignment towards evil.
Trick question: Clearly I'm already evil if the slaver gave me a slave as a reward, so nothing I could possibly do would shift my alignment towards evil.

Wizards don't take slaves! They take apprentices. I kill the slaver, raise him as my undead minion, and train the slave to be some variety of magician, be it a Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, or Occultist.

Oh, shit, didn't read the assumption. Eh, what do I care. I'm a wizard, I break rules anyway. Fuck you, I kill him.

Refuse, free the slave, enslave the slaver illegally, and take a nap.

Slavery and indentured servitude are still legal in the country.

Train her, if she has an aptitude for magic. If not, use her for household chores for a few years.

Add them to the list of sexual conquests, free them, then keep them on as a girlfriend.

Free the slave, and either offer them the chance to travel with us; or do my best to set them up with a life.

Can't I just make them...not a slave?

Why?

Free the slave and offer them paid employment in my service. My character has done this before because he lives in a country with approved slavery but he finds slavery abhorrent.

Did the FAQ/Errata for Ultimate Wilderness come out yet? Or are there so much stuff to fix that it is taking the Devs a long time?

Anyone ever played a Ecclesitheurge before? Thinking about stacking it with Hidden Priest so that I can use my channel energy charges without ousting myself as a Cleric.

Is it just me or is Warpriest actually really good?

Everyone here has known that since 2014.

Personally I don't see what people are on about. They don't seem bad, but don't seem amazing either...

Swift action self buffs. Have you SEEN the self buffs on the cleric list? Even if it only goes up to 6th level, that's still really damn good.

They're nice, but I would rather play an inquisitor so I'm not a 2+int skill class that used all my spells on combat buffs.

Speaking of hiding, does the Mask of Virtue damnation feat hide your aura alignment as well as your character's? I feel like it would, but I'm unsure.

>A
Cold resist helps. Bundling up helps more. Even with the cold resist, she's not a fan of winter.
>B
Go to another, not cold planet.
>C
>feeling cold

What critical and sneaky feats would you recommend?

>the grimoire of lost souls.pdf

Tell us more about your character, party, and the campaign.

Slayer armed with a composite shortbow and a bardiche. Assassin kind of character. Campaign is about someone turning people into monsterd. Other party members include a witch, a gunslinger and a barbarian.

General Question:
I'm dipping a few levels in Bloodrager (4 levels in total), but I'm wondering what bloodline I should take:
Black blood for the extra reach and Frost bonus while bloodraging (having to get hit by P/S kinda sucks though)
or Abyssal for the (lvl4 magical) Claws and size increase while bloodraging

Any suggestions?

What is your other class?

Synthesist. The GM is incredibly generous with my fuckery and I intend to get my Eidolon somewhere into "I CAST FIST" territory.

Hello people, first time posting in this general since a long time
I've just read the new Shifter class, it's me or it is really a disappointment?
I mean, no elemental forms, no vegetable forms, just animals and animal totems

Everyone's been over this already, it's trash.

It's so bad that the only good things that can be gotten from it come from losing the class' privileges by falling

How sad, I was looking forward to some kind of all-metamorphic warrior like the old warshaper, without having to be a full druid every time

There's a couple ways to do it, like the Beastmorph Alchemist.

Tell me more, I want a character who can shapeshift from a large amount of forms, for relatively long amount of times, without having to use too much spellcasting

Just make a druid and don't care about the spellcasting, it'd outdo shifter regardless in terms of shapeshifting etc. Don't put points into wis unless you want a few selfbuffs, just go full str/dex/con.

It will be easier to just stick with Synthesist. Paizo discourages multiclassing, and you can get some of those by staying with your class and taking the desired abilities from the evolution pool or as spells known.

>d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/Summoner/eidolons
>Reach - 1 point
>Claws - 1 point
>Magic Attacks - 1 point
>Enlarge Person - 1st level Summoner spell known
>Energy Attacks - 2 points

By sticking with Summoner instead of dipping, you can also get the special abilities like Rend (2 points) sooner.

Slayer Talents: Trapfinding (someone has to do it), Ranger Combat style (to make assist the Gunslinger and Barbarian), and Slowing Strike.

Rogue Talents: Combat trick, Slow Reactions

When you get to level 9, start taking the Improved Critical, then the Critical Focus feats. At level 10, get the Assassinate slayer talent. I'm not sure how long you expect this game to go, but you can't get the other critical feats until level 11.

>d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/#C

Hey /pfg/, why does every spiritualist ever always name their spirit after a stand?
I'm trying to play a fantasy role-playing game, not an anime campaign.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure is a classic retelling of the Hero's Journey through a multi-generational and dimensional lens that incorporates many aspects of high fantasy with the problem solving aspects reminiscent of Sword and Sorcery. I see no reason giving Stand names to phantoms is a bad thing considering their default names are reminiscent of part 3 names, that followed the Tarot motif, such as The Champion, the Marshal, The Archmage, ect

Thank you sir. How effective is to pursue critical feats over other alternatives?

>d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/critical-feats/
You can't really pursue the critical feats because the prerequisites are so high, so the only thing you can do is take the Slayer and Rogue talents.

Because it's okay for a Stand to be about as smart/retarded as a Phantom, but no one wants to use normal names and imply that they just summoned the ghost of a regular human that rode the short cart to school.

Part 3 names are fine and all, but I'm talking naming their stands after random music artists/albums that wouldn't even exist in setting (Granted, in Jojo's they may or may not exist either, I'm not sure there's any clarification on if it's set in Earth or not, and if so if it even has the artists the stands are named after). It just feels like I get pulled out of the game a bit when someone summons a stand named Feel Good Inc and describe their powers.

Does it state anywhere that they have to be dumb? I mean you could always rp them to have decent intelligence. I'm not sure if it says it anywhere, but I don't see why they'd have to be mentally challenged.

Ask his wizard hireling to cast endure elements on him or to teleport him into a warmer place.

They have Int 7, so you could try to RP against that, but it doesn't really fit. For comparison, this is around a hell hound or troll, and described as "Dull-witted or slow, often misuses and mispronounces words."

True, but unless that 7 int is doing anythinf you may aswell ignore it, I doubt anyone will have problems with it. You could also say it doesn't fit to summon a human who speaks like they're braindead.

I've been talking about this here and there for a bit of time, but now I roughly have enough of the campaign done to open it up.
Here comes again about the dead, the living, at least one dragon- some tentacle monsters, oh and probably a traitor amongst the party. Probably.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/95560/the-inner-wilting

I'll stick around for questions/suggestions here for a bit too before returning to my hidey-hole since this thread is intimidating sometimes!

Oh boy, a grimdark pvp game, my favorite.

Sounds cool! I’ll have to brainstorm concepts this weekend.

Fellas is it gay to play a melee rogue?
I mean you basically tryin to double team a dude from behind

Can you explain why you wanted a traitor in the party when the rest of the world is already out to fuck over the party, and why you expect that the response to people finding the traitor isn't going to be just straight up murdering them?

Bump.

This city does not seem stable. At all.

I mentioned this in the questions thread, but sure:

As far as "When the rest of the world is already out to.."
The game's primary focus is around this concept of a traitor in the party, although the rest of the world is grim and fucked up, the party will more than likely succeed on their mission without the influence of an outside force to begin with. Things aren't stacked against them at all, if that's what this was meaning to imply (i'm unsure though!).

As far as "Response to finding the traitor isn't to kill.."
I fully expect that to be the response, or at least to subdue them (though if someone amongst you is infected and working to sabotage your goal, then you'd more than likely try to stop them.) However, this takes into the assumption that identifying who is infected will be easy- which it simply won't be unless the traitor decides to do risky movements.

The game will be relatively short (~10 sessions), and it's more of something I want to see in practice to see how it works out and how it can be made to work well. Traitors have existed in PF games in the past, and it's a very enjoyable experience when it happens and is done well, but I want to see this specific angle of "a traitor amongst us" be done.

Like, thematically, they're the last hope of a world that's blighted and they're trying to fight off the blight as best they can, but nothing they can do will protect themselves. The world literally IS out to get them. The fact that pathfinder characters are golden gods doesn't really change that.

How are you going to keep the players from doing the sensible thing and just using magic to figure out who's trying to fuck them over at the first sign of trouble?

Why would you include a person in your game whose role is just to sow dissent in the party and get killed? Tabletop games have enough issues with interparty conflict as is.

Thematically yeah, the world is against them. I find an appeal in games like that, especially with the idea of a traitor. I'm not sure how else to answer that question beyond "It's the type of story I want to tell/game I want to make"

I won't state much about the abilities of the traitor, but conventional means won't be enough to detect them. The specific strain of the magical disease is different in them, much as it will be for the various Taken the party encounters throughout the journey.

Again, I want to emphasize that the inclusion was not a last-thought, the frame of the campaign was built around having such a person (and infact, the entire idea for the game started with "How can we make a game work where one player is a traitor?). In part, the success of the traitor does not mean the game is over for any other PC's, and the success of the non-traitors does not mean the traitor will cease playing, either. They have similar goals (One is to stop the cure from being developed for good, the other is to ensure the cure is developed) that goes beyond "Sow dissent and die".

I recognize that in some other games see interparty conflict as an issue, but I think it's important to stress that for a game where conflict is the GOAL, that people who want to play in it should respect that and prepare for it. And again, there's too much taboo over interparty conflict- it can work very well given the right players and DM.

Apparently debate their personhood and whether they really count as a slave or evil magic item. If they are the former, probably try to make them not a slave, if theyre the latter, take them behind the shed.

Like, maybe I'm just soured by years of terrible games, but I really can't see this going in a way that doesn't end up going up in flames.

In fact, here are the things I see happening:

1) Players realize there's a traitor IC, wizard magics up a solution (unless their strain is blanket immunity to all divination magic, and even then, that's not stopping things like augury), traitor gets killed, that sure was a fun time for the traitor.

2) Players realize there's a traitor, the game turns into Battle Royale, everyone dies, no one gets their goals, people bitch endlessly on /pfg/ about other people making broken builds. Upside: People stop bitching about the other game/gms of the month.

3) Metagaming and arguing about metagaming devours the game in a big storm of bullshit.

I don't disagree that interparty conflict can work, but there's a difference between 'my character doesn't really like orcs and someone in the party is a half-orc' and 'this person wants the complete extinction of humanity and has the means of carrying it out, possibly by killing you'.

Also, it kinda sounds like you're planning on choosing the traitor randomly, and that seems like kind of a shitty thing to force on people.

I feel like this concept would be fine as a boardgame, but not really with characters people had any investiture in, if that makes sense (and writing enough backstory to get into a /pfg/ game as well as making a 7th level character is a shitload of investiture). Also: maybe not opening it up to /pfg/, which has never been able to handle this sort of thing maturely.

I'm attempting to create a tinkerer character, and am trying to decide between either a Machinesmith or Artisan for the class. Has anyone tried using/playing either of these?
Third party stuff is allowed, I just came across these two and am going from there.

I understand the concerns for how the game will work out, I've run it over in my head and internally on how I'll approach such situations to try and make sure it doesn't go up in flames, but I can agree with you that there is an inherent risk in this sort of game.

That's all the more reason why I'm going to be scrutinizing apps a bit more than normally done (through interviews and talking to applicants more than normal). A game like this requires a sort of mutual agreement to not spoil the fun through metagamery or attempt cheesy tactics (which I'll have done my part to iron out any possibilities like such.)

>Interparty Conflict type
I agree there's a difference, but not that they cannot both be done tastefully. I've played in games where my goals were antithetical to the party's, and being ousted (and even killed in the end) for such was still an enjoyable thing for everyone involved. Players would need to be a bit beyond "my side wins" and more focused on the general enjoyment of the game, especially as the villain.

>Traitor chosen randomly being shitty
I disagree entirely. Everyone who applies to this game should accept the risk that THEY might be the one who is decided upon as the traitor- It can't be "forcing" it upon anyone if people have accepted it.

>not open to /pfg/
PFG gets a worse reputation than it deserves, I personally feel. The thread might be a festering shithole most of the time, but the people (even the ones people love to hate) can be great players and even better roleplayers. That being said, /pfg/ is not the only place I am reaching for players from.

Well, I certainly wish you luck. Sounds like you've got some people interested, at least!

I've put in a lot of the same thoughts you're getting now too, it's all run through my head, though I appreciate the perspective of others.

It's all still a risky angle to play, but risk doesn't mean you shouldn't try it, especially if it seems fun.

Yeah. Again, I'm probably just super paranoid/scarred by other shitty games that tried a similar idea (though on a smaller scale).

how are you going to stop 'wizard solves the problem with magic' anyway?

I think it's more do-able when the focus of the campaign revolves around the party conflict, much easier to control. It's especially powerful if oocly the players don't know who the traitor is.

That would be telling.

Why do you assume the wizard isn’t the traitor? You literally can’t trust them even if they have “magical proof” that vindicates them.

Someone claiming it isn’t them and trying to kill another party member sounds exactly like something the traitor would do!

What do you think of Hellcat Stealth feat?

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/hellcat-stealth/

Bump.

It's one of the things along with Adaptation (from the Infiltrator Ranger) and HiPS that actually makes the stealth skill any good.

No, I'm assuming the wizard ISN'T the traitor and can immediately solve the mystery with magic, because Pathfinder is stupid.

oh woops, I misread.

Either way, that goes straight to battle royale anyway.

So off, grant me some advice. For the next two weeks I won't be able to run my game, vacation one week and a business trip the next. I'm planning to queue up some combats and let one of my players be a tactics DM, since I'll still be able to post fluff and lore and get them from one fight to the next.

Anything I should queue up properly to make things run well? Or is giving my backup all the fight mechanics essentially enough?

My GM is allowing a feat that'll let me shapeshift as if using the change shape monster ability, but only into small or medium humanoids. What humanoids are good for this, specifically SLAs that are worth having?

Off the top of my head, tiefling gets darkness 1/day, and fetchling can get a gaze attack and some other SLAs. If your GM allows it change into a drow noble, I believe those have some pretty big SLAs, although I'm not sure, you may wanna check on that.

I already thought of that. Drow Nobles and Svferneblin are looking like the best choices right now. Unfortunately, Tiefling, Assimar, Fetling and all the other halfbreed outsiders aren't available since they're not technically humanoids.

>Explain how your course of action does NOT shift your alignment towards evil.
It's not chattel slavery, it's contractual indentured servitude that the slave in person voluntarily chose to pay off his debts. Which means as soon as he fulfill the terms of his contract, he's free to leave if he wishes.

Now, as long as you don't abuse the contract, and possibly ammended the contract if it's unfair, you won't be Evil, and it would be a purely Lawful act that is mutually beneficial to both parties

Oh right, my bad, for some reason I thought native outsiders were fair game.

Has anyone ever allowed drow noble for anything other than, maybe, a game specifically about being drow nobles?

I sincerely hope so, unless it was a super high power game. But assuming it's just a temporary change into one it shouldn't be too bad.

Sincerely hope not*

I'm retarded

Is there anyway to gain Uncanny Dodge (cannot be caught flat-footed) or something similar as neither rogue, assassin, or barbarian?

There's that trait, Defensive Strategist, that's pretty close.

archivesofnethys.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Defensive Strategist

I did do a Drow Noble game as a 2 man party. But that didn't last very long. Drow Nobles probably shouldn't ever be run as written without some serious considerations to the party. I could see it working with the feats on basic Drow, or in a party with other, even more monstrous PCs. I'm just looking to do it because my GM allowed this feat without really considering the implications and I want to take him for a ride. He doesn't think Greater Hat of Disguise is all that good, so I guess he thought this wasn't going to be a problem either.

There's probably archetypes for other classes, maybe prestige classes too, but nothing specific comes to mind.

So what did happen with your drow noble game?

I mean if the other players don't mind and the gm scales encounters somewhat I don't see the problem with drow noble as written. I mean you could always rp it somehow as you being from a noble house and the other pcs being your slaves, althought the rest of them would have to be alright with it.

>SoP replaces Magus with a feat
>again

my sides

We played all of two sessions before school and work got in the way. I didn't get GM smote or anything dramatic like that. I think the overarching plot of it was that we were working for our clan elder or something and the endgame was sacrificing us in some big political scheme or to regain his youth or something else retarded. The plot was super half-baked.
That's what I'm saying though. For a pre-written adventure path they just shouldn't be allowed. I entertained the idea of having an all monsters party, with some being Drow Nobles, ghosts, an ogre/troll or something and a vampire spawn.

Thanks DDS! I love it!

Beer, it's nature's blanket.

What?

Whiskey is better for that, but a warm body is best

I'd keep the slave but treat her well. Slavery in itself isn't evil, note that the Bible has rules for how to treat your slaves but never tells you not to have them.

Good, Magus is pointless as an independent class, especially in SoP.

>The bible
>Not being a LE book dedicated to a NE god

Nah, just going by the stories of the old Testament, he'd be LE or LN by D&D standards.
But, that's mainly because even in the founding myth of their culture, there is just mountains of deception, cheating, fraud and murder, and that's the HERO of the story.

they could have made a gish combat sphere and been done with it, but they had to instead waste paper on the magus archetype that everyone said was awful

I wanna play a blacksmith. Beyond the masterwork tools, the craft skills and master craftsman + craft magic arms and armors, is there anything i should keep in account?

Blacksmith Spheres of Trash class. Surprisingly alright. Alternatively White Smith from the same publishers (I wish I was kidding)