What's the best system for modern warfare?

What's the best system for modern warfare?

Something that can count for weapons that fires several rounds per second, concepts such as flanking and cover, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JCT2hEK1fLOXpNUjgwQ3pkeDg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GURPS.

Phoenix Command

Only War
Remove/refluff the 40K bits to taste and it can handle anything from American Civil War to modern day COIN Ops and pretty much any conflict in between

This, desu. Just be sure to give radical islamists tge Fearless (horde) trait.

>Only War
Thank you.

>Best system for modern warfare
PC

Recon Advanced.

I think you might need to rework critical hit tables in such a case. People don't usually blow up when being peppered by 5.56.

This is a good recommendation, OP.

Instead of looking for RPGs with wargame elements, you may want to look at wargames with RPG elements. The two types of gaming do "bleed" into each other after all.

FNG, "Fucking New Guy", is one wargame/RPG. The "Five Men' series is another.

GURPS will do a great job - you just want the High Tech book for the gear, and you're pretty much good to go.

If you want it more realistic, you can add Tactical Shooting (or simply use the strictly optional rules like bleeding). If you want it more cinematic, you can add the Action book. Default is around "fairly realistic movie" levels.

It can also do mass combat pretty well, if you want to have players leading troops.

you would

It's called artistic license, user.

XBOX 360 is the best system for modern warfare

it ain't called the meat-axe for nothin user

Aren't most of the meaty chunks style crits on the energy, explosive and bolt weapon crit lists? It would seem pretty easy to just use the Solid Projectile crit lists. Unless you're using a grenade launcher or something of course

EABA 2.0 is good in that it makes actual combat situations playable.
You know, the ones where both sides crouch behind cover and fight for dozends of minutes if not hours. And where they do not shoot to kill, but to supress the other side, so that your flanking comrades or your sniper may take them down.

fpbp

No, really, unironically, GURPS is the best system for this operators operating shit.

GURPS can handle all timeperiods in realistic tactics/sci-fi, but, Advanced Recon for Cold War Era awesomeness.

More importantly than the rest of the Advanced Recon are the rules in the back of the Advanced Recon book where they allow your missions to alter global geopolitics - that's good shit.

>allow your missions to alter global geopolitics
Ahahaha, what?

Uniro ically, Phoenix command. I've run a couple combats. It is the ultimate system for modernish combat. Every hit location is finely tuned and realistically depicted as they are derived from medical manuals. You have get different wounds from weapons of different energy and caliber. It covers ally maneuvering and cover quite nicely. Also does morale and commander tactics. Doesnt have many vehicle stats sadly. The alternative could be Twilight 2000.

It's like a mini campaign where winning missions pushes public opinion in the states towards your side. Fail too much and the US undergoes communist revolution.

>Fail too much and the US undergoes communist revolution.
>Fail
>communist revolution

I do not understand, comrade.

Twilight 2000 is good, and Twilight 2013 is good too.

Both are still good.

Ie. the public finds that they don't want to support more US warmongering and the leftists are super powerful and then you're fighting in the streets of the USA.

Well, it IS hard to lose if you enjoy breadlines.

I vote for Traveller. It covers all tech levels from cavemen to modern to science fiction.

The gunplay is excellent, wounding is realistic. If you get shot by an assault rifle and don't have any armor, it's possible you could be unconscious from the one shot, unless the damage was low or you're a very, very tough guy.

Traveller has rules for firing single shots, bursts and full automatic, it tracks ammo and covers stances like prone and crouching.

The initiative system is "fluid" in that a leader can boost someone's initiative by using a leadership skill, or someone with a good "tactics" skill can boost the whole parties initiative at the start of the combat.
There are also 'reactions' that cause you to lose initiative during the next round - so if you try to dodge behind a wall during the enemies turn, you will lose 2 initiative next turn (and be -1 to everything you try to do).
This means you can react when its absolutely necessary (like when someone is pointing a gun at you with the intention of firing) but it will make your next less effective, and may even put you behind the guy with the gun in the initiative order.
Things like firing on full automatic can cause you to lose initiative if you're not a strong character - imagine a weak guy firing some giant machine gun and it going all over the place, and then having to spend a few seconds to re-adjust to what is going on.

All this is done in a very simple 2d6 based system. There is plenty of detail and tactical options, but it's not cluttered with hit location tables or endless rolls. Its very quick and deadly.

Would strongly recommend for modern combat, I've used it for Chechnya and for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game

Traveller and Twilight 2000 are the same system guy.

Also, for STALKER use T2000, same timeframe.

1e T2K is my fav RPG of all time

I think T2013 has a better combat resolution, but, the fucking background is so terrible...

I was a kid when T2K first came out.... i was
10 when i got my hands on my first copy of the boxed set. The backstory seemed so fucking plausible it gave me bad dreams.
>FFWD to T2K13
>get the book when it comes out... first day available i call off work and dive in to read, secretly wishing for a return to the feels i had and all the bad ass games i played
I felt anally raped after 3 pages of the history section

yeah, don't read that fiction - use your own or just use modern geo politics.

That said, the 'band' system for weapons is probably the BEST combo of grognard/quick playing I've ever encountered.

Yes, I know about Phoenix Command, but, I can't get anyone else to play it, but, I was able to get people to play T2013.

Shadowrun. Just ignore the magic shit.

It's a lot easier to run than GURPS, too.

Shadowrun's combat is cancer.
Almost every bullet hits and you get so many shots per round (which is only 3 seconds long), that nobody can move any relevant distance before one side wins.
Also, armor sucks, because it almost never soaks enough damage, even if the armor is rated for the attacking weapon.

These rules leads to the amazing fact, that it's the best action to just max your dodge and stay where you are. The one who hits and dodges better wins.

It's like line infantry tactics in a cyberpunk setting.

So no cover, no supressive fire, no flanking and no realistic hit ratios either.

If they don't want to play Phoenix Command because there's so many tables, try this: drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JCT2hEK1fLOXpNUjgwQ3pkeDg It's a spreadsheet that automatically determines if a shot hits, and if so, where and how much damage was inflicted - and the consequences of that damage!

This, Only War is the best game to run Combat Heavy regular RPGs in modern or sci fi settings imo

My group used it for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game that went amazingly well, would recommend

I absolutely detest GURPS, and I'm recommending GURPS because this is something it's legitimately good at.

FGU's Merc.