media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
Tell us a little about your most recent character. What do they look like, what's the single most defining aspect about them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JnXi3SVJXbM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How would you build him for 5e? Stats, background, skills, classes, all of it.

Hardmode: no memes
Nightmare: no owlbear

I made a duelist named Serpico yeah the one you may be thinking of. He was born of a noble background but doesn't want things handed to him so he's slowly distancing himself from them to make a name for himself.

I also made the mistake of making a duelist in Storm King's Thunder where I am getting absolutely diddled by giants.

City guard background Oath of the Crown paladin.
Next.

I fucking hate characters that are blatant rip-offs of popular nerd canon. So go fuck yourself and your fun.

I'm okay with subtle rip-offs, though.

I need an interesting non-combat encounter that might happen in the Hell version of Valhalla.
What the hell do I do?

Anyone have any little encounters for a city setting they feel like sharing? I have larger events going on in the little city my players are in but I'm trying to add some meat to the map by filling it with smaller encounters.
I'm trying not to just fill it with bandit ambushes and bar fights but I am shit.

Gonna DM Curse of Strahd with a few friends. Having some trouble figuring out Strahds play with Ireena. I know he is gonna want her but I am not sure how and when he is going to do it. I figure as soon as he finds out the party has her he is just gonna go out and get her back. But as soon as that happens the party isn't gonna have no real way in stopping him nor do I think he would wait all that long in turning her.

Interested in hearing how other people seen this played out and to get any advice.

>the Hell version of Valhalla
Elaborate.

Maybe a not-so-fun drinking game or something? Like drinking viscous poison to see who keels over first or something. Seems like something hell-heroes of legend might do for kicks.

Souls fight until death, respawn immediately, and is otherwise a terrible place to be.
Party is tasked by Hell's officials to recover a certain individual, who has successfully rebelled against this system.
On the way to the rebel, I'm interested in throwing in an encounter before meeting with the rebel and their forces.

Current campaign character is a jaded Human Barbarian who is coming to regret several of the decisions he's made leading up to this point in his life.

My character for a one shot this weekend is a Half-Elf Inquisitor who's just trying to get paid so he can finally take a fucking vacation.

Aside from archery what's the best fighting style for a ranged fighter? I was thinking close quarters shooter, defense, or mariner.

Made a big guy 7'8" barbarian named Thoradin. He's a Goliath so grey skin, black markings that are more sharp instead of flowing lines. That'd really be his two defining aspects, big and rocky markings all over his skin.

Made a Lizardfolk Ranger named Vaess who gives barely half of a fuck for his companions aside from their usefulness but starts to warm up to them for my first actual AL legal campaign. Realized PHB Ranger was garbage the minute we hit the jungle and swapped up for Revised, now I'm MVP because we never get lost, I can hold my breath to deal with water threats and dodge Mad Monkey Mist, and I can talk beasts out of an encounter and still get us roleplaying xp. Bretty gud.

I'm finally DMing a campaign for friends! Super excited, but I feel a little overwhelmed. I'm hoping to do a pirate campaign, but I've never done anything sea-based in 5e.
Has anyone done a campaign like this, where most of the action takes place on the ocean?
I'm planning on having them start in prison and break out, and work their way up to stealing a warship out from under the local not-Spaniards from which to mount their raids. For the sake of balance, I'm just refluffing hand crossbows as pistols. Cannons are a two-step firing, with a DC10 STR check to load and an attack with disadvantage to hit. They do 8d6 damage to whatever they hit. Ships have AC15, DR10, and vulnerability to fire, so just stabbing at the boat won't be good enough. You'd need to use weapons designed for taking them down.

Any good ideas for encounters or NPCs? What comes to mind when you hear "PIRATES"? I want to hear it!

I think my younger cousin would enjoy D&D, she acts in a lot of plays and whatnot, but if i were to dm for her it would probably be a solo game, at least for the first session. Any advice for running solo games? Also any advice on how to avoid the stigma of weird nerd shit that D&D can have?

close quarters shooter

Actually sounds pretty interesting, I might steal that idea.
For noncombat stuff, what about a minor devil hustling your party to gamble on the fights?

Helping the locals in one manner or another, strange noises outside people's homes turns out to be some monster. Blaksmith had tools disappear from his shop, could be a thief or a creature that just like hoarding things but is ultimately harmless. Local festival is coming up, but the nearby woods where they gather certain trees has become dangerous go find out why.

I am still salty that Undying Light didn't make it in as a Warlock pact. It had cool fluff and neat mechanics. That is all.

Don't include weird nerd shit? How is this a fucking question? Also don't be that DM if you know what I'm hinting at.

Lost child.
Lost pet.
Bakery in need of help running errands/gathering supplies.
Potion brewer looking for volunteers to help test out new recipes.
Incumbent governor/mayor looking for help keeping their position.
Up and coming politician looking for help to overthrow the Incumbent mayor/governor.
Secret, underground fight club.
Open, above ground fight club that is entirely staged like pro wrestling.
Wandering group of heavy metal Orc Bards.
Stationary group of Dwarven beat poets.

If Strahd's goal was to kidnap Ireena ASAP, he already would have. He's more likely to let things play out than you think, otherwise the campaign falls apart. He'll only get really pissed if she dies somehow.

If you think he'll be pissed when they move her, just remember it takes time for information to travel and by the time Strahd gets wind of it, the party probably will have moved on to a safe zone.

What I've heard from nautical campaigns is that a lot of the time nothing happens at sea.
You might want to zip-zoom and skip sections you might have in a more grounded adventure real quick to keep the interest going.

It's just one layer of Buddhist Hell. The setting is Japan and the rebel is Nobunaga.

They're doing it to cheese and get an extra sneak attack becuase a reaction isn't part of your round, a less faggy way to do this is to have a battlemaster with commanding strike

They reworked it into the celestial.

Pretending to be a fantasy character is inheirently weird and nerding by normie standards, you know what i mean

Lots of normies have been getting into d&d lately

I feel like they should meet someone badly injured who wants to be killed.

Archery you faggot
Close quarters shooting if you already have archery for +3 to hit
Failing that, defense. There's no point in using melee weapons unless you've given magical melee weapons.

A local bard's parrot has learned the vicious mockery cantrip, it somehow escaped and is now terrorizing the peasants, he will pay well if it is captured and returned to him alive

>ua fighting style
don't be a nerd

That's what I thought.
I said aside from archery, that implies I already had it.
I'm using a third party archetype, I'll do what I want.

Is there a good place to get free spell area templates for roll20? The trove has a few, but they're very specific.

Have you personally tried to re create an existing character into D&D or tweak it so you arent straight out ripoff? Does it turn out good or bad?

>shitty third party homebrew
Post it so we can insult it and you for using it.

>tfw no unarmed fighting style

Its called monk user

I just liked the idea of making a loser who was just trying to tap into the universe’s magic to power their heating and lighting systems and accidentally got a face full of positive energy dick

>tfw people still think punching the incarnations of hell itself is a good idea
>They aren't satisfied with being able to grapple them instead

Complete scrub playing LMOP with my equally scrubby group.
Do you have to roll anything to jump over a gap?
Like say a PC wants to jump a 20 foot gap with a runup does he have to roll anything for that or does it just happen?
Alternatively what about the exact same scenario but with a PC wearing the boots of striding and springing?

What's the best race for fluff and why is it Elves?
What is the best race for pathetic powergamers and why is it Variant Human?

I played Karl Pilkington: The Cleric for a bit in PF when I was new to the hobby, planning on recreating him for D&D whenever we need a Cleric. He was fun.

>tfw people still think punching the incarnations of hell itself is a good idea

Well if you're going to put it that way, smacking them with a few pounds of steel isn't that much of an improvement, either.

My goblin monk was out of darts once and I ran in and started biting a remorhaz
Yeah, best for fluff because they are soft weak pussies who fuck trees all day

This is covered in the handbook user. Not to be a dick but please look it up, there's useful information about fall damage and suffocation nearby that you might find useful later on.

I’d imagine many DMs would ask for an athletics roll with a medium high DC from a character trying a long running jump or an acrobatics check from someone doing kung fu nonsense

Better to use a finely crafted piece of steel than the flesh of your hand.

It actually works well if a DM uses good values for reload and misfire.

20 is about the max you can jump without magic, you can't jump firther than your movement and seeing as the run up 10 feet and the jump is 20, and to make that you would probably need a 20 strength

Awww, are you sad about your short lifespan? back down the salt mines Moradin

So why is there a greataxe and greatsword but no greathammer? Is there only 2 weapons with up to 12 damage except lance?

Haha funni fishy pic XD

It's called a Maul user

>Got btfo yesterday with shit rolls
>Comes back today
Fuck off

A death in the mines that you dedicated your life to is far more honorable than dying if a forest that you won't touch because muh sacred nature

>Where's the Greatwhip?

Currently playing an Aasimar Pally sunbro named Alonna for CoS. She's young, idealistic, but naive. She loves to sing and doesn't know a single cuss word.

You should take a look at the Port Nyanzaru in the ToA adventure.

please sell me on the sun bro and why it would be better than vengeance

She's gonna learn them all if she's in bahrovia

Borb

Rolled 13 (1d20)

>Suck my Elven shlong with this Intimidation roll
>Dig a hole
>Die in a hole
Wow. There's a word to describe that, but it's not that one.

>sunbro
essplain?

By sunbro I mean she's devoted to Lathander. She's Oath of Ancients, but her affinity for nature is more flavored towards the sun.

>Not choosing the Greatlance with GWM

Evelyn, is that you?

Learn to apply yourself. You could be creative if you tried.

>Calling a great dwarven city a simple hole
Put that toothpick away and kiss me stoney ass, knife-ear

My friend, if we're talking about a fantasy world where swords can be enchanted to take down the very essence of evil itself, and you can't imagine how a fist could be enchanted to do the same, then you have absolutely no imagination.

youtube.com/watch?v=JnXi3SVJXbM

elves are second only to humans in being boring and generic and what little fluff they have pushes them way too strongly towards certain roles and archetypes. you're right about v.human though but half elf is a pretty close second, tied with halfling for meme builds

With monks they get ki
Or you could get magical adamantine knuckles

>Do you have to roll anything to jump over a gap?

What do you think, retard?

One problem there princess I'm not an NPC so rolls don't work here

>able to extend your backstory with additional talent that is backed by game mechanics
>not good for fluff

Sure, a feat at level 1 is pretty powerful in terms of gameplay. But it's also golden in terms of roleplay.

Yeah and you're going to enchant your fists by choosing a level 1 fighting style instead of dedicating yourself to it in a monastery

No matter what, you're unlikely to beat a PAM polearm with your fists unless you have shit like monk's stunning strikes

That misfire mechanic sounds like the least fun thing they could think of. Why do gun homebrews always do this shit?

Any of you played The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan? Any tips and opinions on running it?

Kill the entire party at the first opportunity so you don't have to run it

Despite my best efforts it's what the NPCs in our campaign remember most, then again that could just be my DM.

Because Pathfinder but most people don't know PF hates martials. There's actually a PF setting where guns don't have it just like in base 5E. My DM actually made it worse by adding an explosion range.

It seems like a cool but brutal place. Why don't you like it?

so what do you do if someone walks up to you?
just take the disadvantage on point blank melee?

Thats my tip, the trap filled dungeon should kill people if they aren't smart about it

Because they want bigger damage so they throw that in as a draw back

This shit happens when you try to take the guns into a setting where there aren't supposed to be a lot of guns, where they try to put misfire and these penalties in to represent that you're not really supposed to be doing this shit and that you should give up and become an archer.

Nope

>Yuan-ti not being the powergamiest race
>V. humans aren't the problem, compulsory feats for martials are the problem

The setting has guns being relatively common (i.e. pretty standard military weapons) yet misfire is inflated beyond what Mercer suggests. I'm guessing my DM doesn't know why guns overtook bows when they did.

as fucking goofy as this subclass is i actually quite like the mechanics of having a resource to manage that adds minimal effects and can be replenished by playing smart in combat (as far as "using this character to deal finishing blows" can be called playing smart), i hope it gets polished up and implemented in something decent

>b-b-but it's compulsory
no one buys you shit user

Not that user, but the either or of ASI and feats is sub-optimal

whats the next book going to be? new adventure module? any ideas on what it would be? TOA was their best so far and next one probably even better

Anyone have a complete d100 weighted table of all playable races? For reincarnation and player gen?

>You can either have flavour and suck at your role or you can do your role properly and use the most flavour-flexible race to have flavour too
Have fun being an irrelevant side character

heh... not bad kid, but check this out!
*misses because of GWM*
s-so optimal, how can i compete?

>Proficiency Dice
Thoughts? Anyone played with these rules?