/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Where are you guys? edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1N0bbT2a0y_THicAgRS1SxKZA9ZKtDmJpDsiDSyKAkAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
amazon.com/Warhammer-Battle-Vedros-Space-Marines/dp/B01EBBHK4C/ref=pd_sim_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N00E572DSXAG436BYD63
warhammer-community.com/2017/11/26/blood-bowl-blood-angels-battle-companies-next-weeks-pre-orders/
hisentco.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Goblin preorders are still up till 6th of December.
I'm still mulling over what else to pick up. Tempted to buy some Frostgrave and Rogue Stars minis along with the Goblins.

Northstar/Artizan also do a pretty nice Charles Dickens Christmas themed set of minis for charity.

So someone was saying today was supposed to be the day that Megacon Games made the announcement about what was happening with them.

Anyone hear anything? I've been looking around to no avail.

I only heard the company is in financial trouble.
Is Mercs gonna go out of production? Or are they gonna be bought up like Spartan?

So I'm planning on grabbing some WoK during the CMON sale. I've going to pick up some Nasier, what would make a nice counter force to it? I was thinking either Hadross or Teknes, since they are more defensive themed than Nasier.

They were trying to sell themselves as a design team along with the IP's to someone who could manage the production end to things.

An user said they were going to make their announcement on the 30th, but nothing happened.

Could go Shiel Hann and go full on Asian wars.

The frostgrave gnolls are pretty nice. North star sells frostgrave by the individual sheet.

They are also pretty much unique. Outside of maybe some D&D boardgame, I don't know of any plastic gnolls.

Also pretty versatile.

Yeah. They also give you about 25-30 weapons/arms for every five gnolls. I don't know what to do with them all. I've even started making some four armed gnolls.

Waiting for Payday so I can get Five Parsecs From Home Second Edition

You play the first edition? Any thoughts?

Do you intend to share it?

First edition is great. Rules light, action heavy, simplistic but functioning campaign system, and good to solo

Spoken to Ivan, I hear the second edition is a great upgrade - improved campaign system, and now standalone so you don't also need a copy of FiveCore

Definitely will purchase and will share of I can de-watermark it and get a decent PDF size

Updated the rules for Warstack, and enabled comments on the doc:

docs.google.com/document/d/1N0bbT2a0y_THicAgRS1SxKZA9ZKtDmJpDsiDSyKAkAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Recent Changes:

-Allowing the expenditure of Tactical Points after all Interrupts have been Pushed, for the Attacker to do one of three things: Fake Out (Spend a TP plus normal costs to allow a different unit to attack the top enemy unit on the stack), Fake and Scramble (ditto, but allow a Scramble), or Stand Down (spend a TP to not actually take an action).
-Removed "A unit may only be placed on a stack once." It still cannot Interrupt if being Interrupted, but this prevents the need for a "Target Zero" clause.
-Clarifying/expanding on what happens when a unit attempts to attack a target Invalidated by an Interrupt.
-Clarified that if a Blocker is selected as the new Target post-interrupt, it replaces the current Target on the Stack. This means you can now do "flanking" shenanigans with interrupts: Infantry unit A1 attempts to attack infantry unit B1, but Cavalry unit B2 charges as an Interrupt. A1 is no longer eligible to charge B1, and (unless player A uses Fake Out or Stand Down) must retarget B2. Since B1 is no longer on the stack, it can now Interrupt on behalf of B2.

Note that while testing, I found the use of big dice or target markers is better for tracking the stack, since you can easily move the dice around to represent retargeting of blockers or Fake Outs. I am probably going to experiment with unit cards to track which units have moved, either by tapping them or having several card pools (0 actions, 1 action, 2 actions).

I want to order but what if they're shit?

If you have doubts you could ask Nick from Northstar for some better pics of the naked minis.

Quick, I need to find some Wargame miniature sets on Amazon for under US$15 that deliver with Prime!
Warhammer tier minis, preferably!

Most of the Reaper Bones stuff has prime shipping. Anything you're looking for in particular?

Warmachine, Warhammer 40k, but yeah, reaper bones is cool too. I want to give more than one mini for that price too, like, 3 or something.

/wip/ secret santa?

Im getting my WIP santa recipient these, in addition to some other stuff. I hope thats ok. Maybe you can give the same or Orks, maybe?
amazon.com/Warhammer-Battle-Vedros-Space-Marines/dp/B01EBBHK4C/ref=pd_sim_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N00E572DSXAG436BYD63

Forgot image of my WIP-secret santa amazon part (im also sending some stuff I made)

I would hate it, looks like you are a tacky cheap poorfag with bad and bland taste to top that.

Being upset by a gift would suit an asshole like you.
Merry xmas, motherfucker.

Screw that fag. I dont really play or like 40k but that would be a cool gift

So apparently on November 24th Megacon Games posted the following update on the Myth: Journeyman KS.

"I received an email at 1:35, telling me the buyer is ready to move forward with the purchase. There are still some minor details to work out, but this is very good news.

The short of it is this: the buyer is taking a risk and is doing this for you and the property. We've worked on this deal for a year come Nov 30. It is our sincere hope that when the buyer is revealed you thank and support them, because without them the rest of your pledges would have been only partially completed.

We'll share more details as we can. Expect a longer update that goes over what has transpired over the last 12 months early next week. We'll provide as many details as we can as soon as we can, including an updated time-table for final production and delivery.

Thanks for being patient."

So looks like the deal is good, although no mention of the MERCS IP in there.

Little bugged they haven't been putting this or stuff on their Facebook, but then they did admit communication isn't their strong suit.

Whaleboats confirmed for DW

Local group secret santa

I'd say probably go Teknes. Not for any game reasons, more just because gnomes and pigmen.

Your shilling has worked. I'm actually going to buy one.

>Turns out I don't have to pay the VAT
>postage works out to be less than the VAT
>I'm literally paying less than what somebody in the UK would if they physically walked into the store to get one

What game system is this?

>DW
did someone pick it up?

Spartan is dead

>Where are you guys? edition

Eh I've stopped coming by here, it's kind of devolved into oathmark fanwank and because I think the models are shit there's no reason to open the thread.

I picked up the necromunda box and some terrain to go with it, will be nice having some high-detail terrain bulking out my table since most of my terrain is popsicle stick scaffolding (use clippers to remove the round tabs and you can make i-beams real easy, then it's just spray silver, wash black or brown, sponge brown for weathering and you can make a table worth of terrain for less than $30)

what the hell is that cyclops whale?

>Where are you guys? edition
I'm working on a fantasy skirmish system with customizable races. Also about to order a shitton of miniatures that I desperately want to paint and put on display slash use to play said system with friends.

>fantasy skirmish system with customizable races.
Details please.
Basic conflict resolution, turn order, statlines, how it's customized, etc?

I really want Akkad the Concerned, but I don't need 30 more Goblins. I'm trying to reduce my painting pile.

I was going to email Nick and ask him if I could get the 30 Dwarves and Akkad rather than the Dwarf metal, but it's only a Goblin pre-order really so I'd probably have to go for the £40 skirmish with both boxes and both metals.

Yeah, pretty quickly after Spartan announced they were closing. Don't remember who it was, though.

Anyone else's group still play warpheim? www.warpheim.com The "competitive" scene over here could use more variety.

It's meant to be for small warband of around a dozen infantry models including a hero. You can stick in large monsters (50mm based) or even huge monsters (75mm based) for respectively around one third and two thirds of the suggested points allowance.

System is greatly inspired by GW's LOTR skirmish rules. It is based on d10s; turn has an activation phase where players alternate activating two models per hand, which allows them to move or to perform special actions. After the activation phase there's the combat phase where engaged models fight and unengaged models may shoot, cast spells or make extra movements.
Combat is resolved by dividing melees on 1v1 or 1vMany, like in LOTR or Confrontation, and resolving one at a time. Each participant rolls as many dice as its Combat Dice stat and pick the best result, if they beat the best result of an enemy they're engaged with they may hit it; if a model has more than one attack, each will require a different 'successful' die from the combat roll to score a hit.
A hit causes a roll to wound, etc etc.

Statlines as it is now is just Speed, Might, Combat Dice, Combat Mastery and Aim. Plus, there's equipment and traits a model can have.

As for customization, there's a selection of archetypes to pick from; currently I have, aside from humans, Big Brutes, Short and Stout, Uncannily Graceful, Small and Wicked, Savage Raiders, Mighty People and Shorlings.
Your regular guy will have its race's stats, the equipment you pick, and eventually a mount. Elite infantry and cavalry can access some special equipment options and/or some traits, some of which may increase their stats.
Then there's going to be similarly a selection of archetype for monsters, starting from basic shapes like 'the big grunt', 'the hellhound' or 'the slithering one', to which they may add up to a couple of traits based on their looks and the idea of monsters.

I'm a couple pages in and it's reading as some art-house trash that's full of itself, coupled with your "competitive" mention has me about to close the tab and never think about it again

I'll give you a chance to "sell me" on this... thing (which should never be mistaken for a game)

Yeah, the IP got bought like the next day by Warcradle.

How powerful should firearms be if I were to add them to open combat?

At the moment I have rules for a rifle and pistol. Both require an action to load, which you can crit fumble (1), or minor fumble (2: spend another action to succeed, or succeed, but lose initiative).

I figured for a rifle, you make a crossbow attack + 1 die, and apply all but the lowest (so if you have two 1's and a 5 and 6, you will still lose the initiative: the guy drops the gun or something).

And for a pistol, I figured the range should be limited to 8-12", +1 attack die, you can attack as part of a move (like javelins), and you apply the two best attack die.

I figure that way, they're slightly more powerful than crossbows, but carry a reasonable risk.

Five Parsecs from Home by Nordic Weasel Games

Picked up a mountain of WoK miniatures for porting into another game. Can't wait to start, haven't had a project in a while.

this guy is dope

Interesting.
Any clue as to who the buyer might be?
The same guys who bought Spartan's properties possibly?

>it's kind of devolved into oathmark fanwank and because I think the models are shit there's no reason to open the thread.
to be fair it's not like it's the only thing discussed in here.

The Necromunda thread had a discussion about mdf scenery for Necromunda btw. Might be another way to build up your collection for a reasonable price.

Having them hit harder, but take a turn between firing is always a solid option. You could also add a limited ammo rule to them like Batman does with every ranged weapon.

I'm willing to bet on one of two companies: Warcradle (the folks who bought Spartan's IP's and Wild West Exodus) or TTCombat (the folks who recently bought Hawk). I suppose someone like FFG could be the buyer, but they don't seem liks they'd be intereated in MERCS since it uses basic duo's. Although now that I say that I wouldblove to run a MERCS RPG in Genesys.

Anyone excited for SBG Battle Companies coming out this weekend?

Not really sure why a skirmish game needs another skirmish game but the middle-earth logo looks nice.

Isn't battle companies the term they use for structured free play? Army building, scenarios, erc.

I thought it was kill-teams

I thought it was like a Mordheim kind of game, you have a warband of up to 10 guys and there's RPG elements like skill profession?

progression*

It could be. I've haven't heard or seen anything about it before. I just thought that's what they called it before the Hobbit stuff started coming out.

Finally, next week sees Middle-earth: Battle Companies arrive. Battle Companies is an exciting way to play The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey™ Strategy Battle Game with a mere handful of models, picking elite warbands from the world of Middle-earth and battling with them in intense skirmishes. As time goes on, members of your warband will distinguish themselves and gain new skills, adding a richness and a sense of progression to your campaigns. If you’ve been looking for a way into The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey™ Strategy Battle Game, or just want a new way to play with your existing miniatures, Middle-earth: Battle Companies is for you.

warhammer-community.com/2017/11/26/blood-bowl-blood-angels-battle-companies-next-weeks-pre-orders/

I'm excited but I really wish they would hurry up and release the new middle-earth rulebook. That's the linchpin for everything else. I'm not investing anything until I see that.

>I'm excited but I really wish they would hurry up and release the new middle-earth rulebook. That's the linchpin for everything else. I'm not investing anything until I see that.

I didn't think another one was coming

Is there a game for like neutral medieval or enlightenment theme that isn't d&d or cringe 40k edgelord faggotry?

I just want some wizards and knights and archers with solid game mechanics

knights & knaves?

hisentco.com/

no wizards but it's solid skirmish gaming

what about SoBaH?

They said early this year that they were going to combine both the ranges and the updates in 'there and back again' into one middle-earth 'book to rule them all'. I would assume BC is designed to work with it.

Worth a read, honestly. Pick and choose based on your setting.

huh. so warcradle is unifying wwe and dw into a singular setting. interesting.

pdf? i've been thinking about adapting the blades in the dark downtown system to work with a narrative skirmish warband game (with a gm like inquisitor?) and i'm super interested in reading skirmish rules sets.

You want skirmish? Open Combat. Stat all your own stuff, break the cliches and have some fun. Although it doesn't really have a magic system as of yet.

Could also maybe try Dragon Rampant? I don't know enough about it to say one way or another.

wasn't the next saga book gonna have magic rules?

Chevauchee with Samhein's Night.

Reaper's Warlord, Otherworld

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, apologies if it isn't.

Does anybody know of a minature game in which you fight with pretty much only big monsters? Something a little bit like Warmachine/Hordes low-pointcost Battlegroup only matches, but preferably without some sort of faction restriction. Something that allows you to pick a team or army from a wide selection of cool big stompy monsters. Kinda like pokemon, I guess?
Is there a game that works like that?

Monsterapocalypse or whatever the hell Privateer Press' game called was something similar I guess.

I've never been able to get much info on Monsterpocalypse, nobody I know has ever even heard of it and it seems to be hard to get ahold of (I think it's out of production?).
From what I've been able to gather it doesn't look like something I'd be interested in though. It seems to have a pretty rigid faction system (Apes for King Kong style stuff, Swarm for Insect stuff) and I don't really like the Kaiju theme and fighting in a big city with skyscrapers. I was hoping for something more fantasy-themed, with giants, ogres, cyclops, dragons and stuff.

It's not really fantasy but I think Pulp City could be something like that. I don't know the rules though, but you only use a few heroes.

If you want to play monster vs monster battles I think could also do that with the Song of Blades and Heroes or Dragon Rampant rules.
For Dragon Rampant you'd basically just statting large creatures instead of units. But the rules are written in a way that they could possibly accommodate that.

Yeah, its out of production. Its a shame, it was a fun game, but PP fucked it up.

I just saw that Reaper does a few seasonal minis that'll only be available throughout December.

Is there any way to feasibly pick those up in Europe?
I know I could ask a FLGS to order some along with their next restock, but I'm just wondering if there is an easier way.

Mighty Lancer Games is their somewhat official stockist here.

Pulp City looks interesting. It really doesn't look like what I had in mind but I'll have a look at it anyway.

Using something like Dragon Rampant would porbably be the easiest choice, especially since that allows me to just get monsters minis from all kind of lines together on the table. I was mostly hoping there might be a system out there that included rules for things like grappling and similiar monster v. monster combat stuff.

Also not Fantasy, but Rogue Stars is pretty granular and has stuff for grappling, hiding, carrying others, various natural weapons and biological effects.
It's sits somewhere inbetween rpg and skirmish wargame.

With a bit of refluffing you could use the rules for a monster bash though I think.

God damn, in MoM they are ramping the quality of the minis. He has contracted another dude and he is quite good.

Also the new troll for his KS looks pretty well, better than the old ones, at least in aesthetics.

The little goblins they posted a few weeks back are rad.

>Dat little studying gobbo-

> tfw goblins in every game are stupid little barbarians
> no game with civilised monastic goblins studying magic

This is why I miss Relics.

When it will be reasonably completed I'll post a Pdf.

A few days ago I stumbled over a picture of a Frostgrave table covered in these ruins that are part of a bigger diorama by Reaper with a huge dragon and all.
That table looked really nice.
After a bit of searching it turns out that during the bones Kickstarter the whole diorama went for 35$, so I guess that explains why somebody has a table full of it.

I was just wondering if anybody knows if those ruins were ever sold separately? For some reason I thought so, but I can only find the whole diorama on Reaper's page right now.

Googling hasn't helped me much, but I remember someone saying that Anglo Saxons can be used for a LotR faction, which one is it?

Rohan

Maybe you are thinking of ebob's normans for Gondorians?

Big nose goblins go home. Gimme Kev Adams gobbo faces

Rohan, i'm using the footsore miniatures range of salons and goths for them

That was me. Here was the update we got about 5 days ago. Not sure if you can access the updates or not so I just make it into a pic.

They aren't. They come with the dragon and the four adventurers.

What happened to that company that Kev Adams was running? I remember that oyu could get a bundle of 100 gobbos for not too much. I am looking for an easy source for tons of gobbos for my Kings of War army, as I don't like either the Mantic or GW rank and file ones.

Mage Knight with only titans
Heroclix with only colossals
Assault of the Giants
King of X controlling multiple monsters
By the vagueness of your request it sounds like you could just pick any skirmish system and sub in whatever large miniatures you have on hand.

What perpetuates this love of 80s style miniatures? Is it needed levity from the increase in gritty edgeness of the hopless future miniatures, mostly oldfags who entertain awgs, or other variables I'm too stupid to acknowledge?
And simply because Frostgrave is the example, man, their spell cards were complete chiz. Missed an opportunity for a beautiful and functional upgrade.

misfire, meant

I really wish these fucks would properly update the WoK site instead of crutching on blog posts. Everyone asks if it's dead post demo because it look like a fan site out of 2006. That, and information is fragmented between facebook, cmon updates, ks page, and the actual site. Is this CMON's Treasure Planet?

Otherworld skirmish link is broken in the trove btw