Thinks said by Stupids

"That's not a dragon! That's a Wyvern!"

Other urls found in this thread:

lumental.com/wdragon.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"Thinks saids by stupids"

>Book describes a 4 legged 2 winged creature. Drawings from the autor have clearly 6 limbs, everything points to a 6 legged magical creature
>"lets make it look like a bat, because no animal in nature has 6 limbs"
I don't care how you name it, both are dragons, but the stupidity of "muh realism" on a fucking dragon is rage inducing

Anyway the movie is shit, also have (you)

Pretty sure they made him look like that because of Skyrim and Game of Thrones TV-show

That's not a wyvern, THIS is a wyvern

Agree

Etymologically wyverns, dragons, drakes, etc. have very similar roots. Most of the distinctions we know today weren't made until way later. Unless the setting specifically defines the variations, I just don't really care. It's like getting mad at someone calling a poltergeist a ghost.

>"lets make it look like a bat, because no animal in nature has 6 limbs"

The entire insect kingdom would like a word with you.

The distinction between wyvern and dragon comes from medieval heraldry, which also distinguishes between a lion and a leopard based on which direction it's facing. I'd say that's hardly a definitive source on all things relating to magical reptiles.

>Thinks said by Stupids

>The word leopard comes from "leo" (lion) and "pard" (cheetah)
>"Leopard" is literally the medieval version of "liger"

This.
If we went literally, the dragons would be great snakes

That's not a wyvern, that's a spoon...

I see you've played Wyverny Spoony before.

It gets even funnier when you start translating it.

Leopard in dutch is "luipaard" which sounds similar, but means "lazyhorse".

>"Bob, we were hired to slay a dragon and we're gonna bring them a dragon, so shut your pedantic mouth."

>go prepared to fight a dragon instead of a wyvern
>die to poison because no poison protection, and wearing too much armor to account for a wyvern's generally smaller size and greater mobility

What's stupid about being accurate?

The difference if pretty clear. If someone wants an ostrich for their zoo, you don't give them a parrot.

>would like a word with you.
If by "you" you mean GRRMartin and Peter Jackson, ok, because I was just paraphrasing them

>The difference if pretty clear
No, it's a arbitrary distinction.

I think all wyverns are dragons, but not all dragons are wyverns.

>"That's not a dragon! That's a Wyvern!"
It's the equivalent of saying "That's not a bird! That's a parrot!"

More like the difference between a mini horse and a pony. Anyone who knows the difference is clearly a faggot whose opinion can be safely discarded.

What's the difference between a wyrm and a dragon?

Wyrms vary, but are usually just limbless dragons. Best case scenario is having two forelimbs to drag themselves along.

Wyrms are really old dragons. Wyverns, on the other hand, are more feral cousins of true dragons. Which makes them deadly hunters, and rather awesome mounts, given that they are of a much more manageable size.

>>"That's not a dragon! That's a Wyvern!"
>It's the equivalent of saying "That's not a bird! That's a parrot!"
not when a dragon can talk, cast spells, and shapeshift while a wyvern is just a big dumb lizard.

"BBEG"

They actually made it this way because the actor voicing it said he wouldn't do it unless they let him act with his full body, motion-capture and all, and Cumberbublech only happens to have 4 limbs.

And yet people think Smaug and Vermithrax are wyverns because they only have two legs.

If you want to be pedantic, it's "terrestrial vertebrates"

And they were damn right to do so. Holy fuck was watching him do that creepy.

Again, I think that's only some types of dragons. Smaug can't shapeshift or cast spells. Beowulf's dragon can't even talk.
Wyrms, Wyverns, Lindworms, and all the others are types of dragons.

Smaug wasn't even based on an "ordinary" dragon, but upon Fafnir; a dwarf turned into a dragon-like creature for his greed. Shit, the father of dragons in Middle-Earth was Glaurung who didn't have wings.

This whole discussion's utterly meaningless as what is or isn't a dragon when talking about the number of legs or wings is such a setting-specific thing, and you'll find examples of each and every one of these in ancient mythology.

Which just furthers OP's point that smugly trying to correct someone on what a dragon is, is the highest form of asshole.

>implying owls are birds

"Lui paard" is lazy horse. "Luipaard" is leopard.

Luca Ward >>>>> cucumberbatch

>and Cumberbublech only happens to have 4 limbs
Good thing you clarified that. With that alien you can never be too sure.

That's not true. Cumberbatch was advised to mocap by Serkis and Jackson so he could emote, thus getting the best facial mocap they could. It was only ever ment to be guidelines for the animators.

Also, they changed Smaug to having his wings be his forearms so he could gesture with his "hands" in relatable human(ish) ways. Jackson described the early animations of the 4 leg, 2 wing Smaug as "lumbering around like a puppy dog," and it detracted from Smaug being intimidating.

Geist is literally german for ghost though.

I think that's his point.

Much like how the German Drake means the same thing as the French Dragon. I didn't think it would be possible to miss his point, but you went ahead and missed it.

Oh woops, it's not that I missed his point, I read it as the opposite somehow.

Whatever you want them to be. Cause it's fantasy.

desu smaug had a good design in Jackson's movies.

>skink-like dragon
best of all worlds?

Do insect wings count as limbs?

I'm sorry kek, but that's a bad example, a poltergeist is a very specific type of ghost, the kind that moves objects around.
All poltergeists are ghosts, but not all ghosts are poltergeists.there's a clear delineation there.

I've never seen someone say this at the table, I think it's just one of those problems that Veeky Forums imagines people who actually play games have.

>No, it's a arbitrary distinction.
By that logic, dogs and cats are the same specie because they probably share a common ancestor.

>It's the equivalent of saying "That's not a bird! That's a parrot!"
Not really. A parrot IS a bird, but a wyvern ISN'T necessarily a dragon. There is a distinction.
Dragon - 4 legs, 2 wings.
Wyvern - 2 legs, 2 wings.
I assume you also confuse drakes and wyrms as just being true dragons too.

>More like the difference between a mini horse and a pony. Anyone who knows the difference is clearly a faggot whose opinion can be safely discarded.
You would be right, if a mini horse only had 2 legs. But they actually have 4.

>I assume you also confuse drakes and wyrms as just being true dragons too.
Correction, I meant to write: "I assume PEOPLE also confuse drakes and wyrms as just being true dragons too."

That sounded way more toxic than I had intended.

Dragon's aren't real user

>Some had wings - the legendary kind of wings that go together with front legs (instead of being front legs gone queer).

The fuck this even mean? The prof. was a Britisher, and still managed to contradict himself in a single sentence.

He means it has both front legs and wings ya doof

>Muh D&D

>dogs and cats are the same specie because they probably share a common ancestor
Or:

Dogs and cats are both in the order "Carnivora." Both are mammals of that order. They are not the same animal, but they are in the same group.

Wyverns are a type of dragon, if "dragon" is a group encompassing large reptilian creatures that share common traits. Which it does.

Really it all comes down to the fact that every single type of dragon with fewer than six limbs got their own name, but the iconic, four legs and wings sort are left as just Dragons. Orms, wyrms, guivres, wyverns, basilisks, drakes, linnorms, lindwyrms, etc.

Giving Smaug only four limbs allowed him to slither all snake like through his mountain of gold, and it thought it did a great job of making him look more menacing and sinister. It's not true to the original Hobbit, but i'd say it's an improvement. Unfortunately the same cannot be pretty much all the rest of the trilogy.

Friendly reminder that dragons in medieval European tapestries often had the heads of dogs and fur, didn't always have wings, and were rarely larger than a horse at most

All wyverns are dragons, but not all dragons are wyverns. It is literally that simple to shut people up.

>Wearing armor to deal with massive beasts that could easily one-shot you no matter how much armor you have on
Fucking scrub

Yes. Even better when they have mind powers.

Made my night

I will never understand autists trying to force arbitrary classifications on fictional creatures from different settings, each one with its own rules.
If I make a setting where a "wyvern" is a huge iguana then that thing will be a wyvern as far as my setting cares and all the autists can continue screeching till they choke.

Might as well ask this here: is wyvern pronounced why-vern or wee-vern?

That's not a dragon! That's an ogwhis!

wi - vern

Like Wifflebat or Window

I'm sorry kek, but that's a bad example, a drake is a very specific type of dragon, the kind that has no wings and walks on the ground.
All drakes are dragons, but not all dragons are drakes.there's a clear delineation there.

And then there's this goofy fucker.

日本のゆとり世代にそれを言っても知能すら無い世代に無意味です

Yeah, shit was silly

Cute

The medieval equivalent to a crab who has stolen your knife.

>that pic
>"what did you say to me, motherfucker."

having something equipped in every slot is really all you need to keep your physical resistance up

Funnily enough, I wasn't using D&D as a reference.

But there is the point. If someone tells you that they are having trouble with mountain lions, you are going to be looking out for mountain lions. Not wolves, not coyotes, and not tigers. You know what a mountain lion is, and there is no confusion about it. They wouldn't say "We are having trouble with the order 'Carnivora', so if you'd please cull anything than matches that scientific description, that'd be great!"

Now change that to wyvern. You aren't going to be interested in looking for drakes, wyrms, or true dragons. They are not what was described to you. And if they said "dragon" without specification, you should either look for a true dragon, or ask them to clarify exactly what it is they are referring to. They may have meant a small, harmless drake, but you expected a flying, fire-breathing terror.

In another example: when you are tasked with ridding a town from a group of bandits, surely they will go on to tell you where they were last sighted, any notable names, and what they looked like. They wouldn't be interested in the heads of bandits from the next country over; no amount of "they are still bandits, so I technically did my job" is going to suffice if you didn't get the right bandits.

Clarification is key, otherwise we're all going to be running blind and using only our best guesses.

>When you ask your dog what he has in his mouth

Insect is a class, the kingdom is Animalia

A shit "dragon" for a shit movie trilogy.

Pretty apt actually.

And it was the best part of the whole thing.

>So me, Steve, and Mongo McMichaels, we was all filling out our applications for the Nation of Domination and whatever, when this bitch comes up to me singing shit from Eiffel 65, and you know a nigga ain't dance to that shit if he ain't getting some shit on the side, so I cover my chest with oregano, see if she'd lick it off.

>But the bitch was drinking Bleu Orgy or some shit, and puts a .357 in my motherfucking kneecap, says she's gonna blast me a new dance routine. I was saved by the crazy bitch by grumma, who starts shouting about how we don't deserve no Habeus Corpus or damn Miranda rights anyway, before tossing off a salute and shouting 'Heil Hitler". That gave me enough of a distraction from the bitch that I could signal to Steve and Mongo McMichaels, and the two of them dropkicked her all the way to motherfuking Ireland. Anyway, I thought I was due some shit for my trouble, and pocketed her .357, and next thing I know, 3 niggaz from DHS says that gun was used in an Al Queda stick-up, and here the fuck I am at Guantanamo Bay.

>It's fucking hot here nigga.

Looks modern to me.

>This [subjective concept] must be [objective]!

My language just uses drake for all dragons, feels good.

Have you ever seen a four-legged two winged dragon on hollywood? No?

Maybe it's because they don't give a shit about stupid fucking jews.

It's like one of those "deep dream" pictures.

Dragon Warrior?
Warrior Dragon
lumental.com/wdragon.html

Same here, tends to help avoid confusion.
(SWE???)

Ye.

>By that logic, dogs and cats are the same specie because they probably share a common ancestor
It has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Besides, unlike dragons and wyverns, cats and dogs are real animals.
>I assume you also confuse drakes and wyrms as just being true dragons too.
Who the fuck decides what is a true dragon? Originally, they were just big snakes. If it has legs, it's not a "true" dragon.

Dragons are not real. Whatever classification that can be applied to irl animals, does not apply to dragons because the folklore around them is diverse

>I don't care how you name it, both are dragons, but the stupidity of "muh realism" on a fucking dragon is rage inducing
I'll never get over that
>Gigantic reptile that's armoured and muscled like fifty tanks bolted to a thousand Arnolds
> flying at all
>It's ok guys, we've made sure the limbs are accurate ;^)
If these realism faggots had any clue what they were talking about, the dragons would have the bone density of an anemic toddler.

you sound like a massive fucking virgin

Reminder that the actual folklore varied in size between around a horse and the size of a hill