Sigmar "lore"

So, how long do you guys think it will take before Sigmar gets a setting worth playing in?

Or will we be stuck in bad-acid-trip-land with no rhyme or reason for the next twenty years?

I've spent about 4 hours now trying to understand what the fuck my Free Peoples army is supposed to be doing in this world and I'm no closer to an answer.

As far as I can tell 6 out of 8 of the "realms" aren't worth fighting for.

Other urls found in this thread:

whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mortal_Realms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>age of sigmar
>lore

when tho?

Are there any novels that will give me some idea of the setting?

I can even, like, begin to picture what the fuck its meant to look like.

>age of sigmar
>lasting twenty years

Cap that, repost it in 2037 and if AoS is still around, I swear to God I'll eat my own setting notes.

Free People armies should be conquering new terrain or protecting the Great Cities. Use the city generator to make a new city and protect it.
There are plenty of novels that give a good idea of the setting. Spear of Shadows is highly praised an Warbeast won an award.
You can get a more general idea from: whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mortal_Realms

It will likely still be around if GW is, and you know what people have been saying about GW for the last 30 years haven't you? Better plan what your going to season your notes with.

>should be conquering new terrain
But 90% of the realms are shitholes no one would want to live in.

Your making too much presumptions about the nature of the realms. There's all kinds of environments in all the realms they just tend to be themed after the magic of the realm. Even Aqshy has jungles.

Because the lore is shit and one dimensional.

No it's not. Again you're just making presumptions, to justify your own bias.

>our making too much presumptions about the nature of the realms

To be fair I don't have much to go on.

Coming from another user who thinks AoS' lore has some potential, GW needs to do far better to make it all accessible. There is absolutely no indication that most of the Realms are inhabitable outside of digging into certain books, since every map prior to Kharadron Overlords was ridiculous and all the fluff books boiled down to Stormcast versus Chaos fighting over either ruins or in near-inhospitable conditions. Their eagerness to not negatively affect anyone's personal army lore has meant GW was afraid to put in any sort of detail or effort at all.

OP: Spear of Shadows, Auction of Blood, and City of Secrets are all Black Library stuff of varying quality that give some insight into 'normal' people. Ignore most of the Realmgate War novels since it's almost entirely Stormcast-themed. Most of the Battletomes have at least some context-based lore for its specific faction, and if you can find the fluff section of Firestorm in PDF there may be some things there.

I don't disagree that there are plenty of issues with the way AoS is being developed, but that the realms are unhabitable is not one of them. Since the beginning there have been people inhabiting them and surviving.

>whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mortal_Realms

Considering how young the game is, I think it's right on track with amount of lore. Where GW is fucking up with it is the organization and accessibility thereof.

>A glittering realm of glowing palaces ruled by Sigmar

>A realm of hot winds and volatile landscapes.

>A domain of decay, where all gates to the underworlds reside

So deep, such lore.

Is AoS less grimderp and Deus Vult-ish than late Warhammer or is it more or less similar in tone?

Confirmed for just reading the single paragraph realm summaries.

Not as much. It's main influence is Nordic mythology and the realms of Yggdrasil.

Given the fact that it takes place on half a dozen hellscapes with no hope of normal existence I'd say it's more grimdark than even 40k 3rd ed.

Even the "nice" realm is some sterile magical space station floating in nothingness populated by faceless corpse-heroes.

People say it's noblebright but it just seems depressing to me.

Cubicle 7 is doing an rpg soonish (warhammer fantasy 4e is confirmed for spring/summer next year, so maybe around then?)

So, theoretically it will have a chunky setting section to explain this shit.

>read the individual articles
>just a bunch of disjointed bullet points with little substance

Well, that sure cleared things up bro.

As said that is pretty lousy. You should read the articles themselves if you want info on the realms.

The Age of Sigmar starts in a sort of post-apolitical after the forces of chaos almost won the Mortal Realms, but order finally get its shit together and starts fighting back and winning.

>I've spent about 4 hours now trying to understand what the fuck my Free Peoples army is supposed to be doing in this world and I'm no closer to an answer.

if you can't understand why people want to live you might have brain problems

The article themselves do need a bit development, but it's not "just a bunch of disjointed bullet points with little substance". You can get a sense of what environments exist just by looking at the short sentences describing the individual locations.

I can understand why people want to live.

I cant understand why people want to live in a bad acid trip.

Lets take "Greywater Fastness"

Some guy had the idea to use "realmstone" to make a city in some swampy craphole for some reason now everyone spends every waking moment fighting back the swamp because theres a city there even though theres only a city there because some guy decided to put a city there.

It's pure shit-tier fluff.

It's not that hard to figure out why they built a city there, considering the new power source is spread all around the reach and the realmgate they came out being nearby.

>theres only a city there because some guy decided to put a city there

Yeah, why would settlements ever build up around a resource.

Age of Sigmar actually has lore, and it's decent, it's just inaccessible due to not having a rulebook everyone buys. If you want to figure out what's going on you have to read the novels.

Paid shill

>Sigmar found Gorkamorka trapped within the amber mass of Drakatoa, the living avalanche that ruled Ghyrria in the Realm of Beasts. With the help of Dracothion, Sigmar managed to free the greenskin god and drive back Drakatoa. Pleased to be freed and infuriated for requiring aid he attacked Dracothion, knocking him senseless in a single blow. Sigmar was moved to ire and attacked the two-headed god. The sheer destructive power of this twelve-day battle shook the Mortal Realms and created the Mountains of Maraz and the Gouge Canyons. This battle drew many beasts, as sunwyrm and shaggoth stood side-by-side agog at his fury and destructive power. Eventually the two gods grew tired, observed their ruined surroundings and the audience of monsters, and laughed. Seeing a god that could match his own battle-lust, he clasped Sigmar's hand and agreed to fight alongside him.[8b] To keep Gorkamorka and his greenskins belligerent nature in check, the God-Council sent him into the wilds of the Mortal Realms to battle monstrous beasts and other innumerable threats.[8c] During his role of monster-hunter he cleared the Ghurland plains.[8a]

So Greenskins are no longer fully evil? Have they started the transition from villains to a race of noble barbarians?

They're the same as they were.
Not evil evil, just like to fight evil.

I generally hate tie-in novels. I'd much rather just read a lorebook of some sort.
In fact, I've said, multiple times, that I would be happy to pay money for a book that was just lore and art for the setting.
And I'm pretty much told 'hurr hurr fuck off trollslavfag' by people who then pat themselves on the back for being a less toxic community than the old game.
I'm just glad the Lexicanum is finally getting some content put together.

>In fact, I've said, multiple times, that I would be happy to pay money for a book that was just lore and art for the setting.
>And I'm pretty much told 'hurr hurr fuck off trollslavfag'

Maybe you should fuck off then?
If you want to say it multiple times say it to GW, not posters on a general with no power to give you what you want.

I wish I was paid for this.

Gorkamorka was part of the Pantheon(Order) for a while, after those event then he went batshit crazy and shat on it to become his own thing. He still has a summer home and a throne in Highheim.

It's hard when were are so very few doing it and need all the help we can get.

The lore is too abstract and the universe too vast. 40k may have a whole galaxy as a setting, with many weird places and inhabitants, but AoS is just incomprehensible.
The lore for 40k is at least tangible and to an extent relatable. I can picture the planets and environments depicted in 40k. Not so with AoS. It really is an acid trip.

I think there is institutionalized cannibalism in some areas.

How do you even write an interesting lore?

Are they becoming more like Warcraft orcs? In WFB they were pretty much an always hostile force to be exterminated whenever possible but they can in theory make common cause with humans, dwarves and elves?

*but now they can in theory make common cause with humans, dwarves and elves?

Soon

Haha, no. They respect size and strength, same as always. Sigmar earned that respect, at least for a bit.

Pretty much thisThey respect size and Sigmar won enough respect from Gorkamorka to ally himself for centuries. Greenskins are still an hostile force, which is why they are part of Destruction, but they will occasionally ally with other forces if it helps carving a path of destruction.