What is Exalted?

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned them on.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/CSmDSxJE
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1069023-ask-the-devs?p=1164305#post1164305
pastebin.com/r4Gjx3ff
nishkriya.com/Posts/Details/6497
youtube.com/watch?v=DIneiOpuS2M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A theoretical style called White Veil confirmed for Dragonblooded book, wonder what they'll put in those pages seeing as that's not a thing.

Any humor in the running joke of that style died on the third line. I hope this time they don't write it the same way.

I mean, it was only ever in like the first paragraph. But I'm sorry a running gag fucked your mom and made you watch user.

No luck there, they've been continuing it in the ask the devs thread.

It really is kind of a stale meme though. Admittedly perhaps made more so by having appeared in one of Second Edition's most worthless books.

I mean I get it, it's an old joke, but some people enjoy an old in-joke. I know my usual Exalted group people have a short giggle every time we birng it up. We also know when to drop it.

And in defense of the devs, the question was asked in a way begging for the meme. Even if they don't repeat the joke, meeting the fans at their level is probably good.

So, anons, let's say that a Twilight got their hands on Mata-Yadh (or, at least, Mata-Yadh's corpse) and decided to forge it into a Warstrider akin to a cross between a Gurren Lagann and one of the Fin Funnel-centric gundams, with a face on its chest chest and stomach whose mouth is full of the aurora, and has Mata-Yadh's legs attached to its back, with fire cannons attached to each of them.

It gets all of Mata-Yadh's charms as Evocations (scattered across essence levels, with Raking Obsidian Shards becoming a hail of essence-fueled shots from the Fin Funnels), along with maybe a few extras like a rocket punch evocation, with an attunement bonus of being able to ignore ammunition for its fire cannons, since it's shooting bolts of its aurora rather than actual firedust, and being able to ignore the Slow tag on them, since it has eight of them. Maybe one or two of Sublime Cathedral of Annihilation's entry-level evocations to let it do that "lock onto a bunch of targets before shooting them all" thing that Gundam series with Fin Funnels like to do. Maybe take its capstone charm, too, for a combined super-attack using all of the Fin Funnels.

Do you think that this would be balanced for a 5-dot Noble Warstrider, or would it need to be an Artifact N/A Royal Warstrider?

Cast out beyond regard is the best charm and you cannot tell me otherwise.

Which artifact's that? The name seems familiar, but I'm looking through Arms and I can't seem to find it.

It's not. Its from 2e dreams of the first age revised.

I hope that user who asked for golden armors last thread saw what I posted.

Anyone have the new Hundred Devils Night Parade stats?

Why are Zenith and Melee the only anti-CoD stuff/charms?

Maybe they were trying to tone down the "CoD's are completely fucked a thousand different ways" thing from 2E.

It had better be balanced for a 5-fot Warstrider, because an Essence 3 baby behemoth being material for an N/A Artifact would be retarded as fuck.

Yeah, sure, but I remember people complaining about how OP and nearly-unbeatable it was back when it first came out.

Also, I decided to write up the Evocation write-up for it, and I think it wound up turning out like the Nu Gundam had a baby with Lazengan, with a little bit of Mazinger Z.

pastebin.com/CSmDSxJE

There's also Fiery Solar Chakram in Thrown.

Don't know if this was talked about in the last thread, but vance tossed around the idea of an errated'd corebook

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1069023-ask-the-devs?p=1164305#post1164305

Sooooo, EX3.5?
(Fix Investigation pls)

Rules for bureaucracy pls

THIS.

Exalted has had a bunch of attempts at writing Bureaucracy rules over the years but they always suffer from being tacked on after the fact. If they put them in the core, then they can update Charms etc to indicate how they interface with that system.

Craft rewrite when.

I have a weird urge to create an Exalted-based /v/ along the lines of King of Dragon Pass.

So when is the Dragon-blooded Kickstarter supposed to drop?

Next year

So a character takes the Disfigured flaw. What are some disfigurment he could suffer that are above the "well he is just really ugly" and would not go into Flaws, like a missing eye?

Go ahead and act on that urge, user.

Really bad burn scars, missing ears and nose, truly gross pox marks, an ugly and demeaning tattoo given to criminals/outcastes/slaves in some culture.

Probably February next year. No Kickstarters in December, and there's already another Kickstarter planned for January.

His dad was a rape ape, and he's inherited the baldness and some degree of ape-like features.

Yes, rape apes were canon in 2e. I think that they were named "rapaces" or something.

playing a game where an infernal circle gets 2nd hand deviltiger shards. having trouble coming up with an anima power which is one reason I'd normally never bother with that particular homebrew heavy path in an actual playthrough.(the gamesystem breaking down entirely at higher essence regardless of splat being the other problem)

does this look functional? pastebin.com/r4Gjx3ff

if so, now is a very good time for it. waiting til later risks breaking things, right now it's just the one splat to rebalance, and what luck that it is also the only splat they would bother to do so for like in 2.5 where everybody else who benefited (lunars for example) did so by a combination of the coincidence and being sufficiently solar-like to function (not like those poor neglected alchemicals, the dragonbloods who lost their one special thing, or infernals which collapsed entirely)

>the dragonbloods who lost their one special thing
I never liked DB's getting free reflexives as a thing. What, exactly, about elemental bullshittery allowed that? It was an entirely mechanical benefit with no root in anything they do. I was glad it was gone.

Does nobody have any comments on the warstrider I made?

No. OC Is a plague.

I don't usually read OC. Sorry user. Part of why I'm dreading those fucking Exigents, I don't want to have to filter out endless pages of absolute fucking garbage people are going to dream up for their special snowflake Exalt's who are all Solar+.

I like it. Reads like something my Twilight would make if she didn't already have a rusted out Blue Jade Noble carcass to work on.

I like the idea of exigents more than any new type of Exalted, but I see what you mean. It'll be interesting to set-up some of these things as narrative elements within my own games, but the snowflakes that'll probably pop up will a be thing to behold.

You realize good content emerges out of shit?

You need to read a lot of shitty content and with process of elimination you have good content that remains.

Same goes with creating stuff. You will create bad material that is laughable. With time and improvement (comparing it to stuff made by your superiors) you will get better. Maybe you won't become top tier but you will definitely improve.

This is why there are movies, books, comics, jokes etc. that are considered great by majority of people.

>You realize good content emerges out of shit?
>
>You need to read a lot of shitty content and with process of elimination you have good content that remains.
Thats all well and good, but that doesn't mean I, personally, want to wade through it or see the utter deluge of shit thats gonna explode out of the collective asshole of Exalted fans the moment that terrible, garbage idea of an Exalt type is shat out by the dev's. Because it's gonna be all over these threads like shit is all over the walls at a Taco Bell.

Sounds like a case of "tough shit" dude. Sorry.

Yes, but you do realize that what you want doesn't actually matter, right? I don't just mean that I, personally, don't care about it. I mean that, from an objective perspective, your personal dislike is not a sensible reason for devs to not write something they and a lot of other people consider interesting and useful. Your personal dislike is also not a sensible reason for anyone to not make an Exigent, or to not post it here for some feedback.

Okay. Want to find something out. OC is shit.

Are you okay with shit official content? Because to be fair there is a lot of shit in current, and previous, editions.

Yes, because it isn't repeated endlessly every time some shithead has another "HAY GUISE WANT TO SEE MY TOTALLY ORIGINAL NOT-AVATAR CHARACTER WITH ELEMENTAL POWERS WHO IS ALSO TOTALLY A MATCH FOR SOLARS BECAUSE SOLARS ARE BORING BUT NOT ELEMENTAL POWERS NOPE NO-SIREE".

Official shit tends to be easier to avoid and become well known as something thats shit that you should skip. Pic most relevant.

Is there a book that gives a detailed account of how the primordial war played out?

You get bits and pieces here and there, but the general idea of the Primordial war is that its this 90% mythical war, The War, where weapons so powerful were unleashed by both sides that the very physical laws of Creation itself were torn asunder by the forces employed.

you mean blood apes? they've been around since 1e.

>literally being asked for help.
>get told what you want doesnt matter

How is user asking for help by syaing he doesn't want to see fa/tg/uys post their Exigents here?

It kinda looks like he means cleaning up language more than anything. Though maybe some charm stuff could be redone. The charmset really isn't bad. Despite doomsayers.

uh some dumb shit was asking about his homebrew crap.

Oh shit

Is there any alternative universe fiction about what would have happened if the primordials won the war?

Ignore the faggots throwing a tantrum at somebody posting OC. They're the kind of people who act like they can gatekeep but probably run zero games, so their opinions matter less than nothing.

As for your Warstrider, took a lazy look, balance seems fine since mostly you took other WS Evocations and tweaked, blended some of Mata's own powers. I'd say it seems pretty good, but for maximum punch you should finish refluffing and renaming the stolen Evocs. All in all, pretty decent, more effort than I often do by actually having a document instead of telling your poor players you'll totally write one up and then working 40 hours instead of doing cool shit, like me.

The Celestial and Terrestrial styles were pretty alright, though. The Sidereal styles were cancerous, though.

The ideas behind the styles were fine. But the mechanics in the book were universally bad.

Okay, but since nothing of the sort was in the post I was replying to, how is that relevant? user was going on about how he doesn't want to see other people's homebrew that'll come once Exigents are out, and I said his desires don't matter. What exactly is your problem with this?

I'm excited for decent mechanics for some of those styles (and not burdened by the need to write them specifically for intentionally mega-crippled DBs)

Presence has Enemy-Castigating Solar Judgment, too.

I didn't comment on it because I don't have a head for Warstrider analysis yet as I haven't seen them in play. I guess my general advice would be playtest it in it's current incarnation and make changes as you see the need in the game with the co-operation of the ST. I like the fluff parts just fine and I'd allow it on fluff in one of my home games.

Also is right. Stuff that's original and about getting used is simply more valuable than jerking off and arguing about the finer points of setting minutae or pretending you're smarter than the devs (any of them).

Shards of Exalted Dreams has Gunstar Autochthonia

Yeah, its in the last book for 2e, Shards of the Exalted Dream. Basically Sol flips sides, everyone loses their shit, and Autobot goes "Oh fuck, everyone get onboard" and then blasts off into space.

There's also Exalted Modern.

Well, less so the Primordials winning moreso than the Infernals.

Exalted Character Concept:
Azcha Choum, Twilight Caste Solar
A demonologist and sorcerer, Azcha has decided that it's his mission in life to catalogue every demon species in Hell, Creation, and everywhere else, and to determine their potential for growth.

Accordingly, by the time he becomes a PC, he has travelled quite a lot, and sought out enough demons to have a broad base of knowledge. His primary summon is an eekashau, a small demon capable of generating mystical electricity in a variety of ranged attacks, but he can summon a number of other demons.

What do you all think? Would you let someone play a character with that concept?

Sure, it seems legit. Cataloguing every species of demon is certainly lofty enough a goal for a Solar.

>What are you going to do with that big list of demons, Solar?

Why specifically demons? The only thing that really distinguishes them from other spirits is that they're Yozi-derived.

Well, there's more variety in them, and there's less chance that they're going to run to the nearest Dynast screaming "That Solar tried to touch my no-no place!"

I never get what is this setting about even though I have read some stuff. can you just give me a summary of an example session/adventure?

You misunderstand, the reason I'm confused is about why you're excluding elementals and other spirits, not why you're not replacing them. Sure the demons have more variety, they're descended from dozens of primordials instead of just one as is the case with elementals. It just seems strange that he'd be specifically interested in demons and nothing but demons without a good reason.

It's about being powerful dudes who have explicit carte blanche to do what you will, in a world that hates them because ten bajillion years ago they all went nuts from an ancient death curse (that also made everyone else go nuts).

I mean, it's the kind of game that has a lot going on, encourages a lot of player driven story, and setting works very kitchen sink.

To contrast the things you get, I'm currently playing a game where I'm literally scavenging an ancient magically advanced theme park for toys. Literally silly themed districts like fucking disneyland.

In another game we spent a bulk of the sessions befriending a cursed being that kept inadvertently bringing tragedy on us and trying to get us to stop banging our heads on the tragedy wall while we were stubborn and tried to save things/people from said devastation while learning a way to stop the curse.

nishkriya.com/Posts/Details/6497

I'm kind of wondering how someone can play RPGs and have that reaction to original content and characters. It seems... kind of inimical to the whole thing?

I can tell you how. Ever have that one annoying friend who can't stop bringing up their shitty OC Donut Steele for games, or trying to fit shit blatantly from other media into goddamn everything? Yeah. That guy. Now multiply that by several thousand times, and you get how some people view OC. Because thats how it actually works from what I've seen.

I GM'd on a chat once. If I had a dollar for every Dr. Who or Avatar ripoff or "THIS COOL THING I SAW IN AN ANIME IS NOW A MARTIAL ART I'M GONNA SUBMIT", I'd have enough money to buy OP and fire every asshole who so much as thinks the word "Exigents".

It does seem silly, even if MOST OC tends to be somewhere between meh and really bad/op, you'd think you'd at least appreciate the attempt.
Going all the way as to shit on creative attempts (not allowing them in your games, just fucking accepting it's a nice effort or at least not aggressively crapping down someone's throat for trying) still makes you the asshole though.

I haven't crapped on anyones efforts though. I just ignore OC's. I think you're confusing me with the other user. I was just relating as to how a person can come to loathe OC stuff.

Doubly so because it's also usually hilariously unbalanced in ways that make you want to put your head through a wall.

Eh. If I let chat rooms being stupid hurt my opinions I would have burned my RPG books entirely by now. As someone who has GMed D&D on forum multiple times, believe me, the anime fans are positively pleasant to deal with compared to the RAWnuts. "I saw this combo in a forum it's perfectly legal!" was always far more annoying to me than "I watched this anime and it was totally badass can I homebrew a magic sword based on the protag's"

General you, not you specifically, I'm referencing the guy who goes as far as to call them a plague. If all you do is ignore them then whatever, that''s your deal, no serious beef with me.

And don't get me wrong, I tried my hand at some of the dicebag bullshit NWN servers based on Bleach/Naruto, I know bad balance lol. Still prefer people out there trying because it sometimes strikes gold, or evolves into someone who writes a cool new system.

to be fair, that was mostly because of a weird forum interpretation of a line from the infernals book here swlihn said having gsp makes the yozi unable to be killed into neverborn. instead of interpreting this as "having gsp who know even one of their charms kicking around must act like when they still have a 3rd circle so the worst they'll get is fetchdeath. and gsp are also an offsite backup for the charms they know so even that gets mitigated somewhat" it became popular to declare it "herpaderp yozi are made of charms and the book never outright stated their charms disapear if they die, so if an infernal eventually learns all of the charms they become that yozi, so that paragraph really must have meant that even if malfeas is in eternal pain and loss of identity as a neverborn I guess it gives him some comfort to know /a/ malfeas still exists somewhere" and they somehow brought some devs around to that way of thinking and ruined a cool idea

Your salt for Exigents sustains me.

What the hell is there to review on it? You basically cribbed all the charms from the Behemoth and a few from Sublime.

Flightless Bird Racing: Keep in mind that floating above the ground would negate some various penalties. Floating above the surface of the water or floating above loose desert sand. Otherwise I think this is fine.

Flaming Meteor Fist: I renamed Rocket Punch for you. That also said, instant version of Orichlacum Fists of Battle? You mean the Adamant Fists of Battle right? If so slap a +3m surcharge on it if you want to use the rocket fist. The willing crippling effect can avoid a WP surcharge but as of right now using 4m + temporarily crippling to use brawl at ranged is far too good.

I mean it works but its not exactly original. It doesn't grab me or give me a reason to use it like the other warstriders do, rather it makes me want to use the Behemoth as a mount. As I'd get very similar features but none of the involvement of making an artifact. It lacks originality, something to define the Warstrider itself. There's no wyld fuckery like I was expecting, there was a grand total of one Fin Funnel charm which could've EASILY been expanded into its own tree, and it doesn't remind me of Lazengan or Mazinger Z.

The rating is: You tried. This would work as a first draft, but come back once you've refined it some more.

>The charmset really isn't bad. Despite doomsayers.

No, no its really bad.

The hell is wrong with investigation? I've heard a couple constant complaints about a few places, but this is the first time I've ever actually heard anything about that in particular.

no, it's some wildmutant barbarian thing. I had assumed they were an adaptation of one of the 1e lunars

because demons are pokemon. probably has a belt of modified ysral crystals to store them in

how do demons like being in the underworld

Things in favour of King of Dragonblooded Ass happening:

- It's awesome
- I'm a professional games coder, so a KoDP-alike is easily inside my capabilities

Things against Shogun of Elemental Dragon Sass happening:

- OPP would fucking crucify me if it wasn't a free game
- I have no art skills
- I'm a professional games coder, so I have like no free time whatsoever

>OPP would crucify you if it wasn't a free game

You could always just send them an email to see what they'd want in order to let you do it, user. A lot of times they're fine with just a bit of recognition or basic shit. If they want to dig, then you could just make it a free game you do in your spare time.

Dunno if this has already been posted, but this is Minton in the Ask The Devs thread on the OPP forums:

>In future, Kickstarter stretch goals will provide supplementary material to be published separately from the book itself, in the vein of Miracles of the Solar Exalted.
>We want the text of the book proper to be completely finished by the time we reach the Kickstarter stage.
>This way we don't delay the book in order to write and incorporate stretch goals, and we don't risk ending up with an incomplete-feeling book if some stretch goals are missed (or a bloated-feeling book if enough stretch goals are hit).

LORDY LORDY HALLELUJAH

This has been a thing for like...a year and a half now or something dude. It was a thing before the corebook even came out

>You could always just send them an email to see what they'd want in order to let you do it, user. A lot of times they're fine with just a bit of recognition or basic shit. If they want to dig, then you could just make it a free game you do in your spare time.

Bear in mind OPP have to run everything past WW, who are owned by a /v/ publisher.

Oh, well shit. There goes that idea.

This, yeah. They'd planned to do it that way ever since the shitstorm from after the core kickstarter started.

Don't. Or rather, don't without explicit permission to do so.

If you put anything in it that is trademarked, and the holder of the trademark is legally required to blast your ass for it because if they don't then they lose the right to claim that trademark anymore - so it doesn't matter if you make it free or not; using other people's shit without permission is just a bad idea.

Other alternative: make a game clearly inspired by Exalted that is also clearly not Exalted and contains no direct representation or emulation of any actual Exalted stuff... which is both a lot more effort and less likely to be as appealing to Exalted fans, so is probably defeating the reason you have the urge in the first place.

>Other alternative: make a game clearly inspired by Exalted that is also clearly not Exalted and contains no direct representation or emulation of any actual Exalted stuff... which is both a lot more effort and less likely to be as appealing to Exalted fans, so is probably defeating the reason you have the urge in the first place.

I've actually made one before, or at least started - I created the beginnings of a roguelike using 2.5 rules, wrote to them about it, and their stated requirement were :

- Acknowledge that it was based on Exalted
- Include their trademark
- Don't make money

Thing is, though, I can't really justify the work needed for this without charging for the thing, not least since I'd need to get artists involved too.

To be clear, I'm not contradicting you - their requirements pretty obviously enforce their trademarks. However I'd need to talk to OPP about it again, as they've changed ownership since I did the other project.

(I've considered updating it to 3E but I'm pretty sure it's impossible.)

> I'm currently playing a game where I'm literally scavenging an ancient magically advanced theme park for toys. Literally silly themed districts like fucking disneyland.

Is it called Nuka World?
youtube.com/watch?v=DIneiOpuS2M

Thanks for the feedback!

>You mean the Adamant Fists of Battle right?
Yes. I've corrected that in my own document, but I can't edit the pastebin any more.

> If so slap a +3m surcharge on it if you want to use the rocket fist. The willing crippling effect can avoid a WP surcharge but as of right now using 4m + temporarily crippling to use brawl at ranged is far too good.
Thanks! This is the sort of feedback that I was hoping for!

>There's no wyld fuckery like I was expecting
Well, it's an Orichalcum warstrider, not a Moonsilver one; it's why its evocations were mostly oriented around light, either using it directly or using it to remote-control unattached pieces of the warstrider. Also, Reality-Stabilizing Cannonade doesn't count a little?

>there was a grand total of one Fin Funnel charm which could've EASILY been expanded into its own tree
It was, though? It's what Wings Spread, Death Blossoms, Reality-Stabilizing Cannonade, and Godsigh of Noonday Triumph were.

> it doesn't remind me of Lazengan or Mazinger Z.
Rocket Punch is one of Mazinger Z's main attacks, and it resembles Lazengan aesthetically and in its ability to eat enemy attacks with the face on its stomach, though I suppose maybe it's also a bit more along the lines of the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann than the Lazengan when its aurora is active.

Not that user, but man, imagine how much smoother the game would be if they cut down on some redundant/too samey shit. If they actually made a system for Exalted rather than trying to adhere to the shit Storyteller system and the "hurr gotta have 9 stats/25 abilities even though it doesn't work too well and we have several abilities that just the same fucking thing with slight flavor differences".

Chop out App entirely, fuse Cha+Manip. Sorry, but being socially graceful involves both charisma and the ability to not always directly tell the truth. Get rid of Pres and Socialize, fuse them, you literally need both to actually socialize in real life, you can't have one without the other, etc. Re-fuse MA to Brawl, this never should've been un-seperated, this was a specific improvement 2E did. Int and Wits get merged as well. Unfuck Craft entirely. And more.

Of course all of this is just a dream, we'd need a 4E to finally rid ourselves of the shitty Storyteller system and dev's smart enough to go "Fuck it, we HAVE to get rid of Storyteller, it was a bad system in the 90's and age did it no favors".