/40krpg/ General

Power disparities in the party edition

Previous thread: For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.11) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/oocu0xqq97oa8pe/

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

How powerful have you or your PCs become?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/mrura6do2y9w2x2/Reference Template v4.xlsx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shamelessly shilling my battlegrid / character sheets
Now with better organized alignment and limited OW / BC npc choices.

mediafire.com/file/mrura6do2y9w2x2/Reference Template v4.xlsx

First for Sisters

>Big guns
>Godwyn De'az Pattern
o i am laffin

>How powerful have you or your PCs become?

They're at the end of the first rank of Ascension, so pretty hard core. I'm wondering about how to balance encounters with them, as I haven't thrown a fight their way in a while and I'm building up to a big one at the end of this arc. I'm a little worried I'll either paste them, or they'll paste the baddies. Oh well, that's what fate points are for (on both sides).

Finally finished my DH1.0 campaign. What a fucking blast, everyone liked it too.

>I'm a little worried I'll either paste them, or they'll paste the baddies
I always err on the side of caution. If they're too easy, "uh oh, reinforcements come in" or "just when you think you cut through the last of them, BIG_BAD_BOSS appears in the fading smoke of the carnage"

I've critted my players all of 4 times in 10 sessions of deathwatch

Well obviously you can't leave it at just that. What happened?

How do you handle ambushes, /40krpg/?
Some marines make a ruckus on the top levels of a blood pact bunker. With their buddies kerfuffled, the ones deep inside overwatch the entryway with meltaguns.

If they don't have the overwatch, they get slaughtered in one turn.
If they DO have the overwatch, the MARINES get slaughtered to the man.

How do I balance this?

>they solved a cult problem by broing up with an imperial knight chapter and killed an angsty teen rogue psyker
>they YOLO'd a terminator chaos lord with bayonets and won
>they organized a payday-style raid
>theykneecapped a lord of change
>they took part in the assault on a demon world and emerged victorious
>they fought off an alpha legion attack

The marines can use actual tactics instead of just running into the doorway without looking. Don't they have nades and flashbangs?

The point is that they don't know they're there. This is just an example, but I'm referring to all circumstances where NPCs catch PC's off guard.

The PCs should always look before entering when assaulting/infiltrating a potentially dangerous location. Like why the fuck wouldn't they do that? Also catching PCs off guard should be used along with the hints of such possibility.

I mean if they just stroll around the possibly enemy-infested territory, they deserve to get shit on.

Geeze! What rank were they at by the end? I'd be impressed with taking out a Lord of Change even if it was a Deathwatch crew.
I think there's a talent called "Rapid Reaction" or something like that that lets you test AG to be able to act normally when ambushed.
The other thing is to give hints. The Deathwatch *should* know that the Bunker is almost certainly still occupied, unless their opponents are particularly sneaky or the Watch is being dumb. Call of Intelligence or Tactica Imperialis rolls. On a success, they've got a good idea that the smart play would be to wait in ambush. Good success gets them more details on how *they* would do it, great success lets them have a pretty solid idea on how someone with the training level of their opponents would do it. Failure means they still suspect an ambush, but don't have much idea where or how it should go down. Critical failure means they're pretty sure the enemy is in flight and it'd be best to aggressively pursue.

They should be checking for that kind of shit

Because there are two extremes.

>I peek around the corner before proceeding
It's clear
>I peek through the door before proceeding
It's clear
>Now I peer around the emplacement
Okay, you find...
>I have 4 meters left in my move action, user, stop railroading me.

or

>Well, user, of course my character would icly be checking carefully around each corner! I don't need to declare footsteps, do I?

This seems like an alright solution, but it just becomes another awareness check at that point.

By the end they had 13k exp. The reason they've managed to kneecap a lord of change was because they had an imperial knight RKO'ing during the previous turn and a bunch of space marines.
I consider them out of combat when they check around the corners. Also they and myself use a "breach and clear" mode, when they declare that they are going through a possibly hostile enviroment, so they check the corners. Also yes, they still have to check doors manually.

So a few questions -

If a acolyte cell is party wiped in a not secure place, for example:

a) Surrounded by enemies
b) Wilderness
c) Vacuumed into space

Should fate point save them? If so, how many?

Totally up to the GM, IMO. Personally, I like using FP as "Miraculous Recoveries", so it's ok if things get pretty wacky.

>Surrounded by enemies
This is easy. They're either left for dead and miraculously wake up with grievous, but survivable injuries *or* their enemies take them captive, thus allowing the possibility of rescue or escape. While most of the enemies in 40k are pretty brutal, you could find a reason for them to be interested in keeping the cell alive. Dark Eldar want to torture them/force them to fight each other, Chaos wants information and to see if they can be turned, Eldar might have their own mysterious reasons, Tyranids might carry them back to "Aliens" style hive, etc.

>Wilderness
They're found and rescued by friendly natives. A storm or other event drives off their opponents, giving the unconscious acolytes a chance to survive. A large scavenging carnosaur drives off other predators, then begins happily feeding on the dead, utterly un-interested in the acolytes who survvied.

>Vacuum
This is the toughest. Maybe they're caught by some sort of stealthy craft that was secretly following the vessel they just left ? Through sheer luck they manage to grab emergency vac suits at the last moment? An unexplained magnetic flux jams them back against the hull, and they manage to break through another airlock alive but badly injured?

Thank you for discussing this. How about for example, execution by a NPC?

Honestly, sounds like a boring deathwatch game.

It has had its moments. They usually get down to 1-4 wounds, but an Apothecary with enhanced healing and promethium is really a boon.

Ideally, I'd always write in a "fighting chance" to begin with, but assuming despite their best efforts the acolytes wind up in front of a firing squad, I'd probably allow for a few options

>Miraculous recovery
The method of execution seems to kill the acolytes, but actually only knocks them out. Bullets hit the "sweet spot", electrocution knocks them unconscious but their hearts start beating again later, poisonous gas chokes them but doesn't kill them, etc.

>Heroic Intervention
Allies of the acolytes burst onto the scene at the last minute and rescue them! Could be a Deathwatch squad hunting the same target, the Arbites, a sudden mutant rebellion, other agents of the Inquisition, or Eldar Pathfinders who have foreseen that the Acolytes need to live a little longer to play their role in the schemes of the Eldar. In the chaos and confusion, the acolytes can try to make their escape. You could go full cheese and have a friendly npc teleport them out with a teleportarium, then babble about how insanely difficult it was to lock on to their signature and that it's really a miracle they were rescued at all.

>Change of Heart
This is something I'd rather write in than force players to burn fate points, but their executioner has a change of heart for whatever reason. They might decide that the acolytes aren't worth killing, that they area innocent of whatever they've been accused of, or that they deserve one last chance to prove themselves as warriors. A classic bad guy move, especially for Dark Eldar, would be to force the acolytes to fight each other in a gladiatorial match for the villain's amusement (of course, stupidly giving the acolytes weapons and a chance to escape).
Another variant might be to have the mooks serving the villain refuse to carry out their orders, for whatever reason. Perhaps they sympathize with the acolytes, or think they've received incorrect orders, or simply think the method of execution is too cruel or dishonorable.

It really depends. The idea behind fate is that you avoid death, but nothing else is garunteed. This means needing to burn a fate point can lead to being captured, losing limbs, brain damage, grievous injury, and worse. It really depends on what makes sense for the situation. Ideally when a player burns fate they should suffer something serious but manage to survive in a way that advances the plot somehow, such as the evil mastermind torturing information out of the PC before being deus ex machina'd by a deathwatch killteam. Shit, you could even have the PC erupt with spontaneous warp powers in his most critical moment before death.

Thank you fellow user-gm's. I really appreciate that 40krpg once again became a place that the creativity erupts.

You forgot Rule #2, OP.

Anyway, final version or near final version of the Titan Legion banner. Good? Bad? Does that cyan campaign badge on the right look really out of place?

Would a initial investigation into the cold trade that then spirals into the uncovering of a conspiracy centered a Dark Eldar Kabal that got bored of being the space!Fae and are now attempting to carve an empire out of the Koronus Expanse and Calixis be a good campaign? I wanna have it so that the results could be spun off into future Rogue Trader and Deathwatch campaigns.

Rule #2?

Rule #2 is a corollary to Rule #1;
>Never start a thread with an image way less interesting than the text

What's the smallest warp capable ship?

raiders unless you subscribe to the abnettverse

The Dark Mechanicus guy in the Night Lords trilogy had a ver small warp capable ship. Couldn't have been much bigger than a Stormbird. It was parked in their hangar and was very cramped.

How does everyone feel about the system switch for wrath and glory from percentile to d6 system? I don't really have any experience with d6 system so what are your thoughts?

More info is needed still. Like, some char/enemy/equipment stats.

I'm very skeptical. I don't like dice pools, honestly. It also means I need to get an alternative to servitor bot.

I'm more concerned about the feel, if that makes sense. For however shitty BI and FFG were, their games fit 40k to a tee, mechanically and thematically.
It seems, though, that Ulysses-Spiel is going for a more DnD approach-- larger compatibility for mixed-species games as well as human-marine games makes me feel like who or what you are is going to matter much less.

feels are unique to everyone. I'm more concerned that the mechanics work, since that will be the main points of discussion

>play operator in only war, in charge of driving the squads chimera (mechanised infantry regiment)

>fuck up majorly whenver inside the chimera, get courtmarshalled for reckless in combat after crushing a comrade with a failed operate maneuver.

>But whenever he is outside the chimera however, he rolls a like a beast and is a true /k/ommando being an accurate motherfucker, getting kills left and right, disarming bombs and beatinga kroot in 1v1 melee after getting ambushed at 1600 xp (took 7 out of 10 wounds on that one, but he won).

What did the dice gods mean by this?

I was hoping for something nonmilitary but it's 40k so everything is militarized to some extent

This isn't star wars, unless you ascribe to the abnettverse there are no millennium falcons. All warp ships are a kilometer minimum.

I know that, I just meant something more pleasure yacht than naval warship. Something a rich noble would have but he isn't a rogue trader

A noble might have a system ship for tooting around his own star system. Probably something large and fancy, that can "hitch" a ride with a larger, Warp-capable craft if he really feels the need to go observe some celestial phenomenon elsewhere in the sector.
Provided the pools stay a reasonable size, I'm fine with it. If it's like Shadowrun where I'm rolling more than 20 dice whenever I attack, that's a problem.

The other kind of Operator

It means to switch to sharpshooter.

The Tau Manta. Smaller than Imperial interceptors.

Short of Abnettverse or Dark Age technomagery, the smallest canon ship is a Viper raider, which is 0.95km long. Even with DA shittery, I wouldn't go too much smaller than 500 meters for a Normandy style scout sloop for an Inquiz.

Say a DH2 feral worlder has a primitive weapon, and then later adds mono, does it lose the proven 3 trait that feral worlders normally get on primitive weapons seeing as mono removes the primitive trait?

No as it just needs the weapon to be low-tech, not primitive.

Sweet, wanna play a feral worlder with a favored weapon who just sorta upgrading the same weapon for the first while.

A great weapon would get you more out of your home world bonus than most other low-tech melee weapons.

My first DH character all those years ago had his jaw torn off because it was my first game with hit locations. The resulting paranoia about helmets has always left me wondering, how do you wear head protection casually?

By rockin' it with gold filigree and stuff.

Perfectly inconspicuous!

>lThey fought off an Alpha Legion attack

Either one of them got replaced my a Legion sleeper member, the visual assault was just a ruse to get their agents into deeper cover, the loss was just as planned, or the war is still being fought, but they just don’t realize it

How often does anybody in your group make custom bits of hardware?

>How powerful have you or your PCs become?
17000 XP in DH2e, so quite. Our GM seems to be struggling to come up with real challenges for us, but then again it's fun since we can really play through and affect these narratives he presents for us and it feels like reading an Eisenhorn novel or such.

My psyker is PR6 now though, Telepath core. Haven't really met any humans lately that could really resist him just bursting into their minds and trawling through their thoughts, last session GM pulled a "his mind is trained and resistant, only revealing surface thoughts" on me so I just removed the last 50 minutes of his memory and as he was scrambled and confused broke into his mind again. Incredibly unstable though, constantly dipping deeper into the warp with Tainted Psyker and not actually Sanctioned despite the party believing I am. Oh and there's another one of me out there due to timey wimey bullshit.

It would be if you're hanging out with the ministorum or such.

>not sanctioned

How do you handle the lack of the psyker aptitude? Is it as much of a drawfags as I keep imagining?

Isn't that aptitude given by the very Psyker elite advance regardless of sanctioning?

It is.

Oh wow, and here i have been thinking the opposite for an embarrassingly long time.

Our Interrogator is a Sanctioned Psyker, with even a null rod now. I liberally use Warp Lock however so that I can push worry free at least once per session. Although with PR6, you no longer find yourself pushing as much...

The funniest part is that he carries the null rod for himself after he stared into the face of a minor daemon his Perils almost caused. I've been pretty good for not causing Phenomena by accident.

Oh, Psyker aptitude, I misread that. Yeah as the other guys said you goof.

One of my players had a World Eater berzerker who could match a Chapter Master in melee. He even killed one once.

When it comes to minibosses and major enemy NPCs, does Veeky Forums give them special advantages and customised talents?

I'm running a game of Dark Heresy2e, and I'm going to have the PCs, when they're not fighting heretics, aliens or daemons wind up standing off against the opposing factions of the inquisition in clandestine conflict - but I'm also tempted to run them as over the top villains, with gimmicks and weaponry reminiscent of the main enemies in games like MGR and No More Heroes.

Thoughts on this approach? Good? Bad? Any suggestions for custom mechanics/weaponry/gimmicks to implement I'd appreciate immensely.

Custom enemies always good, if you can handle balance. I have one every two sessions, and they work just fine, even when i give them OP-abilities.
But my players outsmart them almost every time.

>17000 XP in DH2e, so quite.
Small time.
I've hit nearly 50k, and the oldest surviving acolyte has broken 60k.
It actually doesn't change that much, despite what you may think. Characters will have high base characteristics, strong skill spread, and be very, very good at 2-3 things, and passable in many others.
You won't actually excel, tho, unless you are a psyker, because equipment is actually the big gulf bridge, not XP. A 40k xp desperado with a lasgun is not more dangerous in a firefight than a 15k guardsman with a plasmagun.

There was a time when Shas was running a playtest or something for a new homebrew, wasn't there?

How did the playtest go?